Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,866 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
bmac_aggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does it get any better?
JustPanda
AG
Gotta get some 10th Mountain Whiskey

It's NUKING in glenwood.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Noted! Staying in Frisco so looks like the snow will be our way in a bit.

You by chance know which runs at Copper I can find some cliffs at?
JustPanda
AG
For best cliffs I'd go up Storm King to Hallelujah Ridge to Hallelujah and then up Excelerator and then back up Storm King to Spaulding Bowl chutes then up Resolution over through down CDL or Brennans or Mine Dump to go back up Excelerator then up Storm King and then either lap Spaulding or Hallelujah or turn into Enchanted Forest. There's a lot of really sick gnarly steep and fun terrain up those chairs.

Hoyt Ag
AG
Panda, Sorry to hear about your dad. Prayers for you all.

If you are ever gonna be near Steamboat or Meeker, let me know. Beers on me.
HUEY04
AG
What's the danger in riding with a backpack? I forgot to bring one on my last trip and was planning to have one when I go to Telluride later this month for mid-layers, hydration bladder, beers, power bars, etc.
JustPanda
AG
Hydration bladder and soft things are fine. The danger comes from back slapping or ejecting out and onto your back. Anything hard in the backpack is a broken back or ribs.

We have a little system:

Shooters for the lifts, beers for the trees

If you go beers on chair lift, what we do is leave the backpack in the trees (if it's a warmer day, we bury the beers in the snow), and then swing by and grab 1-2 at a time and crush those on the lift up and leave the other beer in pants pocket for next lift.

Backpacks can also get hung up on the lift.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I ski with a backpack but it's pretty much just filled with snacks for my daughter and a hydration bladder.

Getting hung up on the lift is definitely a risk and something I stupidly had happen a couple of weeks ago. The waist strap, that I unbuckle every time I get on the lift, got hung up on the seat. Since then, I buckle that one and tuck it away so it can't get hung up and just ski with the shoulder straps.

If I'm solo or with buddies I don't carry it and just carry my beers in my bibs and bury em in the snow on the run somewhere.
tamc93
AG
Made the drive from Reno to South Tahoe.

Roads through the pass heavy snow and snow pack.

Other side of summit was clearing up and not much snow in town. Mountain has been getting a few inches each day after the dump, so hopeful for the next few days.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
rather be fishing
AG
I skied with a CamelBak several times last year and it was probably 9:1 on wishing I didn't have it vs. glad I had it.

I'd rather leave the house 2 hours earlier and get good parking and not have to lug that thing around.

Having a locker this year, though, I have voiced my opinion about how annoying all of the non-locker renters are who leave their crap all over the rented out area.

I guess it's a never ending conflict. I pay a crap ton of money for my locker and I shouldn't have to deal with the randos sitting right in front on my locker and leaving their gear bags in my way. But the slope should also have a place those dailies can put their crap the isn't the $10 locker that barely fits a pair of boots. It's they're choice to leave their stuff out where it's possible going to get stolen.

Overall, it's probably something Alterra will fix but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for it.
Yesterday
AG
rather be fishing said:

I skied with a CamelBak several times last year and it was probably 9:1 on wishing I didn't have it vs. glad I had it.

I'd rather leave the house 2 hours earlier and get good parking and not have to lug that thing around.

Having a locker this year, though, I have voiced my opinion about how annoying all of the non-locker renters are who leave their crap all over the rented out area.

I guess it's a never ending conflict. I pay a crap ton of money for my locker and I shouldn't have to deal with the randos sitting right in front on my locker and leaving their gear bags in my way. But the slope should also have a place those dailies can put their crap the isn't the $10 locker that barely fits a pair of boots. It's they're choice to leave their stuff out where it's possible going to get stolen.

Overall, it's probably something Alterra will fix but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for it.

What is the rented out area?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I've thought about a locker, but we go from the car to the lift 99% of the time.

It would be nice to not have to walk from the lot to the lodge in ski boots.
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I've thought about a locker, but we go from the car to the lift 99% of the time.

I use a pair of neoprene dive socks to and from the parking lot, and for any Apres Ski. Insulated and they fold flat and I can put them in my pocket while skiing, or leave them in a backpack.

