Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,900 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
AgPrognosticator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Sky in 10 days. Anyone else in that part of the world?
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
It's $27 for the gondola lots and garage. I usually just pay for the garage, have never used the shuttle.
agracer
AG
JustPanda said:

LOVE me some Black Crows

Do you know which ski they used? Probs the Camox if I had to guess. One of my favorite skis in production. Now they're spoiled for life so get ready to always get demos

Hella stoked for you guys/gals. Sounds like an awesome trip.
Honestly don't know. They were bright orange and had a split tail at the back (like 2" deep v-cut in the back of the ski)

EDIT: It was these ones

https://www.black-crows.com/us/en/p/mirus-cor/101864-orange-vg.html

hondotex03
AG
What kind of bindings do you like for the Camox?
harge57
AG
Headed to Park City this weekend. Will only be skiing 2 days. Any tips?

How should I be reading the weather forecast for the mountain? Its been at least 5 years since I have been skiing.
SunrayAg
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

Big Sky in 10 days. Anyone else in that part of the world?

My daughter works there, and we just got back from visiting for the second time this winter.
JustPanda
AG
Hope you like skiing powder. 17 inches expected Saturday through Sunday!

Wider skis, low light lens, face cover for the snow, and read over the skiing powder tips posted previously on here.

Also ask if they have any poles w powder braskets!
JustPanda
AG
Pivots probs the 14s if you aren't a killer.
hondotex03
AG
Definitely not a killer. Primarily just cruising with the kids these days on blues.
JustPanda
AG
How big are you? Do you know your DIN? Should have plenty of space on the pivot 14
Jock 07
AG
https://www.corbetts.com/2024-look-pivot-14-gw-ski-bindings/
+ no tax + exchange rate + no shipping.
JustPanda
AG
I can be them for like $182 after tax and shipping

Just checked and Rossi is having a sale on Rallybird 102 Open and 104ti and Escaper 97. Priced w Pivot 12s since 14/15 are overkill for most ladies sets.

Rallybirds 102 + Pivot 12 = $349 usually $1079
Rallybird 104ti + Pivot 12 = $403 usually $1279
Escaper 97 + Pivot 12 = $349 usually $1079

That's a STEAL for some sick women's skis! Basically getting NEW skis and THE BEST bindings for the same price as used demos on used rental bindings. Literally cannot beat this price for women's gear.
Jock 07
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

It's $27 for the gondola lots and garage. I usually just pay for the garage, have never used the shuttle.

Is that the stables garage?
Jock 07
AG
Even better
hondotex03
AG
I believe I'm a 7 din
hondotex03
AG
Looks pretty good for women's stuff, any luck with the men's?
JustPanda
AG
I mean… what skis ya looking for? I can get 50-60% off most brands.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Is this an open invite? I want another pair of 2010 moment bibby pro 186. They were my perfect 1-ski quiver, i rode the snot out of them for a couple years then moved back to Houston and they became the loveland and then leadville bicycle for my buddy who i left them with and his friends. 145/120/136, 23m radius, tip rocker, hint of camber underfoot, enough meat to eat up chop. What can i get these days that's comparable?
JustPanda
AG
Just checking - looks like the 2010s were a 115 waist and 21.9 @ 186. Just wanting to make sure I'm comping the right set
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
That sounds more correct, i can't imagine i used to ski 120s all season. But yeah not much sidecut. I like what you've been saying about black crows but any of their offerings with tip rocker seem to be great big fatties. Does dps still do something like I'm looking for? I see rei carries them so are they still the same quality these days?
JustPanda
AG
Lib Tech UFO 115 but that's been discontinued.

Line Bacon 115

Probs the closest you'll find to that construction is the Black Crows Anima

It's a rocker camber rocker partial twin tip. It's got very progressive flex in the tips and tails, longer side cut under waist and shorter under tail and toes so still a 19 arc turn w poplar fiberglass core and carbon laminate. Full ABS sidewalls w semi cap construction.

