*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,132 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
TCTTS said:

Orome said:

Enjoyed it but everything (directorial and action wise) seemed a little too sterile/clean. I'm not expecting or wanting shaky cam or lens flares, but during the dog fight everything just seemed so calm and pleasant…maybe that's just my take. Also did those bad guy planes look like old mustangs to anyone else?

This. The story is fine, and it's centered around a great mystery, but visually this thing feels like a stage play at times. That typical flat, digital look, the most boring, straightforward cinematography, all capturing the most clean, sterile sets, where nothing feels used or lived in. Combine that with Filoni's lack of ability to write anything other than five minute scenes, and Star Wars' problem of every last character increasingly sounding stiff and stoic, and this show currently has zero oomph or pizazz. It's intriguing for sure, and I appreciate all the various nods, but man, it desperately needs someone with a sense of style and pacing behind the camera.
100% this. Characters being stiff and stoic is so accurate. Need some personality. The bad girls seem the only direction they get is look angry, yet calm, and delivery all your lines as flat as possible. Boring. There's nothing about these characters that has really pulled me in yet. I really want to like this show, but so far it just hasn't gotten me. We'll see. Maybe it just needs to grow on me.
redline248
AG
Regarding the "sterile" comments, I'd like to dive in a little.

This past episode we were:

On a Republic military cruiser. It would make sense for the hallways and meeting rooms to be clean and neat. Military discipline and all. This is no longer the rag-tag rebel alliance.

A large hyperspace ring that looks to be mainly occupied by droids. Droids are going to keep things sterile and tidy. All about that protocol.

Same with Ahsoka's ship. She's a former Jedi used to living with the bare essentials, sharing the ship with another droid that is big on procedure.

Contrast that with the tower in which Sabine was living. She had junk cluttered all over the place.

The acting/directing is maybe a little more worthy of this type of criticism. Morgan, in particular, is pretty much the same in every scene. That might just be the actress, though. Wasn't she a stunt person most of her career?

We kind of discussed Ahsoka before, and I don't think there is much wrong with how she generally is being acted. Maybe not quite enough "concern" or adrenaline fueled delivery during the chase scene.

Baylan is the same, imo. Former Jedi, experienced, no need to get too wound up over anything just yet. His apprentice is maybe trying to emulate that, but probably needed to show a little more frustration at not being able to finish off Ahsoka's ship. The problem is, we can compare her to the ultimate no-nonsense, silent killer - Darth Maul. I don't think that is quite what they are going for with her, but it doesn't suit her to be silent and focused, imo.

Sabine, though, is the one who is most easily going to show her emotions, and I think she's been doing a decent job. Hera is doing pretty great.
jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248 said:

Contrast that with the tower in which Sabine was living. She had junk cluttered all over the place.
The tower is either the same style or same one Ezra was living in at the start of Rebels. Even if the exterior was remodeled, if the interior equipment of a communications tower is doing its job then thats fine I'd think.

Quote:

The acting/directing is maybe a little more worthy of this type of criticism. Morgan, in particular, is pretty much the same in every scene. That might just be the actress, though. Wasn't she a stunt person most of her career?

We kind of discussed Ahsoka before, and I don't think there is much wrong with how she generally is being acted. Maybe not quite enough "concern" or adrenaline fueled delivery during the chase scene.

Baylan is the same, imo. Former Jedi, experienced, no need to get too wound up over anything just yet. His apprentice is maybe trying to emulate that, but probably needed to show a little more frustration at not being able to finish off Ahsoka's ship. The problem is, we can compare her to the ultimate no-nonsense, silent killer - Darth Maul. I don't think that is quite what they are going for with her, but it doesn't suit her to be silent and focused, imo.

