Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,869 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JustPanda said:

I'm dying.

Definitely not my proudest day.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Pahdz said:

our entire family has this bag in different colors. It's not a super known brand but they're awesome and have held up being checked on flights multiple times

Unigear Ski Boot Bag, 50L Ski Boot Travel Backpack for Ski Helmet, Goggles, Gloves, Skis, Snowboard & Accessories https://a.co/d/0bpqp7Z

Thanks. Looks about what I want. Think there's room to shove a laptop in there. Just don't went to check it.
JustPanda
AG
Let me see what I can get. First day back in the office and 3/4 of the day was spent ripping.
Pahdz
yeah you definitely could behind the boots I think
AgPrognosticator
AG
jrm90 said:

Guess the mountain

DV…didn't have to guess
dtkprowler
AG
Going to re-up my question on Wolf Creek. Their website says midway depth is 28" with a chance of snow on Friday this week. Also they are at 90% open.

However, they have some warm days coming up in the middle of the week. Would these warms days deter you from doing a short weekend trip this Saturday? We are very amateur skiers so not looking to shred it up or hit the harder lines. And we will be renting the equipment if that makes a difference.

I know we could wait until closer to Friday to see how the heat affects the snow, but we are trying to lock in some plans before then since we have to burn PTO, Fly in, etc. So, thank you for any insight you can provide!
JustPanda
AG
Oh man… they got 16" since Thursday. I can speak to Vail on this one: it was killer yesterday but they also had a little more snow (24"). The Friday system looks like it won't be huge for WC but we will know more in a couple of days. Not sure how well this last dump will hold over the week but it was a great ride yesterday. I'll be back out Wednesday and can tell you how things look at that point.

If they're 90% open, then they have snow wherever they've been making it - I don't think you'd really be able to tell much difference. Any day on the hill is better than a day not on the hill and it's supposed to be cold after Friday. Plus, you may get a nice 6-8 surprise Friday for an estoy morning pow float on Saturday. If you're looking to time it. That's not a bad way to do it. Let the base settle on the week and then catch it on the next refill.
dtkprowler
AG
Thank you for the help.
h1ag
AG
6" in NH overnight! New England powder day! Finally get to pull out the 88s!
Ft.Worth_Ag
AG
Flying out to Park City on Saturday, skiing starting Monday!
JustPanda
AG
Damn you guys weren't kidding on that crazy rain storm this week for the PNW. Sounds like enough rain to totally melt off what fell + any base that existed. That's brutal because it would be like 100-200+ inches of snow if it were colder. Ay ay ay

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/04/weather/atmospheric-river-northwest-weather-flooding-climate/index.html
RangerRick9211
AG
Here's the GOES this morning:

The tail of this fire hose starts at Hawaii. Bonkers. The mountain + valley set a record high yesterday for December - period.

Hot off the press 12z saying we'll got some of it back the next week. I think we'll see T-line, Crystal, Meadows, Hoodoo and Bach all spinning this weekend:

Errbody getting something this coming week:
docb
AG
https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/steamboat-resort-opens-more-terrain-after-getting-32-inches-of-new-snow-this-weekend/
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

Damn you guys weren't kidding on that crazy rain storm this week for the PNW. Sounds like enough rain to totally melt off what fell + any base that existed. That's brutal because it would be like 100-200+ inches of snow if it were colder. Ay ay ay

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/04/weather/atmospheric-river-northwest-weather-flooding-climate/index.html
Schweitzer announce yesterday they were closing down everything. We're staying at the resort this weekend and looks like we won't be doing any skiing. Pretty bummed about that.

There's a lot of snow forecast starting Friday/Saturday so hoping for a quick recovery.
dave99ag
AG
Not much open in PCMR but it's a beautiful day to be outside.
trip98
AG
wife did some closet cleaning this weekend and found these ...selling kids size 10 ski pants in great shape...cross post

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3429516
JustPanda
AG
If you made Charter Sports reservations please send me the reservations
JustPanda
AG
Sims - posted your discount on the reservation you sent me
Jock 07
AG
JP, any insights into reduced vail lift tickets? Wife's sister and her husband are thinking about joining us on our trip beginning of Feb. My pass only comes with SWAF and not buddy passes and the daily rates are pretty brutal looks like.

Also are there any better options for kids lessons other than with the epic discount through the website?
JustPanda
AG
They just missed the epic day passes. They were on sale through 12/3. The best bet at this point is the buddy passes and then SWAF. I have 10 buddy passes you can have if you're cool coming to Vail to buy your lift tickets.

The only other discounted passes are 50% passes given to employees. I can ask around and see if I can scoop any… Once day passes go off sale, it's a steep price for the rest of the season.

Vail has a monopoly on lessons. They are the only ones allowed to offer them on the hill. So unfortunately, the prices are the best you'll get unless you have a friend or family member that can teach them.
jpb1999
AG
Want to get family back to a ski mountain this spring break. Boys are 9 and 11 and have only been skiing 2 times (both at Angel Fire) so not serious skiers. Want to avoid lines as much as possible and Wanting to go to WC since it's the best my drivable location from Central Texas.

IF we were going to fly, where is the best place to go? Wanted to rent some thing close to mountain or even on the mountain if possible. Everything I have randomly looked at is either expensive or I can't find good options near the mountain. Looked up flying into SLC for instance but do not know enough about skiing near there to know where to look for a stay near a mountain...

On WC, how are the crowds during spring break? Hoping they aren't as bad there as other more popular mountains? Looking to stay all week near Pagosa Springs so does it get less crowded during the weekdays or since spring break it's crowded all week?
rather be fishing
AG
jpb1999 said:

Want to get family back to a ski mountain this spring break. Boys are 9 and 11 and have only been skiing 2 times (both at Angel Fire) so not serious skiers. Want to avoid lines as much as possible and Wanting to go to WC since it's the best my drivable location from Central Texas.

