Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,859 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We go to Bachelor a lot, but I really love my local mountain where the most I've ever waited for a lift was maybe 2 minutes. It's also pretty sweet where I can go into the bar to order a beer and they're already starting to make my daughter a hot cocoa before I can ask for it.

It obviously doesn't have the variety and terrain that a larger resort does, but it's cool that everyone knows everybody up there.
rao11010
AG
Just got home from Angel Fire. Arrived on Wednesday and skied Thursday and Friday. It snowed pretty consistently all day Friday and had some nice powder on the trails. It was my first time there and I was surprised with how little the crowds were. At 9am when the lifts opened, there were maybe 10 people lined up.

Legal Custodian
AG
Awesome! Headed there on Wednesday so I love to hear that
JustPanda
AG
Outer Mongolia poma opened at Vail. Now Vail is 100% open.

Anyone getting out today? I'll be in Vail today, BC tomorrow, Vail Tuesday, and then BC through Saturday.
Greeze06
AG
L-I-V-I-N
LRHF
AG

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Hit Breckenridge today, they could definitely use more snow. Warm temps aren't gonna help, a ton of rough refreeze out there. Great day still.
JustPanda
AG
Anyone want to hit Vail or BC today? If so, lmk and I can get ya parking! I'll be up in BC all week so just lmk. You guys and gals are welcome to park at the house or park in my lot in Vail. Enjoy these warmer days!
JustPanda
AG
Looks pretty quiet in Northern / I 70 corridor. The storm that was supposed to push in this weekend hasn't really materialized well. Looks like 8-12 inches.

Southern CO looks to still be in the flow. They have this storm and then another system pushing in early next week. Should see some good numbers in the San Juan's and Sangres. Probs 1-2 ft through next Wednesday.

Red River getting hit on that track too.

Edit to add: the snow guns at Bachelors Gulch above chair 16 were running last night. Confirmed that on our drive up from Agave last night after the death punk rock show.

Heading up into the Primrose/Strawberry park trees to put up a cross for my dad and say some prayers for him in the family today. Maybe grab some drinks after at the BG Ritz. I'd love company if anyone would like to join. Drinks on me.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

Looks pretty quiet in Northern / I 70 corridor. The storm that was supposed to push in this weekend hasn't really materialized well. Looks like 8-12 inches.

Southern CO looks to still be in the flow. They have this storm and then another system pushing in early next week. Should see some good numbers in the San Juan's and Sangres. Probs 1-2 ft through next Wednesday.

Red River getting hit on that track too.

Edit to add: the snow guns at Bachelors Gulch above chair 16 were running last night. Confirmed that on our drive up from Agave last night after the death punk rock show.

Heading up into the Primrose/Strawberry park trees to put up a cross for my dad and say some prayers for him in the family today. Maybe grab some drinks after at the BG Ritz. I'd love company if anyone would like to join. Drinks on me.

I'm there in spirit Panda! Sending prayers for you and your family buddy.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I just realized my liners have lace holes in them. Does anyone actually lace up their liners?

ETA: anyone that isn't racing, I guess.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Apparently I qualify for Outdoor Prolink through my job (Civil engineer but we have a contract with Oregon Parks and Rec and I've designed a few parks projects for them).

I was just about to sign up, but does anyone have a referral code they want me to use? I think JP and Ratherbefishing are on it?
tamc93
AG
Decided to do a last minute trip to Heavenly next week...

Any pro-tips?
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
JustPanda
AG
Don't get stuck in the gondola!

Edit to add: they have a super low base right now but 5 expected over 5 and 26 over 10. Monday - Wednesday should be pretty hard snow (Monday/Tuesday into Wed morning. So probs setting up for a nice ride Tuesday+
Jock 07
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Apparently I qualify for Outdoor Prolink through my job (Civil engineer but we have a contract with Oregon Parks and Rec and I've designed a few parks projects for them).

I was just about to sign up, but does anyone have a referral code they want me to use? I think JP and Ratherbefishing are on it?

Is that what promotive is called now?
JustPanda
AG
Free Women's Gloves!
Size Small

Steezy little back hand zipper for hand warmers or your ski pass! Enough room for a glove liner too!

https://swanyamerica.com/collections/womens-us/products/ts-2l?variant=41386050617530

Who wants them?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I don't think so. I think that is "expertvoice" or at least that is the top result when you search for "prolink" on google.
JustPanda
AG
Give me a buzz. I have to have the gear shipped to me in CO. I checked w the rep. Still not the worst thing in the world.
Greeze06
AG
I'll scoop them if no one else really needs them. The wife could use them.
JustPanda
AG
PM me your address.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I don't have your number so send me a text or email with your number and I'll call tonight if you're available.
tamc93
AG
Skiing next Thursday - Saturday. Hopefully the snow sticks around for a few days.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Greeze06
AG
I'm picking up my skis from you for Spring Break, so just add to my pile
JustPanda
AG
Heavy melt today but still nice conditions. Felt like March/April today.

Good news, roof got cleared.

SockDePot
Post trip #1 update.

Whistler was awesome. Skiing was minimal due to some extenuating circumstances, but snow was pretty good.

The village was awesome, tons of bars and restaurants in walking distance from the VRBO we stayed at.

I would definitely say worth a trip without kids, or with older kids.

Headed to white fish in a couple of weeks.

I went and got fitted for and purchased boots before the trip, the minimal skiing I did, it was a huge difference. If you're thinking about it, do it.
Pahdz
When are you gonna be at Whitefish? We'll be there February 29-March 4
JustPanda
AG
Great news - what boots did ya pickup? Makes such a difference.
InfantryAg
AG
I've noticed I can find stuff on expert voice and outdoor prolink that if I google search, I can often find cheaper.

40%(etc) off of Retail is often like 10% of MAP (example numbers). And then when things are on sale or clearance they may be cheaper.

Seems smart to search around before making a pro price purchase.
SockDePot
Will be in white fish 2/14-2/20

Boots are nordicas, can't remember what model #, but as you had mentioned somewhere before I actually went down a size or two from all the rentals before, where I was compensating for comfort and getting the wrong size. Guy explained boot volume and all that, I have comically wide feet and calves.

They have adjustable shin/calf clamps which are a game changer. The guy also put in some shims (not official term) in my right boot under the insoles to lift my foot some to change some of the pressure in the boot. Told me to ski in them for a few days and mark them and bring them back and they will punch the shell if needed.

I wish I had done it sooner. Really looking forward to extended skiing in whitefish.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Tahoe anyone?
jpb1999
AG
Any updates on the expected snow falls in the next 5 to 10?

I saw in an earlier post about a knee brace. One of my wife's biggest concerns are her knees and the ski position puts lots of pressure on them and they hurt. Would that knee brace work for that? Her issue is not really trying to reduce the risk of injury, it is to help relieve the pressure/pain.

Side question, see lots of info on ski boots, would better/personal ski boots help her any? Are any shaped where you are not angled forward so much?
watty
AG
opensnow.com
JustPanda
AG
Actually yeah you can adjust the forward lean of a boot.

Most commercial boots are going to be a 13-15 degree tilt. The more freestyle the skier the more straight the angel. Free skiers are often at 10-13 degrees. On the other hand most downhillers are at around 17. Mike are currently a 11.

Your forward Leah is really what you're trying to balance when you mount bindings. Where the bindings are attached plays into the correct ski posture.
JustPanda
AG
Which hill are you looking for data?

It's MF HOT outside today. Thinking about running some shorts laps.
jpb1999
AG
WC.

Sorry to bother.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.