Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,890 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I was ha going out with my pal JT and he said let's do some laps so we hopped in his G5 and headed up. Stopped by the house and grabbed his sticks, told Jess he'd be home for dinner. Ran into Tom and Giselle (obviously this was a few years ago) and then met Billy Gates for a glass of Pappy in the lodge.
Jock 07
AG
Ha, when I lived in Minot ND over 10 years ago Big Sky was the mountain we'd go to every year. Great mountain and need to make it back sometime. Anyhow one of my buddies/coworkers had a high school friend who's dad was an investment banker or some **** in Minneapolis. We actually went to their house one night when we were there skiing big sky. Pretty wild driving around in there, it's a whole other world. /cool story
rather be fishing
AG
If anyone here has skied it, my money would be on JP.
JustPanda
AG
Never skied it but my wife has several times with her family. I don't fit in at those kinda places. I have long hair tattoos and love 4 letters words.

It's NUKING here and has since 10pm. At least 6-8 inches in glenwood and still failing. Forecasting another 12-18 inches today. Still supposed to be really windy today. Looks like the best day to rip this will be Tuesday morning once it all clears. There's a 0% chance I'm getting into Vail today.
JustPanda
AG
Just got to the car for yoga and we have at least 14-18 inches on the ground here and it's still snowing pretty hard. My guess earlier was WAY off.

Vail reported 11
BC 5
Breck 4
Keystone 7
Telly 6
Purg 9
rather be fishing
AG

My face hurts
docb
AG
rather be fishing said:

My face hurts

I wouldn't go skiing today if someone paid me $10,000.
oldag941
AG
Steamboat reported 12" this morning. 49" in the last 7 days. Another 14+ over the next week.
rather be fishing
AG
It's not bad until you're sitting on the lift. Mountain is pretty desolate for a holiday weekend.
watty
AG
Need a recommendation. My wife wants to just do a one day ski trip with a friend for her 40th. Flying out of Austin. She was thinking something in the Park City area. We don't know any of the Utah places. What would be a good spot for them, something easy to get in and out of, and not something that is super expensive? They're intermediate skiers, just wanting to have a fun day cruising.
JustPanda
AG
AUS to SLC non stop on Delta
SLC to Canyons Ski Resort - 33 miles (like 30-40 minutes away)
Lots of restaurant options between Canyons & PC. Super easy to get around and safe. If she's not comfortable driving, it's an easy shuttle/uber too.

Keeps her on 80 which closes much less frequently than the cottonwoods.
watty
AG
Thanks, that's exactly that type of thing I was hoping to hear.
HUEY04
AG
I just did my first ski trip in 12 yrs and did exactly this. AUS to SLC, stayed on the edge of SLC and drove in to the free parking at Canyons Village each morning ~20mins. Skied at Canyons a full day then over to the free parking at the China Bridge garage a block from main street each evening. Awesome solo trip even though there wasn't any snow, actually one of my most enjoyable vacations ever!
agracer
AG
Suggestions for ski rental in Winter Park?

Me and 3 of the boys are going over President's day weekend to Grandby Ranch and Winter Park. Staying in Grandby.

2 boys are intermediate. Both have been several times last few years with friends and ski a lot of blues and blacks. Both mentioned that last time they wished they'd have gotten better skis because the ones they had chopped on the faster runs and they could not keep an edge (I think?).

Myself and 3rd son haven't skied in 10 years so we planned to take a refresher 1/2 day lesson before going on our own. So beginners.

txaggie02
AG
We always rent from Christy Sports right on the main drag of Winter Park. I've never had any issues with the quality of the skis, but typically get the Performance or Demo skis.
Cibalo
Just got back from Keystone. My wife and I first time at a ski resort (never skied and probably never will). Wanted to kids to see real snow for the first time (6 and 3) and get some ski lessons.

Drive on Friday from Denver was 5.5 hr. Landed at 2pm. Took 2 hr to get luggage and rental. Got there shortly before the condo check in office closed.

Saturday everything was shut down because of wind. 35 mph at the resort and 75 mph up top. Wind chill -17F. Hand to cancel tubing, snow fort, and sleigh ride dinner trip. Entertained kids at the little playground with some slides and snow balls before they got too cold.

