*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,161 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
LB12Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Baylan attacked first this time. Transformation complete for Ahsoka.
jabberwalkie09
AG
"Strike me down Baylan and I shall become even more powerful than you can imagine" or something like that.
concac
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

I actually thought this episode was better produced, shot, and paced.

Loved the C-3PO cameo. Loved Anakin/Ahsoka training scene and the tidbit about him leaving 20 lessons for her, it added to his character for me. It hit home the idea that Anakin believed he would not survive the Clone Wars which turned out to be true from a certain point of view. Filoni hitting on the KOTOR ideas the great wars ultimately warp the Jedi and is damaging to their psyche was nice to be seen.

Loved the Baylen/Ahsoka duel and watching Ahsoka be Ahsoka again. I like Baylen/Shin's partnership ending. Baylen has really stolen this show.

Thrawn was much more tactical in this episode.

Ezra doesn't quite match his Rebels self, but I kinda liked him using the force to enhance his fighting. It was different and I think in the future, someone else will run with it giving us something interesting. As the fight wore on, I liked Ezra using the Blaster reminded me of early Rebels Ezra. Him and Sabine don't have a lot of chemistry.

They left a lot of questions for the next episode. It really feels like there should be two episodes left.

Or this should have been the cliffhanger for Season 2.

Really going to be curious how next week's episode plays out.

Overall, maybe this episode could be seen as filler, but it really seemed to try and tie some elements of the show together while giving the characters moments to shine.

I mean, dude has been stranded on a desolate planet for 10 years and his only companions are hermit crab-like people. I think he's in a pretty damn good mood considering what he's been through.
bobinator
AG
This show has nailed the characters and the feel but with just one episode to go, I dunno… it's hard to explain but I just don't love the plot I guess.
hunter2012
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

When Ahsoka shuts down the hologram of Anakin and says, "He was a good Master." I really wanted Huyang to say, " Well, until he killed everybody."
The Porkchop Express
At this point it seems pretty clear that Thrawn will be the villain in the Flioni super movie. Where he fits into everything else (Mando Season 4?, Ahsoka Season 2?) will be anyone's guess.

Big ups to Carson Teva for pulling in the battle on Mandalore.

And I'm sure you sequel haters flinched at Sabine saying "That's what people say" when Ezra asks if Palpatine died.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
RealTalk said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Loved the C-3PO cameo. Loved Anakin/Ahsoka training scene and the tidbit about him leaving 20 lessons for her, it added to his character for me. It hit home the idea that Anakin believed he would not survive the Clone Wars which turned out to be true from a certain point of view. Filoni hitting on the KOTOR ideas the great wars ultimately warp the Jedi and is damaging to their psyche was nice to be seen.

Loved the Baylen/Ahsoka duel and watching Ahsoka be Ahsoka again. I like Baylen/Shin's partnership ending. Baylen has really stolen this show.

Ezra doesn't quite match his Rebels self, but I kinda liked him using the force to enhance his fighting. It was different and I think in the future, someone else will run with it giving us something interesting. As the fight wore on, I liked Ezra using the Blaster reminded me of early Rebels Ezra. Him and Sabine don't have a lot of chemistry.

They left a lot of questions for the next episode. It really feels like there should be two episodes left.

Overall, maybe this episode could be seen as filler, but it really seemed to try and tie some elements of the show together while giving the characters moments to shine.

I mean, dude has been stranded on a desolate planet for 10 years and his only companions are hermit crab-like people. I think he's in a pretty damn good mood considering what he's been through.

At the end of Rebels he seemed more focused and determined. I think he is almost in too good of a mood. I felt he should be more zen-like and less space hippy. But it is a preference like. Like I noted him using the blaster is inline with his character, I just don't think it fully lines up. A lot of it has to do with having a 10-15 year time jump and requiring the characters to stagnant during this time.

