Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,886 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damnit. I really hate when you start posting about deals on skis because I get so tempted to spend more money. Can't do it. Have to pay my golf course dues next month.

Before next season though, I'm probably going to be looking for something with more waist.
JustPanda
AG
The after season sales are about to hit hard. Out with the 2023s and in with the 2024s Good time to get early season orders on 2024 gear too.

I ordered these Core Head 117s because I like the all white look. Can't wait to put them on some Pivot Forzas.

1980g each, 145/117/129, partial twin tip, rocker camber rocker, 25 arc turn

Jock 07
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Ok that's my ski. I like a ski that forces me to stay in the driver's seat.

I'd put a plug in for the katanas then, have been super happy with mine this year. The regular titanal ones, not the carbon fiber ones though.
Jock 07
AG
Damn those things are beasts.
JustPanda
AG
They only thing I have wider and more boutique are the old Faction Candides that are now the Mana 4.0 but back when they were Rocker Flat Rocker w a 121 waist. Probs the best pure powder ski I've ever owned because you can turn directly under the waist since it's rocker flat rocker.

Edit to add: Yes I bought new skis even though were likely moving. I couldn't help it because what if we don't? I'll need some new steez. Just imagine someone pulling up on those Core Head 117s in a 194. Either they're steezy as **** or one run away from their death. Either way, I'd follow to see which one it was…
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Anyone done a Japow trip? Got some buddies here that are getting pretty serious about it. Looks like a blast and the currency exchange makes the price not awful. Flights aren't terrible, especially for those of us already on the west coast.
JustPanda
AG
Yup. Japow is a rip. We've been several times. We would've gone in Feb had it not been for everything going on w my dad. One VERY underrated place with some fun hills and great ski culture and amazing scenery and atmosphere is New Zealand. Think skiing the Lord of the Ring mountains w those landscapes.

Edit to add: please keep NZ a secret. It's our summer ski honey hole along w Bariloche in Argentina.

We always stopped in Hawaii on the way back from Japow and NZ. Went from Snow to Sunshine and cut the length of the travel back. Would highly recommend both.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Where did y'all go in Japan? Any tips?
JustPanda
AG
In Hokkaido Niseko is our fav but also super expensive. In Nagano Nozawa Onsen is hella cool w the hot springs also Shiga Kogen or Hakuba Happo-1 if you want to checkout some of the 98 Olympic spots.

For steep and TONS of snow and some awesome connected back country but some potentially really ****ty weather, Tenjindaira (Tenjin). It crushes if the weathers nice.

Hokkaido and Honshu are the two main ski hot spots.

Overall, Japanese ski resorts are way smaller than what you think of when you picture American ski hills (20-25 runs is considered a large hill). Sometimes you legit take 3-4 runs and you're good on that hill and ready to go elsewhere.

The difference between Hokkaido and Honshu is mainly terrain. A lot of people say, "Japan isn't that steep…"and Hokkaido isn't. There, you get lower angle trees and magical forests for tree skiing that make for fantastic storm skiing. On Honshu, a lot of the good terrain is steeper, high alpine, so if it's stormy, you don't have the trees for visibility. While the mountains in Honshu tend to be steeper, Hokkaido's slopes tend to get more powder.

If you're looking for the snow monkey hot springs, that's gonna be the Hakuba Valley in Honshu.

In Hokkaido, Niseko is on the Ikon and Mountain Collective. Rusutsu is on the Epic. In Honshu, Hakuba Valley is on the Epic.

You have to fly from Tokyo to Hokkaido. From Tokyo to Nagano to Hakuba you can take the bullet train and then either get a bus or private transport.

If you fly into Tokyo you'd take the Shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo or Ueno to Nagano Station (You can reserve tickets using the Japan Rail online reservation system)

When you get to Nagano Station, you go to the east exit and find bus stop #26. The bus bound for Hakuba destinations leaves roughly every hour from 8:20 to 20:00. It's like 2800 yen per adult and 1400 yen per child IIRC.

It takes about 3 hours from the time the train leaves Tokyo/Ueno until you arrive at Hakuba.
JustPanda
AG
Vail forecast and extended forecast:

Friday, and Saturday

Friday, and Saturday will be sunny and warm with a high temperature in the low 30s each day. Due to the calm and clear weather, morning temperatures may be colder at the base with warmer temperatures up on the hill (this is called an "Inversion").