Also, regular dive booties (with regular shoe type soles) make great camp shoes, in cool weather.
Drip99
AG
I use the magellan snow boots or duck boots from academy. They are $20 or less and if someone steals them..oh well. I will have to walk back to car in ski boots that day...but nobody has every touched them so far

https://www.academy.com/p/magellan-outdoors-mens-pac-boot-ii
tamc93
AG
Excellent Day 1. Definitely got my workout in!
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
rather be fishing
AG
Yesterday said:

rather be fishing said:

What is the rented out area?

The entire lower level of the Lodge at Schweitzer is rented out lockers. It also provides a modicum of a congregating area for the race schools to get their kids in one area that isn't the main floor of the Lodge.

It's very convenient for me this year because it's right outside of the Kinder Kamp lobby. The parking situation is absolute crap though. I leave my house so that I can get there at 7:30ish Pacific so I can fight the employees for a spot that doesn't require me walking up and down a really slushy steep hill, and instead walking ~500yds up a moderate sloped road.

They charge $25/day for the prime lot, which is surely a money maker, during the prime part of the season. The issue is if you have to park at a lower lot, you have to ride the lift up to the Lodge area, and me having a locker and my skis up at the Lodge, that's a big PITA to have to ride up without skis.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
InfantryAg said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I use a pair of neoprene dive socks to and from the parking lot, and for any Apres Ski. Insulated and they fold flat and I can put them in my pocket while skiing, or leave them in a backpack.

Also, regular dive booties (with regular shoe type soles) make great camp shoes, in cool weather.

That's interesting. If actually got a pair of neoprene socks that I use for wade fishing, so I'll try this out soon.
LRHF
AG
Another 10" overnight at Purg, Today will be another amazing day! SW Colorado is getting a decent snowpack and summer fishing conditions are improving with every storm 39" out of this storm so far!!!

RangerRick9211
AG
Ugh, I'm pack gang for sho. I never ski without it. West coast packs have some hairy side country (literally all of Baker, Heather Canyon at Meadows, Chair 6 at Crystal). I run an In-Reach, probe, shovel and beacon by default. Bladder and snacks. Gummy stone and multi-tool. Alternate goggle lenses + spare contacts. Sony RX-100 camera. Plus whatever **** my wife and daughter throw in there throughout the day.

I also have some bootpack / skin options in-bounds. So Voile strap and slap the skis on the pack as well.

I've even rocked my avy airbag on a lift before heading to Heather / Private Reserve on dump days. It's totally overkill, but I have one and I have a family - so whatever, I'll take the insurance.

I do the same for MTB/gravel/road cycling. I don't want anything in my pockets. It's all bar bag, top tube bag or saddle bag.
MouthBQ98
AG
Awesome. Hopefully most of it is still there in 2 weeks, or even more.

On a side note: the Amazon cheap brand ski pants trial and error is interesting. They seem to have no size that will fit someone that wears a 32 pants. So far, everything has been too small or falls down without a belt. Nothing between. Oh well, trial and error is the price paid for not shopping retail and paying retail prices.
SockDePot
MouthBQ98 said:

So far, everything has been too small or falls down without a belt. Nothing between.

This is the exact reason I switched to a bib. Not a size 32 though….

It only sucks when you have to take a dump in the lodge crapper. Sitting there wondering what the proportions of urine, poo, and melted snow it's sitting in and about to be on my back, chest, and shoulders.
MouthBQ98
AG
Better than almost getting stuck in a tree well trying to take a piss out of sight on a seldom used trail. I had to use my boots to cut steps in the snow and climb myself back out.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Made the (very late) decision to do CO for Spring Break. We have 3 kids (13, 10 & 8). Any areas we should vector in on based on our priorities below:

• convenience to DEN (flying in from IAH)
  • avoiding massive crowds
  • slopeside preferred
  • new to CO mountains (usually do UT or MT), so relative ease to navigate
  • ease of access to rental gear for kiddos

Thanks!
MAS444
AG
Quote:

These two probably don't jive, especially for Spring Break.
RGRAg1/75
AG
MAS444 said:

Quote:

These two probably don't jive, especially for Spring Break.
I understand that it's all going to be busy. But are some places more crowded than others during this time?