We see the wear of time on Thrawn and crew but a lot less on Ezra. I think he would be more like Kanan and less like a thirty year old acting like a teenager. Same issue with Sabine, but didn't want to drag it up again.
The Porkchop Express
Dekker_Lentz said:

RealTalk said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

At the end of Rebels he seemed more focused and determined. I think he is almost in too good of a mood. I felt he should be more zen-like and less space hippy. But it is a preference like. Like I noted him using the blaster is inline with his character, I just don't think it fully lines up. A lot of it has to do with having a 10-15 year time jump and requiring the characters to stagnant during this time.

We see the wear of time on Thrawn and crew but a lot less on Ezra. I think he would be more like Kanan and less like a thirty year old acting like a teenager. Same issue with Sabine, but didn't want to drag it up again.

I guess on the Ezra front, if you were stranded in a place where you knew nobody and no one even spoke your language for a decade, and then one day, one of the 4 people who mattered to you most in the whole world showed up, you'd have the natural tendency to slip back into the personality you carried when you knew that person. I saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen in probably 12-17 years recently, and we all fell right back into old stories and old jokes; nobody talked about COVID or any recent BS.

Ezra can clearly tell Sabine is hiding a ton of crap, so being a good friend, he seems to be keeping it light until she's ready to open up, and just be happy he's around a person he love again.
The Porkchop Express
Based on the plot points and the fact there's maybe an hour left, the most logical way forward would seem to be Baylan "waking up" something that he can't contain, that thing being a threat to both the good guys and Thrawn and his contingent, and them all having to escape, either working together or just by happenstance. The whales are gone, and unless Ezra can call them back, it seems like their only way home is with the bad guys on the ring or somehow caught up in its wake.

Thrawn gets the W by returning to the galaxy, but Ahoska & Co get the win for escaping him and being able to warn the NR.
KCup17
AG
I think we won't find out about Ezra's last 10 years until Sabine tells him how she got there.
jabberwalkie09
AG

Based on the plot points and the fact there's maybe an hour left, the most logical way forward would seem to be Baylan "waking up" something that he can't contain, that thing being a threat to both the good guys and Thrawn and his contingent, and them all having to escape, either working together or just by happenstance. The whales are gone, and unless Ezra can call them back, it seems like their only way home is with the bad guys on the ring or somehow caught up in its wake.

Thrawn gets the W by returning to the galaxy, but Ahoska & Co get the win for escaping him and being able to warn the NR.
I agree with Baylan waking something up. Minor thought I had watching the end of the episode, Shin basically had her entire world turned upside down with Baylan parting ways seemingly because of her ambition and lust for power. She's both visibly and audibly upset when the troopers are recalled and the gunships leave when Ahsoka offered to help her. It's going to be interesting to see where Shin ends up but she's giving me some Ventress vibes after Dooku tried to kill her. However, instead of Thrawn trying to kill Shin it would be just leaving her to be stranded on Peridia.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Why would Thrawn be afraid of Luke? Wasn't he disappeared before anyone even knew who Luke was? I'd think he'd be freaked out that he's facing Vader's apprentice.
The Porkchop Express
ABATTBQ11 said:

Why would Thrawn be afraid of Luke? Wasn't he disappeared before anyone even knew who Luke was? I'd think he'd be freaked out that he's facing Vader's apprentice.
We're assuming he has known that the Empire has fallen.
To the outside world, Luke blew up the original Death Star, then went onto the second Death Star to confront both Vader and the Emperor, and was the last man standing. That is someone to fear.
The Porkchop Express
jabberwalkie09 said:

I agree with Baylan waking something up. Minor thought I had watching the end of the episode, Shin basically had her entire world turned upside down with Baylan parting ways seemingly because of her ambition and lust for power. She's both visibly and audibly upset when the troopers are recalled and the gunships leave when Ahsoka offered to help her. It's going to be interesting to see where Shin ends up but she's giving me some Ventress vibes after Dooku tried to kill her. However, instead of Thrawn trying to kill Shin it would be just leaving her to be stranded on Peridia.
Shin seems like a great candidate to sacrifice herself. She has zero allegiance to Thrawn and openly despises Elsbeth. I'm surprised she didn't go with Baylan.
ABATTBQ11
AG

ABATTBQ11 said:

To the outside world, Luke blew up the original Death Star, then went onto the second Death Star to confront both Vader and the Emperor, and was the last man standing. That is someone to fear.

