*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,175 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have to think Thrawn was bored and his love of art led to leading Storm Trooper painting classes to decorate their own armor. Kinda like one of those paint and drink wine places all the suburban moms go to
Saxsoon
AG
love the hermit crab species
jabberwalkie09
AG
One has to wonder if since got "galaxy far, far away" in canon if we will get Enoch to say "I am that guy" since Wes Chatham also played Amos in The Expanse.
Sq1dvm
AG
My eldest is obsessed with Thrawn. Read all of Zahn's old and new books, I thought he'd flip out tonight, but he thought live action Thrawn was meh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be honest, the makeup for him does look a bit silly. Kinda wish they found a way to make it look more natural and intimidating.
bobinator
AG
Maybe Thrawn believes taking away the individuality of the storm troopers was a mistake so he is letting these guys decorate their armor however they see fit.

Overall I liked the episode. Wish we'd have gotten more about what Thrawn's been up to.
Madmarttigan
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be honest, the makeup for him does look a bit silly. Kinda wish they found a way to make it look more natural and intimidating.

Makeup didn't bother me, the hair looked silly to me, and that thrawn has been eating a few too many cheeseburgers.
LB12Diamond
AG
Yes, needed a more athletic version.
bobinator
AG
I take it we're to assume that the night sisters have been telling Thrawn what's going on?
The Collective
AG
Prefer animated Thrawn
jabberwalkie09
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Makeup didn't bother me, the hair looked silly to me, and that thrawn has been eating a few too many cheeseburgers.

Athleticism aside, I think other than Thrawn's even tone is perhaps his eyes are the more intimidating. His eyes have a piercing almost menacing look to them that I think comes across stronger in live action than it did in animation. The skin town grew on me as the episode progressed.
bobinator
AG
My only issue with Thrawn was I could barely understand him and we even have a decent sound setup.
Mathguy64
AG
So Thrawn got a little bit of a belly. And Ezra didn't do it for me. That's the first time I think they miscast a character. He just didn't look right. Maybe if he loses the beard it will help.
bobinator
AG
Ezra was always going to be hard because of the age jump. He's also presumably been practically living alone for however long so it would almost be weird if he did seem like the same guy.
Mathguy64
AG
Agreed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I actually liked Ezra. Didn't like him on the hologram but liked him with the beard.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Madmarttigan
AG
Don't think I had an issue but I did watch with headphones, seemed to be exactly the same way he talked in rebels
hunter2012
AG
I liked it, Thrawn's makeup got better as the episode progressed, but they did nail his eyes and demeanor. I'm fine calling the portliness a symptom of his exile.

Regarding the unique Stormtrooper armor, Thrawn and his forces have been exiled and isolated for about 10 years at this point, their encounters with the new galaxy would lead to some divergence evolutions from the Empire. Since they don't have the backing might of the empire, I would think that Thrawn and his forces would have to learn and use Asymmetric methods to survive. Also I find Thrawn's alliance with the Nightsisters to be interesting, exiled Empire shock troops and a dark magik Dathomiri army would be a solid backbone for an invading force.

Also, Ezra should be super pissed when he finds out what Sabine did. Right now this feels like a plot hole, but I'm sure it will be addressed. I sure hope they didn't write themselves into a corner.
C@LAg

death and resurrections are common deceptions played out by both Jedi and Night sisters.

Maul coming back... again... confirmed.
bobinator
AG
It wasn't so much understanding him, I probably worded that wrong, just at times his voice seemed to fade into the music. Like the background music was too loud for how low his voice is or something but it wasn't all the time.

Do we think that animal she was riding is supposed to be reminiscent of a loth wolf?
C@LAg
bobinator said:

Do we think that animal she was riding is supposed to be reminiscent of a loth wolf?
i got more Jim Henson vibes than Lolth Wolf.
TCTTS
AG
- Loved the initial Prometheus vibe of the planet, along with the overall foreboding tone of the episode.

- In agreement that Thrawn's look is underwhelming. I realize they cast the original voice actor, but a more intimidating/svelte actor, with naturally dark hair (and no wig), would have been so much better.

