Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,935 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Up at Mt A. They close next week but the snow is still coming down. It's great conditions.

Pond skim next Saturday for closing weekend. It has been an excellent season. I'll probably try to make it up to Bach a couple times for some spring skiing.
rather be fishing
AG
Cleaned the locker out today but took the oldest into the back bowl. She did awesome. Schweitzer has 2 more weekends but we're busy so today was our last day. They had 1-2" overnight so had a nice little layer.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
We went up today and skied a few runs at Mt A. Slushy skiing with rain and wind. Not great, but no place I'd rather be than up on the local mountain with my daughter.
LRHF
AG
Skied and fished Purg today! Rode down to lift 8 then did some cutthroat fishing. It was a good day!

Yesterday
AG
LRHF said:

Skied and fished Purg today! Rode down to lift 8 then did some cutthroat fishing. It was a good day!

You're doing it right sir.
JustPanda
AG
Hitting up Snowmass close and BC close tomorrow then hitting Iron Mountain Hot Springs on the way back into town. Aspen and Vail closing next Sunday.

Wanted to say thank you to everyone for a safe and shred epic season. I hope everyone has an amazing offseason and thank you thank you thank you for all of the gifts etc. You guys and gals are too kind. Photo below of all the awesome gifts.

agdaddy04
AG
Drove up to Breck today. Nice day on the mountain.
rather be fishing
AG
JP, appreciate everything you do
maroon10
AG
Already purchased our 3 day tickets for the boat for next Spring…our 9 year old can't wait!
wessimo
AG
After taking the family to Banff (Sunshine and Lake Louise) the last three years for spring break we are thinking about trying Whistler next year. Kids are 11-15 and we typically ski four days.

Any tips or recommendations for Whistler?

How are the crowds mid-March?

What's the best way to save on lift tickets (the window rate is ridiculous)?
JustPanda
AG
People either love WBC or hate it. I'm in the later group. It cool and all that it has snow year round etc etc but skiing from snow to heavy rain and mud isn't my idea of fun and EVERY time we've gone outside of Jan/Feb that's the conditions we hit. I'd hit up a smaller less known hill if you're gonna stay in Canada. A lot to lpick that aren't a VR resort.
LRHF
AG
Went swimming today at the Purg pond skim!

https://www.instagram.com/stories/cory_aka_lrhf/3346350015939099409?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MXFhcXRhc2Y5eHZpOQ==
Yesterday
AG
LRHF said:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/cory_aka_lrhf/3346350015939099409?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MXFhcXRhc2Y5eHZpOQ==

That's awesome!!
InfantryAg
AG
Last day at Mt Shasta. No lift lines, 7 inches of fresh powder overnight and another few today.

Good way to end the season. Now to get in some back-country runs.

Thanks for everyone's contributions here, I've garnered a bunch of good info and upgraded all my kit.

Thanks for all the info JP, and for starting this great 6 month long, 69+ page thread. Good luck in Mexico, the cartels ruined the future plans I had there.
RangerRick9211
AG
Dual sport weekend season.

Meadows is keeping the doors open for another month. Heading to Bach on Friday for another MTB/Ski weekend.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
InfantryAg said:

Last day at Mt Shasta. No lift lines, 7 inches of fresh powder overnight and another few today.

Thanks for everyone's contributions here, I've garnered a bunch of good info and upgraded all my kit.

Thanks for all the info JP, and for starting this great 6 month long, 69+ page thread. Good luck in Mexico, the cartels ruined the future plans I had there.
We'll have to meet up next year at Mt A or Shasta.

Honestly, the season started super slow/late, but it was a great season with the amount of snow we got.
LRHF
AG
Nice bike ride!
JustPanda
AG
My after ski activity as of late.
docb
AG

Still enough snow to make it down the mountain at least. April 21st close. Looks like at least one more powder day coming tomorrow.
wessimo
AG
What other ski areas do you recommend?
JustPanda
AG
What are the criteria??
Jock 07
AG
LRHF said:

What am I doing wrong?
LRHF
AG
I had it as a story and it's expired…. I should Have
Made an IG reel
wessimo
AG
2 hours or less from an airport, uncrowded during the week in mid March, typically good snow conditions mid March, at least a few beginner/intermediate runs, ski school, nearby town with decent dining options.

