Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,880 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Epic passes are now on sale for next season. If you need day passes for this season, you can buy them and have that cost taken off next years pass…
hurricanejake02
AG
Getting ready to head to Granby for Spring Break - this is our 6th year in a row there, but it very well may be our last with the way prices have gone.

It's not the super-saver small mountain resort it was just a few years ago.
StockHorseAg
AG
You could try to fix that with a Komatsu D355A...
chickencoupe16
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

Getting ready to head to Granby for Spring Break - this is our 6th year in a row there, but it very well may be our last with the way prices have gone.

It's not the super-saver small mountain resort it was just a few years ago.

I've not got a lot of experience with various locations but our group enjoys Loveland for the price and crowds. Might be worth a look if you're looking.
JustPanda
AG
The full epic is $982
Epic local is $731
Epic Day passes are $110 - $100 a day depending on how many days your ski.

If you ARENT skiing restricted days, the local pass pays for itself after 7 days. If you're skiing restricted days then the full epic is covered after 8 days.
JustPanda
AG
Granby and Loveland are about the same price $119-166 depending on the day. Personally, I wouldn't pay that for either of those hills. I'd rather buy early season day passes at vail or BC. Quality and overall terrain is much better.

Ski Cooper is slot like GR but about 1/2 the price
rather be fishing
AG
I think Schweitzer runs about $110/day and Sundays are half price after lunch.
SonOf_an_Ag
AG
If you are around Beaver sunday morning, a little bit of over-site from a professional gear expert would be greatly appreciated. On your advice I set pickup for Saturday afternoon but will not be in until 10 pm, so first thing 8 am is when we will be picking up.

All the talk about sure foot and buying boots has me in the mood to finally make the comfort leap and buy a pair. I want to demo a good boot that has a roomier fit profile but I don't know how stiff. I am not a pro ski racer, rarely hit the bumps or double blacks.
Jock 07
AG
I'll defer to the experts but your size is also a factor on boots as well. Being a bigger guy I got 130s which otherwise would be considered racing stiffnesses from my understanding.
HUEY04
AG
Agree with this, I always got soft rentals in the past but went with 130's when I bought my own this season. I'm a big guy and honestly feel like I could go significantly stiffer if available and I definitely wouldn't go any softer. Also was really happy with the 192cm ski's, finally felt like I could push them without a ton of flex and chatter and actually feel some energy return. All of the skiing size charts top out at like 205lbs and 6'2" men and are one size fits all above that but I was much happier with stiffer boots, skis, and higher din settings that don't randomly eject me for no reason.
JustPanda
AG
Another vote for 130s here. I like a stiff boot that eats anything coming up under my waist. I do too much in the air and in the trees and when I push into my boot I want it to be tight and stiff.

Depending on how often you ski and your size and your style, anything 110-130 is going to feels light years better than the 65/90/95 you find in most rentals.

Boots are a science and an art. When you find the fit, it'll change your life.

One thing that concerns me - you do NOT want a roomier liner. You want a SNUG liner. You want that thing to feel like a cast on your foot than doesn't move.
JustPanda
AG
You want to a boot fit and then run some laps? If you do decide on boots, I'm happy to go w you to SF, too. It's right in the hill and next to a place q decent margs that I got hella friends that bartend. Usually they give us a decent discount for being poor industry hourly workers living paycheck to paycheck.
Jock 07
AG
Also I'll put a plug in for boot mechanics as well. That's where I got mine last summer and it's been a life changing success. A bit cheaper than surefoot as well from my understanding. I got fitted in golden but there's one there in Avon as well. Hard to beat the convenience of all the surefoot locations at the base of all the mountains though.
JustPanda
AG
5 more overnight at both Vail and BC. 8 inches expected through Saturday morning and then sunny Saturday/Sunday, clouds return Monday, and then another 10 Tuesday - Thursday. Should be really stellar the next 10 days.

PSA: If you lose a rental ski while on the hill, look for it until you find it. Skis in powder can do funny twists and turns under the snow. Instead of digging down, you want to scrap the snow like an archaeological dig site not dig down into the snow. When you slowly peel back the powder, you'll eventually find what looks like a snake hole. Follow that and you'll find your ski. If you just start digging and throwing snow etc you're never going to find it.

We had 2 people lose skis yesterday. When they found out they're $600-800 on top of the rental price even with the insurance, they were shocked. That's not even full price for the skis and bindings, that what we pay - our depreciation. They didn't understand that if we were charging them full retail it'd have been over $1,000. Please don't make this mistake. Little nugget: call ski patrol and they will help you find it.

Edit to add: Vail currently 113% of average snowpack. BC @ 119%. Key @ 94%, Breck @ 100%, SS @ 116%, Telly @ 84%, WC @ 82%, Purg @ 83%.

Go BC!
JustPanda
AG
One thing you can start to take from these snowpack totals is where the best rafting will be this summer. Currently, it looks like the Yampa and the Upper/Lower Colorado will have a solid rafting season. Those basins are all at 100%+ of the average snowpack. The Arkansas, Upper Rio, Guni, San Animas, Dolores, San Juan are healthy but not crushing it like last year. They are around 85-90% of the average. We will see if those number continue to widen or start to narrow as March progresses.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I'd be pretty pissed as well if I hit a ski in powder I couldn't see that was there because someone gave up looking for it.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
PSA to Smith Goggle owners... Last season, I bought a pair of I/O Mags which have been great. This season, the strap started developing this sticky residue and it started ****ing up my helmet. It comes off with rubbing alcohol, but overall it's just annoying to have to deal with.