- I actually really dig the actor who's playing Ezra, though. He has a natural likability. What kind of bugged me was his and Sabine's reunion, as I thought it would be way more emotional, and that they'd be way more surprised to finally see each other.
Dro07
AG
Ezra is playing it cool. He has been turned down by her way too many times.
The Porkchop Express
Warning: Kumbaya post incoming

As someone who read Heir to the Empire as a 17-year-old in 1991, tonight's episode bordered on a religious experience for me. On first blush, I'd put it slightly behind Episode 4, but ahead of everything else, including the Anakin episode, and go as far as to call it the biggest thing Star Wars has done since Baby Yoda, perhaps even more daring, in taking the story outside of the Galaxy and introducing a lot of really exciting things that have been mentioned in books and such before this, but never seen in live action.

My first-blush observations.

1) The Chimera - great entrance, repaired to a degree, but did not seem brand new. Magnificent to see it in live action. It's literally in the first paragraph of the first book.

2) The Nightsisters - straight out of Clone Wars and Mother Talzin and creepy as ****. Reminded me of the weird sisters in the original Clash of the Titans with their speaking patterns. I liked that they assumed Sabine "reeked of the Jedi" then were taken aback that Baylan had been one as well.

3) The Night Troopers and Enoch. Thought I had made the joke of the year when I said, "Is that Destro?" but then my 11 year old said "who's Destro" and the moment was gone. The name Night Troopers obviously suggests some sort of interference from the Night Witches. Could it be like in The Black Hole when those guys are dead and somehow zombified? And on a side note, The Black Hole is the most horrifyingly scary PG movie of all time.

4) Thrawn - I couldn't have been more pleased. The mannerisms and the voice and the thoughtfulness that I had hoped for were all there. The encyclopedia-esque brain to automatically know that Baylan Skoll had been a general, but at the same time not knowing Ahsoka because she had vanished at the time he came to power. His refusal to get revved up by Sabine. Everything about that performance was really exceptional for me, and kudos to Ray Stevenson for subtly adjusting his acting to appear a little unsettled by Thrawn when they shared scenes.

5) Ezra - I was surprisingly emotional for Ezra's appearance. The guy playing him nailed his voice and I suspect he felt Sabine approaching through the Force and was thus able to not be totally overwhelmed when she was suddenly there. I'm glad they went full beard with him, and the scenes with Sabine and the aliens were very much "Leia meets Wicket" from ROTJ.

6) Purgill Graveyard - Really cool visual, very nice attention to detail.

7) Baylan's Quest - As much of a Thrawn worshipper as I am, this is what really dialed the episode up for me and if you've read the Thrawn original three novels, I suspect that you also are seeing the increasing parallels between Baylan's character here and Joruus C'baoth's in those novels. Actually, Baylan and the Night Mothers both play C'baoth's role it appears. C'Baoth was a clone of a Jedi who had fallen to the dark side if you haven't read them. Thrawn asking the Night Sisters for the use of their magick - love the 'k' is very reminiscent of him asking C'Baoth to use the Force to do some very intricate deceptions. But as we would find out near the end of The Last Command novel, even being crazy didn't stop C'baoth from having a plan of his own, which he nearly accomplished and which was quite different than Thrawn's plan.

There was even a fairly similar conversation there, and yes I have gotten my copy of The Last Command off the shelf to share it.

In tonight's episode, when Baylon and Shin are talking, he speaks of a power greater than anything else, I believe he calls it "The Source" - which for us means the Source of the Living Force, but his conversation is very similar to one that C'Baoth has with an Imperial officer whose mind he has possessed. The "him" he refers to in the first part is Thrawn.

From The Last Command - dialogue only

"Is it about power, Master C'aboth?" Covell asked.
"It is indeed, General Covell," C'baoth said. "I told him at the very beginning that true power didn't lie in the conquering of distant worlds. Or in battles and war and the crushing of faceless rebellions.

No, General Covell, This - this is true power. Holding another's life in the palm of your hand. Having the power to choose his path, and his thoughts, and his feelings. To rule his life, and decree his death. To command his soul."

He interestingly goes on to compare Thrawn to Palpatine, saying that Palpatine saw power "only as how far outside himself he could reach." So while Thrawn wants conquest, C'Baoth wants something he believes is of greater power. Very much the way Skoll sounded tonight.

