Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,897 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bluebird skiing today in PC Canyons side. Dumped a couple of inches last night which brought out all the locals this am. 30 minute wait to get up the mountain. Pretty good after that.
trip98
AG
JustPanda said:

Come up and let him hang out. Spa, sauna, hot tub, and maybe do a dog sled or snow mobile? If you're headed around Vail we have a couple sleds… Will be back in the Grand/Vail Valley Tuesday.

Appreciate the offer and was gonna ping you to try to meet up for a drink or some skiing as we were gonna be in Dillon for 4 days but we're in Houston so had to cancel big stuff
JustPanda
AG
We decided to pivot on Tulum and head up to JH next week to see the in laws for a quick trip before heading down south. Gonna be up there for a week and then head down to Tulum on the 18th. Snows too good to pass up along w some good family time. If anyone's in the area the 11th - 17th lmk.

Booked a flight to visit our Argie friends in July. Bariloche here we come Super stoked to hit up Patagonia. First time skiing Argentina, then heading to Antarctica.
HouAg12
AG
Headed to JHMR 7-11th
Pahdz
Is your wife's jacket Obermeyer? My wife's got that same one (if it is)
MouthBQ98
AG
Tried waxing skis for the first time with a kit I bought. Seems pretty straightforward but it does apparently take a little practice. I didn't got quite heavy enough so I d see up with a couple of bad patches the first time and had to go back for some touch ups. It also took some time to feather out at the tips as you can't get the scraper all the way to the ends with the guards.

The next time I will be a little more liberal with the wax up front, as scraping it seems easier if there is a bit more wax layer. I'll better at it. Even my crappy job was a step up from the rough factory wax.

I also did a stretch/I punch job on my shells for my wonderful genetic MT1 bunions. A heat gun and a dowel rod with a wooden ball on the end worked against the inside of the shell streched it out a little bit, then a long clamp with a wooden ball on one end and a bigger pvc cup with a rubber pad on the other while it was still hot provided a little more of a punch in the widest location. Fits. Very snug but comfortable now.
Jock 07
AG
JP, didn't realize how prolific your rental shop is. There was a location in the hotel I stayed at (Doubletree). I almost went ahead and rented to avoid tearing up my skis but I didn't. Kind of regret it now, oh well.
Yesterday
AG
Pahdz said:

Is your wife's jacket Obermeyer? My wife's got that same one (if it is)

It is! She loves it.
RangerRick9211
AG
**** Jan between the wind storm and Covid. Little and I spent the afternoon on Spur. She's doing so good this season.

Hope all enjoyed the snow this weekend.

RangerRick9211
AG
My ASMR joys are working on my bikes and tuning our skis.

The only thing I've got for you are drill brushes. Brass, nylon and horse can all be bought for a normal hand drill. I also use the Swix paper to soak excess wax.

And a good shop vac. **** gets everywhere.

So therapeutic.
JustPanda
AG
We layer our wax on HEAVY because you can always buff and scrape what you don't need. The key is having the iron at the right temp and really soaking the wax into the base. It's ALOT easier with D clamps to hold the skis in place while you scrape. When you get to the toes w the guard, we usually end up w a fine horsehair brush and use it to feather out the toes and then do some brush strokes almost the entire length of the ski to give the bottom a little bit of pattern.

Don't worry about any excess wax that bunches up on the top picker portion of the toes, that's supper hard to get off and since the toe doesn't make full contact w the snow, not something you really have to worry about. Over time, that excess wax will naturally shave off as you ski.

Edit to add: if you ever want to pickup any Swix waxes or irons or brushes or gummy stones diamond edge bevels etc - lmk. I can get those for you at DIRT cheap prices through the shop. We go through hundreds of pounds of wax a year and do ALOT of hand edging.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Shasta / NorCal is getting dumped on… but it's so windy that all the lifts are on hold. Was planning on taking off today to ski the pow but went to work instead. Hoping that they closed all day so I can get some freshies tomorrow. Since they were closed yesterday as well, it would be 24"+ of untouched.
jpb1999
AG
May not be the right thread to ask (looked in Travel and didn't see anything better), but going to be in WC/PS next week and thought about driving to Durango for the day. Anything cool there to do during the day? Will be there with my wife and 2 kids, 9 and 11.

We may just walk around town a bit and find a cool place to eat. Any cool restaurants? Prefer a brewery type of place.

Any must sees while there? Is the train depot (Silverton Narrow Gauge RR) worth seeing? Didn't want to do train ride as we did not have 5/6 hours to kill.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Alterra buying A-Basin.

https://www.powder.com/trending-news/arapahoe-basin-sold-alterra
docb
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Alterra buying A-Basin.

The prices are going to go way up. I really like A Basin because of the old feel.
Jock 07
AG
They better not kill the beach
rather be fishing
AG
docb said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Alterra buying A-Basin.

The prices are going to go way up. I really like A Basin because of the old feel.
They haven't made any changes at Schweitzer yet but I expect they'll be coming.

I was talking to a guy in the ski shop that has a location up at the mountain and he said he's worked in shops at 2 other hills they bought out. Per him, the SOP is to do nothing for 2 seasons and then they start making changes.

We'll see. I'm already having a hard time justifying the expense we paid this year for a my season pass and 3 months of childcare/lessons, plus a locker in the lodge.

The parking situation is absolute crap, otherwise I wouldn't have any problem carrying my skis in everyday.
rich1
AG
Does anyone ski New Mexico? Heading to Santa Fe this weekend. Looks like they should be in good shape.
clinte234
AG
We ate at Steamworks Brewing Company in Durango....really good with some unique menu items. I have heard Carvers (another brewery) is good, but we have not tried it yet.

