Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,903 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Exact reason why i won't get into mountain biking haha I love skiing and fly fishing too much and don't think I can fit it in.

Edit to add I'm in Houston too currently, got my head spinning!

Bach and Timberline spin the lifts all year. Skiing in the winter. MTB in the summer.

For T-Line, they spin both: MTB for the lower and Palmer for turns on the glacier through August. You can do both in the same day, in shorts!

You just gotta bail on Houston, my dude.
JustPanda
AG
Just left Glenwood. Headed to hit WP open and Vail close. Will report back on WP. 2 degrees at sun rise.
aggiec05
AG
Ok wife and I decided on a last minute trip this weekend to Colorado for a quick couple day skiing.
Likely flying out of Love going to Denver (better flexibility last minute travel time wise, possibly montrose as well) with a promo companion pass. I know all the slopes are going to be nuts this weekend, but where should we go?
Wife is a greens only gal for part of the day then on to Apres ski then I will hit some blues and easier black diamonds.
oldag941
AG
Gonna be busy but you already knew that…..I'd recommend Breck or Vail. It will keep the wife happy with Apres or shopping. The more successful you plan that, the more fun you will have on the slopes.
JustPanda
AG
Not Summit. I'd go to Vail or Beaver Creek. Winter Park wouldn't be terrible either.

Steamboat has the best snow but that's lot Denver.

Vail is a little better than WP right now. Skied them both today. Again, avoid the moguls.
C@LAg
RangerRick9211
AG
I know Red spun a bit at Bach today. Meadows had a peak gust of 100mph. No one on Hood even tried.

7' between now and Sunday. Lol.
JustPanda
AG
I maybe able to get my family's place in BC 1/12 - 1-16 or like 13th - 17th if anyone is interested.
Jock 07
AG
Panda, just found out my oldest is off school on Friday as well so not gonna make it to vail like hoped unfortunately. We'll probably wind up going back to keystone but not sure how long he'll last with the cold.
Thinking about taking next Thursday off to come up there though.
aggiec05
AG
already emailing you about this, let me know when you hear back.
bmac_aggie18
AG
2 years ago I planned a trip to Mt Hood Meadows in Mid-February hoping to hit a pow storm. It was 55 degrees all 3 ski days
RangerRick9211
AG
Skiing in rain, or shorts, is a right of privilege on Hood. It could be January or June.

We'll be spinning until July at least with this pack. So take your time getting up here.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

I know Red spun a bit at Bach today. Meadows had a peak gust of 100mph. No one on Hood even tried.

7' between now and Sunday. Lol.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C147ALVPmKq/?igsh=MWptb3RpeXIzN295MQ==

Ridiculous.

Mt Ashland finally opens tomorrow. My ski partner (my 5 year old daughter) has croup though. She's currently trying to convince my wife that she's well enough to get up on the mountain and feeling fine.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Holy crap. Avalanche at Palisades.

oldag941
AG
I just watched a Netflix documentary about one there back in the 80's. Killed 6 I believe.
Jock 07
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Holy crap. Avalanche at Palisades.

Damn, that's squaw, right?
Yesterday
AG
Dumb question but these usually occur on ungroomed back country runs? That's what I'm telling my wife either way.
LRHF
AG
Yesterday said:

Dumb question but these usually occur on ungroomed back country runs? That's what I'm telling my wife either way.

Yes, rare to have a slide in bounds.
RangerRick9211
AG
LRHF said:

Yesterday said:

Yes, rare to have a slide in bounds.

It is rare, but it happens.I have a beacon and Meadows does beacon check the Heather Canyon on big storm days. I have it anyways, so I do run it on pow days. I'm not saying in-bound folks should buy one, but I have it so why not?

And if you are skiing this week, especially in the trees, bring a shovel. Tree wells are no joke right now with the early season + big storms.
JustPanda
AG
Vail had 2 in bounds avalanches last year. Here's a picture I took of the larger one.
JustPanda
AG
Best thing ever to get out of a tree well: two tennis balls w the core drilled and 50 yards of rope between them. You go into a well, you lasso it around the next tree a pull out and up.

Most people either drown or get covered by the snow from the canopy above them when they start to fight out.

This is a low cost and easy way to just slide out.
LRHF
AG
Purg update!

Finally got my first day in the slopes today. Even after the last storm, we have plenty of places without enough snow.

The new snow is skied off and high volumes areas are a bit icy. Plenty of rocks and trees showing but the snow was generally good. More snow tonight and then again this weekend. No crowds today
CavitationAG
AG
LRHF said:

Purg update!

