*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,146 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Maybe I missed it. But have discussed the eye of scion and how it works?

Im leaning towards more of a wormhole rather than traditional hyperspace drive.

Something where they turn it on, and can see directly to the next galaxy and then cross over nearly instantly, or something like that.

I don't believe this has been explained yet. Huyang said it would be able to go really fast but I cant remember anything else than that.
Hagen95
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Maybe I missed it. But have discussed the eye of scion and how it works?

Im leaning towards more of a wormhole rather than traditional hyperspace drive.

Something where they turn it on, and can see directly to the next galaxy and then cross over nearly instantly, or something like that.
Too big to make the Kessel Run. Would not fly in..
jeffk
AG
You what y'all are saying is Jacen's mom has got it goin on?
jeffk
AG
But also do you think force ghosts haunt people they don't like… or that hook up with their exes?
bobinator
AG
This is Star Wars, I'm surprised we even got the explanation we did last episode.
bobinator
AG
TCTTS said:

I do agree that's pretty cool, especially for a franchise so famously known for being set in a "... a galaxy far, far away." I just wish they'd underline that idea a bit more.
I think this is my biggest issue so far. Overall I like the show, it hasn't done anything dumb yet like BoBF and Kenobi (although I got nervous when Ashoka went outside the ship...).

But it's almost TOO grounded for what they're trying to do. We already knew the map was real before they introduced the "Path of Peridia" legend. Why not start with the legend and then we find out it's real?

I'd have started this show with a live action version of the scene in rebels where Ezra and Thrawn go to hyperspace with the Purrgil. That would have been the cold open to set the stage for the non-Rebels audience of who Thrawn and Ezra are and what happened to them. Then after the title you have the crawl where it's like "It's been five years since..." Then you start the show with Ashoka hearing one of these "whispers" about Thrawn's return, that it's possible he survived the Path to Peridia. Then Ashoka goes looking for the path, that's what leads her to Morgan, etc, etc. Like build up the drama on if this path is even real and why it's even a legend in the first place before we find it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
IMO we're seeing just how much knowledge or legends of old that were known to Jedi, and apparently other factions like the Nightsisters, have been lost to time and the upheaval. Huyang has been around for a very long time and seems to be connecting the dots for our protagonists who are very much playing catch up.

On the other hand, Elsbeth seems to be a bit of a historian.
The Porkchop Express
Some of us have waited 30+ years to see a live-action Thrawn, putting him in the first scene of the series would have been cheap.

I believe the general message that Filoni is sending about some of the dynamics is that if you didn't watch Rebels in the past 10 years, tough ****ing *****
LB12Diamond
AG
Watching Rebels to learn the back story. Characters in both appear to be pretty consistent.

Except for Sabine. She appears more confident in Rebels all the time. In Ashoka she's inconsistent.
bobinator
AG
I mean if the live action Thrawn is that big of a deal then shoot the scene from Hera's perspective where we see the ship and purrgil and hear her talking to Ezra and then they all blast into deep space or whatever. I just came up with that off the top of my head there's lots of options.

But for all the people that didn't watch Rebels, set up what exactly happened. the spectacle of a star destroyer being warped to god knows where in the middle of a battle by these giant space whales. Truly one of the most awe-inspiring moments in all of Star Wars for the people that saw it.
bobinator
AG
There's like a 95% chance that the first time we see Sabine use the force it's going to be in some super dramatic way right? Like she's not going to lift a rock or something, it's gonna be dramatic and a bunch of people are going to hate it yes?
The Collective
AG
bobinator said:

There's like a 95% chance that the first time we see Sabine use the force it's going to be in some super dramatic way right? Like she's not going to lift a rock or something, it's gonna be dramatic and a bunch of people are going to hate it yes?

Hagen95
AG
bobinator said:

It doesn't matter how it happens, a bunch of people are going to hate it. This is the Star Wars fanbase you're talking about.
redline248
AG
Hagen95 said:

bobinator said:

It doesn't matter how it happens, a bunch of people are going to hate it. This is the Star Wars fanbase you're talking about.
I mean if it has to happen I won't be a fan, but whatever. I hope she hits the pseudo Sith apprentice in the head with the tea cup.
kdm_01
AG
To me it sounded like Ashoka told Sabine (and viewers) that the force is in everyone and talent is not required. That through training anyone(?!) can use the force. Feels contradictory.
redline248
AG
kdm_01 said:

To me it sounded like Ashoka told Sabine (and viewers) that the force is in everyone and talent is not required. That through training anyone(?!) can use the force. Feels contradictory.
That is definitely not what was established for 30 years
Mathguy64
AG
kdm_01 said:

She said aptitude helps. Or something like that.
The Collective
AG
Ahsoka was helping protect force-sensitive children in Rebels. I'm not sure understands how the force works.
bobinator
AG
This has been more or less the line since the beginning. That anyone *can* use the force to some degree, but some people are more naturally talented with it than others (obviously.)