IF we were going to fly, where is the best place to go? Wanted to rent some thing close to mountain or even on the mountain if possible. Everything I have randomly looked at is either expensive or I can't find good options near the mountain. Looked up flying into SLC for instance but do not know enough about skiing near there to know where to look for a stay near a mountain...

On WC, how are the crowds during spring break? Hoping they aren't as bad there as other more popular mountains? Looking to stay all week near Pagosa Springs so does it get less crowded during the weekdays or since spring break it's crowded all week?
If you're ok with a 2 leg flight, you could fly into Spokane and have multiple options within a 2 hour drive.
jpb1999
AG
Probably. What 2 places?
JustPanda
AG
I may be the only one here with this opinion, but I wouldn't pick WC for one very odd reason: it gets the most snow in CO. That sounds great BUT if you're trying to learn to ski, if you've been 1-2 times and you're looking to engrain techniques, POW days are NOT the ones to do it on. It's a completely different ski set on POW and it really frustrates and exhausts most beginners quickly. IMO, you want blue bird days on cordy groomers. You get that at WC but you also get a lot more snow days than most hills in CO.

Most any hill w decent snow making operations will have some or most of beginner terrain almost always groomed or partially groomed.

Edit to add: Spring Break is the busiest time for most ski hills. Doesn't mean crazy long lines necessarily but it will be the most costly and business time of the season. Would Creek doesn't usually get bad lift lines but it will be crowded for TX , NM, & CO SB.
Drip99
AG
We did WC a few years ago for spring break. Its crowded for WC but not bad at all compared to other places. Weather was pretty good as well.
jpb1999
AG
So I just looked up Silver Mountain and it looks cool with the indoor water park to go with skiing. But when i look at flights, man it adds up. Cheapest flights has me at $2900 for the 4 of us from Austin to Spokane... Is that considered cheap or are there ways to find better flight deals?

Also, if you are staying at the resort, are you at the ski lifts, or do you have to drive or shuttle still?
JustPanda
AG
You'll want to lookup lift ticket prices too. Those can vary dramatically from $60/day to $279 so yeah I'd factor that in too.

ETA: and rental car and rental equipment prices
rather be fishing
AG
jpb1999 said:

So I just looked up Silver Mountain and it looks cool with the indoor water park to go with skiing. But when i look at flights, man it adds up. Cheapest flights has me at $2900 for the 4 of us from Austin to Spokane... Is that considered cheap or are there ways to find better flight deals?

Also, if you are staying at the resort, are you at the ski lifts, or do you have to drive or shuttle still?

I just did a quick check on Google flights for a random Wed/Sun round trip in mid-January from GEG to AUS to GEG and it was showing $260 for 1 person. I'm equidistant between Spokane/Missoula/Kalispell and Spokane is the cheapest option 99% of the time.

I have not ever skied at Silver but have been to Kellogg, so can't make too much comment on it. There's a guy I know through work that skis there a bunch and he said it's great for his family. They live close enough that it's typically just a day trip thing for them.

I am pretty sure the resort is in town and the slope is like a 30-45min drive.
rather be fishing
AG
jpb1999 said:

Probably. What 2 places?
Flight between Austin and Spokane are generally going to layover in either Denver or SLC. We had to route through Seattle once and Minneapolis another time.
Tecolote
AG
jpb1999 said:

Austria
RangerRick9211
AG
jpb1999 said:

I see a lot of Alaska Saver tickets from AUS to GEG. I priced out 3/9-14 to $984 for two adults. If you both pull Alaska BOA cards ( https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/alaska-airlines-credit-card/ ) it comes with an annual BOGO companion fare and 60k points. All in, ignoring points, that would add $200 in companion fare for all four of you - but you may be able to book all on points. Welcome to CC churning and check out FlyerTalk ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1869418-bank-america-visa-personal-business-2017-later-52.html )!

I've only skied Silver once, but it's awesome. You take a gondola from Kellogg to the hill.

If you're into places like Silver, Sunriver, OR (https://www.sunriverresort.com/hotel-and-vacation-rentals-overview/hotel-vacation-rentals-overview/river-lodge-guestrooms-suites) should also be on your list. You shuttle to Bachelor to ski, but has a lot on the resort ( https://www.sunriverresort.com/experiences#!/e/the-cove-aquatic-center-d17304d3/ ). You'd fly into Redmond and pass through Bend on your way. There's plenty of non-ski things in the area: Bend proper, Tumalo Falls, Newberry/Paulina volcano complex, fat bike tours, dog sled tours, and on-and-on. It's my favorite place on Earth in summer or winter.
RangerRick9211
AG
rather be fishing said:

jpb1999 said:

I am pretty sure the resort is in town and the slope is like a 30-45min drive.
Nah, US's longest gondola ride from town!
Fishervet12
AG
Panda, the wife is looking at getting a new ski jacket and I'm wondering if you have any leads on any ones you would recommend? Thanks
JustPanda
AG
Virtika, 686, Burton, Helly Hanson, Armada etc would be at the top.

I'm not a huge fan of Spyder. It's a great product but something about it… I wouldn't wear it lol. I know most of the locals here would probs second that motion.

If you have a specific brand you're wondering about please lmk

Edit to Add: Avoid Dope Snow or any other instagram companies. They're reselling you Chinese crap with a logo and low quality insulation and stitching.
Jock 07
AG
In addition to those I'm a huge fan of Obermeyer jackets. I'm 6'8" and have a hard time finding jackets long enough but their tall sizes are perfect. They're really breathable as well so I never find myself getting hot in them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.