Yeah, but he was gone for all of that. Kind of wondering how he's caught up on all the details of 10+ years of banishment. He's been a galaxy away, so pretty sure he hasn't been getting the paper delivered.
C@LAg

or... Thrawn and co take the ring way back; Baylan finds a temple/way to get into the World Between Worlds. The heroes escape that way. Baylan is defeated in the process, or choses to go walkabout in the WBW while his apprentice goes with the heroes.

Everyone is back in galaxy prime by episode end leading into the "movie".
C@LAg
ABATTBQ11 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Yeah, but he was gone for all of that. Kind of wondering how he's caught up on all the details of 10+ years of banishment. He's been a galaxy away, so pretty sure he hasn't been getting the paper delivered.
NNN News?

Nightsister Network News?

All the news that can be conjured. Plus sports and weather.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Gonna call it now that Thrawn basically wins at the end of the next season but is killed by snoke or emo Vader, realizing that he was a pawn the entire time to bring the band back together.
C@LAg
ABATTBQ11 said:

Gonna call it now that Thrawn basically wins at the end of the next season but is killed by snoke or emo Vader, realizing that he was a pawn the entire time to bring the band back together.
Possible, or he could see the First Order is just going to repeat the mistakes of the past, and he withdraws back to Chiss space to deal with the Grysks as he predicted they would be a problem for the Ascendency and the Empire, and it has been ten years.
redline248
AG
C@LAg said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

NNN News?

Nightsister Network News?

All the news that can be conjured. Plus sports and weather.
Well, Morgan would know most of the details. I'm sure he asked when the Rebellion was finally beaten and she had to go "well, about that..."
redline248
AG
For my part, I enjoyed that episode. I was slightly surprised that Ezra didn't take the lightsaber, which I thought would have been cool. It was also cool to see him show why he didn't need it.

As for personalities, I think it's refreshing to see Ezra be somewhat loose and relaxed, and Thrawn and crew showing some wear and tear. From Ezra's perspective, he's defeated Thrawn and doesn't have much to worry about. Thrawn, on the other hand, has to somehow maintain a Star Destroyer full of soldiers. Probably has to worry about supplies, mutinies, order, all that. For 10 years with no real mission.

Someone mentioned no real chemistry between Sabine and Ezra. I thought it was kind of fine, especially the banter back and forth during the chase/combat. They've been living alone(ish) for a long time and I'm sure there is some awkwardness. I do wonder if the show intends any romance between them. I sort of thought Sabine was warming up to that at the very end of Rebels, but maybe that was a misinterpretation. Ezra is surely a little more mature now and probably knows better than to dive right into it day 1 of seeing her again.

Oh, I was also a little surprised we got Baylan v Ahsoka part 2 so soon. I figured once he told Shin adios that he'd just go on his way and not hang around. I wasn't even under the impression Ahsoka was jumping out near him.

I must have missed Thrawn caring about a 2nd ship, let alone an X-wing.

Props to Ezra teaching the crab to shoot a slingshot. Nice little call back, and funny enough for me when it didn't work.

Shin and Baylan need more screen time and it sucks we won't get it. Could have probably been an awesome spin off of those 2.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Interesting thing I noticed, I'm sure most of y'all did too.

The troopers killed in battle didn't mist, so not sure they are reanimated. However, the hologram of the captain does mist and look different than other holograms.

I think the coffins are dead troopers and/perhaps some of the dead night sisters
The Porkchop Express
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Interesting thing I noticed, I'm sure most of y'all did too.