What's interesting about Sabine though is almost all of our other padawans we've seen go through training were naturally talented and grew up without seeing Jedi or people using the force. For them, believing in the force in the first place was a big hurdle they had to overcome in their training. This is true of Anakin, Luke and Ray (to some extent), for example.

But Sabine has been around force users plenty. Kind of an interesting dynamic there.
kdm_01
AG
Yep, but only helps.
Am hoping it was more of a throwaway comment to reassure Sabine.
Hagen95
AG
All that has been preached about for years has been Jedi training and force usage. Neither of which the two characters we're discussing are.
redline248
AG
Well it won't matter if Sabine doesn't have a lot of midichlorians
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

I mean if the live action Thrawn is that big of a deal then shoot the scene from Hera's perspective where we see the ship and purrgil and hear her talking to Ezra and then they all blast into deep space or whatever. I just came up with that off the top of my head there's lots of options.

But for all the people that didn't watch Rebels, set up what exactly happened. the spectacle of a star destroyer being warped to god knows where in the middle of a battle by these giant space whales. Truly one of the most awe-inspiring moments in all of Star Wars for the people that saw it.
It really should have been a cold open like you say, kind of how the first JJ Abrams Star Trek started. Makes me sad to see you describe it so well and realize its too late to have gotten it. I think they have done a good job of organically giving the back story, and letting people piece it together from various scenes...but that would have been an epic beginning to the series.
The Porkchop Express
kdm_01 said:

the EU did a lot of exploration of other users of the Force, including in 2 of the books that Zhan wrote about Thrawn. Other beings can use the Force, obviously, the Nightsisters of Dathomir being one example. In some of the later books it appear that the Kel Dor (Plo Koon's species) could use it naturally, but didn't all choose to.

I think Ahsoka's line that she doesn't need Sabine to use the Force, just to be herself is pretty telling. Sabine at this point has no purpose in life - feels like an outcast from Mandalore, feels she should have been there to help both Kanan and Ezra, and then taking Ezra's request to guard Lothal way too literally.

There's still a great shot from the trailer we haven't seen of her with her Mando gear on using her whip cord to take out a droid or something. I'd really like the a-ha moment for Sabine to realize she needs to be a Mandalorian with the discipline and focus of a Jedi. Because that would be a pretty bad ass combo.
bobinator
AG
It's just the awe-factor that this show is missing so far. We've got ancient star maps revealing that a fairy tale for young jedi is actually true, space whales with the ability to travel between galaxies, a literal witch that was interrogated by an almost-Jedi (this happening off screen is my only actual real criticism of this show so far), and that's just the first three episodes. Yet a lot of the time it feels like it's being handled with all the mystique of a procedural crime drama.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Sounds like this show isn't really for me then since I haven't read all the books, and watched all the animated series. I don't mind pulling in some elements of other things, but I really prefer the shows to kinda stand on their own. Same kind of complaint I have with superhero movies these days. They've gotten to the point where you have to watch all the content that came before to understand the current movie. I don't have that much time. I'm lucky to carve out time for this show each week.
redline248
AG
I think it will stand on it's own. Yes, you might not have some of the background on Hera, Sabine or Ezra, but that probably doesn't matter.

Maybe watch the episode of the Mandalorian where Ahsoka captures Morgan, but even that probably isn't necessary.
bobinator
AG
You definitely don't need to have read the books and I don't think you're really going to need to have seen the animated shows either.

The only thing that's really external information that might be helpful to understand so far is why exactly Ahsoka left the Jedi, but even that isn't really vital, it would just add to understanding that character a little bit more.
Moral High Horse
bobinator said:

PatAg
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Sounds like this show isn't really for me then since I haven't read all the books, and watched all the animated series. I don't mind pulling in some elements of other things, but I really prefer the shows to kinda stand on their own. Same kind of complaint I have with superhero movies these days. They've gotten to the point where you have to watch all the content that came before to understand the current movie. I don't have that much time. I'm lucky to carve out time for this show each week.
What Bob and I were talking about, is we think it would have been better to have that intro scene for many reasons. BUT it doesnt NEED that, and you dont need to have watched or read everything to enjoy this show
LB12Diamond
AG
Watching Rebels definitely helps out on the back ground of the purgils.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

kdm_01 said:

She said aptitude helps. Or something like that.
Talent iirc is how she phrased it. The force is part of all living beings based on what Kenobi said in ANH/Star Wars. Whether that talent is measureable like we saw in TPM or just general talent, I mean I think it's clear that Sabine doesn't have that talent regardless of whether or not it is measureable just based on what we have been shown so far.
redline248
AG
Moral High Horse said:

bobinator said:

Technically, not the first time we see him use it.
redline248
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Watching Rebels definitely helps out on the back ground of the purgils.
Not after Huyang told everyone exactly what they were in this recent episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Moral High Horse said:

bobinator said:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.