It's a 145/115/135 & 2150g @ 182 & 147/115/136 & 2250g @ 189

Not a cheap ski - I think it's like $1100 factory. I probs can get it for like $550 and then the pivot 15s would be an extra $207 or 14s for $182. That'd be what I put them on.

You could also look at the Faction Mana 3 or the Prodigy 4s. I have both and love them.

Prodigy 4 is a directional partial twin tip and at 185 are 140/116/132 w 22 arc turn, 2.5 mm edges, microcap sidewalls, elliptical side cut and mustache flex (more flex and toes and tails, 25/55/20 rocker camber rocker.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ooh yeah i remember the SFBs being on my short list when i bought the bibbys.
The cris animas look sick, they are probably what i am looking for.
To change it up a little, what if i went a little skinnier? Like 100-110 underfoot? Since about 50% of my ski day is pizza with a kid between my legs. Would i be happy with bent chetler 100 or 110s?
Edit oh those mana 3s look sweet. The website doesn't show a side profile... is there a good tip rocker/early rise or is it just a twin tip?
hondotex03
AG
I was thinking black crows camox or similar with the pivot 14.
JustPanda
AG
Bent Chetlers are great in powder but not great in the rest. I have the BC Atris 105s and love them. The Faction Prodigy 3.0s are also fantastic.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ok i need a little beef because i like to lay train tracks through crud. I'll see if i can find a place that demos faction
JustPanda
AG
I have the Camox on Pivot 15s as my everyday all mountain ski, so hard to argue with that setup. Just know it's a full twin tip and will chatter on the toes if you REALLY RIP them. That's my only complaint but that's what you get when you ski a super lightweight set. Probs doesn't help that mine probs have 200-300 days on them so the core are probs toast. I'd imagine the flex on a new set would be much better.

They float well, cut well, turn well, and can really go, plus they wont crush your legs. Overall, I love them.
JustPanda
AG
Rossi Sender 104 Open or 106ti if you want more waist and weight are two others I'd suggest if you're looking at a little more all mountain waist.
hondotex03
AG
What are the noticeable changes between twin tip and standard? I'm skiing on old Volkls and havent used any recent gear. Chatter won't bother me.
JustPanda
AG
It's a full twin tip. 20/60/20. It's a SICK ski. These are on the silver Pivot 15s.

JustPanda
AG
Twin tip means the toes and tails are rockered. It shortens the effective edge which helps to decrease the arc turn radius. It also "shortens" a longer ski because it shortens the effective edge. The skis I just posted are twin tips. You'll see how the toes and tails are flared out and match (they kinda look like those Mexican cock roach boot tips IMO). Partial TT will have that rocker in the toes but a slightly less pronounced tail rocker. A flat tail will have no rocker. That's a downhill gs kinda style because you have a ton of contact w the snow but a super long arc turn.

These Black Crows are a partial TT. You can kinda see how the toes have WAY more rocker flair than the tail. Notice how much closer the tails are together vs the Mana 3.0s

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Those are the mana 3s? And they're not noodles? You sell those?
JustPanda
AG
Yup. Just pulled them out for that photo. They are the opposite of noodles. They float and carve but they need to be driven. Such a nice ride but not something to sit into and relax like the Bent Chetlers. They work and they like to be worked. They like to go and have the weight to really move. They do not chatter at all. They are brick **** house levels of built. They are SOLID.

On a 6+ inch powder day, you can point and shoot these bad boys and float and GO. Like all the way down Poppyfields or Silk Road or The Slot w almost no turns and total control. For a 112, they transition to groomers surprisingly well too.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ok that's my ski. I like a ski that forces me to stay in the driver's seat.
hondotex03
AG
Makes sense on the radius. My Volkls are flat tail so a partial or twin is going to really change the feel, but I'm looking for that.
JustPanda
AG
I don't think I own a set that isn't at least partial TT. I think you'll love the Camox. It's a really solid all mountain ski. I mean, I could ski ANYTHING as my all mountain everyday ski, and out of everything, that's the ski I picked. DOESNT mean it's the best, but it's hard to beat all around. Not sure that helps, but I think it kinda speaks volumes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.