Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,898 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As long as Park City is good by the end of January and BC is good before spring break I'll be happy!
JustPanda
AG
Season snowpack sucks everywhere.14th percentile… last season we were at 88-92%.

Wolf Creek expecting 16 over 10. Rest of Colorado is 6-8 inches. Mostly Saturday/Sunday. Not much and not enough to make a dent but better than 35 degrees and blue sky.

I'm at Breck right now for work and it's nasty. 21 inch base, 30% open, and 35 degrees out. Gravel in the groomers and super hard refreeze outside of what's groomed. Probs is what's groomed still has gravel. Really easy to gap a base and trash your skis.

JustPanda
AG
Here was last season:

bkag9824
AG
Spent last 3 days at WP. Conditions weren't great but could have been far worse. 41 today at the base. Glad we aren't skiing the ice tomorrow.
JustPanda
AG
49 degrees today in Steamboat. 42 in WP. Yikes.
docb
AG
JustPanda said:

49 degrees today in Steamboat. 42 in WP. Yikes.
I think those numbers are off a bit. I'm seeing the high as 40 today. Skiing has been ok up there so far. Definitely need more snow but new trails are continuing to open. A couple of the double black hike to trails are open now as well. It will be fine.
JustPanda
AG
I just left Trailhead/Wildhorse and that's what the temperature was at my car.
docb
AG
JustPanda said:

I just left Trailhead/Wildhorse and that's what the temperature was at my car.
That makes sense why it is higher. Those things always read higher than it actually is.
JustPanda
AG
Still super warm, but like you said they're something like 85% open. The coverage isn't great but at least terrain is open. 40 inch base is the best in the state at the moment.
rather be fishing
AG
I'm really hoping this crap turns around soon. I'm disappointed in the amount of time and money I have invested in this season to only be able to ski like 3 runs.
MAS444
AG
Telluride opened more terrain today. I know it's not great - but not all doom and gloom either. Especially for us flat landers who only go skiing once a year or so.
JustPanda
AG
I skied Telly and Purg this weekend and they were both not good. Not sure what Telly could've opened because there has been no snow, so whatever it was is all man made. Honestly probs the worst I've seen Telly this late in a season and it and Snowmass are my favorite hills.

This might be 2003/2004 repeat where we have nothing through Feb and then 10ft in March. Kinda has that feel.

Hit Telly/Purg this weekend: it was icy and becoming really icy. 9 inches expected through Monday

Hit WP Monday - it was holding on but not great. Icy in spots but I'd say better than Purg/Telly. They have a deeper base to work with and it shows. It was 42 at their base yesterday, so I bet the icy is now hella icy. 6 expected through Monday

Hit Breck/Vail yesterday - Breck is really icy, not much open, lots of people, and no snow outside of what's groomed. Trees, no way. Even what opened but not groomed is chatter refreeze. The groomers were also chalk full of gravel. 5 inches expected Breck 6

Vail - lots of people compared to Telly/PurgWP but fewer than Breck. More terrain open so not as icy, but a lot of refreeze. Deeper base so the groomers around as gravel best but there are spots where the traffic is heavy. Trees are a no way. Caught a couple rope drops and the snow was ok (you maybe made 6-9 in he's of depth before base) but the top was really cooked. 6 expected at Vail

Steamboat Today - decent coverage and most of the hill is open. By far the best of the conditions I've skied the last week. 9 inches expected through Sunday.

Snowmass - Skiing tomorrow along w Sunlight. Will update.

There's no real reason to go out in the mornings until there's more snow. You want this stuff to release some before you get on it. If not, it's gonna be an icy bia.

And don't go out without a helmet on. This craps harder than concrete.
JustPanda
AG
Mounting these bad boys tonight.
SunrayAg
AG
My son said they are getting quite a few visitors to Grand Targhee who are staying at Jackson, but said there wasn't enough snow at Jackson Hole. Targhee has a decent base, but it's getting a little icy on top. My daughter said Big Sky has some good runs open but is very limited for now.