Sabine, though, is the one who is most easily going to show her emotions, and I think she's been doing a decent job. Hera is doing pretty great.
Jedi to me were normally less emotional in comparison to non-force users. Padme from the PT when she was in full regalia would be an exception to that though. I agree with you on Hera and Sabine. Hera's emotional outburst during her meeting was understandable and you could tell that Mothma reacted to the possibility of Thrawn's return. There also seems to be a some what subtle tension between Elsbeth and Hati given the dialogue, I might have even seen Elsbeth's eye twitch.

I think in particular for Ahsoka, some might be drawing on the animated portrayal which was more animated (pardon the pun). That doesn't necessarily mean its going to carry over or that age might have changed her. Even in Rebels she was more composed until she fought Anakin/Vader.
The Collective
AG
I thought it was better. Was nervous they'd have Ahsoka step out into space without even wearing a mask, so I breathed a huge sigh of relief there.
The Collective
AG
Also, glad that Ahsoka cannot force fly in space like Anakin's kid.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, there's just not many "emotional" characters in this series yet. Ezra, Zeb, and Sabine (Chopper too I guess) filled that void in the series and all we have left is Sabine. The two Sith-ish characters are pretty stoic and Morgan has one emotion that we've seen so far.

Hopefully there's some more weighty scenes given to characters soon.
KCup17
AG
Might get the emotion when they find Ezra and or Thrawn.
Hagen95
AG
I'm okay with a show full of introverts. You extroverts can get out.
jeffk
AG
I'm hoping that's soon and not in the final episode of the season like I fear it might be.
redline248
AG
Quote:

There also seems to be a some what subtle tension between Elsbeth and Hati given the dialogue, I might have even seen Elsbeth's eye twitch.
It certainly feels like a rivalry is brewing
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Orome said:

Enjoyed it but everything (directorial and action wise) seemed a little too sterile/clean. I'm not expecting or wanting shaky cam or lens flares, but during the dog fight everything just seemed so calm and pleasant…maybe that's just my take. Also did those bad guy planes look like old mustangs to anyone else?

This. The story is fine, and it's centered around a great mystery, but visually this thing feels like a stage play at times. That typical flat, digital look, the most boring, straightforward cinematography, all capturing the most clean, sterile sets, where nothing feels used or lived in. Combine that with Filoni's lack of ability to write anything other than five minute scenes, and Star Wars' problem of every last character increasingly sounding stiff and stoic, and this show currently has zero oomph or pizazz. It's intriguing for sure, and I appreciate all the various nods, but man, it desperately needs someone with a sense of style and pacing behind the camera.
It may not be fair to hold this show up against the quality of Andor, but its impossible not to once we have seen that it can be done. Its not going to keep me from enjoying it, but I don't think I should have to lower my expectations anymore either. Its possible to enjoy watching something while also seeing its shortcomings.

I am really looking forward to Ray Stevenson getting to flex his chops in a few scenes, which I expect will happen in the next couple episodes.
jabberwalkie09
AG
jeffk said:

I'm hoping that's soon and not in the final episode of the season like I fear it might be.
Would be fitting IMO to get Thrawn in the last scene of episode 4 after the Eye of Scion (or however its spelled). Just as bait to get you to continue to watch to episode 5. I'm looking forward ot seeing live action Thrawn though since its the same actor that voiced him from Rebels.
bobinator
AG
At least they definitely aren't backing away from the purrgil. That was a strange episode, feels like it was only half thought out.
jabberwalkie09
AG
bobinator said:

At least they definitely aren't backing away from the purrgil. That was a strange episode, feels like it was only half thought out.
The episode felt like an extension of episode 2. I kind of want to sit down and watch all 3 episodes together and see how that changes my perception.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, feels like this could have been cut down to be the end of the last episode or the start of the next one.
cbr
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Orome said:

seemed a little too sterile/clean.

visually this thing feels like a stage play at times.

Combine that with Filoni's lack of ability to write anything other than five minute scenes, and Star Wars' problem of every last character increasingly sounding stiff and stoic, and this show currently has zero oomph or pizazz. It's intriguing for sure, and I appreciate all the various nods, but man, it desperately needs someone with a sense of style and pacing behind the camera.

