Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

212,827 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Cibalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It wasn't just weather related. Just nothing went right from the start. It sucks having put in time researching and planning the trip, spending the money and then the 2.5 days you had planned turns into 0.5 days.

My wife has her busy season at work starting mid January until end of March. So it was either go now or don't go at all.

My kids are good travelers. They probably go on 4-5 flights a year with us. This is actually their 3 weekend in a row of travel; Corpus, Atlanta, Keystone/Denver.

If we go again i will look at some smaller places in NM.
JustPanda
AG
Totally random aside here but flying into Denver is always a recipe for disaster. It doesn't matter if it's winter or summer, Denver and I-70 always have issues. I'd highly recommend avoiding DIA and flying into either Montrose or Eagle or Aspen or Hayden if you decide to come back to CO. Non-stop from Houston or Dallas or connecting in DFW or HOU for a non-stop makes things MUCH easier. It's well worth the extra money IMO. Might be a couple extra $100 bucks but makes things soo soo soo much easier. You couldn't pay me to make the 70 drive into Denver on a Sunday. Ever!

Edit to add: I had friends flying back into EGE, ASE, and DIA this weekend. The EGE and ASE flights arrived delayed but not crazy delayed (2ish hours) but both were home within 3 hours of the planned arrival. My friend that flew into DIA arrived 5 hours delayed and has been stuck there trying to get back since yesterday. I think he just made it home so yeah it's usually a way better option in bad weather and can save your gonads.

And to people that will say the flights are always insane, that's not true. I've flown from ASE and EGE several times over the last 6 months to visit my dad and the most I've paid round trip was $585. That includes 2 flights since ski season started. Denver was like $285 so $300 more but saved 5-6 hours round trip, 350 miles, and the headache of I-70. Plus, much smaller and less stressful airports. Well worth it in my opinion.
RangerRick9211
AG
****, first taste of internet since Saturday morning. Our place lost 1, massive dougy that took 6 with it and 7 cedars later fell in the wind storm. History books: worst wind storm in 50 years. Now we have an ice storm tomorrow.

Complete temp inversion: Meadow's on Hood was 34, we in Portland, 500', 14 and wind chill of -2 with 60 gusts. No water or power since Saturday (no clue on return) and holed up in a hotel after crashing some friends house with our circus (5 yr old, old lab, wife at the hospital, me spying the blue bird day on the mountain) for two nights.

Those with power were normal life today texting me about the prime skiing. The nots have been managing trees on their house and burst water pipes.

The Gorge is so special, but it blows with the east wind when we gat a high/low dispersion across the cascades.
JustPanda
AG
To anyone renting skis - if the shop has 3 tiers of rentals, I'd avoid them. Any store that pushes a sport, performance, and demo line is putting lip stick on a pig and renting out crap training wheels or old hard run skis at an elevated margin and calling them "performance" skis and then massively up charging for the real "demos" by making you think they are unique and special. They aren't unique and they aren't special, they are the norm but the shop wants you to think they're unique.

There are two types of skis: beginner (Rossi RTLs etc) and everything else. Beginner skis are going to be more flexible, easier sidewall cut, and narrower at the waist but more parabolic in the toes/heels. The top sheet will be super boring and super plain (because they aren't trying to sell them to anyone but rental shops so why put any give a **** into the top sheet design). Don't let them fool you!

If you aren't an overt beginner, one question that I always respect that will speaks volumes about the quality they're putting you on: How many of you local friends ride on this ski?

Beginner skis (mostly white and black, green and black, or another combo of white/black/green etc but a VERY basic top sheet that plasters the name of the ski all over it)

Not Beginner Skis (far more attention to the top sheet, doesn't have the name and model plastered all over the ski (Kastle would be the exception here), and overall has a more premium look and construction).

If you put a set of learners and a set of demos next to each other, the learners will look kinda like the equivalent of clown shoes to running shoes. You can run in both but ones makes it a lot easier.

Also a fair warning: most shops don't care if you have a good time, they just want you out the door and will tell you what you want to hear not what the truth. I'd always call and specifically get the lines of skis they're peddling. If you have any question about where we would classify them, shoot me a text or an email or post on here. I don't mind letting you guys and gals know where we would quantify that gear.

Another thing to note: skis have about a 100 day life before the core flexes out and the integrity is shot. If they have you in gear that's older than last season, don't take it as the number of days on those things is probably well over 100 already. You want this years gear or at the oldest last years. Anything older isn't what it was and they're making a killing renting out a ski they've already paid off 10x that been fully depreciated and will get sold to an auction for $35/pair after the season ends.