Sunday woke up to 7" of powder and temps in the upper teens. Snowed pretty hard most of the morning and wind picked up for a bit. Then things slowed down and visibility improved. Lifts were open and kids got to do their ski lessons. Kids had fun with their lessons so I count that as a win. Then a 2.5hr drive down the mountain to Denver. Flight on Monday got canceled so now killing time until Tuesday. Hotel has an indoor pool so bought some swim suits at Target.
JustPanda
AG
FAT Dumps and COLD temps across the 70 corridor.

24/5/Forecasted next 5/10/Base

Vail - 11 / 31 / 13 / 15 / 60
BC - 10 / 26 / 15 / 17 / 41
Breck - No Report
Keystone - 13 / 24 / 6 / 7 / 41

Bad news: COLD Temps. 14 degrees right now in Vail, dropping all day into tonight w a -7 low and -11 wake up tomorrow.
CavitationAG
AG
Last day at Purg. Been on the mountain since last Thursday. Snow has been good for lifts 1 and 3. We may venture back to lift 8 today to hit Dante's since the novice crew left this morning. Everyone I've talked to has said the runs under 8 still need quite a bit more snow.
JustPanda
AG
Snowing sideways right now in Glenwood. 70 corridor looks to be getting another round today / tonight.

Yesterday
AG
Cibalo said:

Just got back from Keystone. My wife and I first time at a ski resort (never skied and probably never will). Wanted to kids to see real snow for the first time (6 and 3) and get some ski lessons.

Drive on Friday from Denver was 5.5 hr. Landed at 2pm. Took 2 hr to get luggage and rental. Got there shortly before the condo check in office closed.

Saturday everything was shut down because of wind. 35 mph at the resort and 75 mph up top. Wind chill -17F. Hand to cancel tubing, snow fort, and sleigh ride dinner trip. Entertained kids at the little playground with some slides and snow balls before they got too cold.

Sunday woke up to 7" of powder and temps in the upper teens. Snowed pretty hard most of the morning and wind picked up for a bit. Then things slowed down and visibility improved. Lifts were open and kids got to do their ski lessons. Kids had fun with their lessons so I count that as a win. Then a 2.5hr drive down the mountain to Denver. Flight on Monday got canceled so now killing time until Tuesday. Hotel has an indoor pool so bought some swim suits at Target.

Skiing with kids is stressful and not always fun when they're beginning. Not sure if you'll want to do it again but it's worth it. This will be our 4th ski trip with the kids and I'm really looking forward to skiing with them now they can do greens and easy blues on their own.
Cibalo
If we do it again it won't be any time soon. This was a miserable experience from the start. My wife and I don't ski but thought it was important for the kids to try and learn and experience winter sports. Probably just try ice skating at the mall instead.
Currently stuck in Denver with a -26 wind chill.
Yesterday
AG
Cibalo said:

If we do it again it won't be any time soon. This was a miserable experience from the start. My wife and I don't ski but thought it was important for the kids to try and learn and experience winter sports. Probably just try ice skating at the mall instead.

Yea that sounds miserable. Sorry yall had this experience. Our first trip was pretty rough too but not that bad. We were pretty reluctant to try it again but time heals a lot so we re-booked for the next year around October. Very glad we did.
jpb1999
AG
SOunds like more of an issue of weather and not the winter sport part. Next time just drive to angel fire / Taos. Pretty easy day drive, or stay the night in Lubbock, etc. Driving and being able to bring all that you need for young kids is MUCH easier than flying. I would have never flown like that with that young of kids... but that is just me.
JustPanda
AG
The real key here is never booking anything in Summit County for Jan or Feb. Best time for Sumco is March. Otherwise you're risking a really really really cold experience.

Edit to add: This weekend has been one of the nastiest condition weekends I've seen here in 20+ years. We usually get 1-2 of these a year and this one has been COLD and a real dumper. Not the best to ski or travel. Tomorrow is supposed to be freezing too. I was thinking of going out early but -11 doesn't sound to amazing. Probs will defer to Wednesday.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
One hundred percent this. Especially for first timers and kids. I grew up skiing Breck and CB and let me just tell you.. Jan at Breck can be a special kind of cold/windy.
JustPanda
AG
Would anyone be interested in a late season ski trip up here to BC? I can probs snag the house from 3/31 - 4/7. Please lmk asap. I know I've had some people email about a potential ski trip.

House has a downstairs master (2), a bunk room that sleeps 4, a bedroom that sleeps 2 and and two twin beds that can sleep 2-4.