The train depot has a really neat museum attached to it. I really enjoyed it...my kids liked it enough to give me 45 minutes to an hour to look around!

Main Street is fun to walk up and down...enough interesting stores to kill some time.
Legal Custodian
AG
rich1 said:

Does anyone ski New Mexico? Heading to Santa Fe this weekend. Looks like they should be in good shape.
I just got back from Angel Fire yesterday. It got about a foot of snow over the course of the weekend and was pretty good skiing. There's no one on the mountain Thursday or Friday but Saturday was pretty packed as to be expected with the fresh fall on Friday. But even with it being packed, we maybe had to wait 10 min max at a lift. Thursday and Friday there were no waits whatsoever. But with it not being the biggest mountain by 11am or so on Saturday, all the runs were choppy as all get out but the wind and fresh snow smoothed it out by 2pm or so after everyone left.

If you're wanting groomed runs, they don't do a good job of keeping up with it as they were hit or miss on what runs they decided to groom. I can't recommend the ski school enough if you got young kids. Saw a ton of Ags out there too.
MouthBQ98
AG
Carvers is good. Get a flight, and then they have this sandwich that is sort of like a cheesesteak. It is delicious.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
rather be fishing said:

docb said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Alterra buying A-Basin.

They haven't made any changes at Schweitzer yet but I expect they'll be coming.

I was talking to a guy in the ski shop that has a location up at the mountain and he said he's worked in shops at 2 other hills they bought out. Per him, the SOP is to do nothing for 2 seasons and then they start making changes.

We'll see. I'm already having a hard time justifying the expense we paid this year for a my season pass and 3 months of childcare/lessons, plus a locker in the lodge.

The parking situation is absolute crap, otherwise I wouldn't have any problem carrying my skis in everyday.
Is Lookout Pass much further from where you are? Obviously, it's much smaller, but sometimes those smaller resorts are more family friendly. I probably sound like a broken record on this thread, but I love our little local hill that we go to.
ChipFTAC01
AG
rich1 said:

I skiied Santa Fe for the first time last spring break. Was very pleasantly surprised with what a great little mountain it was. Even being there in the middle of Texas spring break it was never crowded or had to wait for lines. Well laid out mountain. Great place for kids to learn. We're going back this spring break.
Drip99
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

rich1 said:

I skiied Santa Fe for the first time last spring break. Was very pleasantly surprised with what a great little mountain it was. Even being there in the middle of Texas spring break it was never crowded or had to wait for lines. Well laid out mountain. Great place for kids to learn. We're going back this spring break.
How were the conditions in NM over spring break? Might do Angel Fire but did not know if it was slushy or too warm?
ChipFTAC01
AG
That certainly is a possibility for any new Mexico spring skiing. We were lucky last year with the great snow they had but th first two days were definite spring skiing days. Snow was still in pretty good shape. It dumped the last day we skiied and it was killer.
JustPanda
AG
Alterra kinda already owned / controlled most of A Basin. I wouldn't expect to see a ton of changes outside of having to buy an Ikon pass to access.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Drip99 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

rich1 said:

How were the conditions in NM over spring break? Might do Angel Fire but did not know if it was slushy or too warm?

If skiing NM spring break go to a resort with a decent base already. It can be very warm over spring break and reduce the open ski terrain. While all these resorts in NM make snow…they cant make snow when temps don't get below freezing, which is common by March.
JustPanda
AG
28 degrees is the cut off for snow making at most hills.
jpb1999
AG
Sounds good! What is it called? Glanced at the menu and didn't see it...
MouthBQ98
AG
Four Corners Steak sandwich. Very much good.
Yesterday
AG
Dumping here in Park City. Got one more day of this fresh pow. Loving it.
rather be fishing
AG
It's 15 miles closer as the crow flies but about 2 hours more driving.

There's another 1 lift slope in Libby called a Turner Mountain I want to check out at some point. Lower elevation and they have already shut down for the year, pending a big dump of snow, which we probably won't get.

Silver Mountain is about 2.5 hours and there's also some places over in Spokane, but I have to drive past Schweitzer to get to them.
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Shasta / NorCal is getting dumped on… but it's so windy that all the lifts are on hold. Was planning on taking off today to ski the pow but went to work instead. Hoping that they closed all day so I can get some freshies tomorrow. Since they were closed yesterday as well, it would be 24"+ of untouched.
I went on Friday and there was still plenty of powder. Tried to go Saturday, but they ran out of parking. Even then it didn't look packed on the cameras, so It should still be very good into next weekend.

Why did I get a season pass when I can't even ski because of parking?!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
InfantryAg said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I went on Friday and there was still plenty of powder. Tried to go Saturday, but they ran out of parking. Even then it didn't look packed on the cameras, so It should still be very good into next weekend.

Why did I get a season pass when I can't even ski because of parking?!

Shasta parking fills up super fast for some reason. They've gotten more crowded on the weekends this year it seems like. We're headed there for Presidents Day weekend and I'm already dreading how much my 5 year is going to hate the lines.

You have a season pass to Shasta? Where abouts do you live? We've got passes to Mt A so we get cheap day lifts at Shasta, but they bumped it up this year to $45 instead of $25/day.
JustPanda
AG
Big snow coming to San Juan's and Sanger's this Wednesday / Thursday. If you're planning on driving anywhere in South/Central CO, please check CO Trip to check on lane closures and traction laws.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.