Really loved the episode, start to finish.

ABATTBQ11
AG
For a show called Ahsoka, there was very little Ahsoka.

I think Benedict Cumberbatch would have made an excellent Thrawn.

Are they loading dead bodies from the catacombs?

What is Baylan looking for? Pretty sure it has something to do with the story Huyang tells Ahsoka

I think Baylan eventually has a change of heart and rediscovers his faith.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think he called it The Beginning
jabberwalkie09
AG

Social media marketing has been doing a really good job with this show.
maroon barchetta
Baylan and Shinn are going to get caught in attack by Thrawn's squads when they are going after Sabine and Ezra.

Thrawn and crew will then jump back to their home Galaxy.

Baylan and Shinn will feel betrayed and accept, even if temporary, an offer of alliance with Sabine and Ezra.

Ahsoka and the whales will show up and give them a ride back to the home galaxy.
dave94
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Oh, and Journalist clearly read leaks and passed them off as "predictions". I'll never understand why some people get off on doing this.

Seriously.
Legal Custodian
AG
Best episode so far imo. The score was good, and Sabines travel across the plains to find Ezra had a very "fantasy adventure" feel to it.

I've never read any of the books with Thrawn in them and know nothing about him besides what I've read online over the years. But I thought he had an immediate presence and gravitas to him that warranted the fear so pervasive in the new republic.

One great detail regarding Thrawn was the line of dialogue near the end where he told Morgan that he wanted all the information on Ahsoka. A lot of times the big bad guy will say "Bring me everything you have on {insert good guy here}!!" and storm off.

But he very calmly and menacingly listed off the exact information he wanted, "history, home world, master…". It shows how detailed and conniving he is. A true strategist if you will. I can only assume that's how he was portrayed in the books.

Just all around a great episode
The Porkchop Express
Legal Custodian said:

Best episode so far imo. The score was good, and Sabines travel across the plains to find Ezra had a very "fantasy adventure" feel to it.

I've never read any of the books with Thrawn in them and know nothing about him besides what I've read online over the years. But I thought he had an immediate presence and gravitas to him that warranted the fear so pervasive in the new republic.

One great detail regarding Thrawn was the line of dialogue near the end where he told Morgan that he wanted all the information on Ahsoka. A lot of times the big bad guy will say "Bring me everything you have on {insert good guy here}!!" and storm off.

But he very calmly and menacingly listed off the exact information he wanted, "history, home world, master…". It shows how detailed and conniving he is. A true strategist if you will. I can only assume that's how he was portrayed in the books.

If they stick to the continuity of the new books, that line was not a throwaway, because Thrawn knows Vader's secret.
concac
AG
Legal Custodian said:

First thought when I heard that was, "Wait until he finds out who her master was."
The Porkchop Express
Stormy helmets reminded me of Kylo Ren's repaired helmet with the red veins in TROS

Aggie_Journalist
AG
Goodness, no. I didn't read leaks and I don't read leaks. They take all the fun out of it. But I do like making predictions and seeing if they pan out. Sometimes they miss the mark, this time they were pretty on the money. But all of it was pretty strongly hinted at. (Morgan said her ancestors came from another galaxy earlier this season, for example, sith /evil worlds are always inhospitable wastelands in Star Wars, and I'm hardly the only one to predict Ezra would be a rebel.)

Anyway

I enjoyed the episode. The look of Thrawn's troops (someone called them night troopers) was my favorite part. I wish Thrawn's actor had more screen presence. He's blue and he has red eyes and an admiral's uniform, but he's not resonating as the Thrawn I've pictured since the 90's. Part of it is I'm not a fan of his voice (and haven't been since rebels). It's too smooth and not powerful/assertive enough. Oh well.

Any guesses what Baylon is after? It kind of feels like his goal is to form is own new, better Jedi order (he keeps talking about wanting to create and make something new). Maybe he thinks the old galaxy corrupted and weakened the Jedi, and that's why he wants to rebuild the order in this distant Galaxy, which has once hosted a powerful night sister kingdom?

Edit: First impressions of Ezra are great. He's only had a little screen time, but he captures the Ezra I remember.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.