Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,887 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JustPanda said:

Wouldn't be worried at all. They have a 30+ inch base and 18 inches expected over the next 10 days. I wouldn't even start to worry. All the need is a another nice roller or 2 and you're gravy.

Yeah skied WC a few days earlier this week.
Snowmobile another day
Wolf Creek was 33" inch base and was 100% open. I only encountered a few icy spots but it was fine
Locals said it was least amount of snow they have had in years but again it was fine.
Waterski02
AG
No worries. 7 can ebb and flow throughout the day. It varies a bit, but you can ski Vail and either chase or follow the crowds almost everywhere. Except 2 & 4 during peak times.
JustPanda
AG
Do you live in Vail?
Sims
AG
JustPanda said:

Ill shoot you an email w the amount that's being credited back to your card along w a copy of the receipt ASAP. SUPER SORRY!

Just checking in on this.
JustPanda
AG
First day back at shop is tomorrow morning
TshirtVulture
So update to my WC update from yesterday. Much better today as far as crowds. Needs snow. More icy spots today and rocks popping up. Caught a rock I didn't see but heard loud and clear a was ass over elbows in short order. Fortunately all good lol.
JustPanda
AG
Sounds like you need to check your bases if you hit a rock and went down that hard. Reason 2,000,123 to not be on anything but rental gear w the insurance (id usually never recommend the insurance but this year I would)

Next measurable snowfall will probs be next Sunday/Monday.

12-16 inches expected in the San Juans/Sangre. 7-10 expected in BC/Vail. Sumco forecasted to miss out again as Breck and Keystone expected to get 3-4 inches total.

Again, if I could, I would be pivoting away from Keystone and Breck. This just isn't their year. They are literally catching 1/2 or less that the hills around them and that's been for EVERY storm that's rolled through. I can't think of a single roller where they came out better than forecasted.
JustPanda
AG
Colorado Ski Base Update:

Keystone: 24 inch bsse 50% open
Breck: 23 inch base 52% open
Vail: 37 inch base 87% open
BC: 35 inch bae 76% open
Snowmass: 34 inch bsse 65% open
WC: 29 mid mountain, 33 summit 100% open
Purgatory: 22 inch base 80% open
SS: 50 inch base 88% open
Telly: 28 inch base 56% open

BIG snowfall coming to the San Juan's and Sangres this Sunday/Monday. Should produce 1-2ft in localalized spots.

Everywhere is expected to pickup at least 6 inches EXCEPT Summit County. Sumco expected 3-4 inches total. Purgatory and WC and Telly should improve dramatically. Vail/BC/Snowmass will get a decent hit and enough to push around and play. Summit if the forecast holds isn't getting enough to do really anything.

So yeah, the slide is southern CO from the 7th - 10th.

Edit to add: this storm is rolling through UT before it makes it way through southern CO. Expect 1-2ft across most of the SLC hills (Alta to PC to Solitude).
watty
AG
I see Pagosa is expecting 1-3 inches this Thursday, any idea what they expect up at WC that day?

We're skiing Wed- Sat so we'll just miss the big snow arriving on Sunday sadly.
JustPanda
AG
Colorado Snowpack 12/31/23
71% of Median
27% of Peak Median
8% Percentile (so basically bottom 3 out of last 30).

JustPanda
AG
2 through 1/4.

Edit to add: that's not a summit estimate, it's the mid mountain estimate. So 2-3 mid mountain usually means 4-6+ at summit.

Headed into Vail to ski and process your refund Sims

Hitting Vail at open and BC at 1. I'll lyk how they look.
MAS444
AG
Anyone here ever ski Winter Park ? Have a number of friends with places in/around there. It's interesting that it's hardly mentioned here.
JustPanda
AG
It's a great hill. They are on the same snow train as Steamboat.
MAS444
AG
Interesting. I'd think snow more like breck just based on proximity. Obviously that's not the only variable.
JustPanda
AG
Windy app is great to see the current winds across the state. It kinda shows you how the snow comes in across the high county.

It's AWESOME for checking where snow drifts may be piling up because you can zoom hella in on specific spots.
JustPanda
AG
Sims, just processed your refund.
JustPanda
AG
Here's the wind pattern for most of the storms across northern CO. This is captured for the next storm blowing in.