The troopers killed in battle didn't mist, so not sure they are reanimated. However, the hologram of the captain does mist and look different than other holograms.

I think the coffins are dead troopers and/perhaps some of the dead night sisters
I was going to say also, the stormtroopers sounded like normal guys. They said "Go, go!" like a million stormtroopers before them.

Loved that Thrawn gave them a deployment protocol and watched it all on his screen. Everything about him last night was such a love letter to the books that he originated in.

Also loved how little time it took Ahsoka to whip Shin's azz. The differentiation between Jedi Master (or close enough) and 20-year-old who can't finish off un-Force powered Sabine was just as large as it needed to be. Reminded me of the Batman / Cat Woman fight in the last Batman movie.
The Porkchop Express
Screen Rant gets up early to provide us with the headline of the day:

Why C-3PO Returns In Ahsoka Episode 7 (& Why Leia Isn't There Herself)
redline248
AG
Journalism!
redline248
AG
Before I forget (for the 12th time) it's pretty obvious senator d-bag is an imperialist, right? We know from Mando S3 that they are working in the background of the republic, and we also know from Bloodline (a Leia novel) that some are in the senate.
The Porkchop Express
redline248 said:

Before I forget (for the 12th time) it's pretty obvious senator d-bag is an imperialist, right? We know from Mando S3 that they are working in the background of the republic, and we also know from Bloodline (a Leia novel) that some are in the senate.
Last scene of Episode 8 should be Thrawn broadcasting a challenge to the NR and that guy doing GOB's line from Arrested Development.

redline248
AG
I know it's pretty typical in shows/movies for there to be a hardliner 180 degrees opposed of the characters we like, but this guy is also the prototypical "thou dost protest too much"
jabberwalkie09
AG
Hamato Xiono (I think that's how it's spelled) is the father of Kaz who Leia recruits in Resistance. I like that they're giving a nod to the show existing but I hope that's as far as it goes. Not really spoilers for Resistance, but Hamato and his wife were off Hosnian prime when Starkiller Base was used. I don't think it was mentioned he was an Imperial loyalist though. Could be missing something.
bobinator
AG
For me, most of this show lands between "fine" and "pretty good" but the whole political arc of this show is truly bad. It doesn't make any sense. If one of your top generals thinks there's a threat and wants to check it out, you might say they can't take the whole fleet because of resources or whatever, but you'd at least green light some kind of small strike team to check it out.

And then we have the classic Star Wars "technology is only as good as the plot needs it to be" moment where there's no proof of what happened despite there being several large ships near the purgill when they jumped to hyperspace, the X wings seeing the ring jump to hyperspace, etc. There's no cameras on any of those ships? All they have are the "reports"?

Then on top of that we have the skeptic character who is just openly antagonistic to everything going on. It would be more believable as a conniving guy who does the classic "acting like he wants to help" bit. If that characters whole bit is riding momentum for personal gain he's doing a terrible job of it at the moment.
redline248
AG
I don't know much about the directors, but a lot of this is probably just the shortcomings of Filoni's background in animation. Characters can be completely one dimensional.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think they missed an opportunity to show corruption within their new republic. The only reason that senator would be so dumb is if he is doing some under the table deals with Morgan.
Flashdiaz
AG
yeah that senator was Cobra Kai acting bad. Why is it unfathomable to think of going to another galaxy when hyperspace is so common? And he laughed at the idea of Jedi when there was a whole council of Jedi not that long ago.
bobinator
AG
And he acts like the purrgil are some kind of myth, they appeared DURING A MAJOR BATTLE not that long ago. Literal millions of witnesses.
The Porkchop Express
Madmarttigan said:

I think they missed an opportunity to show corruption within their new republic. The only reason that senator would be so dumb is if he is doing some under the table deals with Morgan.
Uh, you don't know any dumb senators?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.