So anywhere from 8-10 is an easy fit.
maroonblood90
AG
Yesterday said:

Cibalo said:

Yea that sounds miserable. Sorry yall had this experience. Our first trip was pretty rough too but not that bad. We were pretty reluctant to try it again but time heals a lot so we re-booked for the next year around October. Very glad we did.
Cibalo - don't give up! We have been skiing with our kids every year since they were the same age as yours. Wife and I learned right along side them. While my concern is more not to get injured so Instick to easier runs. My kids have developed into awesome skiers. It has been a great! Family trip for us every year. Agree you should book somewhere easier to drive to - check out Sipapu, New Mexico. Great little family oriented mountain (and cheap).
OleRock02
AG
Yesterday said:

Skiing with kids is stressful and not always fun when they're beginning. Not sure if you'll want to do it again but it's worth it. This will be our 4th ski trip with the kids and I'm really looking forward to skiing with them now they can do greens and easy blues on their own.
We just got home from an awesome weekend in Santa Fe.

We started our kids at 3 or 4 years old, and made sure to go at least one time per year. My youngest is 8 now, and he's right there with me ability wise. He can blast down ungroomed blues pretty easily. I would follow him for the most part, but occasionally I'd see an opportunity and fly past him. I'd look back, expecting him to be 50-100 yard behind me, and if he wasn't right on my heels, he was already back beside me!

It took a lot of work the first 2-3 years. Having to carry your skis, their skis, and sometimes even carry them, but it's finally paying off. Words don't describe how proud I am. I thanked God out loud for my family several times this weekend.
LRHF
AG
CavitationAG said:

Last day at Purg. Been on the mountain since last Thursday. Snow has been good for lifts 1 and 3. We may venture back to lift 8 today to hit Dante's since the novice crew left this morning. Everyone I've talked to has said the runs under 8 still need quite a bit more snow.

I skied lifts 3 and 5 today- was a blast! 8 still needs more snow
MouthBQ98
AG
Dang. Kids usually learn really fast if you give them a good day of lessons and then don't coddle and protect them and let them push limits and learn. They are light and flexible and don't get hurt easily by a few mishaps.

I skied a black full of moguls at Red River the third day of my first ski trip ever. I was 12. My 10 year old cousin and 9 year old little brother did it with me. We all fell 2-3 times but we learned fast, and made it down ok. We were going down blues like nothing after a couple of days. Kids can learn super fast.

Advantage of being a Gen-X kid: your parents just turned you loose for the day as long as you showed up when and where you were supposed to at the end of the day. Being the oldest, I was nominally babysitting my little brothers and cousin on the mountain, but the rules were understood. Keep up and don't cause me a problem and everyone gets to have as much fun as they want. My parents then actually got to enjoy the day with the other adults. The good old days.
MouthBQ98
AG
6 weeks out…can't wait.
Yesterday
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Dang. Kids usually learn really fast if you give them a good day of lessons and then don't coddle and protect them and let them push limits and learn. They are light and flexible and don't get hurt easily by a few mishaps.

I skied a black full of moguls at Red River the third day of my first ski trip ever. I was 12. My 10 year old cousin and 9 year old little brother did it with me. We all fell 2-3 times but we learned fast, and made it down ok. We were going down blues like nothing after a couple of days. Kids can learn super fast.

Advantage of being a Gen-X kid: your parents just turned you loose for the day as long as you showed up when and where you were supposed to at the end of the day. Being the oldest, I was nominally babysitting my little brothers and cousin on the mountain, but the rules were understood. Keep up and don't cause me a problem and everyone gets to have as much fun as they want. My parents then actually got to enjoy the day with the other adults. The good old days.
Yea 12 doesn't equal 5&6...
lcj93
AG
JustPanda, thanks for the updates this year. I just sent you an email with some items I'm looking at potentially getting.
chickencoupe16
AG
Yesterday said:

Yea 12 doesn't equal 5&6...

Yeah, 5 doesn't equal 12 but he's also not suggesting that a 5 year old will be skiing blacks on their third day. A green could certainly be in reach, though.
JustPanda
AG
My 7 almost 8 year old is the best skier in our family. He's insane. He's been on sticks since he was 18 months and can easily throw a back flip. Every time I see it I think: deductible. He told me the other days his goals in life were to make a lot of money, to drive a fast car, to marry a hot wife, and to ski everyday. He's figured it out.

Our 6 year old rips too. She's a lot more cautious but has a lot of mom in her so it wouldn't shock me if she turns out to be a freestyler at some point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.