And yes that happens ALL the time. ALL ALL ALL the time.

They have a record of the ski days on every set they have in the store - I'd always rec asking how many days have been on them already and if it's an elevated number ask for a new set. That's not being a pain in the ass that's being smart.

For instance: our oldest gear was bought in 2022, I know shops that rent out gear that was bought pre covid. That's criminal IMO but when you have people value hunting to save $10/day it opens that door.

You don't usually test drive buy or rent the cheapest and oldest car w the most miles on it unless you really DGAF about the experience and just need to get to work. Same goes for skis.

Once you can link your turns, once you're off the pizza French fry train (level 4ish), get demos. It's a huge step up and makes a huge technical difference. They are safer and more responsive.

Oh yeah and no one that's a local learned to ski on RTLs. We all learned to ski on what would be classified as demos. That's a fact and kinda highlights where shops make their money. They love renting out RTLs at $10-15 dollars a day less then the demos because it keeps the demos fresh and the margin on the RTLs and other true beginner skis is the best in the shop outside of the margin on kids gear and merchandise.

Oh yeah again: if you're on RTLs etc DO NOT buy the insurance. Those skis do not belong anywhere but on groomers. I should NEVER see RTLs in the trees or the back bowls or anything that isn't groomed. If you're one of those people, you need to be on demo level gear. It SHOCKS me how many times I see people in the trees or in the back on RTLs or equivalents. That's NOT what they were made for and not even close. That's like takin a ford focus hybrid off roading or to the local race track. It will make it maybe but there's a lot better options.

Oh yeah again again: another back of the hand way to tell beginner skis vs not beginner skis is the toe cap on the front. SOME factories (Faction has a couple of lines and so does Atomic just off the dome) still have a couple of lines w toe caps, but a majority of skis w toe caps are beginner skis. Not all, but most.
MouthBQ98
AG
Thanks for the tips. I've been doing a lot of research this year and am learning a lot I'd have never known would matter to the experience.

Also not saying to turn little kids loose on the mountain but that if pushed or given some freedom to try and fall, they learn and get good super fast.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Another reason to get demos is they are stiffer. If you're a 230lb guy the flex on beginner skis is WAYYYY to Soft. Get demos.

Demos also almost always are wider under foot. If you want to conquer chopped up crud or softer days get a ski wider under foot which will almost always only be available in a demo skis.
MouthBQ98
AG
I learned to ski on old style straight skis. I still use edge slides a lot to control my speed, almost like a sideways snowboarder sometimes. I take it a ski with a bit wider underfoot is better at that, even if it wants to have a bigger turn radius?
Pahdz
yo why you gotta be hating on my first ever pair of skis, my Rossi Exp 75

Seriously though, it was the first ski purchase I ever made, and being that before I moved to MN I only skied maybe once a year or once every other year, I started basic. Didn't take long to figure out I needed something way more stable. I still rock a frontside mostly ski (Fischer RC One 82 GT) but it's far better than those old Rossi's.
JustPanda
AG
Yup. Stiffer construction and thicker waists. Also more variation under foot and at the toes to change the effective edge (rocker camber profile).
JustPanda
AG
Wider waist can be paired w a rocker camber rocker profile to shorten the effective edge and the turn radius. It's super cool how they have incorporated those modifications to alter the performance.
CREAg87
AG
Just over a week until I'm at Mt Hood again. Really hoping that the conditions are perfect so that they can open the Cascade Express lift.
Keep your rifle by your side
jpb1999
AG
Great info! Never really thought about it as I ski at most once a year and had a 15 year hiatus. Now have kids 9 and 11 and have gone the last 3 years and getting back into it.

I called one of the local PS ski shops. The basic skis they rent are either Head or Fischers and said they are OLD. The performance skis are Rossignol Smash 7s. He said they have a ton of demo skis and named off 4 or 5 too fast to really hear...

I will mostly be with kids on groomers, but I MAY venture off on my own a few times on some blues or easier blacks or MAYBE tree runs, but nothing extreme. So should I go with the performance skis or go up to the demos... not sure if the demos are worth it for what I will be doing. I have always just got the basic cheap skis in the past.

Here is where i called:
http://www.skipagosa.com/rates.htm

Should I look elsewhere for rentals?
JustPanda
AG
$50 a day is a solid price. We are at $100 a day w a 30% discount for online so like $80/day after tax for Vail/BC. Copper and Sumco are a little less but also have more low end gear.