My wife is trying to get me to look at Breck, and I already know that place will be a zoo. But maybe they all are and I just need to "pack my patience" and say "yes, dear."
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
They will all be except maybe Arapahoe Basin, but each resort has its areas that are better and worse for avoiding that.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
There are probably some differing opinions on Breck but other than crowds it checks most every box you have.

Depending on how experienced your kids are (sounds like not incredible based on your post) the base areas are going to be as crowded as any resort out there. The one disclaimer I will give is if they are decent skiers and you can stay on some of the more intermediate terrain it's not THAT bad. Also lots of slopeside accommodations in Breck so you aren't really dealing with the parking lot nonsense. Makes all the difference with kiddos to have ski in ski out type access
chickencoupe16
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Made the (very late) decision to do CO for Spring Break. We have 3 kids (13, 10 & 8). Any areas we should vector in on based on our priorities below:

• slopeside preferred
  • new to CO mountains (usually do UT or MT), so relative ease to navigate
  • ease of access to rental gear for kiddos

Thanks!
Loveland Ski Area for crowds and convenience. Their daycare is great and they have a ski school but I can't speak to its quality.
MAS444
AG
Been a long time and never went Spring Break...but Beaver Creek never seemed very crowded and is super convenient for rentals and everything.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Pasquale Liucci said:

There are probably some differing opinions on Breck but other than crowds it checks most every box you have.

Depending on how experienced your kids are (sounds like not incredible based on your post) the base areas are going to be as crowded as any resort out there. The one disclaimer I will give is if they are decent skiers and you can stay on some of the more intermediate terrain it's not THAT bad. Also lots of slopeside accommodations in Breck so you aren't really dealing with the parking lot nonsense. Makes all the difference with kiddos to have ski in ski out type access
2 older kiddos can run black diamonds. Younger is almost there, but solid on blues. Ski school for 4 seasons, albeit only one long trip per year. We were in MT just before Xmas.

We don't plan to do ski school for this trip.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Man again… different opinions abound, but if the kiddos are that advanced you can get out early from the base areas and ski the higher stuff without much issue. I've skied spring break at Breck several times and never had a major issues with crowds outside of the base areas and designated slow skiing areas off the main lifts.

We had a condo one year that was about a hundred fifty yard walk to peak 8 base and ski in… super convenient. I think the only time we ran into issues with lines was when going over to the peak 6 complex around lunch and got hung up at peak 7 base but we should have just planned better around timing. Lots of good bowl/alpine terrain too. It's not Vail but I've always enjoyed myself there
JustPanda
AG
Breck would be the absolute LAST place I'd be during TX Spring Break. Vail and BC are MUCH less crowded. WP will even be better.

Loveland is actually a SOLID idea or Copper. Is probs pick Copper if I was going to Clear Creek/Summit CO.
JustPanda
AG
Just a little ski shop and local factoid here:

When you discuss a skiers ability, you shouldn't really drop the "they/I ski black diamonds". That's one of our biggest inside jokes at the shop w tourists.

You really should be discussing their ability to parallel turns, weight distributions, inside outside edge knowledge, etc.

Anyone can huck down a black or double black or even off a cliff. Doesn't mean they do it correctly or safely.

So yeah, when you get asked ability level, don't mention you can ski black diamonds or you'll get the old here we go again face palm by everyone working there.

It's the ski shop equivalent of Texags with TX Black Panther sightings.
SockDePot
JustPanda said:

Breck would be the absolute LAST place I'd be during TX Spring Break. Vail and BC are MUCH less crowded. WP will even be better.

Experienced this a few years ago. Breck is insane during Texas spring break. Hour + waits on lifts at its worst.
RGRAg1/75
AG
JustPanda said:

Just a little ski shop and local factoid here:

When you discuss a skiers ability, you shouldn't really drop the "they/I ski black diamonds". That's one of our biggest inside jokes at the shop w tourists.

You really should be discussing their ability to parallel turns, weight distributions, inside outside edge knowledge, etc.

Anyone can huck down a black or double black or even off a cliff. Doesn't mean they do it correctly or safely.

So yeah, when you get asked ability level, don't mention you can ski black diamonds or you'll get the old here we go again face palm by everyone working there.

It's the ski shop equivalent of Texags with TX Black Panther sightings.

When I talk to the ski school instructors, I use technical jargon. When interacting with tourists, which is what we are when we head to the mountains, I use tourist jargon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.