Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

209,883 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh man - usually once it starts to go, it goes but it depends on where and to what degree it's popped. You may have better luck cutting it and melting the top sheet back (that's what we do). The other option is using epoxy and d clamps to really get it snug. That's what we do when boards or skis start to delam at the toes. If it's near the sidewall, we cut it back and melt it.

Do you have a picture?
rather be fishing
AG

I put some more epoxy on it and trying again. I'm going to leave a clamp on it overnight and see how it holds. It's more of a cut to the top sheet that has popped up as opposed to actual delam.
JustPanda
AG
Make sure you keep the sidewalls clean. If it was me, id probs cut that chip and melt it. The 10 in he's in front of my waists have all sorts of cuts and top sheet f ups. Happens when you cross the edge over the other ski or go Dorothy w your heels or when you do grabs and cross over.

Those edges look like the could use some TLC. Might not be a bad idea to get an edge, wax, and base grind. Getting a new pattern and wax on some fresh edges on this kinda crap can be a nice easy upgrade. This hard pack is hell on edges. I edge and wax my skis weekly. I base grind probs 2-3 times a year or less. Mostly when they need it. Just got them back from all of gravel in the groomers running little pulls down from toe to heel.
rather be fishing
AG
Yeah, I've got it cleaned up. We'll see how it goes. My biggest concern is that I'm going to end up cutting the crap out of my hand on it when it's sticking up.
JustPanda
AG
What we do is cut it w a razor blade or exacto knife and then use a propane torch turned super low (like we're melting ptex) to heat the area and when the edge starts to melt, smoothing it out. You'll have no top sheet in a spot but it'll help stop the creep up to the toe. Most epoxy's hold but eventually delam once moisture gets back in there.

If it's only for aesthetics or you're having a hard time because the pull wants to pull away from the expoxy, you can cut the area that's pulled with a razor blade, and then melt the edge where it's still attached and epoxy the chip back into place. The area that usually makes it hard is where the top sheets folded back. So, cutting and then mosiacing the chip back usually works best because you can get the chip flush.
rather be fishing
AG
I've been having to wax a lot more frequently than I expected. Also thinking about taking them in to get tuned after all the gravel they've seen. Might pop in and see what the turn around would be. Might wait a week and get through the New Year crowds though.
JustPanda
AG
Yup. It's been a beast trying to factor what wax to use this season w the changing conditions. Hard pack groomers and refreeze chop literally pulls wax off faster than you can apply it. We've been waxing before almost every trip up this season. Mostly a blend of purple w a touch of blue and graphite and on the colder days going blue w a touch of purple and graphite for the days it's been 40+ we've gone yellow w purple and a touch of graphite
HUEY04
AG
I'm heading out to Salt Lake City on Sunday, planning to ski Park City Mon-Wed but doesn't look like they've had much snow. I haven't skied in years and already have a lesson Mon morning at Canyons Village but after that would be open to alternate locations if they will have better conditions. Anybody been up there recently to see how things are looking?
JustPanda
AG
Alta. That area should be getting about 12-16 inches over the next 10 days. Nothing this next week but forecasted to get hit later.
JustPanda
AG
Just left Breck and heading back to Vail. Breck is an absolutely **** show right now. 52% open and brutal snow and brutal numbers of people. Copper's snow looks equally as sunbaked and crusted but probs has 1/2 the skiers. If you're in Sumco, you may want to drive the pass and ski Vail. It's ALOT ALOT ALOT better. It's crowded but no where near Breck and much more snow and much more terrain. When I say Brecks a cluster ****, that's putting it nicely. Hella feel for their ski patrol this weekend..
maroonblood90
AG
Purgatory not great. Lots of ice and really rough snow.
TshirtVulture
Yeah, WC got the double negative going. Most crowded I've experienced there AnD worst snow I've seen there……..will be back tamale
1Aggie99
AG
Anyone hit Keystone recently? In Breck and looking for options near by with epic pass. Keystone and Vail are probably best options.
Jock 07
AG
1Aggie99 said:

Anyone hit Keystone recently? In Breck and looking for options near by with epic pass. Keystone and Vail are probably best options.

