Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

212,765 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by RangerRick9211
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't gotten mine into MTB, yet, but I can't wait for it. We've got some good trails down here and Shasta has some lift serviced trails.

We'll likely ski in the morning and then golf in the afternoon.
wessimo
AG
Nice day at Lake Louise, several inches of snow overnight made for great conditions today.
Jock 07
AG
Do they still do the free tune with an epic pass?
JustPanda
AG
Epic Mountain Gear in CO Springs. You get one free wax and 50% off tune.
JustPanda
AG
I'll be in Vail all day today and BC tomorrow and Thursday if anyone would like to meet up for a couple laps.

Or needs parking*
Yesterday
AG
I'll be in BC but with the kids at McCoy Park. If you venture over that way let me know
JustPanda
AG
Snow hitting the high country starting tonight and continuing through Wednesday for the 70 corridor north and Wednesday to Sunday in the San Juan's and Sangres. Tomorrow might be a little dicey getting around. Might want to prepare for nice POW mornings tomorrow and Wednesday but yeah travel may be difficult Wednesday depending on how things hit.
JustPanda
AG
Im going up to BG to see my brother after work.
JustPanda
AG
Nvm I'm at at up BG right now. About to run some 16 sawbucks and cabin fevers. Might move over to a quick couple arrowhead runs to (cresta little brave golden bear)

RGRAg1/75
AG
We pick up rentals in BC from Charter Thrs and hope to be on the hill shortly after. First timers at BC, so would be good to get a lap with you. Sent my cell # in a PM.
toolshed
AG
We got about 4" at Crested Butte overnight. More forecast tonight through Thursday. Hopefully we get some good runs in tomorrow around the thunder storms predicted. And hopefully Thursday doesn't affect our flights out of Gunnison.
JustPanda
AG
If anyone wants to run some BG laps after lunch, I'll be out.
wessimo
AG
Sunshine Village today. Haven't waited to get on a lift yet.
JustPanda
AG

Jock 07
AG
Winter storm warning issued, 8-15 inches down here in the springs We'd night into Thursday while it hit 60 here today.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Departing C Springs area for Beaver Creek tomorrow afternoon/early evening. Best to take I25 back up to Denver then I70 out, or hwy 24 west out to Buena Vista then north to BC? I know that's the longer route and some of the passes may get hairy, but we also know how I70 can get going west out of Denver.
Donnys Element
JustPanda said:

I'll be in Vail all day today and BC tomorrow and Thursday if anyone would like to meet up for a couple laps.

Or needs parking*

We are here at BC, but I don't know if your idea of fun is skiing with 9 kids. Let me know if you want to convince a 16 year old niece that just because you can get down a run by "pizzaing " doesn't mean you should.
Jock 07
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Departing C Springs area for Beaver Creek tomorrow afternoon/early evening. Best to take I25 back up to Denver then I70 out, or hwy 24 west out to Buena Vista then north to BC? I know that's the longer route and some of the passes may get hairy, but we also know how I70 can get going west out of Denver.

Ive never gone all the way out to buena vista, if you're going the back way I'd recommend to cut north on 9 at Hartsel go over Hoosier pass and through Breck. Really kind of depends on where in the springs you are. I'm on the NE side and really the only resort that it makes sense for me to go the back way is to Breck. I'd say check the conditions when you're leaving. As long as it's not a complete **** show on I-70 that's probably still your best bet unless there's a ton of traffic then the back way makes sense. Although if you're on the west side near manitou or something then yea it might make a lot of sense to go that way.
JustPanda
AG
That's supposed to be the heaviest snow fall period for the storm. I'd look at leaving earlier. You don't want to be on the road as a non local at sundown or at dark if this things ripping and you're a novice in snow trying to navigate 70 or even worse Hoosier pass. I'd highly suggest trying to leave before sunset and finish the drive while the suns still up. Once the sun sets, it turns up on a different level.

Not trying to fear monger here, but it's supposed to be a total **** show from the Continental Divide east to 25. They're forecasting heavier snow there than in most of the high country. Monument Hill expected to push 24 inches +.

Needless to say, traction laws are already in effect for Vail Pass and Eisenhower.

Here the projected snowfall at 6pm. You REALLY don't want to be driving in the high country through what's pink on this map. I live here, I grew up here, I have an amazing jeep that's very well balanced and studded snow tires, and with all of that said, the thought of driving 100+ miles in ALL pink is not a plan I'd pursue or push in anyone especially people that aren't from here. I HIGHLY recommend getting into the foothills early because when this things bites and starts to turn, it's going to be a total cluster ****.