Apparently, it's a common issue. Sent in a warranty claim (goggles are probably 18 months old) and they sent me a coupon for $270 to replace them with a brand new set. I did have to destroy them by etching an "X" in the lens and cutting the strap, but I thought that was a nice piece of customer service.

The cool part is that I provided proof of purchase from Backcountry.com showing I only bought them for $100, but they are still replacing at full MSRP.

oldag941
AG
Finally, at 51, bought myself a set of ski boots. Pumped to try them out next week. Nordica Soeed Machine 120.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

PSA to Smith Goggle owners... Last season, I bought a pair of I/O Mags which have been great. This season, the strap started developing this sticky residue and it started ****ing up my helmet. It comes off with rubbing alcohol, but overall it's just annoying to have to deal with.

Apparently, it's a common issue. Sent in a warranty claim (goggles are probably 18 months old) and they sent me a coupon for $270 to replace them with a brand new set. I did have to destroy them by etching an "X" in the lens and cutting the strap, but I thought that was a nice piece of customer service.

The cool part is that I provided proof of purchase from Backcountry.com showing I only bought them for $100, but they are still replacing at full MSRP.

Same thing is happening to mine I bought last year! I will do this. Thank you!
Yesterday
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Same thing is happening to mine I bought last year! I will do this. Thank you!
Make that a third customer! Thanks for the info!
Jock 07
AG
Interesting, is it just the I/os? I bought the 4d mags this year, will have to keep an eye out for them next year.
1997 AG
AG
Driving the family from the San Antonio area to Taos next week. Any "best routes" or roads to absolutely avoid on the way up. Done the Lubbock trip multiple times so wondering if it's better to go through there or towards Roswell. Thanks.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Jock 07 said:

Interesting, is it just the I/os? I bought the 4d mags this year, will have to keep an eye out for them next year.

Not sure. I know that when I submitted the warranty claim for mine… I selected I/o mag as the product and there was actually a drop down as a part of the reason that was "sticky strap."

I bought mine in October 2022 for $100 because they were at least one season old. I'm assuming that it was probably just covid related ****ty production.
RGRAg1/75
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Made the (very late) decision to do CO for Spring Break. We have 3 kids (13, 10 & 8). Any areas we should vector in on based on our priorities below:

• convenience to DEN (flying in from IAH)
  • avoiding massive crowds
  • slopeside preferred
  • new to CO mountains (usually do UT or MT), so relative ease to navigate
  • ease of access to rental gear for kiddos

Thanks!
Settled on BC.

Panda, who should we rent from there?
toolshed
AG
Headed to Created Butte with the kids next week. Looks to be a warm week, but thankful for all the snow dump the last couple weeks.
JustPanda
AG
Skied Vail and BC today. The warm temperatures and sun turned the powder over pretty quickly. The trees and areas that didn't get sun are still nice, but anything that's gotten sun is crunchy and kinda blah. Outside of the trees, not much good pow to be found. Groomers are nice w a solid base.

At Vail, skied 8 to 2 to 4 to 14 to 21 back to 11 and then back to 2 over to 26 and then down. The back wasn't really worth the trip. We did 1 run back there and cut bait.
JustPanda
AG
Headed to ski BC. Getting to ride up at 7:30am since I'll be with my big shot brother who gets early mountain access.
Jock 07
AG
On my way to Breck for our sq ski trip. Hopefully I can find some decent snow. Looking forward to seeing all my Texan brethren.
JustPanda
AG
The overall snow is good, it's just gonna be mostly refreeze chop outside if the groomers early and sticky wet gravy once it catches sun. The trees are really nice and the groomers are well covered. Only a few gravel spots yesterday. Mostly on the feed down to the base chairs.

Snowing in Glenwood.
JustPanda
AG
Just got an alert that 25 N is closed at Castle Rock Pkwy. Not sure if that's how you get to Breck but wanted to lyk.
oldag941
AG
I always loved the drive to Breck via Woodland Park and Hartsell and Fairplay, Alma. Better scenery, but two lane roads.
Tecolote
AG
1997 AG said:

Driving the family from the San Antonio area to Taos next week. Any "best routes" or roads to absolutely avoid on the way up. Done the Lubbock trip multiple times so wondering if it's better to go through there or towards Roswell. Thanks.
Roads are better to just stay with the straight shot US 84 route through Lubbock.
Jock 07
AG
JustPanda said:

Just got an alert that 25 N is closed at Castle Rock Pkwy. Not sure if that's how you get to Breck but wanted to lyk.
passing through divide, glad I decided to go the back way this morning
Visibility is **** up here right now. Hopefully it clears once I get over Hoosier
Jock 07
AG
oldag941 said:

I always loved the drive to Breck via Woodland Park and Hartsell and Fairplay, Alma. Better scenery, but two lane roads.

Yup, that's my route this morning
Beautiful views when you drop into the valley.
MAS444
AG
Any updates/forecasts/conditions for Telluride for the next week? Driving up from ABQ Saturday. Anyone else going to be there?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.