Finally got my first day in the slopes today. Even after the last storm, we have plenty of places without enough snow.

The new snow is skied off and high volumes areas are a bit icy. Plenty of rocks and trees showing but the snow was generally good. More snow tonight and then again this weekend. No crowds today

Be up there in the morning and will report back. Steamworks was dead tonight so if that's any indication we should have plenty of open space on the mountain tomorrow.
tmaggies
AG
Supposed to drive from Denver to Steamboat on Saturday. Texas flatlander in a Ford F150 4x4 to spend the week and obviously concerned about the weather. If the roads are open am I being overly concerned?
JustPanda
AG
It's going to be a ripper and a **** show across everything high country until Monday/Tuesday. I don't want to say you may not make it, but here's steamboats forecast. I really pity you or anyone else trying to drive this weekend and I'm on studded snow tires and 4wd. We're hunkering down and driving as little as possible. Gonna bus to Snowmass or ski sunlight.

Forecast right now for Friday into Saturday is 20-40+ mph winds on the passes or ever higher. That plus 10 inches on top of a foot Thursday and Friday combined isn't a receipt for getting anywhere. Can you look at rebooking and flying into Hayden? SWA wow sale is still going on. I'd really really consider it. If I did decide to drive it, I'd be really focused on weighting the back end correctly or else that things going sideways the first time you start on a decent grade that's snow covered / icy.

I'm supposed to be in Vail Sunday morning and I'm giving it about a 2% chance of happening w the forecast and I'm only driving 64 miles.

JustPanda
AG
6 inches are still ripping in Vail. Glenwood picked up 5 overnight. Glenwood Canyon currently closed. Supposed to snow everyday through Monday. Probs gonna be a total **** show on 70 and any other major high country road. Wife is in Ridgway and they got ripped yesterday too. Looks like she may be there until Monday/Tuesday at this rate.

To echo the above poster, the hills are still bare. What's fallen recently has been pushed off most of the hill. This storm set will refill a lot of those spots but where it's bare it still needs multiple feet to level out. Luckily, we're getting those numbers, but give the mountains some time to acclimate. Don't go rip this new stuff and think it's uniform across the mountain. It's not and you'll find yourself in some real gnar if you don't keep your awareness.
tmaggies
AG
We drove up Tuesday to see kids and grandson and never had flights. Have a condo at the Ranch with another couple that's flying. May just have to wait it out safety wise and delay our arrival unfortunately.
maroon10
AG
Switched our almost 6-year old's snowboard lesson in the boat to skis. She's our "I don't want to do that" /scared kid and even though her big sister and parents snowboard, we don't want her to hate the experience. Will be her second time doing ski lessons. 3-year-old joining for the first time too! Hoping the dump of snow they've gotten wears down just before arrival.
oldag941
AG
We stay at The Ranch in Steamboat each spring break. Have for 8 years. Great setup.
BCO07
AG
We ended up leaving south lake tahoe a day early to avoid the storm. The skiing started to get icy the second half of Tuesday and we made the decision to cut bait. I hated missing a day of skiing but definitely felt good about the decision while I was getting a massage rather than driving 40 miles of mountain pass with chains on. They ended up closing the resort Wednesday by 10am anyway
JustPanda
AG
She's making the right choice. Ski technology has far surpassed snowboard technology,

When I started doing rentals we probably did as many snowboards as skis, now it's probably 8/1 sets of skis per board.
JustPanda
AG
When does the reservation start? Maybe head up tomorrow? Saturday/Sunday are supposed to be the worst.
BCO07
AG
That's interesting. The guy at the rental shop mentioned that basically everyone over 25 skiis rather than snow boards
maroon10
AG
Yeah, trust me, I have thought about switching; I have only snowboarded. However, we've had two friends that switched to ski and tore their ACLs during their first few days at it, so I have decided I will snowboard until my body can't get up off the ground. Our 8 year is obsessed with it but naturally athletic, so she caught on super quick. However, being from Texas we can only get up there once a year so the harder kid will be a skier. Right choice for sure!
JustPanda
AG
In my kids grades, they all have 1 maybe two kids that board. Almost all of the young kids now ski.

The boarders are usually 30 to late 40s but but a lot of old boarders have hung up the board for skis. We don't have a single person in the shop that primarily boards. We all have them and can go out if we wanted, but we pick ski bikes over boards almost any day. Only time I really get on a board is to help beginners learn.

Once skis started incorporating camber and rocker etc they kinda stole the thunder of boards. Plus, you have a lot of mountains now restricting snow board access.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.