*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

179,316 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by double aught
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, our connection definitely lagged, restarted, then lagged again when we tried to start it right at 8 pm
AliasMan02
AG
Clancy Brown with the best cameo. Also love Hera still being Spectre Mom to the crew.

E-Wings! That's a deep cut.

I'm satisfied with Sabine having only minimal Force sensitivity. I still think her being trained as a Padawan is a stretch given our long history with the character and it never coming up, but I'll get over it.

I feel like Morgan being a pseudo-Nightsister is also a bit of a retcon, but okay.

Filoni's fingerprints all over this, which is great. Feels like Rebels!

Slow to start but good lightsaber fights. Ready to get this thing moving after lots of establishment that needed to be done.
Mathguy64
AG
Ours croaked right when she was cutting the hole in the ground/ceiling of the map room. When we restarted it was back when they were "rescuing" the Nightsister.
AliasMan02
AG
Oh, and man. Can Stevenson command on screen or what? Pour one out.

THIRTEEN!
Urban Ag
AG
Visually it was very well done.

It's too wonky for non Star Wars uber nerds to know what is being referenced for the most part.

The acting and dialogue ranged from mediocre, to flat, to really bad.

Rosario Dawson remains one of the hottest women in Hollywood.

Ray was great. Always a fan. But Ray was the white guy bad guy. And the rest of the white guys were crusty old white guys of on screen impotence. Predictable.

All of the focus, fighting, and importance was completely thrust upon the female cast. Another Kathleen Kennedy effort.

Not sorry. This will fail. Disney has lost the young male audience and Star Wars cannot survive without it. Asked my teenage sons if they were going to watch it this week and they lol'd, didn't even know it existed.

Disney is completely incapable of learning at this point. This series will be a failure. Newsflash, young ladies are not in to this either.

Flame away. I tried.
PatAg
AG
What's great about how Filoni wrote and directed these first 2 episodes, is you dont need ANY of the knowledge discussed in this thread to follow along or make inferences from what you see.

Can talk about that more if anyone wants, but I kinda like not knowing every single detail or feeling like im always comparing it to my pre-existing knowledge.
Couple examples off the top of my head,
just having Sabine's armor be in a duffel bug on the bottom shelf behind other boxes. So people who are brand new now know she is Mandalorian but for some reason hasnt worn the armor in a while.
Talking about Dathomir and the Night Sisters, and then the sith(?) apprentice looks at her different and says "she's a witch?' and after that treats her differently.

So far, I think all of the baddies are light years above anything we saw in Boba, ObiWan(or really mandalorian if im being honest)

Clearly there are plenty of little easter eggs for people that want them, based on the posts im seeing, but I never did anymore than watch that list of 'important' animted episodes once like 4-5 years ago or so (just ballparking could have been longer or shorter lol). I dont fully remember much of it, just bits and pieces.

Great first 2 episodes, looking forward to where it goes from here.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
First of all, how cool is that everyone can finally fully discuss an episode of a Star Wars series in prime time, immediately after it airs?

As for the show itself, so far I'd put it above all three seasons of The Mandalorian, way above The Book of Boba Fett, but still a significant notch under Andor. I like Filoni, and he obviously knows Star Wars better than anyone, but he's still not quite a great, or even consistently good filmmaker just yet. Mainly, he needs to learn to write/direct with a bit more urgency and a bit less stoicism. Yes, the pacing was slow at first (which I honestly didn't mind), but IMO, more than that it's his scene work that's a pitch slower than it should be. There's just way too much silence between awkward, clunky lines of dialogue, gazing, contemplation, etc. I almost wish Filoni and JJ Abrams could somehow meld into one person; merge Filoni's knowledge, story sense, and steady hand with Abrams' energy, pacing, and cinematography/camera movement. Then we'd really have something.

Overall, though, I definitely dug it. In addition to the great, Raiders-esque Ahsoka intro, speaking of Abrams, I got distinct Star Trek '09 vibes from Sabine's fantastic intro. It felt very much akin to Kirk's Beastie Boys intro as a kid, which I've always loved. I really enjoyed the the whole setup, and for the most part everything else was engaging/entertaining too. Could it have been better? Sure. But right now it at least earned a sigh of relief that it won't be venturing into clunky, meandering, kid-aimed Mando/BOBF territory.
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

Visually it was very well done.

It's too wonky for non Star Wars uber nerds to know what is being referenced for the most part.

The acting and dialogue ranged from mediocre, to flat, to really bad.

Rosario Dawson remains one of the hottest women in Hollywood.

Ray was great. Always a fan. But Ray was the white guy bad guy. And the rest of the white guys were crusty old white guys of on screen impotence. Predictable.

All of the focus, fighting, and importance was completely thrust upon the female cast. Another Kathleen Kennedy effort.

