Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,906 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
KaneIsAble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. Found that one and St. Bernard; just making sure there wasn't anything else.
Yesterday
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Thread hijack a little.

I need to get my small kids new gear (clothing) before a trip in February. Where is the best couple of places to go in the Houston area?
Amazon or Target. The gear won't last more than two seasons but it's cheap and kids grow out of them before then anyway. We have three kids 10,8,5 and this has worked for us very well the last three seasons.

If they like skiing look into buying their gear and reselling it every season. I've been able to do this for three kids for an initial investment of $275 and have saved ~$1300 over two years from renting. Downside is you have to pack it to the moutain.
h1ag
AG
When we have friends come up from TX who need ski gear, we go to the Columbia outlet. Cheap enough to not be a big deterrent to the sport, but their stuff works reasonably well, even if it's not the top end stuff.

Looks like there are 2 Columbia outlets near Houston: one in Cypress, one in Tx City.
clinte234
AG
Occasionally, even in Texas, Academy will have decent ski gear (especially kids) for good prices. Also...ski town WalMarts have decent/cheap gear that will last a few trips.
MouthBQ98
AG
The Chinese stuff on Amazon often isn't terrible, for the price, if you read the reviews to verify actual purchasers and how it works in use.

I'm part of a group looking at end of Jan/begin of Feb for a week in Purgstory or Angelfire. Can't wait.
rather be fishing
AG
Looking at a weekend trip to Big Sky around NYE. Any recommendations there? We've never been but have friends coming up from Texas so we may try to go see them and get a day of skiing in.
Tarponfly
AG
Taos is plenty steep and can be tough on a beginner. You should consider Santa Fe. Smaller, but generally good snow and majority blue runs.
ChipFTAC01
AG
LRHF said:

KaneIsAble said:

Thread hijack a little.

I need to get my small kids new gear (clothing) before a trip in February. Where is the best couple of places to go in the Houston area?

Sun ski and sports comes to mind

I kitted out my kids (both 6 at the time) last spring in Houston.

St Bernard is all stupid expensive Spyder and Obermeyer stuff that is a waste of money for kids that are gonna outgrow it in a year. I didn't find anything I liked at a decent price at s&s.

I bought almost everything online. Jackets from Columbia when they were having a Sale, base layers & fleece from Amazon. I got one of their bibs from a resale shop and the other ones from Amazon I think. Socks from maybe rei? Helmets & goggles online. Neighbors gave us hand me down snow boots for one and got the other ones from th resale shop. Gloves from somewhere.

Wife pi ked up some new snow boots this fall from some mommy trading group. Have your wife watch those.
JustPanda
AG
Big Sky is Big Thrill. You gotta catch it if you can.
JustPanda
AG
Facebook Marketplace? Poshmark? That's where we buy our kids stuff outside of the ski sales and discounts I get through work. You can find some insane deals there even if it involves shipping the item.

I'd stick with brand names that you can trust, especially at that age. I wouldn't put my kids in Amazon or something I don't know will hold heat. 2L or more for kids .
JustPanda
AG
I can get kids Spy + goggles for like $12-$22.
JustPanda
AG
I can get kids Obermeyer for like $60-$110 Volt Connor Enforcer Anya and jackets from like $75-$150.

Columbia kids line is great.
SunrayAg
AG
JustPanda said:

My daughter just moved there to work for the winter. Planning to go visit around Christmas... and also catch up with our son who works at Grand Targhee.
rather be fishing
AG
SunrayAg said:

JustPanda said:

My daughter just moved there to work for the winter. Planning to go visit around Christmas... and also catch up with our son who works at Grand Targhee.

Hopefully one or both will be there during the summer months so you can get in a fishing trip.
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

Facebook Marketplace? Poshmark? That's where we buy our kids stuff outside of the ski sales and discounts I get through work. You can find some insane deals there even if it involves shipping the item.

I'd stick with brand names that you can trust, especially at that age. I wouldn't put my kids in Amazon or something I don't know will hold heat. 2L or more for kids .

Poshmark has been out go-to recently for kids stuff. Returns are hassle free if you get it and it doesn't fit good. We picked up some Burton bibs for our oldest. I picked up a like new Giro helmet and Smith goggles last year.
Tecolote
AG
Tarponfly said:

Taos is plenty steep and can be tough on a beginner. You should consider Santa Fe. Smaller, but generally good snow and majority blue runs.
Taos is a lot tougher for a beginner. But, if planning on lessons, their ski school is top notch. Santa Fe is better for beginner/intermediate. If the snow is good in a given year/time, Sipapu is an incredible small, family place for beginner/intermediate. One can stay in Taos and both Taos Ski Valley and Sipapu are equidistant in terms of driving (about 30 min).
JustPanda
AG
Etsy has some killer old vintage 1 pieces for gaper day.
southtexasag
AG
We used Small World in Beaver Creek last year and our 4 year old loved it. Not sure if they have one in Vail as well. She wants to go back rather that ski this year when we go back at spring break.
Yesterday
AG
southtexasag said:

We used Small World in Beaver Creek last year and our 4 year old loved it. Not sure if they have one in Vail as well. She wants to go back rather that ski this year when we go back at spring break.

