Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,934 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info, y'all.
MAS444
AG
Heading to Telluride on Saturday...planning to ski Thanksgiving day (opening) and Friday after. Will be mostly man made - but the word on the street is that they're not pushing back the opening.
JustPanda
AG
We have very little snow here. Super early still but nothing in the forecast for the next 10 days. El Niño
MAS444
AG
I jinxed it. Telluride employee told me they officially announced delayed opening.
Tecolote
AG
MAS444 said:

I jinxed it. Telluride employee told me they officially announced delayed opening.
You really believed the "word on the street" - it was a bunch of bartenders hoping to get you up there with no skiing so you'd drink your sorrows away.
MAS444
AG
No - "the word on the street" was from the resort itself and people scheduled to work opening day. And we'll be happy to be there - ski or no ski. It's not like we were expecting the skiing to be great, even if they opened.
LRHF
AG
Tecolote said:

MAS444 said:

You really believed the "word on the street" - it was a bunch of bartenders hoping to get you up there with no skiing so you'd drink your sorrows away.

We don't have any snow in SW Colorado beyond what is man made.
Tecolote
AG
LRHF said:

Tecolote said:

MAS444 said:

I know because we don't have any snow in northern New Mexico either.
JustPanda
AG
We pushed our ski shop opening back to the 22nd and that may even get pushed back again. Nothing in the forecast through next Friday. Hopefully some of the cloudy days will turn into storms…
LRHF
AG
Tecolote said:

LRHF said:

Tecolote said:

MAS444 said:

Where are you at in N. NM?
Tecolote
AG
LRHF said:

Tecolote said:

LRHF said:

Tecolote said:

MAS444 said:

Where are you at in N. NM?
Vegas (the original!)
JustPanda
AG
Snowing here today.
Jock 07
AG
You know if summit is getting anything?
dave99ag
AG
Headed to Park City in early December. It was decent last year. Not sure how much will be open this season.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Steamboat got some today, maybe a little more tonight.
Jock 07
AG
Wild to hear about snow up in the high country when it's in the 70s down here in the springs.
JustPanda
AG
Se got maybe 2 inches. Super wet and heavy. Probably mostly melting off except what's on the fake base. Better than nothing but far from where we should be at this point. Hopefully more this week.
LRHF
AG
It snowed at Purgatory last night into this morning!

Greeze06
AG
We'll be in Breck for Spring break
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone have any opinions on the Marker Duke PT bindings? Looking at a touring set up, but I'd be mostly touring at my resort on days they aren't open...so not like I'm going doing anything crazy.

Looking at getting a Blaze 94 paired with it.
rather be fishing
AG
Sent you an email to check on some bibs.
JustPanda
AG
Sims - got your reservation info and put a note into the system. Remind me closer to the day of pickup and I'll make sure I'm there to make things easier when you pickup.
JustPanda
AG
Marker Dukes are great.

I can get the Look Darklite 12 for $200 before tax
I can get the HM Rotation 12 for $275.00 bt
I can get the HT Radical 10 for $200.00 bt

Edit to add: if you're only going touring a couple times a year but hit resorts the other 95% of the time I'd go with either the Salomon Shift or the Duke PTs. Shifts will be a little lighter but the Duke PTs have more functionality for more advanced skiers. They will carry heavier but feel more stable and functional under foot on the downhill and have a couple extra gizmos for the uphill portion. If you aren't worried about the weight, I'd do Marker PTs.

I have a Marker pro code, I just need to find it. I'll lyk what I can snag those PTs for shortly.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Awesome! Thanks so much for looking into it.

Yeah, I'll be touring probably a max of 5 times a year since I'm pretty lazy, but my resort is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and there are the occasional pow days that would awesome to hit then.

That was definitely the reason why I was leaning towards them. Will they be annoying to use while in resort the rest of the time?
Pahdz
JP got any demo sticks left over from last year? Looking to replace my wife's Blizzard Alright 7.2's that are 5 years old. Mind you majority of our skiing is on Midwestern hard pack
JustPanda
AG
We have a couple sets on some Dynastsr M-Free's. I've never had a complaint and I'd say 1/20 that rent them actually go into the touring setting.
JustPanda
AG
I think the narrowest we have are the Black Pearl 82s or the Santa Ana 82s
Pahdz
perfect width for Minnesota hills and conditions
JustPanda
AG
16 inches forecast for the next 10 days for Snowmass. Vail/BC 11, Breck 9, Telly 10, Steamboat 10.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

16 inches forecast for the next 10 days for Snowmass. Vail/BC 11, Breck 9, Telly 10, Steamboat 10.

That escalated
SockDePot
You guys have custom boots?

I've finally gotten proficient enough to consider buying.

One of the guys I ski with swears by them.

My problem isn't necessarily foot or ankle, but my calves are too big to fit into boots even on the loosest click. I usually end up pinching / bruising because my skin ends up between the tongue and boot.

Any recommendations for brands and/or places to purchase? Or am I forever hosed with Neanderthal legs?
Pahdz
do not settle for anything less than something specifically made for YOU.

Custom boot fitting changed my life in regards to skiing experience.
Jock 07
AG
Pahdz said:

do not settle for anything less than something specifically made for YOU.

Custom boot fitting changed my life in regards to skiing experience.

So much this. Just got fitted at boot mechanics this past summer and took them out last Friday at keystone. I feel like I've lost a decade of skiing now, the difference is that drastic.
JustPanda
AG
If you have question about custom fitted boots and the best way to go about doing them, I had a LONG thread on the travel board last year that went through the differences.

I personally wouldn't put my foot into a non custom insole without an orthodontic.

You can buy the hard shell and then have the liner customized after purchase
JustPanda
AG
If you have Neanderthal legs, there are some tricks to not cut off the blood circulation to the foot foot (that what makes the foot cold and numb and throb).

The biggest is to expand the ratchets on the top. Once they're as wide as the go, buckle that ratchet down but only so that it comfortably fits the calf DONT tighten it down. The important buckles are the second and third. They are the that holds you foot bed down and your ankle back. You want those 2 so tight that you have to unbuckle them on the lift up.

The next trick to to ski down Mondos. We all ski -2 but just moving to a -1 Mondo will move the hot spot. You ALWAYS want to ride a smaller mondo than you size. For instance I'm a 26.5 measured and ski a 24.5.

Edited to add:

Just started rain/snowing again in Glenwood. Not sure how scattered the moisture is but it'd def be snowing pretty good if it's like this at higher elevation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.