Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,921 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
TH36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nm
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Sweet, I'll shoot you a message when we get a bit closer. Taking the oldest two boys skiing for the first time (4 and 3) so wish us luck.
JustPanda
AG
Soo I thought I'd post this given all of the powder that's fallen in CO and UT etc over the last week...

How to ski on piste/groomed:

Weight into toes of skis

To turn: Stand on the outside ski
Use the inside edge of the outside ski to create a grip
Ski "one foot at a time"

To Stop: Twist and skid your skis to slow down

How to ski powder:

Increase your surface area & Adjust Ski Shape:

WIDER and LONGER skis w ROCKER on toes and PARTIAL ROCKER or FULL ROCKER heels. If it's less than 6 inches anything from an mid 70 - 100 waist. If 6 - 12 inches, 93 - 110 waist. Anything 12+, 100 - 120+ waist. Also, increase ski length 8-10cm (size up one ski length - don't worry about going to fast [will discuss later]). DO NOT PUT YOU WEIGHT DOWNHILL. Weight both skis evenly (ski two feet at a time - DO NOT TRY TO PIZZA AND FRENCH FRY - you want your skis to stay almost parallel to each other the entire time), keep a centered vs. a forward stance stance and keep your shoulders over your toes NOT THE TOES OF THE SKIS (I even recommend sitting back kinda like chair pose in yoga). By spreading your body weight evenly across both skis, it will help you keep your tips above the snow. When you put the weight downhill or into the toes, you anchor the tips, and death scorpion forward.

Turn at the waist, not the edge:

You have nothing to grip your edges, so you have to adjust. At the top of the turn arc, bend at the knees and weight the skis as if you're trying to push the snow away underneath you. Then when you're ready to finish the turn and start the next one, extend your legs to unweight the skis making it easier for your body and skis to change direction.

Keep your speed to catch float:

Speed in powder is your friend, The deeper the powder, the greater the amount of resistance meaning you CANT get out of control going downhill as the mountain is naturally catching you as you "fall". When your skis are on the top of the snow you glide along with little to no resistance, but when your skis are under the snow your tips will start to nosedive (as we've all experienced) grinding you to a halt. Think of your skis like an airplane… you need speed to generate lift. This is also where a good wax will help to reduce friction and make floating easier.

Lengthen your turns and make them less shallow:

Given how speed helps you in powder, and how the mountain naturally reduces your ability to speed out, lengthen your turns. It reduces friction and longer turns results in your tips facing downhill longer, it also helps to maintain a consistent speed and maintain your momentum. The more you turn, the more energy you waste and the more your legs will shake because you're literally moving the mountain as you drop.

Slow your pole swing and size down:

When skiing powder, your poles serve as anchor points when they bury under the snow. This pulls you into the mountain, and pulls your ski tips down. By extending the count on your pole swing (most beginers turn on and swing on a one count, most intermediates are a 2-3 count, and most experts are a 3+ count) you limit the amount of forward drag on the forward portion of the skis via your upper body moving out forward over the ski toes. By limiting the upper body moving forward and back like a pendulum, you keep your weight balanced under the waists, keeping the toes elevated and dramatically decreaseing the amount youre fighting the mountain.

Also, size down a pole length to help naturally reduce the subconscious reaction to bury your poles through your turns. ITS A MYTH THAT YOUR POLES SHOULD BE A RIGHT ANGLE W THE ELBOW. That puts a TON of stress on the elbow joint and increase the risk or tennis/golfers elbow and the chance of hyper extending your elbow. When you hold the poles with the TIPS on the ground (Not turned over holding under the baskets), the want the poles at a very slight downward angle from the elbow. That length provides enough cushion for the elbow and reduces the likelihood of dragging on dropping the poles behind you (common technique mistake for beginners and intermediate skiers).

Sorry for the long post. I just thought it would help since you guys and gals don't get the chance to practice your technique on 40+ powder days a year
Jock 07
AG
Welp, reading the wind warnings and avalanche warnings for today, looks like I'm gonna have to wave off heading up today.
JustPanda
AG
Im gonna throw that parking pass and permit in the mail for you That way you won't need me whenever you decide to trip to to Vail. I only grabbed one hang tag, but I'll grab more and leave them in the shop for you. The big one is the keycard to enter the gate.

I'll get that sent off express this morning. I'll send ya tracking when I have it.

Probs not the worst call. It's gonna blow in hard and fast and that trip up Vail pass may be a real you know what later today. Always better safe than sorry. Tomorrow will be here before we know it.
Jock 07
AG
Ha, thanks, gonna make it up there one day, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Might try again next week.
Pahdz
Good tip about the poles, I need to get new ones this year and definitely feel like I need some shorter ones.
MouthBQ98
AG
Kicking around grabbing a set of all mountain RCR type skis as someone very intermediate but wanting to improve over time, and wanting to graduate from rentals to something I can get good at.