The smash 7s aren't bad but I'd still consider them a beginner ski. I'd go w the demo for $10 more at $50. The fact he could name all of the sport and performance skis in one breath but the demos in multiple highlights my point. I think you'll really enjoy and appreciate the upgraded construction.
Jock 07
AG
Either Keystone or Vail for me tomorrow. Will make the call in the morning depending on how quick I can get out of the house and what I-70/ the back way looks like with the snow in the forecast.
JustPanda
AG
Lmk
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
My favorite all around all time ski is the Blizzard Rustler 10.

When I was younger it was the Blizzard Bondafide, but those skis are incredibly stiff and hard charger. Once I passed 40 my desire for crud busting speed went down.

I've liked some black crows, volkls and Lines in the past. But I always come back to blizzard.

The Rustler 10 and 11 are amazing. I literally won't need another ski for 10 years.
RMD10
AG
We drove from breck to vail yesterday and had to drive around but looks like vail pass is open since last night. Conditions are great today. If you ski vail I'll be the guy at the bar in all maroon
agracer
AG
Going to Winter Park in February.

2-boys are what I'd call intermediate skiers. Both have been multiple times in the last few years and wanted "demo" or better skis. They did a lot of blue and blacks last year and said the ski's they had were chopping or hard to control b/c the edge would not cut into the snow (or whatever).

Myself and other boy have both ski'd before but it's been 10-years. We were going to take a 1/2 day lesson the ski the afternoon together the 1st day.

I was looking here

https://epicmountainsports.com/winter/ski-snowboard-rentals/

Was looking at the "gold" package for the 2 intermediate boys and silver for myself and other son (since we have less experience).

Sounds like we should all just get the gold pacakge?

Or can you suggest somewhere in Winter Park (we're actually staying in Grandby and plan to ski there 2-day sand 1-day in Winter Park), so Fraser is an option as well).

Thanks
maroon10
AG
Panda can you get a discount on youth snow helmets?
JustPanda
AG
I own those black crows in the gold picture. Soooo, yeah it's solid gear. That looks a new sport machine which is a really nice rental boot. That probs a R95 so yeah. I'd go gold for the boys. It's a totally different feel.
JustPanda
AG
Anyone else always have to pee like a race horse right after you get off the mountain?
JustPanda
AG
Great day out there today. Hope you enjoyed it! If you want to grab a drink at El Sabor lmk.
Yesterday
AG
Listen here, Panda, I already have two expensive habits in golf and hunting(not including my wife). I don't need you here making me self conscious about my rentals I bought on eBay last year. All I need is for a long haired Spicoli laughing at my plain Rosignol skis as I struggle down the easy way greens.

Just kidding. Love your insight.
Jock 07
AG
JustPanda said:

Lmk

Will do
Any insight from your meteorologist buddy into how visibility will be tomorrow?
JustPanda
AG
Sounds like a hard blow in and blow out so probs not great. Looks like 15mph sustained and 30mph gusts at Vail and 80-90% cloud cover. Breck is 20mph sustained and 40+mph wind gusts. 80% cloud cover at Breck. So if that's true, probs a better conditioned day at Vail.

Jock 07
AG
Thanks for the info, how bout Keystone? Sounds like I might go ahead and try and push through to Vail tomorrow.
JustPanda
AG
Keystone looks to be about the same as Vail but looks like they are only picking up a couple inches. Vail is looking to pickup 6-9. I'd pick Vail. I got you a parking pass.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Going on a guy's trip to Breck next month. Any reason to rent from Christy's or a local shop vs one of the Vail shops with my pass discount?
rather be fishing
AG
Go through JustPanda and Charter
Jock 07
AG
JustPanda said:

Keystone looks to be about the same as Vail but looks like they are only picking up a couple inches. Vail is looking to pickup 6-9. I'd pick Vail. I got you a parking pass.

I would too, but the wife isn't feeling well and I'm being allowed to go but with the caveat of dropping off and picking up the kids from daycare which will significantly delay my departure time and the time I have to get back on the road. Looks like I'm not gonna be able to make it happen again unfortunately. I'm definitely gonna be up there in 2 weeks, skiing on the 1st and 2nd, and possibly morning of the 3rd. I'll swing by and say hey if you're working.
JustPanda
AG
Patience is a virtue
Jock 07
AG
JustPanda said:

Patience is a virtue

Indeed it is.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Is that who he is with? Still a ways out but going end of March and wanted to make note where I needed to take my business
InfantryAg
AG
Why don't you have a youtube channel? I've gotten great insight reading all these pages. Your knowledge (and weather) posts on this entire thread would be great videos.
JustPanda
AG
Yup! Just lmk how I can help out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.