LRHF
AG
Durango/ San Juan's winter storm. Unfortunately I'm in SLC and going to miss it

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1DdRfbvOpP/?igsh=MzRoY3dvdHR3N3R5
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Heading to Park City tomorrow. Hoping to not die on ice while snowboarding.
kyledr04
AG
Was at Big Sky all week. The snow was disappearing all week with Temps near 40 in the afternoon. At times I was a little warm. But they had some good runs open where they had made snow plus groomers. It wasn't too busy. We had a great week though. Everyone here talked about needing more. Supposed to get a few inches overnight.

A couple other notes, we stayed at the Wilson Hotel in town instead of at the resort. We really liked it and would definitely do it again. It's the nicest residence inn I've ever seen, more like at all suite boutique Marriott. Good restaurants and bar. They have a shuttle that makes laps up and down the mountain.

We also did the snow coach tour of Yellowstone. It enters the West entrance and goes to Old Faithful. We had a blast. Nice to ride around in the warm bus then hop out at all the stops. And nice to see Old Faithful with only about 150 people between the coach and snow mobile tours. If you're in this area it's well worth the day trip. We used Yellowstone Vacation Tours.
JustPanda
AG
Breck at a 19.7 inch base as of this morning. Snow and cooler temps starting this afternoon. Good news is the base will hold pretty well at these temps. The bad news is there's no real base and it's going to be **** show icy with the single to negative overnight lows and it probably won't loosen up much during the day since it's going to barely break 25 degrees for the week. Looks like Breck opened 2 more runs and Keystone finally has more than 20% open. Not ideal for heading into Xmas week. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
JustPanda
AG
Snowing in Glenwood. Almost forgot what it looked like.
maroonblood90
AG
Can anyone give a report on conditions at Purgatory. Headed up there on Tuesday.
LRHF
AG
maroonblood90 said:

Can anyone give a report on conditions at Purgatory. Headed up there on Tuesday.

Note- I'm currently in SLC but live in Durango

Base is small (+/- 21") but most of the resort is open. 5" in the last 24 hours and another snow event to the west. I think you will find decent conditions. Would be a great time to discuss with the family about staying on the slopes and avoiding the trees.

Have a great time!

LRHF
mrad85
AG
We're on our way to Angel Fire. 4 more grueling hrs.

Snow won't be great, but fun will be had by all I'm sure.

Will update conditions after we get there.
rather be fishing
AG
JP, I've decided my boots are not going to work in the long run and think I'm leaning towards making a boot purchase. The local shop on the mountain carries Rossi, Lange, K2, Nordica, and Salomon. I don't think they do custom liners but they custom fit boots.

Do you have any recs for me? I'm not sure if they'll be in the budget got this season or next.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Been snowing since we got here in Park City. I'm somewhat optimistic now!
docb
AG
Snowed all day in Steamboat. Not sure how much.
MAS444
AG
Telluride has had 3-4 inches and still snowing now. Lift 9 opened today.
dave99ag
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Been snowing since we got here in Park City. I'm somewhat optimistic now!

Curious to hear how it is for you. Where are you going to ski in PC?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
We're in Canyons right now and not overly familiar with the whole area. I'll report back tomorrow once we hit slopes.
HouAg12
AG
Wolf Creek has more than enough snow…out there today
RangerRick9211
AG
8" last night at T-Line. My mom is in town from CS and we took her to a schwank dinner at the lodge last night.

We're on Hood the entire week after Christmas when she leaves, so ski related, but the storm was fun for her. Christmas train out of Hood River. Then an hour drive in white out to the most dope ass Christmas setting on the west coast.
JustPanda
AG
Vail got 6 inches and Breck got 3. Somehow Vails base rose by 7 inches and Brecks by 4… Gotta love VR fudging numbers for the holidays. Ay ay ay….
JustPanda
AG
11% of SME yikes. It just keeps getting worse.

MAS444
AG
And yet, amazingly, lots of folks are out there skiing and having a blast!
aggiesed8r
AG
Any word on Tahoe? Heading out next weekend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.