Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,857 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dgiaco95 said:

Ski Barn sounds better than the resort. The resort rental shop took forever when we went last week.
Thanks for the heads up
clinte234
AG
We've used Ski Barn the last 2 years. They have been pretty good. The South location has more parking and more space inside the store. The North location is pretty cramped. Obviously if you're able to get there between noon and 3 it is a lot less crowded!
GarlandAg2012
AG
One more question for the knowledgeable minds on the board:

My gf and I bought boots for ourselves for the first time last year. We just ordered a bunch of pairs online and then tried them on at home and returned all but the ones we liked best, so we never really had a professional fitting. We did go in initially to determine what Mondo was recommended for us but that's about it, and it was at a Sun & Ski in Dallas, which I sort of doubt employs the best bootfitters.

Would a bootfitter at a place like Ski Barn be able to help me assess how they fit and potentially modify the liner or shell if needed? I went with Technica Cochise 110s. Or do they only really want to do a custom fitting if you are buying boots from them?

I will also be in Breck at the end of Jan, so would prefer to have it assessed there but I'm not sure where to go or who to trust.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Awesome, thanks!
JustPanda
AG
Sooo boots are kinda a weird animal. If you have the wrong size, there's nothing you can do but buy a new boot. The liner and foot bed can be customized but only if the boots a correct fit.

Two parts of your story make me apprehensive:

First - non custom ski boots shouldn't really be comfortable. A comfortable fit is usually too big. Here is how you can do a quick check…

Put on a ski sock and put on the boot. Ratchet down the toe ratchet to comfort, the top buckle to comfort, and the 2nd and 3rd down tight. Your toes should be pressed up against the toe bed of the boot. Your ankle should have no wiggle room, and the foot should stay flush w the insole when you lift the arch of your foot. When you sit down into your ski position, the toe should peel back off the front of the toe bed.

If when you put on the boot, your toes don't touch the end or they barely touch the end (butterfly toe touch), the boots too big. If you have movement in the arch or ankle, then a custom liner and orthotic can help solve that issue.

There no solution to the problem of your toes don't or barely touch the tip when buckled and standing straight up.

Second: I think I've said this again, but don't ever get anything ski equipment fitted outside of the mountains.

If they are too big, if you have the box and the receipt you may be able to return them. If they tell you no, lmk and I'll see if I can go through the factory depending on the brand.

GarlandAg2012
AG
JustPanda said:

Sooo boots are kinda a weird animal. If you have the wrong size, there's nothing you can do but buy a new boot. The liner and foot bed can be customized but only if the boots a correct fit.

Two parts of your story make me apprehensive:

First - non custom ski boots shouldn't really be comfortable. A comfortable fit is usually too big. Here is how you can do a quick check…

Put on a ski sock and put on the boot. Ratchet down the toe ratchet to comfort, the top buckle to comfort, and the 2nd and 3rd down tight. Your toes should be pressed up against the toe bed of the boot. Your ankle should have no wiggle room, and the foot should stay flush w the insole when you lift the arch of your foot. When you sit down into your ski position, the toe should peel back off the front of the toe bed.

If when you put on the boot, your toes don't touch the end or they barely touch the end (butterfly toe touch), the boots too big. If you have movement in the arch or ankle, then a custom liner and orthotic can help solve that issue.

There no solution to the problem of your toes don't or barely touch the tip when buckled and standing straight up.

Second: I think I've said this again, but don't ever get anything ski equipment fitted outside of the mountains.

If they are too big, if you have the box and the receipt you may be able to return them. If they tell you no, lmk and I'll see if I can go through the factory depending on the brand.

Sorry, comfortable is the wrong term to use. They were actually excruciating for both of us at first. We got solid advice in terms of making sure they were smaller than a regular shoe size. For instance, I typically am a size 12 (basically a 30 in mondo) and they are 28.5s which corresponds to a 10.5. When I first started skiing in them I was pretty apprehensive but as my foot was working against the boot I was able to buckle it more tightly and I pretty quickly felt like I had better control than I ever have in rental boots.