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday

A slow-moving storm will bring snow starting on Saturday night or Sunday morning and maybe continuing through Tuesday morning. The most likely scenario is that we will see moderate snow totals with a decent chance for some powder during this time. If the cold front and/or jet stream happen to stall over Vail, then snow totals could be significant and measured in feet. Let's pencil in the chance for powder on Sunday, Monday, and/or Tuesday, and we'll fill in the details during the coming days.

Longer Range

Tuesday, March 5 to Thursday, March 7 could be on the drier side, and then our next storm should arrive around Friday, March 8. And after that, we could see another storm around Thursday, March 14, plus or minus a day or so.

If this forecast holds true, it should be a nice spring break for you guys and gals coming up from TX. No idea on driving conditions that far out (this Sunday will be trash) but overall way better than warm and dry!
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Jock 07 said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

It's $27 for the gondola lots and garage. I usually just pay for the garage, have never used the shuttle.

Is that the stables garage?

No it's the South Gondola garage. I've never tried parking that high up at the stables one.
Tecolote
AG
JustPanda said:

Yup. Japow is a rip. We've been several times. We would've gone in Feb had it not been for everything going on w my dad. One VERY underrated place with some fun hills and great ski culture and amazing scenery and atmosphere is New Zealand. Think skiing the Lord of the Ring mountains w those landscapes.

Edit to add: please keep NZ a secret. It's our summer ski honey hole along w Bariloche in Argentina.

We always stopped in Hawaii on the way back from Japow and NZ. Went from Snow to Sunshine and cut the length of the travel back. Would highly recommend both.
No way now man - after giving all the info away on Hokkaido. I'm going to make sure everyone knows about NZ and Bariloche now.

Sapporo was one of three cities that I've lived in that hosted the Winter Olympics (ironically, none in North America).
ChipFTAC01
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Anyone done a Japow trip? Got some buddies here that are getting pretty serious about it. Looks like a blast and the currency exchange makes the price not awful. Flights aren't terrible, especially for those of us already on the west coast.

My old roommate from college (and skiing buddy) spent a few years in Tokyo and they hit up the north island while they were there several times. Said it was just a magical experience. We would have gone over and done a combined Japan/ski trip with them but our kids were just too little at the time.

And to follow onto JP, I had a buddy who worked ski school at BC for years and then switched to NZ in the summers. He loved it.
JustPanda
AG
My mom was born in Japow.
ChipFTAC01
AG
JustPanda said:

The after season sales are about to hit hard. Out with the 2023s and in with the 2024s Good time to get early season orders on 2024 gear too.

I ordered these Core Head 117s because I like the all white look. Can't wait to put them on some Pivot Forzas.

1980g each, 145/117/129, partial twin tip, rocker camber rocker, 25 arc turn

Any idea what you can get on Nordia enforcer 94s?
JustPanda
AG
Totally just guessing but probs like $325-375. Maybe a little less. Probs like all in after tax for like $450-500 w Pivot 14s and add an extra $30 for 15s. They are our biggest supplier.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah. I think he'd love almost the entire Volkl line from the sounds of it.

Volkl Revolt 114s are the closest to what he posted.

Over all great ski, but like any Volkl, they are HEAVY and have a boat turn radius. I'm happy to spec those out if you guys would like. Off the top of my head, I think the 114s are something like 2350g at a 184. That's HEAVY.

For comparison, the 184 117 Kore Heads I posted are 1980g each and that's at a 117. So the Revolts are almost 20% heavier and a smaller overall ski.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

Vail forecast and extended forecast:

Friday, and Saturday

Friday, and Saturday will be sunny and warm with a high temperature in the low 30s each day. Due to the calm and clear weather, morning temperatures may be colder at the base with warmer temperatures up on the hill (this is called an "Inversion").

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday

A slow-moving storm will bring snow starting on Saturday night or Sunday morning and maybe continuing through Tuesday morning. The most likely scenario is that we will see moderate snow totals with a decent chance for some powder during this time. If the cold front and/or jet stream happen to stall over Vail, then snow totals could be significant and measured in feet. Let's pencil in the chance for powder on Sunday, Monday, and/or Tuesday, and we'll fill in the details during the coming days.

Longer Range

Tuesday, March 5 to Thursday, March 7 could be on the drier side, and then our next storm should arrive around Friday, March 8. And after that, we could see another storm around Thursday, March 14, plus or minus a day or so.

If this forecast holds true, it should be a nice spring break for you guys and gals coming up from TX. No idea on driving conditions that far out (this Sunday will be trash) but overall way better than warm and dry!

