*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,174 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Genuinely curious for answers - what is it about animation that turns so many people off? Is it because you think it's only for kids or the medium doesn't appeal to you or ??

With so many successful shows - Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, Archer, out there, is it the barrier of it being on Disney+ and Cartoon Network that holds people back?

For sure there are some episodes of every SW animated series that are specifically for kids and very wacky, goofy, but there's obviously so much depth and context to other arcs and series, it really makes me wonder, especially when you have a lot of insanely talented voice actors attached.

Just curious as we veer between the dueling subjects of "Hollywood actresses I wouldn't date" and "Everything wrong with the first 2 episodes."

I'll hang up and listen.
sburg2007
I enjoyed the star wars animated material, for the most part. I bet for some its just the picture though. I have tried to watch The spiderverse movies and the animation just hurts my head.
Madmarttigan
AG
There is a ton of cheesy and kiddie filler in both CW and rebels, I could easily see why someone doesn't feel like watching them.
Formerly tv1113
PatAg
AG
Madmarttigan said:

There is a ton of cheesy and kiddie filler in both CW and rebels, I could easily see why someone doesn't feel like watching them.
Whichever the first one that came out was, I remember thinking it looked bad and hearing it was bad.
Enough people said on here that it was actually good, and that there was a list of episodes you could watch to get the good storylines and that was 100% worth doing.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Some people don't like animation at all, regardless of quality.

I don't know how those people survive having kids though.
bobinator
AG
I think for most people they just assume that if it's a cartoon that it's not serious, and maybe they're looking for a more serious show. Almost all of the big hit animated shows for adults are comedies.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Genuinely curious for answers - what is it about animation that turns so many people off? Is it because you think it's only for kids or the medium doesn't appeal to you or ??

With so many successful shows - Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, Archer, out there, is it the barrier of it being on Disney+ and Cartoon Network that holds people back?

For sure there are some episodes of every SW animated series that are specifically for kids and very wacky, goofy, but there's obviously so much depth and context to other arcs and series, it really makes me wonder, especially when you have a lot of insanely talented voice actors attached.

Just curious as we veer between the dueling subjects of "Hollywood actresses I wouldn't date" and "Everything wrong with the first 2 episodes."

I'll hang up and listen.

I can watch a Pixar or Illumination movie, no problem, same with the Spider-Verse stuff, the new Ninja Turtles, etc, and I think that has to do with the specific stylization. If the design of the human characters is clearly an over exaggeration (like with Pixar or Illumination), or they're done in a very particular style (like Spider-Verse or Turtles), great. But these Star Wars shows have such generic/plain-looking human characters, whose facial expressions are so rudimentary and cheap-looking to me, that it takes me out of it. That, and the dialogue is just really bad and obvious at times, since it's aimed at kids. It can be good or even great story telling, but I just have such a low tolerance for all the lame quips and on-the-nose conversations. That said, again, I thought the action and cinematography in Rebels was really done, and better than expected, it's just the character work, from the design to the dialogue, that I find kind of distracting.
TCTTS
AG
Also, a big part of it has to do with animated movies vs animated shows, the former being something that is so much more considered, in terms of taking, say, four years to tell/design/animate two hours vs taking one year to tell/design/animate eight hours or however long a season ends up being.
PatAg
AG
I'll say this, even though this series is taking place between trilogies, there is a LOT of room to tell an interesting story. Just because we dont see a lot of these characters in the last trilogy, that doesnt necessarily mean nothing important happens.
jeffk
AG
The first several CW seasons were pretty bland looking for sure. Which was made even more stark in that they were replacing the "other" CW series done by Genndy Tartakovsky for Cartoon Network. It was super weird, like his Samurai Jack cartoon, but at least it was stylized and interesting.
cbr
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I'll hang up and listen.

i put off the cartoons for years. didnt take them seriously, figured they were for kids, not that well done artistically, etc.

however, when disney started coming out with the utter, absolute, insulting trash they started putting out in live action, i realized that their **** is not worth watching. Good plot and character lines beat live action special effects any day, IMO.

then people kept telling me that the top episodes of Clone Wars were some of the best star wars plot/characters out there, i gave it a shot. There are some bad episodes, filler, kid's stuff, etc., but bottom line, it is true. The top 10-15 Clone wars episodes are the best star wars content anywhere, outside of Rogue 1, Ep. IV, etc.

I respect brilliance in story telling as well. Rogue 1 was an absolutely BRILLIANT prequel to Ep. IV.

Similarly, i felt like the arc of Clone ward was a brilliant salvage of the prequels.

