*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,167 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cbr said:

TCTTS said:

I seriously do not get how some of you aren't embarrassed, or at least aren't more self aware, as to how ridiculous you sound, as grown ass men, when you throw tantrums on the internet in the most cliched way imaginable about not everything in Star Wars catering to your specific gender, or the gender/ages of your specific children. It's both hilarious, and flat out sad, that this is what sets you off. When most normal people either don't give a sh*t, because who cares if Lucasfilm devotes, like, ten percent of their output to trying to appeal to girls - or - because we're, for the most part, well-adjusted, empathetic human beings who can relate to the plights of characters despite us having d*cks when they don't.

What a ridiculously fragile way to live.
The show is from a teenage afternoon cartoon, and always had lots of girls. I didnt mention this issue for that reason and many others. There is nothing wrong with that or this particular show from that perspective.

What is wrong, ironic given history and reality, and destructive, is the fact that white men basically have been deliberately relegated to only idiots or villains in almost EVERY show. They've even made idiots or villains out of existing iconic white male heroes.

That is the fragile way to live that you should be embarrassed about, and it shouldnt surprise you or offend you when people do discuss it. Its blatant and counterproductive when you look at their products across the board.

An endlessly stupid argument, based on nothing more than an asinine persecution complex…

Notable SW characters in the Disney era:

Kino Loy = white male hero
Karis Nemik = white male hero
Luthen Rael = white male hero
Luke Skywalker = white male hero
Han Solo = white male hero
Galen Urso = white male hero
Cobb Vanth = white male hero

Prominent SW writers/directors/producers in the Disney era:

JJ Abrams = white male writer/director/producer
Gareth Edwards = white male director
Jon Favreau = white male writer/director/producer
Dave Filoni = white male writer/director/producer
Tony Gilroy = white male writer/producer
Joby Harold = white male writer/producer
Ron Howard = white male director
Rian Johnson = white male writer/director/producer
Lawrence Kasdan = white make writer
Chris Terrio = white male writer
Gary Whitta = white male writer

Need I go on?

EVERY movie has been written AND directed by white men, while EVERY series has been showrun by white men as well.

But sure, Disney/Lucasfilm/Kathleen Kennedy has it out for white men.

I swear, some of you live on a completely different planet than the rest of us.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some of y'all saying a show with women will never appeal to teenage boys. Uh, have you seen the actresses they cast?

All three main characters are super hot.

Hagen95
AG
I have a teenage son and he isn't interested in women costumed as alien characters.
Red Five
AG
Quote:

I've got no issues with Asohka being female driven at all. Love all the characters. However, aside from Luke, Han, and maybe Luthen, non of the rest of that list are "notable". Kino Loy and Karis Nemik are briefly appearing side characters from a single show, Cobb Vanth appeared in like 1 and a half episodes across 2 shows, and Galen Urso was a macguffin for his daughter.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm sure that's what he tells you.
jeffk
AG
I know many have referenced Raiders as an influences for the opening temple scene, but it also reminded me a lot of The Fifth Element as well.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Some of y'all saying a show with women will never appeal to teenage boys. Uh, have you seen the actresses they cast?

I'm sure teenage boys hated the extended shot of Sabine's ass on the speeder bike. No thanks!
TCTTS
AG
And? They were still white men who were ultimately depicted as doing good, noble things crucial to their relative stories.
Hagen95
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm sure teenage boys hated the extended shot of Sabine's ass on the speeder bike. No thanks!
I'm sure they would, but they will never see that scene because they don't care about the show. This show isn't targeted to that audience.

I'm enjoying it a lot, but I'm a SW fan of everything, but none of my teenage kids (boys or girls) and their friends have shown any interest in watching it or even discussing it. I hope that changes as I want this show to succeed.

TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Tap the brakes. Everyone has their own preferences, but I wouldn't qualify any of these gals as super hot.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed, but they also made it pretty clear in ANH that the Jedi were extinct. That becomes less and less true with every new series or game.
jeffk
AG
Here's a Screencrush breakdown of the first two episodes if anyone was looking for an in-depth dive into all the little things you might have missed

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The dad is in rebels and the bad batch.
Cool. I knew him from the book.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Agreed, but they also made it pretty clear in ANH that the Jedi were extinct. That becomes less and less true with every new series or game.

I agree, which is why I'm glad we finally have some content getting away from the same 50 year period.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Totally agree. Actually I'm really looking forward to start filling in this 30 year gap between ROTJ and TFA.