Edit to add: the snow totals only ramp up significantly after 6pm for the foothills and front range. Right now it looks like 3pm is about the time the faucet is going to start ripping East of the divide. I'd highly highly highly highly (like 100x more times) being on the road and through Vail pass by that time. It's gonna be wet and heavy snow which usually means an abundance of accidents especially since the roads are already wet with rain. When it pushes through, it's gonna be a ****ing icy ***** and given that it's spring break, the likelihood of a freeway closure is even higher than normal and right now in my personal opinion I don't see 70 being open for too long once this hits.

Here's the 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, and 5pm projected snowfalls. As you'll see, once 3pm hits 70 etc are basically covered until the storm passes.

Edit to also add:

If 70 is closed and you're not accustomed to driving in the snow. The last 2 places I'd want to be at night in a ripper are over Hoosier Pass or on 24/6 between Leadville and Vail. Those are 2 lane roads w no lights, lots of turns, no cell reception, and far far far worse plowing than 70. AND the drop off the side isn't gradual…If 70s closed, that's the universe telling you to hang out. Hoosier and 24 make me nervous in snowstorms and I've driven 6/24 I can't count how many thousands of times.

Oh yeah and since you're driving to BC that also means you'll have Dowd Junction between Vail and Avon. It's not a pass, it's a little mile long junction, but it gets gnarly. Another spot you'd much prefer to be through before sundown.

Just for reference: I just left GWS to head to Vail and I'm not assuming I'll be able to get home tonight. Packed an overnight bag.

United is also already notifying customers flying out of EGE that flights will be significantly delayed if not cancelled tonight. My brother already got the notification to rebook and decided why not since it'll be a powder day tomorrow morning. Just an example of what they're expecting and they usually have pretty great weather intel.

Cliff notes: leave ASAP.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Good stuff. Thx for the detail.
Jock 07
AG
Yea definitely take JP's suggestions over mine. I hadn't done an in depth look at the forecast, didn't realize it was coming in that early. Also rain before snow is always dicey.
MattyAg
AG
Panda, we are in CB currently. Supposed to head back to TX Friday morning. Any recommendations or advice on route home?
JustPanda
AG
It's a beautiful sunny day out right now.
Yesterday
AG
JustPanda said:

It's a beautiful sunny day out right now.

Just did Bachelors Gulch a few times and Larksburg. Some fresh stuff mixed with ice every now and then.
oldag941
AG
For 2" overnight here in SS. Just started snowing again. Saying maybe 6-8. Real concern is getting from SS to Denver to Colorado Springs. Friday. 2' supposed to be around monument. It'll make slow travel, at best.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
https://localfreshies.com/spring-skiing-tips/

Cool article explaining why Spring skiing is so much fun.

Main thing is to make sure you have fresh wax.
JustPanda
AG
Nuking here now
dave99ag
AG
Was in Park City this week with decent conditions. Stopped in Denver this morning and glad to be out before it got crazy. Tad warmer in Texas this afternoon.

Y'all stay safe out there!
JFABNRGR
AG
oldag941 said:

For 2" overnight here in SS. Just started snowing again. Saying maybe 6-8. Real concern is getting from SS to Denver to Colorado Springs. Friday. 2' supposed to be around monument. It'll make slow travel, at best.

Yeah near white out today with the fog. Snow was awesome for spring break.

txam92
AG
JFABNRGR said:

oldag941 said:

Yeah near white out today with the fog. Snow was awesome for spring break.

It was tough sledding after lunch. Good news, Snow! and a lot of it. Bad news it was really tough to see and make out terrain. Should make it nice tomorrow.
Jock 07
AG
Been watching pikes peak disappear into the clouds from the office all afternoon. Kids school and daycare already closed tomorrow.
JustPanda
AG
Best thing about this storm: front range won't be able to make it up to the hill tomorrow. That's a free POW day during spring break. Enjoy it! It's a rarity.
JustPanda
AG
Vai lifts closed today at 2:30 due to low visibility. That means even more freshies tomorrow morning.

Universe delivering a straight flush for the high country.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Had a great three days skiing in Santa Fe. It clicked for my son on Sunday and we did laps all day on Monday. It clicked for my daughter on Monday and we got some daddy/daughter runs together from the top. My wife made a breakthrough and now just needs some confidence. I got a couple of good runs by myself but I'm going back up with a neighbor and his daughter tomorrow for one more day tomorrow.

Demo'd a pair of meier Wranglers this week and I've been happy with them although I've barely pushed them.
MAS444
AG
Great day in Telly today after a couple of crusty days. Snowed several inches last night and all day today…and still coming…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.