I do groomed runs/piste, just like to weave my way from top to bottom at a decent clip.

I am looking at some stuff in the low to mid 80's range that will turn well, but trying to decide length. I am 5'9" 160#. 175cm. Most estimators show me using a roughly 170cm ski. My question is would I look at a bit shorter or longer than that or would I even notice much of a difference between a 167 or 173 ski? Looking for something I would get good value/use out of for a few years so I am trying to decide if I should look on the long side of 170 or not.
Pahdz
I love the Fischer RC One GT's 166/82 I own. I prefer ripping groomed runs at speed and these are stable and quick for me. I'm 5'9" 210.
Jock 07
AG
By no means an expert but I loved my 186 kendos I had for 10 yrs. Only really upgraded cause I needed something longer and wider for my stature.
HUEY04
AG
On my recent trip, which was the first in well over a decade, I was skiing more confidently on my own gear by the first afternoon than I did on days 4-5 of a trip in the past which was always on rentals. I'm convinced the difference is in the ability to really push the boots and skis like I never could before. I'm a really big guy so that probably plays into it, but when I was told to drive the front of the boot it always felt like it was just going to fold in half and/or the skis would just bend in half. With my 130 flex boots and 184cm Rossi Exp 82 TI's I finally really felt what they meant about rolling the edge and pushing the tip in to carve through icy conditions.
JustPanda
AG
You're ahead of me on the 130. That's a sick setup. If anyone wants it, it's $1,428+ tax full MSRP kit on pivots. I can get it for like $550.00 + tax and $35 shipping.
MouthBQ98
AG
Well, now I did it. Bought some blizzzard Brahma 82's in 166. Went conservative in length because I want them to turn more than anything else and I know it'll take me some work to get the most out of them. Should be fun.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Damn I don't venture to this board very much so haven't seen this thread until yesterday.

Heading to Breck 1/30-2/3, Purgatory 2/17-18, and Steamboat 3/9-10. Stoked for all of it, and might try to cram one more trip in.

JustPanda, if it's cool with you I'm gonna email you to set up rentals in Breck, I already have boots/helmet/goggles so just need skis and poles. Might have to buy some skis after the season ends this year, didn't realize we had such a generous and well connected person on the boards.
JustPanda
AG
Yeah shoot me an email
Pahdz
Good skis, have several friends with almost that exact setup here and they love them
rather be fishing
AG
Schweitzer picked up 8" today and will have all lifts operating tomorrow. I'll be in Spokane for Bluey Live, but I'm looking forward to Friday.

I figured they were going to get at least double that amount out of this one. We got pounded all day. Probably dropped a good 10-12" at the house. RIP to my snow blower chute that shattered from a combination of frigid cold and rocks. Going to have to see if I can find a replacement part.

JP, you got a snowblower hookup?
wessimo
AG
Going to be in SLC next week and hoping to ski on Friday - probably Alta or Brighton.

Where's the best place to get rentals and discount lift tickets?
wessimo
AG
SNOWNADO

Greeze06
AG
Wild
agracer
AG
JustPanda said:

Yeah shoot me an email
Do you have rentals in Winter Park? I think you did not list that earlier but wanted to double check.
DBill
AG
Quick question as myself and family are heading to Purgatory for our first ever ski trip soon.

I sustained a torn MCL and PCL about 3 months ago and have been recovery nicely from it, no surgery just rest and rehab.

How realistic is it that I will be skiing with the fam? I've come to terms that I'll try it but ultimately listen to my body. I haven't been on skis in a very long time but remember it can be taxing on the knees.

Any helpful tips from folks with bad knees or injuries that have successfully done it? I'll plan to wear a compression sleeve or even a better brace if needed.
chickencoupe16
AG
DBill said:

Quick question as myself and family are heading to Purgatory for our first ever ski trip soon.

I sustained a torn MCL and PCL about 3 months ago and have been recovery nicely from it, no surgery just rest and rehab.

How realistic is it that I will be skiing with the fam? I've come to terms that I'll try it but ultimately listen to my body. I haven't been on skis in a very long time but remember it can be taxing on the knees.

Any helpful tips from folks with bad knees or injuries that have successfully done it? I'll plan to wear a compression sleeve or even a better brace if needed.

In my experience, skiing puts forces on your knee unlike any other sport and I'd be nervous to try it. I had my ACL repaired 4 years ago and every now and then I can feel it while skiing - not enough to hurt but definitely enough to make my heart skip a beat.