Haven't been in a few weeks but have heard keystone is not great. I'd definitely choose vail. I'm headed up to keystone on Tuesday but will be sticking mostly to the bunny hill working with my son on getting his turns coordinated so we can move on to steeper stuff soon.
1Aggie99
AG
Thanks. We are hitting breck Sunday and then making a call for rest of the week.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just got back. They were running snow machines everywhere and it was surprisingly good on the mountain. Kids did a lesson on the Mountain Billage side but we all skied and I snowboarded on the canyons side.
txam92
AG
JustPanda said:

Vail breaths in an interesting way. The lifts have back up the same way for years. I rec going up 8 to 2 then riding 2 back to seven or running 2 a couple of times (it backs up starting around 10:30-11. Then running over the back of 2 to 7 and then 7 to the back bowls.

Everything clears out around lunch and then 14,3, and 2 get busy again until close. 26 is a great chair for intermediates that never backs up.

If you're running 8 to 2 to 14 or 1 to 14 over to 10/11 then go up 1 and get on 14 ASAP. Northwoods will back up but it's not until later in the day.

I don't think I've taken gondola 1 in years. Gondola 1, chair 14/3 interchange and chair 2 backup the worst so ripping those early and at lunch is your best bet to avoid lift lines at vail.

I'm happy to show people around that are in town if you ever want to hit up the hill! I can also get you some steezy free parking that's like 50 yards from gondola 19 as long as it's not peak season (now until new years, MLK, or Presidents' Day).

If you want a chair that's all greens, go up gondola 1, ride 14 to the top, and then take 14 over to 16 like you're going to two elk. Sourdough is all beginner runs but slaps. Plus, two elk is awesome.

I'm way over in Golden Peak but planned to hit Game Creek Bowl tomorrow. Might take the InTown to Lionshead to use some of your suggestions.
JustPanda
AG
Keystone is really bad and Breck is equally as bad but more crowded. I wouldn't even bother skiing Breck. I'd be at Vail each day.

I was at Breck 2 days this week and today. It's really really crowded and a really thin base with just over half the mountain open. Keystone is even worse. Vail is light years better. Not saying it's good but it's way way better.
Waterski02
AG
If into groomers. 6,11,3. Gets you there. Better than the bus. Unless you're a late sleeper no issues.
Could also mid 6, 10, 14 past 21 to (maybe a BlueSky side trip) 36 to 17. Stay all groomed that way as well. From top 7 as long as you are the right on Bear tree Windisch Wqy for the win on the way home.
Once the crowds show 26 or 10.

JustPanda
AG
To get over the back from Golden Peak, I usually do 6 to 11, 11 to 14 and then over the back to 21 which puts you at the BS 21/37 exchange.
txam92
AG
Thanks to both of you for the tips!
jpb1999
AG
Any updates on snow forecast? My free sights still aren't showing much n forecast.
bmac_aggie18
AG
I'll be at Winter Park Jan 19th & 20th. At this point, should I start to worry?
JustPanda
AG
For where?
JustPanda
AG
I wouldn't worry but I'd be realistic and recognize the conditions are likely to be less than ideal. 2 inches expected through 10 on a 37 inch base. So, no real snow forecasted but a deeper base than most sans Steamboat. The conditions there are light years better than Summit. I wouldn't be spending money to ski Sumco. It's a real cluster****.
jpb1999
AG
Mainly wolf creek. Going mid/late February, so a ways away. Should be good by then, right?
JustPanda
AG
Wouldn't be worried at all. They have a 30+ inch base and 18 inches expected over the next 10 days. I wouldn't even start to worry. All the need is a another nice roller or 2 and you're gravy.
Drip99
AG
Yes, you will be fine. I follow Chris Tomer (https://christomer.com) and Seth's weather report on Facebook for weather/snow info.
TXAG 05
AG
Are there any gloves you recommend? Or are they all kind of the same? Keep in mind I'm someone that has only seen snow twice in my life and the last time was 20 years ago
JustPanda
AG
1. Hestra
2. Swany

Mittens are warmer than gloves. Snowmobile crab claws are a nice in between.
txam92
AG
I second Swanys mittens. They're great. You can unzip and have "finger" gloves to access things such as pockets or phones. You can also slip in a hand warmer in the colder days
txam92
AG
Thanks again Panda and Waterski. Hit Game Creek in the morning and then switched to Avanti after lunch when I saw huge lines at Game Creek at 11:30ish.
LRHF
AG
50F in Durango today but cold weather and snow coming in a week!
beerag04
AG
LRHF said:

50F in Durango today but cold weather and snow coming in a week!
Family and I will be there on Monday. Hope we get a little snow sooner.
JustPanda
AG
It'll be next Sunday/Monday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.