Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,881 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sooo what we used to do when parking was a real AHole at Vail was the following:

Step 1: Buy orange construction cone(s)
Step 2: Find an open space that borders an elevator or stairs or that looks like it could be reserved for equipment, etc.
Step 3: Put cones in the space to block it off when leaving the lot
Step 4: Return the next day, and remove cones when you need to park
Step 5: Enjoy

Something about orange construction cones makes people think the spots officially taken or reserved and the hourly workers never cared. Worked almost every time.
JustPanda
AG
Other little known fact:

Once passes open for sale for next season (March), If you decide you want to come and ski a VR mountain, they will credit any lift ticket you purchase against your next years pass. So, if the full epic is $875 to buy and you go in an pay for a $279 day pass, they will reduce the $875 season pass by that $279 meaning you'll only pay $596 for the whole pass. So, if you ski 3/4 days, you've already paid for next years pass and this summer's access. Little known perk they offer but don't broadcast. For people that have friends or family that plan on buying passes but don't currently have them, it lets them ski a couple of days at the end of the season without the sunk cost while locking in and paying for the early season pass price.
Yesterday
AG
Panda coming with the knowledge!
JustPanda
AG
Todays ski repairs and waxing!
Doesn't look bad in picture #1, but checkout picture #2.
Finished repairs are picture #3
Homie waxing and edging my sticks picture #4.
Love my friends!

Tecolote
AG
JustPanda said:

Todays ski repairs and waxing!
Doesn't look bad in picture #1, but checkout picture #2.
Finished repairs are picture #3 - oof, that's the worst one, in a hurry? lol
Love my friends!

DBill
AG
JustPanda said:

Big snow coming to San Juan's and Sanger's this Wednesday / Thursday. If you're planning on driving anywhere in South/Central CO, please check CO Trip to check on lane closures and traction laws.

Panda, first time for us driving up to Durango. We will be coming up through Farmington NM on Friday morning. We are allowing ourselves ample time that morning as we have rental equipment to pickup from Ski Barn south location and then ski class at 1pm Friday.

Have a 4WD truck and looks like we will miss this worst of it, but having never driven in snow or after snowy conditions, should we be mostly clear for OK conditions on the roads Friday?

Purg is where we are headed.
clinte234
AG
They do a good job getting the highway cleared off quickly. Side streets and parking lots might be a little dicey. Just take your time!
JustPanda
AG
Haha - yeah. It looks better in person. I'll smooth it out later or once it pops out, but it'll hold for the rest of the day. Once I base grind it a little it'll all be flush. That edge was brutal so I needed a quick fix.
JustPanda
AG
Friday you should be good. Wednesday Thursday and Saturday look hairy.
LRHF
AG
DBill said:

JustPanda said:

Big snow coming to San Juan's and Sanger's this Wednesday / Thursday. If you're planning on driving anywhere in South/Central CO, please check CO Trip to check on lane closures and traction laws.

Panda, first time for us driving up to Durango. We will be coming up through Farmington NM on Friday morning. We are allowing ourselves ample time that morning as we have rental equipment to pickup from Ski Barn south location and then ski class at 1pm Friday.

Have a 4WD truck and looks like we will miss this worst of it, but having never driven in snow or after snowy conditions, should we be mostly clear for OK conditions on the roads Friday?

Purg is where we are headed.

Follow Durango Snow Lovers on FB for Durango and San Juan Forecasts. As of today, more snow expected on Friday but it can change quickly. As another posted noted, they do a pretty good job of clearing 550. It appears the 2nd storm is bringing colder weather and I would expect snow packed roads. Might be a good idea to put 200 lbs of sand or rock salt in the bed of the truck. There is one decent hill between Aztec and Durango but it should be clear for you guys. The 2nd storm is lighter snow vs heavy slushy snow and should make driving easier.

Since you are also headed to Purg, some extra weight in the back of the truck would be a good idea. 200 lbs of sand or rock salt wouldn't be a bad idea for this storm. The road from Durango to Purg will definitely be snow packed. Don't be in a rush up the mtn, tons of folks drive like morons, this is a big storm hitting us.

Good luck,

LRHF

DBill
AG
Thanks for the replies! We will have at least 200lbs of crap in the bed of the truck knowing my family, will have a cover over the bed to keep some elements off. Our kids have never seen snow like this, sure 3-5" worth on the ground but never feet of snow. They are pretty stoked.
Tecolote
AG
JustPand said:

Nice iron.

Mine is older than me and looks like this one

nkmustang
S
Just got this email, we really enjoyed our stay at the Cloudveil last year. Great rooftop deck and hot tub

Powder Alert
The Valley is cloaked in white! Snow has been falling since yesterday giving us 5" overnight and more on the way this week. It's the perfect time for a winter ski getaway.
The Cloudveil, Jackson Hole WY
ChipFTAC01
AG
Let's talk boot dryers. I've got something like this that I've had forever. As far as I can tell it accomplishes the task.

https://a.co/d/7td3SDM

A friend sent our skitrip group text this link which looks fancier and maybe has some new technology.