Appreciate the updates as always. We'll be at Beaver Creek 10-15. Last year was sweet. Got a little powered almost every day but blue bird skiing and beers at the base is always fun too.
JustPanda
AG
Catching some free refills this upcoming week.

Jock 07
AG
How's summit looking? Looks like I'll be in Breck next week with all my fellow Texans.
JustPanda
AG
Lighter but still snow.

hondotex03
AG
Headed up to Purg next Friday for the week. Will mountain shops be running sales by then? Might just demo some stuff and see what I can score.
HouAg12
AG
JP - Greatly appreciate all your advice on this thread. I've been skiing 2021 Atomic Vantage 97c's (180 length) for a few seasons now. Looking for something a bit more stable at high speeds/charging, but I do like an underfoot width in this ballpark.

Thoughts on either the Nordica Enforcer 94, Black Crows Camox, Black Crowns Justis, or Black Crown Serpo?

Thinking about upgrading before Telly in 1.5-2 weeks
TshirtVulture
JP…how hard is doing a trip to Bariloche and did you go out to hotel Llao Llao by chance? A bucket list destination for me as my grandparents took a trip there in 50's or 60's and my grandpa painted a beautiful picture of the hotel. Grew up wanting to visit.
Psa: on this thread a lot cause I like to ski but lucky if I get one visit a year. Last couple days I'd do better deciphering cave drawings as y'all have reminded me just how little I truly understand about skiing lol
ChipFTAC01
AG
HouAg12 said:

JP - Greatly appreciate all your advice on this thread. I've been skiing 2021 Atomic Vantage 97c's (180 length) for a few seasons now. Looking for something a bit more stable at high speeds/charging, but I do like an underfoot width in this ballpark.

Thoughts on either the Nordica Enforcer 94, Black Crows Camox, Black Crowns Justis, or Black Crown Serpo?

Thinking about upgrading before Telly in 1.5-2 weeks

Adding the blizzard Rustler 9 to this question.

I skiied the enforcer 94 all week a few weeks back and was really happy with them. They ripped on groomers and did well in crud. I intended to swap them out and try at least another pair but I was so happy with them that I kept them all week.

Headed to Santa Fe for spring break and would like to try something different before pulling the trigger.
JustPanda
AG
I personally think 93 - 98 is just about the perfect waist for MY tastes in an all mountain ski. They give you ALOT of versatility if you Try or partial TT, you have a great effective edge, you have the ability to float but still carve. It's wide enough for moderate POW days and hold up well in the trees. That's all you can really ask right?

There are SO many awesome skis in that range. Line DPS Armada, Black Crows, Etc etc etc
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Well darn now y'all have me thinking i should get those manas for touring and/or when there's some stashes to be found, put dynas on them then putvny dukes on something 95ish underfoot for inbounds/sidecountry. Katana, enforcer, rustler, camox?
JustPanda
AG
What kind of reenforcement do you prefer? Titanal that's heavy and drives or a carbon that gives you a little less weight? Do you want something that drives or floats or a an in between? Atomic Vantage 97 ti are Titanal the 97 C is a carbon. Overall, it's a pretty light ski w a HEAVY underfoot camber and a flat tail. If I was me, I'd look for something w a little less camber and more rocker. Maybe look at a partial TT before a full TT just to get the feel. If you can demo a partial and full if you lmk what they have I can give you my recommendations.

Overall, if you like the 97 waist, I have can give some recs in that range. If you're looking to move into something a little wider (102-107) there are some solid sets in that range as well. Just depends on what you want and what you like…
JustPanda
AG
They might be kinda heavy for a touring ski honestly. I love the Camox for touring because they are SUPER light. When I want something wider, I go w the BC Atris or even wider the Bent Chetlers.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Camox looks like it would dive in breakable crust, does it not?
JustPanda
AG
The Revolt and Mantra line for Volkl are pretty ill.
JustPanda
AG
The Atris or Prodigy 3 are a little better but the Camox slay. It's my everyday ski.
JustPanda
AG
First killer sale of the season

www.SocksAddict.com 50% off site wide including Daen Tough and SmartWool!
Pahdz
Greetings fellow TexAgs ski officianados from Whitefish! Been super jealous all season of you guys especially with the severe lack of snow we've had in MN. Great first day here with family and friends!

bmac_aggie18
AG
JP,

My last day at A-Basin is tomorrow (Saturday) and we're staying in Dillon. Fly out of Denver Sunday at 6:10pm so we were going to drive back that morning. Should I be worried about getting there with the storm?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.