That said, if you feel 100% confident in every other thing you do and that involves some reasonably athletic things, I'd try it. If the most athletic thing you do is straightline running or less, I'd definitely test the knee with a good workout involving twisting/turning/cutting.

It also couldn't hurt to call your doctor.
DBill
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

DBill said:

In my experience, skiing puts forces on your knee unlike any other sport and I'd be nervous to try it. I had my ACL repaired 4 years ago and every now and then I can feel it while skiing - not enough to hurt but definitely enough to make my heart skip a beat.

That said, if you feel 100% confident in every other thing you do and that involves some reasonably athletic things, I'd try it. If the most athletic thing you do is straightline running or less, I'd definitely test the knee with a good workout involving twisting/turning/cutting.

Yeah, I asked my PT and they said be careful, listen to your body etc..

I haven't held a ton of hope that I would be able to much more than bunny hills. Unsure if I'll rent equipment for more than a day or so.
chickencoupe16
AG
DBill said:

chickencoupe16 said:

DBill said:

Yeah, I asked my PT and they said be careful, listen to your body etc..

I haven't held a ton of hope that I would be able to much more than bunny hills. Unsure if I'll rent equipment for more than a day or so.

If the PT's good with it, I'd at least try it out! I just thought about it, but right after I tore my ACL, I walked down to the bunny slope from the green I was on and skiied the rest of the way. Straight away and left turns were fine but right turns took both poles and a little hopping on the uninjured leg.
JustPanda
AG
Don't wear a compression. Wear this - it's WAY better. I ski with one on both knees.

Working on a wobble / balance board before to help the stabilizers snd balance is critical too

MouthBQ98
AG
I tore my ACL and meniscus and hardline fractured the head of my tibia last year on the end of day 1. I actually skied 2 more hours after doing it, I was just careful. The knee got swollen and stiffened up that night so we went and got one of those side stiff braces like the one above and wrapped the knee up, and I took ibuprofen and half a day off, then skied the bunny slope and worked up to greens and moderate blues. that afternoon. I skied two more full days of blues with my knee freshly wrecked like that.

I had to be careful about twisting for sure and my left leg got a workout as I would use it more for stopping and what not, and I fell over a couple of times because I got sideways s big to much and flopped instead of buckling my knee, but the only really bad part was I could barely bend the knee enough to get on the chair lifts, and getting off was a bit dicey. Once I was on the slopes, no problem as long as I kept my skis parallel and my knees forward..

I even went back down the black that broke me successfully on the last day.

If you are adequately careful and have adequate strength and flexibility back, I think it can be done. I'm going skiing again less than 11 months after my ACL /meniscus surgery in a few weeks. Keep up your therapy.
DBill
AG
Great info! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
Ag97
AG
I tore my ACL on the second day of a 3 day trip 5 years ago. Skied the remainder of the day it happened and half the next day. It's doable but if you catch an edge you don't have much control of where that ski goes. Worst part of it for me was just pulling off the boot at the end of the day. Felt like someone was pulling my knee apart.
maroon10
AG
What's the forecast in the next week? Any big storms on their way again?
GarlandAg2012
AG
LRHF said:

CavitationAG said:

Last day at Purg. Been on the mountain since last Thursday. Snow has been good for lifts 1 and 3. We may venture back to lift 8 today to hit Dante's since the novice crew left this morning. Everyone I've talked to has said the runs under 8 still need quite a bit more snow.

I skied lifts 3 and 5 today- was a blast! 8 still needs more snow

My family and I are heading to Purgatory in mid-Feb. I'm sure you have your own gear but do you happen to know of a rental shop you'd recommend? We might just go through the resort but if there's a better option I'd be all ears.
LRHF
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

LRHF said:

CavitationAG said:

Last day at Purg. Been on the mountain since last Thursday. Snow has been good for lifts 1 and 3. We may venture back to lift 8 today to hit Dante's since the novice crew left this morning. Everyone I've talked to has said the runs under 8 still need quite a bit more snow.

My family and I are heading to Purgatory in mid-Feb. I'm sure you have your own gear but do you happen to know of a rental shop you'd recommend? We might just go through the resort but if there's a better option I'd be all ears.

We've taken friends to Ski Barn for their rentals and they've always been happy with the quick service. I don't have any comparisons so that what I've got!
GarlandAg2012
AG
LRHF said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

LRHF said:

CavitationAG said:

We've taken friends to Ski Barn for their rentals and they've always been happy with the quick service. I don't have any comparisons so that what I've got!
Thanks!
GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

Yeah shoot me an email
Email sent!
Dgiaco95
AG
Ski Barn sounds better than the resort. The resort rental shop took forever when we went last week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.