One thing we really like about Banff for spring break is that it is more or less low season and there is hardly ever a wait to get on a lift.
rather be fishing
AG
wessimo said:

2 hours or less from an airport, uncrowded during the week in mid March, typically good snow conditions mid March, at least a few beginner/intermediate runs, ski school, nearby town with decent dining options.

One thing we really like about Banff for spring break is that it is more or less low season and there is hardly ever a wait to get on a lift.
Fly into Spokane and you've got several options within 2 hours.
JustPanda
AG
Big White comes to mind first. Not much in the US that's gonna fit that bill and not be crowded at SB.
rather be fishing
AG
JustPanda said:

Big White comes to mind first. Not much in the US that's gonna fit that bill and not be crowded at SB.
One thing to keep in mind, at least for the Spokane area, they typically do their SB the first week of April. The MT school we are in did SB the last week of March. Sandpoint, ID where Schweitzer is, had theirs the first week of April. Dates for your SB may be significantly different from the local districts, especially up north where they tend to push later.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Followup to our "what skis" conversation: i have a set of black crows solis 180 on the way. Super excited about them, seems like a great inbounds/sidecountry charger
agdaddy04
AG
I've been enjoying my Salomon QST 92 177's but potentially interested in an upgrade next year. Had bought some Atomix Hawk 120 boots off marketplace but interested in a Better sole insert. Seems like each time I put them on my feet hurt like hell until I start downhill
InfantryAg
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

InfantryAg said:

We'll have to meet up next year at Mt A or Shasta.

Honestly, the season started super slow/late, but it was a great season with the amount of snow we got.
definite meetup.

I would like to say I'd be up in your area before then (camping etc) but time has been flying. As long as the heat wave is not as bad as last summer, I plan on spending time in the trininty alps. Otherwise trips elsewhere.

I was worried in December, already having a season pass. I did get my moneys worth, but did not ski as much as I would have liked to.
InfantryAg
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I've been enjoying my Salomon QST 92 177's but potentially interested in an upgrade next year. Had bought some Atomix Hawk 120 boots off marketplace but interested in a Better sole insert. Seems like each time I put them on my feet hurt like hell until I start downhill
Did you read the earlier posts in this thread about boot-fitting? Or the separate thread about boot-fitting? Great advice.

My local shop did not know what they were doing, so I tried on what I thought was best, pulled out the liners and checked the volume. Sales people just gave strange looks. I ordered last years model of Atomic Hawx 120s and heat molded them.

I went to get custom insoles, but had some old heat mold inserts that made the boot fit like a glove, so I've held off.

After a few ski days, I am now going to re-heat mold one shell with some 1/8 padding on top of my left foot, where the nerve runs. Same issue you have, pressure on top when I'm on the lift and when just standing around.

I know I started off with a very good fitting boot (1 mondo size down from my foot size) and that's made everything else easy and way cheaper than I was prepared to spend.
JustPanda
AG
Nice! Love the 100 waist. Lmk what you think of them.
JustPanda
AG
That's kinda what you want That's the universe screaming PRO FIT. Unbuckle the rachets on the lift. That's what we do. The fact they feel good when engaged is huge. Now you just gotta get them really set into your foot mold. Above poster nailed it. Wouldn't be a bad time to look at brining the liner in for a quick heat molding. You may need some side wall punching if you have wider feet. Just a little bit of focus in that space will pay huge dividends. And as mentioned above, if you're getting that style of work done or ordering boots, size down. That's a big big big one. ALOT of boot issues can be solved by moving under the mondo you measure.
MAS444
AG
Just wanted to add that I purchased the Stokli Stormrider 88s that I asked about previously and love them! Really happy with them and got em at a great price.
agdaddy04
AG
I did the whole boot in the oven at Epic in Boulder last year. Understand maybe that wasn't the best place. Thanks for the advice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.