RangerRick9211
AG
Hood was great today to close out '23. The 5 yr. old is also officially loose on the mountain. It's been a slog, 15+ lessons over 2 years, 10 or so days of us with her and a leash, but it all came together and she ripped the Daisy lift all day with her coach and didn't want to leave.

Snow was surprisingly great. Fluff up top. Fast groomers low that sprung to corn with some sun. 3" overnight. Feet by Friday if the forecast holds.

JustPanda
AG
Whats the most vertical ft you guys have ever caught in a day? I think our record was like 68,000ft at BC ripping Golden Eagle on a hella cold hard pack fast day w nobody else skiing. We took like 27 chairs that day.
Jock 07
AG
Park city a couple years ago. Want to say I broke 60k one day back when I lived here in CO last time ~10 years ago before I had kids. Didn't ski vail properties back then so it most likely happened at either copper or winter park.
JustPanda
AG
Thats ripping
McNasty
AG
Purgatory needs that snow. They have a lot of runs open that honestly shouldn't be. The worst was near lift 8 on the far back side. So many rocks - thankfully running rentals with the extra insurance. Returning the gear, we were told we would have been charged for damages had we not been covered.
RangerRick9211
AG
14 runs for 55k' in only 41 miles is some steep skiing.
Jock 07
AG
That's what I was thinking as well. Not sure how accurate those numbers are. I would have figured I hit a lot more lifts than that but who knows. I did go pretty hard all day that day, didn't stop for lunch or beers or anything.
maroonblood90
AG
McNasty said:

Purgatory needs that snow. They have a lot of runs open that honestly shouldn't be. The worst was near lift 8 on the far back side. So many rocks - thankfully running rentals with the extra insurance. Returning the gear, we were told we would have been charged for damages had we not been covered.
Agreed. We did not ski today and honestly not sure if anyone is excited to go up tomorrow. Going home in the 2nd. Bummer year here. Durango is always a fun town though so that helped.
MouthBQ98
AG
It's got 4 weeks to build in for me. Last year was awesome there. Hate to hear it is so sparse this year.
Yesterday
AG
Just want to say I'm glad Panda has this passion and sharing it with us. A big asset to the skiers here.
JustPanda
AG
Jock, those numbers show you how massive PC Canyons is on an acreage basis. Also helps show why skis were a killer mode of transportation back in the day if you knew the right lines to take between ridge lines. Think about trying to traverse that amount of terrain on foot. Ay ay ay.
JustPanda
AG
Aww thank you. Happy to help. I know I can come off a bit much at times but I really appreciate all of you guys and gals as well.

If anyone's coming to Vail or BC and needs buddy passes, please lmk. I'm happy to help alleviate as much of the cost of skiing as I can. You guys/gals are like family
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Yesterday said:

Just want to say I'm glad Panda has this passion and sarinf it with us. A big asset to the skiers here.

+1 on this. I don't know if I've missed prior editions of this thread and panda's input but it's killer

Happy new years to all!
LRHF
AG
Here's my biggest day at Purg. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of vertical but this was a big day!

If anybody comes to Purg and beats my personal record, I'll buy you a beer at the Nugget! I want An accurate run count to confirm!!!

JustPanda
AG
29 lifts is a massive day… if you take a full 8 hour day, that's running a turn almost every 15 minutes w no breaks… that's some ski ninja warrior levels of leg cardio.
maroon10
AG
Steamboat in 29 days. In-laws there now and disappointed in the snow. Hopefully they get dumped on in January!
docb
AG
maroon10 said:

Steamboat in 29 days. In-laws there now and disappointed in the snow. Hopefully they get dumped on in January!

I didn't ski today. Yesterday I thought the snow was still ok. The Pony Express lift opened a few days ago and it needs a little more snow for sure. I will keep getting better. Probably won't be like last year though.
HUEY04
AG
I skied Canyons Village at PC today and the groomed runs I did were all in great shape even though it must have been 40 and dead calm. Everyone was shucking mid layers in a hurry. I hadn't been on skis in 12 yrs but it came back like riding a bike and I was feeling in control and confident on the blues in no time. Now I just need to go find a good sports bar

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.