The only thing that is concerning to me is I recall getting cramps in the arch of my foot at times and my toes being cold. Not sure if this is a form/strength issue or a fit issue. I have pretty skinny ankles so getting the ankle ratcheted down to the point of no ankle movement is kinda tough for me. I recall being able to wiggle my toes somewhat but not freely, though I think I had more toe room after I skied a couple days in them - I assume my toes compressed the liner some to create a bit more space. The achiness in the arch of my foot was the biggest issue as I recall.

Similarly, my gf wears a 9.5 but bought 25.5 mondo boots. Maybe not as small as an extremely proficient/aggressive skier, but not too big either I don't think. She had issues her first day but I think changed the way she was buckling them and eventually liked them.
txaggie02
AG
Let's go!

https://www.powder.com/trending-news/colorado-ski-resort-five-feet-new-snow
JustPanda
AG
Toes cold is from over buckling the top ratchet and cutting the circulation off behind the calf
Hoyt Ag
AG
Had a great day at Powderhorn. Low key resort with some fun runs. Cant beat the price, especially for the annual pass.
JustPanda
AG
Colorado/Utah Snow Report 1/20/23
Last 5, Expected 5, Expected 10, Base, % Open
Keystone: 17, 2, 4, 48, 76%
Breck: 20, 3, 5, 50, 76%
WP: 22, 3, 6, 68, 82%
SS: 12, 3, 10, 81, 96%
Vail: 13, 0, 3, 60, 92%
BC: 15, 0, 3, 47, 89%
Telly: 8, 5, 8, 40, 85%
Purg: 3, 4, 5, 39, 90%
WC: 1, 5, 9, 54, 100%

UT:

Alta: 12, 11, 20, 103, 92%
Solitude: 15, 8, 14, 64, 66%
PCC: 17, 6, 11, 70, 80%

I've skied WP, Breck, Key, Vail, BC, Telly and Purg the last week to 10 days. The best coverage is probs Vail, the best trees is probs WP. The worst of the conditions would be Telly and Purg by far. Not terrible but not nearly as good as I expected. I'm hitting BC again today so I'll lyk how it looks compared to Monday. Still some snow stakes and bare spots on every hill, but the groomers are now full. I took out my new set of Black Crows earlier in the week, but I'm back to sliding on rentals again. Still some dicey spots that will bite you, but much better ride than earlier in the month.

Overall 10 day forecast for CO is pretty dry in the central and northern portion of the state w a little bit of activity in the south later this month. Nothing really heavy pushing this way for the next 10. UT and WY have a system that looks to produce around the end of the month.

Vail and BC are above the average snowpack. Keystone and Breck are getting close. The next 10 days of dry weather will push that down some but you can see from the graphs a much better ride than early Jan.

ccag02
AG
How is Snowmass looking? I will be heading back at the end of this month for a few days.

I have enjoyed the updates!

Thanks
MAS444
AG
Great info. Thanks!
JustPanda
AG
12/3/7/49/83%

It's a decent ride. They could use more but the groomers are now nice and the mountain is way more open. Lmk when you're up there and we can catch some laps.

Edit to add: 90% of average snowfall.
LRHF
AG
Skiing telluride today. Here with a neighbor and her special needs daughter for an adaptive sports event. We rode the gondola over the mtn last night to watch a magic show and committed ourselves to a day of groomers since the coverage looked pretty poor in the moonlight.