Neither of these things once crossed my mind. I swear, how some of you choose to see the world/watch your entertainment will never not be the saddest, weirdest thing to me. On the bright side, at least you got to whine about it on the internet again.

Seriously, though, why is the latter bad? Why is it so wrong that *one* of the six seasons of Star Wars television so far is devoted more to females than males? As a brand, why would you not want to attempt to diversify your audience? Granted, whether they succeed or not is another story, but being endlessly, vocally annoyed at them for trying is so odd.

Not sorry. This will fail. Disney has lost the young male audience and Star Wars cannot survive without it. Asked my teenage sons if they were going to watch it this week and they lol'd, didn't even know it existed.

Great! Then your sons can watch any of the other dozens of Star Wars shows and movies aimed at teenage boys. Good thing there's a ridiculous bounty to choose from, starting in 1977 all the way up to earlier this year.

Disney is completely incapable of learning at this point. This series will be a failure. Newsflash, young ladies are not in to this either.

Learning what, exactly? That for some insane reason grown ass men are going to throw fits on the internet about the fact that Star Wars is trying to branch out and appeal to more demographics than just boys?

Flame away. I tried.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

What's great about how Filoni wrote and directed these first 2 episodes, is you dont need ANY of the knowledge discussed in this thread to follow along or make inferences from what you see.

Can talk about that more if anyone wants, but I kinda like not knowing every single detail or feeling like im always comparing it to my pre-existing knowledge.
Couple examples off the top of my head,
just having Sabine's armor be in a duffel bug on the bottom shelf behind other boxes. So people who are brand new now know she is Mandalorian but for some reason hasnt worn the armor in a while.
Talking about Dathomir and the Night Sisters, and then the sith(?) apprentice looks at her different and says "she's a witch?' and after that treats her differently.

So far, I think all of the baddies are light years above anything we saw in Boba, ObiWan(or really mandalorian if im being honest)

Clearly there are plenty of little easter eggs for people that want them, based on the posts im seeing, but I never did anymore than watch that list of 'important' animted episodes once like 4-5 years ago or so (just ballparking could have been longer or shorter lol). I dont fully remember much of it, just bits and pieces.

Great first 2 episodes, looking forward to where it goes from here.

This. I tried to watch it from the point of view of someone who knew absolutely nothing about Rebels (which wasn't a stretch), and I was surprised at how easy it was to follow. There are first installments of franchises that have far more confusing backstories than this.

- A brave rebel disappeared, sacrificing himself in the process, and saved an entire city/territory. His friends, however, were left scattered and heartbroken.

- The rebel took the villain with him. No one knows where either is.

- Except! Here's a map of how to find them both. Which the bad guys want too.

- Who will get to them first?
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Btw, I just rewatched both trailers for the series and I would say 90% of what's shown in them, if not more, was from these first two episodes. There were two quick shots of Thrawn, maybe four or five quick action shots, and a glimpse of a scene where Sabine's addressing holograms representing the New Republic, from upcoming episodes.

That was it.

In other words, like Porkchop mentioned earlier, we could be in for quite a few surprises...
jeffk
AG
Man, I almost made a "in before someone complains about this show having too many girls!" post last night but held off.

Imagine being so blind to your prejudices that you give yourself a pat on the back "I tried!" as you decide you don't like a show because of those specific hangups.
TCTTS
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Although you counted it, you didn't me tion that he was the voice for Savage Opress.
Good callback, I totally forgot that part. That guy is all kinds of awesome.

ALthough Savage Opress might not be the dumbest of all dumb STar Wars names

It wasn't an organic callback. I had pulled up his wki because I couldn't remember the Lothal Gov's name and saw his time as Opress. And agree on the dumb name.
Saxsoon
AG
I saw a better explanation of the map and I think I mostly got it earlier but wanted to rewrite my thoughts

Purgils as some of us know are a species of spacefaring whales that could hyperspace jump. They were the basis of the jump drives of the Star Wars universe and developed the hyperspace lanes

The map you could see the nightsister interpretation of the purgils. Morgan's ancestors mapped the likely hyperspace lanes that takes the purgils back to their home galaxy. Since Ezra and Thrawn were last seen with them when they got jumped away, it makes more sense to Search out this map that has basically the equivalent of mapping out how to get to their home where those two are likely stranded
bluefire579
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Couple of more deep cuts / references

The ship they're building is the Eye of Sion

Darth Sion was one of many Sith Lords in KOTOR II, seen here looking gross. He is already dead in the game but rises from the dead through the power of the Dark Side or something like that. That game was kind of all over the place.

