Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,892 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Snow today and tomorrow and then Tuesday - Thursday.
MAS444
1997 AG
AG
Appreciate it.
rather be fishing
AG
Schweitzer has had 5ft in the last week
JustPanda
AG
70 closed in Glenwood Canyon. Rockslide. Extended closure expected.

Greeze06
AG
Taking the fam to Breck next week. Hope to see some of yall around!
rather be fishing
AG

Not as cool as this one.
JustPanda
AG
On a weird serious note, I actually saw a rock go through a car windshield last year as I was driving to Vail on the opposite side of 70. Turns out it was the assistant principle at Roaring Fork HS and it killed her. Still can see that rock hitting the windshield. So crazy. The canyon is its own beast.
JustPanda
AG
Starting next Friday, it's going to WARM. It'll probs be pretty icy this next week too. Highs in the high 30s and lows in the teens. Be careful out there.
Jock 07
AG
Breck was pretty decent, peak 10 wasn't nearly as icy as I would've figured it'd be. Peak 6 still had some pretty good snow. Ventured into the trees a little and there was some good stashes in there.

Man I had forgotten the beating it is there to get from one area to another with no backside. Also I had forgotten that all the runs seem a lot shorter than all the other mountains.
trestamu
AG
Doing the same. Thankful for the earlier snow.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Jock 07 said:

Breck was pretty decent, peak 10 wasn't nearly as icy as I would've figured it'd be. Peak 6 still had some pretty good snow. Ventured into the trees a little and there was some good stashes in there.

Man I had forgotten the beating it is there to get from one area to another with no backside. Also I had forgotten that all the runs seem a lot shorter than all the other mountains.

Yeah, I hadn't skiied Breck since high school I think and that was a real disappointment. If you're staying on just one or two peaks it's fine but getting across the whole resort is a beating. We about had a fight in our group because we were on 9 and someone wanted to get over to 7 before lunch.
JustPanda
AG
Some of the shortest runs in CO for a major hill. It's a relatively flat mountain too.
Jock 07
AG
Yea, that's what I thought. This was my first time back in probably damn near a decade. So why's it so popular then, the town?
JustPanda
AG
No idea. I think it's one where they have the town and the name recognition and good marketing to people that don't know better. It's a beautiful town so all of my comments are related to the quality of skiing not the ease of access, night life etc. I'd love to win a place there lol BUT there's a reason that most Sumco locals ride Keystoned or Copper. Breck is legit like 95% tourists, windy, flat, short, and crowded. I have probs 20-30 friends that live in Sumco and they haven't ridden Breck in years. If the 70 corridor was a group of girls, Breck would be a 7/10 in a crowd of 9's and 10s. It's not that the 7/10 is bad looking, and in most places she'd be the focus of the bar, but in her cohort you wouldn't take her home first or second or third and if you're being honest if you're dropping that far down the list, you'd almost just rather get a late night taquito and go to bed vs having your friends know who stayed over and having to explain it the next day or week or month.

Edit to add: like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'd much rather ride a small mountain like Pajarito when it has snow than Breck because Pajarito has some solid T2B skiing. It's 1/5 the size of Breck with runs 2x+ as long. Plus, virtually no diagonals of death because of that layout whereas Breck has one every 200 yards.

Edit to also add: From what I've found and heard in the shop etc, alot of the people that go to Breck have gone there forever. They have never skied outside of Sumco and usually not outside of Breck. So, I think it's one where they don't know. We have SO many guests that come in and when we ask where they usually ski they hit us with the "we always ski Breckenridge and we LOVE it but we decided to ski vail this time" and then return after the 1st or 2nd day of skiing and follow it up with "we will never go back to Breckenridge. We wish we'd have done this 10 years ago, How's BC compared to Vail?".
JustPanda
AG
Snow forecast has really shrunk for the northern and 70 corridor. Looks like maybe a couple of inches later this afternoon and then quiet until Wednesday/Thursday w a small accumulation on those days.

Should be much heavier in Southern Colorado. WC expecting good snow today and tomorrow. Otherwise, it's mostly quiet through Tuesday and then heavy snow in the south W-F.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

Snow forecast has really shrunk for the northern and 70 corridor. Looks like maybe a couple of inches later this afternoon and then quiet until Wednesday/Thursday w a small accumulation on those days.

Should be much heavier in Southern Colorado. WC expecting good snow today and tomorrow. Otherwise, it's mostly quiet through Tuesday and then heavy snow in the south W-F.
How do you think groomers will be on Monday-Thursday at BC? Thanks!
JustPanda
AG
Groomers will be great still. Solid snowpack on what's getting turned over each night. It's still getting REALLY cold at night so it'll be hard in the mornings, but overall grade. What's gonna be bit so perfect is the back and the areas that haven't been groomed. If we get 6/8 inches that'll fill back but right now it's crusted crud.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
How do the roads look getting to Steamboat? I hate to ask again but will snow chains/socks be necessary? Thanks for putting up with my questions.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
JustPanda
AG
When ya driving up? I'm headed there now. Should be good through Tuesday sundown.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
JustPanda said:

When ya driving up? I'm headed there now. Should be good through Tuesday sundown.
I'll be up in that area around Sunday and then we leave Thursday. We're coming from Texas, so I don't have snow tires. CO Department of Transportation is recommending snow tires or chains just east of Silverthorne.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
JustPanda
AG
Wednesday Thursday will be a crap shoot. I'll be snowing Wednesday and maybe Thursday around Steamboat but almost guaranteed VERY heavy snow will be falling to the south.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
warming up here on the west coast as well. We've got a good storm coming in this weekend but it looks like highs in the 40s on Mt Ashland for about a week starting next Thursday.