https://a.co/d/fxlF6Qg

Thoughts?
jpb1999
AG
First one looks way better. I don't like how the 2nd one uses fan blades going up/down... seems it wouldn't promote new air to come into the bottom of the boot.
JustPanda
AG
We have the DryGuy Force DX and love it. They have la smaller version.
maroon10
AG
Got back from Steamboat on Sunday, definitely missed the fresh snow on the mountain but they had enough to enjoy it for the bluebird days. Our 3-year-old hated wearing the ski boots and only got out on the carpet 1x...to be expected. Our 8-year-old snowboarding daughter was awesome, my first time to go out with her as Dad has always gotten that privilege while I've stayed behind with the younger two...Wow, kid has no fear and already is talking about next year's trip. I on the other hand can only tolerate 2 days...I was sore! Hope everyone that have trips coming up have a great time.
maroon10
AG
[url=https://postimg.cc/R6GNXnLy][/url]
JustPanda
AG
Picture after the ground it down. Looks GREAT!

bmac_aggie18
AG
Be in Copper Mountain tomorrow through Sunday! Cannot wait
JustPanda
AG
Headed there Friday. They got 12" yesterday and 10 expected over 5. Shaping up to be a solid ski week: Telly, BC, Vail and JH in 7 days
LRHF
AG
San Juan's Road closures:

*Hwy 550-Purgatory to Silverton will be closed this evening at 10 pm.

*Wolf Creek Pass- closed tomorrow at 5:30 am to clear snow and avalanches.

Appears to be a big storm about to hit the SJ's. Be safe and good luck if you are traveling between now and Monday.

Yesterday
AG
Last day on the mountain here in Park City. Snowed the last two days. Little tough to see the chop but not terrible. Kids are cruising blues all day which makes skiing that much more fun. Came a long way from two years ago wedging down an entire green.

Heading back to DFW but will be in BC for spring break with the rest of North Texas.
RangerRick9211
AG
Ptex is life giving.

Snow returns to the Cascades this week. We also just picked colors / flooring for our Sprinter build. So, game is nearly on to annoy the **** out of all you with our primo parking overnight.
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Shasta parking fills up super fast for some reason. They've gotten more crowded on the weekends this year it seems like. We're headed there for Presidents Day weekend and I'm already dreading how much my 5 year is going to hate the lines.

You have a season pass to Shasta? Where abouts do you live? We've got passes to Mt A so we get cheap day lifts at Shasta, but they bumped it up this year to $45 instead of $25/day.
I'll be avoiding a holiday weekend! I can usually go once or twice during the week. Even on Fridays, no wait so far.

I got a pass the end of last season since it included the last part of the season, so I break even with 6 days this year (normally the $50 veterans lift ticket). Was worried I wasn't gonna get my $ worth this year, until this last snow.

I'm a little over an hour away, in the opposite direction you're coming from. Cryptic on the internet, but I think you can figure that out.

I haven't been to the allied areas, too busy at work, but hopefully in the future. I would love to go to Mt A on a day I knew the Ariel lift was actually gonna be open.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Very cool. Not many Ags in the State of Jefferson it seems.

We're headed to Shasta tomorrow. Probably going to be crazy with them being closed the last couple of days and the amount of snow they got.

Mt A is a fun mountain. It's a challenge to teach my 5 year old to ski on because of how steep it is, but as the saying goes… "if you can ski here, you can ski anywhere." Definitely plan on a trip though, the bowl and backside of the mountain from Ariel are awesome when we get some good snow.
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Very cool. Not many Ags in the State of Jefferson it seems.

We're headed to Shasta tomorrow. Probably going to be crazy with them being closed the last couple of days and the amount of snow they got.

Mt A is a fun mountain. It's a challenge to teach my 5 year old to ski on because of how steep it is, but as the saying goes… "if you can ski here, you can ski anywhere." Definitely plan on a trip though, the bowl and backside of the mountain from Ariel are awesome when we get some good snow.
Check before you go; They were shutdown today because of a power outage.

If I weren't in class tomorrow, I would head that way.
jpb1999
AG
LRHF said:

Appears to be a big storm about to hit the SJ's. Be safe and good luck if you are traveling between now and Monday.

Any concerns coming from Texas on Sunday to Pagosa Springs? Should be there around 5 PM. Going from Lubbock to Santa Fe to Chama, etc.
MouthBQ98
AG
That's driving through the most total mountain terrain/high country but the lowest/flattest pass entrance to Pagosa Springs if memory serves.

Anyone ever ski with a small day pack, or just pocket everything?
Yesterday
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

That's driving through the most total mountain terrain/high country but the lowest/flattest pass entrance to Pagosa Springs if memory serves.

Anyone ever ski with a small day pack, or just pocket everything?

We always have a backpack but we ski with kids so it makes sense. We take it to a mid mountain lodge and leave it on a chair or something and ski until we need a break or snack.
LRHF
AG
jpb1999 said:

LRHF said:

Any concerns coming from Texas on Sunday to Pagosa Springs? Should be there around 5 PM. Going from Lubbock to Santa Fe to Chama, etc.

Based on what we know today, should be good. Definitely could hit snow packed roads. This was my morning commute !

JustPanda
AG
100% we do the same. Never had an issue. DO NOT ride w a backpack. SUPER dangerous.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Shasta is so good today. Lots of good powder all over the mountain and my 5 year old is having a blast going fast and falling in it.

LRHF
AG

Yesterday
AG
LRHF said:

That's a natural gator right there

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.