Exact same for our 4 year old. We already booked for this spring break. What days will yall be there?
oldag941
AG
We have had success with Lands End ski stuff for kids. Their quality is pretty good and their jackets have extendable sleeves so we typically can get 2-3 ski seasons out of a kid's ski parka. Worth a look.
southtexasag
AG
We will be there from March 9-14. Skiing 3 days I think, and 1 day at Copper Mountain sledding. We will have our kids in ski school for 2 days, oldest will ski with me after that and our daughter will go to small world. She is still talking about it almost a year later.
Jock 07
AG
Looked at small world as well for my twin 2 year olds. I know skiing gets expensive but having two in there gets expensive quick.
Yesterday
AG
Jock 07 said:

Looked at small world as well for my twin 2 year olds. I know skiing gets expensive but having two in there gets expensive quick.

Yea it's not cheap. We only did one day last year and regretted not doing a couple more because it was already booked. It's pricey until you have to take care of kids while skiing, then it's a bargain.
JustPanda
AG
Seriously considering starting a day care in TOV now...

Super stoked to also announce to any of the split boarders or ski bikers here, I FINALLY was able to snag Spark R&D and Lenz pro deals. 40% off website prices.

https://www.sparkrandd.com/
https://lenzsport.com/ski-bikes/
rebag00
AG
Skied Banff (Sunshine Village) and Lake Louise over Thanksgiving. Good rockies snow at Lake Louise, and they are making a lot. Hit or miss at Sunshine Village (watch out for the rocks!) I only saw two snow making machines there. No lift lines at either, but only operating at about 30-50%. Direct flight from DFW to Calgary, 90 minutes to Banff from there. Overall very positive early season skiing. They should be 100% by Christmas.
JustPanda
AG
Bibs came in today. Estimated delivery is Friday 12/1.
JustPanda
AG
Forecast updated:

16 expected in Snowmass through Sunday and 18 expected through 10 days.

11 expected in Vail/BC and 14 expected through 10 days

7 expected in Breck w 9 expected over 10 days.

17 expected in Telly w 18 expected over 10.

SS with 19 expected and 31 over 10! That's the rip right now.

Dry line still seems to be just east of Glenwood Canyon / Eagle County. San Juan's and Sawatch and Western Gore are getting in a lot heavier so far than Ten Mile.
dtkprowler
AG
A friend and I are planning on taking a quick weekend trip to Wolf Creak next weekend (12/8-12/10) and wanted to see if anyone had an insight on snow amounts in the area? We have been looking at their website and it shows 60% open with 39" of snow and a few more inches predicted before we head that way. Anyone familiar with the area or from there? Is 60% of the runs worth the trip up or will it be a nuisance to navigate? Should anymore open up over the coming days? Thanks for any insight you guys may have!
JustPanda
AG
I'm showing a 22 inch base which isn't much at all. They have gotten 23 over the last 5 days and expect another 14 through the weekend. The problem will be how warm it's supposed to get next week. Of anywhere in CO to go, it's probs the best spot early, but it may still be a little early for even WC. I'd let this roller come through and reassess early next week.
dtkprowler
AG
Awesome! Thank you so much for the insight! That is kinda what I was expecting. I may post a similar question next week after they have had hopefully some good snow! Thanks again.
JustPanda
AG
If they get up to a 30 inch base, I'd say green light. If it's less than 27-28 I'd say red light, and if it's 28-30 I'd say bring rock skis. I won't take out non-rock skis on less than a 30 inch base. It's kinda my rule of thumb.

Edit to add: Most resorts either drop rope for new terrain on Monday/Tuesday. Sometimes they will drop on a Friday if they need more terrain open to disperse crowds but usually it's the beginning of the week.
Biggame12
AG
Deer Valley and Telluride
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Lets gooooo.
dtkprowler
AG
Does your answer change at all if we are very amateur (only skied a few times) and we are only looking to relax for a day on Greens and Blues?
RangerRick9211
AG

I'm heading to Bach tomorrow. By Monday, all the snow will be washed away in OR/WA via atmospheric river. Freezing level 10k'+ and 4-5" of rain forecasted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.