Spring skiing is some of my favorite time though and we've got a base that should last us a while.
MouthBQ98
AG
Is there a treatment for ski trip withdrawal? Maybe wistfully looking at properties for sale in southern Colorado…
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Could always move to a place with snow. Then you don't have to take trips to ski.
JustPanda
AG
We have a place in Glenwood for sale….
JustPanda
AG
3ft expected Wednesday- Saturday next week for Purg and WC. 2ft for Telly. Less than 12 for SS and 70 corridor/Snowmass.
JustPanda
AG
Here would be my recommendation, play it by ear and if you need to stay 6-12 hours longer in SS for the roads to clear, I'd do it vs. worrying about chains and socks and snow tires. Patience is a virtue and just check COTrip.com for the road conditions. That's what we do. If we see the roads caked over, we drive as far as is clear and then hang out and chill until the next section clears. It's way less stressful. I promise.
AgPrognosticator
AG
JustPanda, do you know anything about Big Sky?

Any tips?
JustPanda
AG
It's SICK when it has snow.

Freemount's Forrest has a fun roller coaster vibe but it has some line choices that are very much trees.

Swifty Soul and tango trees. Magic meadow above challenger. White witch and shaftway and single and double jack off lone tree are fun longer runs. The Bavarian Forrest off Dakota and the runs just skiers right at the top of Dakota.

We should do a ski podcast.
Pahdz
JustPanda said:

We should do a ski podcast.

Isn't that just what this thread is?

There's a Facebook group I'm part of called Skiers and Snowboarders of the Midwest which is really this thread's equivalent when it comes to ski info for Midwestern hills.

I love how the ski community always comes together to help each other have a great time wherever they're going.
RangerRick9211
AG
https://www.powder.com/trending-news/avalanche-forecaster-killed

This sucks. Dude was the avy forecaster at my local hill and A-Lakes/Wallowas are some of my favorite hut skiing on Earth.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article286177286.html

Tree well takes another on Baker.

Lots of snow out there. We're in-bounds tomorrow with the 5 year old shredding the small hill.
rather be fishing
AG
A guy was killed in an avalanche like 2 weeks ago up near Bonners Ferry, ID snowmobiling. He was apparently pretty involved with the ski racing group at Schweitzer.

He was out with an avalanche warning. Kids are not out of high school. Unfortunate situation all around and a reminder that you shouldn't screw around with the conditions.

We had an ice fisher that drowned a few weeks ago as well. This has been a crap year for ice, and you couldn't pay me to get out on it this year. It's really a shame these people didn't follow the warnings.
JustPanda
AG
Every year, I have usually 2-3 friends, old classmates, old co-workers, etc pass away in the side or backcountry. Luckily none so far this year. A lot of people ask me why I don't back country much and that's usually the answer. I've seen over a dozen dead bodies already, I've given 2 people CPR/Defib that were in cardiac arrest that both came back and I don't want to ever think of having to do that to a friend or loved one. I'm already lucky to still be alive with the path I took and things I've somehow managed to escape unscathed (mostly). I don't need to tempt fate even more w a family.

I was friends with all of these people:

https://gazette.com/news/colorado-town-grieves-after-deadly-avalanche-tore-out-the-heart-of-its-community/article_6d25e5b4-67e7-11eb-8c9f-3f6f3322bc55.html

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/family-and-friends-celebrate-the-life-of-lily-connelly-in-vail/

https://www.postindependent.com/news/two-dead-in-avalanche-near-vail-on-muddy-pass/

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/east-vail-avalanche-victim-johnny-kuo-remembered-by-skiers-family/

https://www.postindependent.com/news/celebration-of-life-for-nick-courtens-who-died-in-glenwood-canyon-paddling-accident-set-for-friday-in-vail/

Johnny Kuo may have been the BEST skier I've ever met. His nickname was the ninja and I don't think that even did him justice.

Lily was probs one of the top female skiers and amazing person I've ever met too.

Andy was the founder of Bonfire Brewing and such a sweet guy that would do anything for anyone and really helped turn Eagle into what you guys think of it.

Same with Adam and Nick. Such a nice guys. Both would do anything you asked with a smile and probably somehow manage to do it better than you could've. If you've ever been to the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens in the summer in Vail, Nick was the glue and the head guy behind it.

What I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter how amazing you're when you're off piste it's you vs nature and nature doesn't lose.

Sleep well homies… miss you guys.
JustPanda
AG
I'll post an update here soon.

Cliff notes: some snow last night (WC w 10, Breck w 6, Telly w 4, BC w 2) but should be pretty quiet for most of the state through Monday. Tuesday/Wenesday/Thursday there a chance of snow along the 70 corridor and a rain snow mix forecasted for SS.

The BIG snow will be Wednesday - Saturday in the San Juan's and Sangre de Cristos. 2-3ft expected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.