A ton of story to be told there. In fact, if there's a season 2, it would be cool to get a bit of a time jump (maybe 5 years) to get a little farther down the timeline.
Red Five
AG
TCTTS said:

And? They were still white men who were ultimately depicted as doing good, noble things crucial to their relative stories.
And nothing, I'm just saying they weren't "notable". I'm not out here banging the anti-diversity drum, but to say certain trends aren't noticeable seems disingenuous. Lucasfilm has been owned by Disney for 10 years and hasn't produced a single film or series featuring a white male protagonist that wasn't a pre-existing character from the 70s.

Looks like that will finally change with Skeleton Crew.
PatAg
AG
Red Five said:

Quote:

I've got no issues with Asohka being female driven at all. Love all the characters. However, aside from Luke, Han, and maybe Luthen, non of the rest of that list are "notable". Kino Loy and Karis Nemik are briefly appearing side characters from a single show, Cobb Vanth appeared in like 1 and a half episodes across 2 shows, and Galen Urso was a macguffin for his daughter.
Other than 2 of the most important characters to ever exist in star wars, what else is there?
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

I know many have referenced Raiders as an influences for the opening temple scene, but it also reminded me a lot of The Fifth Element as well.
Thats more what I thought if
redline248
AG
Quote:

Lucasfilm has been owned by Disney for 10 years and hasn't produced a single film or series featuring a white male protagonist that wasn't a pre-existing character from the 70s.
What does it say about me that I was about to go, "uh..Mandolarian?" before realizing Pedro isn't white in the traditional sense?

Plus, we never see him anyway
Madmarttigan
AG
Mandalorian, Andor, and Fett are all male but that key WHITE part is missing so the tears flow
Formerly tv1113
fig96
AG
Came here to post about thoughts on the first ep. Should've expected...the expected.

First ep was fun, I watched Clone Wars but have only seen about the first 2 seasons of Rebels so probably need to go back and watch that for full context. That said, thought the storytelling and action was pretty solid but the acting was a little mediocre. Definitely got shades of Fifth Element from the temple scene as jeffk mentioned, and Ahsoka's little twisty hole punch there was pretty bad ass.

Watching ep 2 tonight.
justnobody79
leave it to all you negative nancy's to derail this thread into bantha fodder
redline248
AG
justnobody79 said:

leave it to all you negative nancy's to derail this thread into bantha fodder
There have been like 2. Everyone else is digging the show
Red Five
AG
Asohka has been great. My favorite character so far is Huyang because he is voiced by a white guy.
redline248
AG
lmao

He's british though, so that doesn't count!!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
redline248 said:

lmao

Basically a woman.
jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248 said:

lmao

Technically Scottish.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just to add to this, Jedi were somewhat mythical beings though even in the PT when the order existed. It's easy to not believe something or dismiss the existence of when there isn't much in the way of evidence for that thing/group.
The Porkchop Express
You can also see Filoni's major love of the prequels when Shin tracks Sabine on Lothal, she does it very similarly to how Maul tracks the Jedi on Tatooine in TPM - the small probe droid, watching from a distance, then the sneak attack, and even the escape - although it's her jumping onto the ramp to get away from Ahsoka rather than Qui-Gon jumping onto the ramp to get away from Maul.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's fair.
fig96
AG
The probe droid took me straight back to Hoth, the sound effect helped.
redline248
AG

You can also see Filoni's major love of the prequels when Shin tracks Sabine on Lothal, she does it very similarly to how Maul tracks the Jedi on Tatooine in TPM - the small probe droid, watching from a distance, then the sneak attack, and even the escape - although it's her jumping onto the ramp to get away from Ahsoka rather than Qui-Gon jumping onto the ramp to get away from Maul.
Yeah I was like, you mean to tell me in the 30+ years since Maul tracked Qui-Gon they don't have a droid that can just send a signal? It has to go all the way back?
fig96
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just to add to this, Jedi were somewhat mythical beings though even in the PT when the order existed. It's easy to not believe something or dismiss the existence of when there isn't much in the way of evidence for that thing/group.
Yup, we did the math on one of the threads a while back and it was like 1 Jedi per several million people across tens of thousands of underdeveloped planets.
Apache
AG
Quote:

1 Jedi per several million people

So on Earth there would be a couple of thousand Jedi running around if they existed?
PatAg
AG
redline248 said:

Yeah I was like, you mean to tell me in the 30+ years since Maul tracked Qui-Gon they don't have a droid that can just send a signal? It has to go all the way back?
Even a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away they have conflict between remote work and in person.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.