There have been a lot of "Eye of" things in Star Wars lately, in the Vader comics and especially in the High Republic stuff with the Nihl.
He was kept alive by his hatred. Pretty much the same way Maul was still alive in TCW
Sq1dvm
AG
I think Sabine survived where Qui-gon died because she had an old school, bacta tank using, robot hand attaching med droid instead of the crap they have on Naboo that gives up when people "lose the will to live."
WHOOPThatTrick
AG
My 8 year old son, and my 5 year old daughter, who both loved Mandalorian, and Boba Fett (and all of the other major Star Wars films), both saw the previews for Ahsoka, and said "What? Is this like a girl Star Wars?" (That came from my daughter). Neither were interested. We gave it a try last night though and within 10 minutes both were fighting over the Nintendo Switch. I took that away and they watched for about 5 more minutes, and then asked if they could go to bed...first time in history!

No Jon Favreau = SUCKS as far as Star Wars extensions. That was absolutely horrible. Try starting the original Star Wars with an almost all female cast, and see how far that goes. In addition, the look and feel of it was way more Star Trek, than Star Wars. To the people that are saying they missed the mark on their target audience, they are spot on.

So, thanks Disney for making an adult and adolescent sleep aid.
jeffk
AG
I don't think 5 and 8 year olds are the target audience here.
Madmarttigan
AG
They like Mando because it is incredibly dumb fun. It had some horrific writing and filler last season but kids don't notice that.

This felt more adult like Andor and it was way better.
Formerly tv1113
jeffk
AG
Sabine became a lothcat lady.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Btw, I just rewatched both trailers for the series and I would say 90% of what's shown in them, if not more, was from these first two episodes. There were two quick shots of Thrawn, maybe four or five quick action shots, and a glimpse of a scene where Sabine's addressing holograms representing the New Republic, from upcoming episodes.

That was it.

In other words, like Porkchop mentioned earlier, we could be in for quite a few surprises...

I'm personally really looking forward to seeing the forest lightsaber fight that we saw in the trailers. Iirc Filoni kept trailers for Rebels pretty much contained to the first few episodes. If there was a mid season break you'd get a trailer for the back half of the episodes that was a mix of previous content and a little new.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

Sabine became a lothcat lady.
A really hot lothcat lady though
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sq1dvm said:

I think Sabine survived where Qui-gon died because she had an old school, bacta tank using, robot hand attaching med droid instead of the crap they have on Naboo that gives up when people "lose the will to live."

Well, not getting stabbed in the middle of the chest probably helped.
TCTTS
AG
I seriously do not get how some of you aren't embarrassed, or at least aren't more self aware, as to how ridiculous you sound, as grown ass men, when you throw tantrums on the internet in the most cliched way imaginable about not everything in Star Wars catering to your specific gender, or the gender/ages of your specific children. It's both hilarious, and flat out sad, that this is what sets you off. When most normal people either don't give a sh*t, because who cares if Lucasfilm devotes, like, ten percent of their output to trying to appeal to girls - or - because we're, for the most part, well-adjusted, empathetic human beings who can relate to the plights of characters despite us having d*cks when they don't.

What a ridiculously fragile way to live.
wangus12
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Sq1dvm said:

Well, not getting stabbed in the middle of the chest probably helped.
At the same time, they probably needed to flash clone a new liver for her.
jeffk
AG
Shocked and outraged that this series named after a female SW character contains females.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I enjoyed it. The person I watched it with (casual star wars fan, never seen Rebels) was bored.

The biggest issue is that it feels like the characters aren't actually in the same room when they are talking to each other in scenes. And it seems like there is a delay between each line where each character has to show you first what they are feeling before responding. It makes the exposition scenes feel more drawn out than they need to be, imo. It's the pilot episodes though, so maybe this improves as the show continues.

It feels like a natural continuation of Rebels, and I will continue watching. Dawson is great at everything in the show.
jeffk
AG
Glad to see David Tennant return as Huyang.
Madmarttigan
AG
Meanwhile 91% audience score on RT and 8.6/8.7 on IMDb for the first 2 episodes which is really good.

Guess most people aren't in the same demographic as a 5 year old.
Formerly tv1113
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Shocked and outraged that this series named after a female SW character contains females.
The only remaining characters from a team of 5, which included a strong male adult who sacrificed himself to save the team, a strong male teen who saved his planet by capturing the (wait for it) male antagonist and a male alien comic relief/muscle who is currently off world.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Maybe I just missed this, but can someone explain how nobody knows where Thrawn is unless they have the star map, except for the transport ship delivering ship engines for him? Or were they going somewhere else?
Madmarttigan
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Maybe I just missed this, but can someone explain how nobody knows where Thrawn is unless they have the star map, except for the transport ship delivering ship engines for him? Or were they going somewhere else?

This is my biggest complaint is the lack of an explanation for most of the Nightsisters stuff and map stuff. Hoping it's elaborated on some.
Formerly tv1113
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I can explain some of the nightsister stuff to you, I'm assuming you never watched Rebels or CW? Or do you just mean the show not giving them enough background yet?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.