The upside to a super ez day is we allegedly had a big time on the town last night
maroon10
AG
Looked 10 days out and SS shows high of 40. Would be great for the kids but hoping for one more dump of snow before we arrive.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I bet they get some this week in SS. I work in Hayden and can see the Mt. from my office and it seems to snow almost every day it seems
JustPanda
AG
Yeah - it's supposed to be warm for the next 10-14 days. What fell earlier this week is pretty sun baked already. Definitely not setting up for powder conditions in Colorado for the next 2 weeks. Maybe a couple of 2-4 inch drops but nothing significant.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Agreed. I don't think it will be major dumps but panda is correct.
rao11010
AG
I'll be in Angel Fire for the first time next Wednesday. Weather looks to be a little warm with no snowfall. How would that affect the snow up on the mountain? Thanks!
LRHF
AG
Telluride- 1st time skiing T-ride, what an awesome place! We found some decent lines in the steeper bowls where wind had blown the snow around a bit. Place definitely needs more snow but the conditions were really pretty good.

JustPanda
AG
Just means there won't be any powder. It'll be machine groomers mostly. What fell this week is already sun baked.
Tecolote
AG
rao11010 said:

I'll be in Angel Fire for the first time next Wednesday. Weather looks to be a little warm with no snowfall. How would that affect the snow up on the mountain? Thanks!
Means the ski report for the foreseeable future will read simply: packed

Not packed powder, powder, etc., just packed. Depending on night temperatures, early morning might be icy (not sheet type, but the groomed areas will be hard until softened by sunlight). You'll likely see conditions vary significantly during the day.
rao11010
AG
Tecolote said:

rao11010 said:

Means the ski report for the foreseeable future will read simply: packed

Not packed powder, powder, etc., just packed. Depending on night temperatures, early morning might be icy (not sheet type, but the groomed areas will be hard until softened by sunlight). You'll likely see conditions vary significantly during the day.

I've only been skiing a couple times, that that make it more difficult?
Yesterday
AG
How's Park City 10 day forecast looking? Thanks again Panda!
East Dallas Ag
AG
Call Doug and Lynda's in McKinney and see if they can help you out. You'll find the service and knowledge there is best in DFW. There's a reason a ski shop in small town McKinney has thrived for 4 decades.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Anyone have a favorite base layer brand? I really could use another set. Ive only bought smart wool and minus 33 for thr last decade or so. I just hate spending $75+ per piece. Any of the merino brands on Amazon any good?
Pahdz
It in your price point but been very pleased with my Helly Hansen stuff
JustPanda
AG
Socks Addict runs good sales on smart wool base layers. I use them and love them. Hate to be that person but yeah they're worth it.
JustPanda
AG
The above poster nailed it. The warming will bake the top layer and that along w people running it, will result in it melting off. When the sun sets, that ice layer freezes over anywhere they don't groom (depending on the over night low, that groomed portion can ice over). When the sun rises, what it hits will start to melt. Thus, what gets sun early is what you want to hit in the morning because it will release first, then follow the sun across the mountain as the day warms (give it like an hour of sun before you rip across). What started off in the sun will melt and eventually get soft (we call it mashed potatoes when it gets really warm [spring skiing]). The best time to hit the run is between the melt and when it starts to roll over and get too soft. As the sun moves across the mountain, the potatoes will get shaded first and start to refreeze. For the most part after 2pm, anything in the shade will be starting to freeze back so be careful.

Hope that kinda makes sense. I've been drinking.
Pahdz
I can tell you one thing that really sucks is rock hard frozen corduroy.
JustPanda
AG
35% off Minus33 w this code:

3P523-GNKUWP

If you guys want a code for Minus33 etc please lmk. Don't try to use the above code as it's a one time only use.
ChipFTAC01
AG
JustPanda said:

35% off Minus33 w this code:

3P523-GNKUWP

If you guys want a code for Minus33 etc please lmk. Don't try to use the above code as it's a one time only use.

Much obliged
Pahdz
Do they sell bibs?
Legal Custodian
AG
rao11010 said:

This coming Wednesday? Or Jan31st? I'll be there on the 31st, I'll be sure to wear some Aggie gear on the mountain to spot
JustPanda
AG
Park City

17/6/7/70/80%

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.