Madmarttigan
AG
Problem with cartoons is they have high highs but really low boring kiddie lows at the same time. It's a love hate thing for me but usually they are worth the wait for the good stuff.
Formerly tv1113
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Madmarttigan said:

This.
TXAG 05
AG
Madmarttigan said:

You could say the same thing about the prequels
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Just watched ep 2 and thought it was every bit as strong as ep 1

- Really enjoy the animation of the robots. The combination of being very still and then slightly jerky in their movements really reiterates their non-humanness in a way I feel we haven't seen
- The plot feels fairly predictable so far, and I feel like we can see a little into the future (somehow, Sabine and Ahsoka will get on the Eye of Sion and everyone will warp to the Galaxy Thrawn and Ezra are in), but I have no idea what will happen after that. I hope they avoid a predictable "Thrawn has made himself emperor of this galaxy and Ezra leads the resistance," story, but the other likely play isn't *much* more compelling (The new galaxy has a threat so terrible that Thrawn and Ezra have teamed up, and the newcomers must work together to defeat that threat while also trying to backstab each other). Hoping to get surprised with something original in that new galaxy, far far away.
- Nice job establishing tension in a sensible way by saying "of course ex imperials are still working here. We need their labor."
- Really enjoy what we're seeing from Baylan (sp?) so far. He's definitely evil, but not cackling insane evil. His comment, with a tinge of sadness, about how it would be a shame to kill Ahsoka because so few Jedi are left gave him some nice depth.
- action and visuals have all been top notch. Lothcats also look great.
- LOVED when Ahsoka's robot told Sabine that she was the least-talented jedi he had ever seen. Our jedi are usually naturally amazing with the force - it'll be great to see someone for whom it's all a struggle.
bobinator
AG
If Thrawn and Ezra aren't working together when they find them it's a huge missed opportunity IMO.
Belton Ag
AG
My knowledge of Star Wars lore is pretty much limited to the Movies and TV shows. I haven't read any novels or comic books in 25 years or more.

So now I have a question:

How many times have people left the Star Wars galaxy and travelled to another? Other than the Purgills, how would they get there?
jabberwalkie09
AG
bobinator said:

If Thrawn and Ezra aren't working together when they find them it's a huge missed opportunity IMO.
I'm kind of hoping for something similar to Enemy Mine where their mutual cooperation is required to survive.
Mathguy64
AG
Maybe that's why Thrawn isn't in the sequels. He does a heel turn and a sacrifice.
jokershady
AG
Overall….meh…..it was alright. Wasn't bad and definitely seems to at least not be suffering from the same crap writing as BoBF and Obiwan…..but just not fully pulled in yet.

Can't really put a reason on it but just my take so far….
The Porkchop Express
No way Thrawn is going to be doing anything other than building an Army to come usher in a new Empire.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

bobinator said:

I'm kind of hoping for something similar to Enemy Mine where their mutual cooperation is required to survive.

So at the end of the season Erza will go back to Thrawns home planet with his kid he has raised after Ashoka kills Thrawn
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
jabberwalkie09
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

bobinator said:

So at the end of the season Erza will go back to Thrawns home planet with his kid he has raised after Ashoka kills Thrawn

I mean, I wasn't going that far for plot homages.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
damn, I laughed out loud at a lot of that.
The Porkchop Express
Just watched it again with my other daughter. Completely forgot that she used her Rebels' call-sign "Fulcrum" when she is contacted by Home 1.

What a scene this was back in the day!

ABATTBQ11
AG
Damn that Ewan McGregor is on point
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw SWT theorize about this -- what if when Ezra pulled Ahsoka out of the past to save her life, an alternate timeline was created, thus the entire Mando-verse is already a parallel timeline to the Sequel Trilogy?

I think it's highly unlikely...but given we have a whole nother galaxy being introduced now, it's certainly not impossible.
Saxsoon
AG
Filoni has already said they are not doing alternate timelines
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Saw SWT theorize about this -- what if when Ezra pulled Ahsoka out of the past to save her life, an alternate timeline was created, thus the entire Mando-verse is already a parallel timeline to the Sequel Trilogy?

I think it's highly unlikely...but given we have a whole nother galaxy being introduced now, it's certainly not impossible.
Please no.
Belton Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

My knowledge of Star Wars lore is pretty much limited to the Movies and TV shows. I haven't read any novels or comic books in 25 years or more.

So now I have a question:

How many times have people left the Star Wars galaxy and travelled to another? Other than the Purgills, how would they get there?
I did some googling on this and found that - other than Ezra and Thrawn - there isn't much info about people leaving the Star Wars galaxy, but there is a lot of info about a an ancient race of people coming into the galaxy from outside.

Currently they - and their storyline - are not cannon and are a part of the EU, but they do have connections to the Chiss. Apparently Filoni was going to develop a storyline featuring them in one of his earlier projects but abandoned it.

So my guess is that this ancient race was the one Morgan Elsbeth was talking about in the last episode and that somehow she has figured out how to reach that galaxy using the Eye of Sion.
powerbelly
AG
It will be wild to see how/if they show up in cannon.
cbr
AG
The worst thing about rebels was them trying to explain the ****ing universe and travel across galaxies and delve into the nature of the force and all that *****

Bad ideas. If anyone could explain the universe in a satisfactory manner they would have already done it over the last 14 billion years. I've seen every sci fi flick and been to every kind of church there is and no one's ever done it better than the bible.

Fwiw though, i did go back and watch the last 4 episodes of clone wars and they are all above 9.5 imdb rating for a reason. They were really good.
The Porkchop Express
Which book of the Bible talks about the Chiss Ascendancy?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No hot women in the Bible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.