It may not be fair to hold this show up against the quality of Andor, but its impossible not to once we have seen that it can be done. Its not going to keep me from enjoying it, but I don't think I should have to lower my expectations anymore either.
When they are capable of Rogue 1, Andor, or the top episodes/finale of Clone Wars, they know how to make a great show.

And it should be almost impossible to **** up something in the star wars universe. Beloved and awesome stuff is baked into your starting point. Even if you dont have any imagination to write a show, they could just do what they always did - take a classic movie and reset it in the star wars universe. ****ING EASY.

So i think it is fair to expect a really good show, especially with a great character like ahsoka. I was really looking forward to it.

But after 1 and 2, i didnt even bother to watch 3, probably will tonight, but i honestly wasnt really excited about it anymore.

i dont know how they can **** that up so badly to make a 'meh' show with such a resource.

They don't seem to be DELIBERATELY making garbage content like the sequels or obi wan at least. But it sure seems 'meh' and i really can't comprehend that.

KCup17
AG
Yeah I would be so mad if the entire season is them getting to thrawn just for the season finale to be the thrawn reveal.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Orome said:

It may not be fair to hold this show up against the quality of Andor, but its impossible not to once we have seen that it can be done. Its not going to keep me from enjoying it, but I don't think I should have to lower my expectations anymore either. Its possible to enjoy watching something while also seeing its shortcomings.

I am really looking forward to Ray Stevenson getting to flex his chops in a few scenes, which I expect will happen in the next couple episodes.

Exactly. I still enjoy the show, and am looking forward to it each week, it's just more confusing than anything how they can continue to spend hundreds of million dollars on stuff like this, and more often than not the shows still look like flat, digital ass. Especially when it's really not that hard to add a little depth or slight grain to the image, shoot some lens flares here and there, let the colors pop more, scuff up the sets a bit, etc. Just watch Andor and do that. Talk to those cinematographers. Hell, the sequels may suck, but they look absolutely incredible, and with what they're spending here there's no reason they can't emulate the look/style of them either. I just don't understand it. Sure, in terms of storytelling, not everyone is Tony Gilroy, but good cinematography really isn't that hard to achieve or emulate.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Have they said whether this is filming in the Expanse (or whatever that digital Mandolorian set was called?)
jeffk
AG
KCup17 said:

Yeah I would be so mad if the entire season is them getting to thrawn just for the season finale to be the thrawn reveal.

Most recent experience with this was 1923. Took me about 3/4 of the season before I realized the event I was waiting to happen wasn't happening until season two.
TCTTS
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Have they said whether this is filming in the Expanse (or whatever that digital Mandolorian set was called?)

The Volume. I haven't heard, but I'm sure parts of it are. Even the Volume can be made to look incredible, though, as Mando season one and The Batman can attest.
jabberwalkie09
AG
cbr said:

PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Orome said:

seemed a little too sterile/clean.

visually this thing feels like a stage play at times.

Combine that with Filoni's lack of ability to write anything other than five minute scenes, and Star Wars' problem of every last character increasingly sounding stiff and stoic, and this show currently has zero oomph or pizazz. It's intriguing for sure, and I appreciate all the various nods, but man, it desperately needs someone with a sense of style and pacing behind the camera.

It may not be fair to hold this show up against the quality of Andor, but its impossible not to once we have seen that it can be done. Its not going to keep me from enjoying it, but I don't think I should have to lower my expectations anymore either.
When they are capable of Rogue 1, Andor, or the top episodes/finale of Clone Wars, they know how to make a great show.

And it should be almost impossible to **** up something in the star wars universe. Beloved and awesome stuff is baked into your starting point. Even if you dont have any imagination to write a show, they could just do what they always did - take a classic movie and reset it in the star wars universe. ****ING EASY.

So i think it is fair to expect a really good show, especially with a great character like ahsoka. I was really looking forward to it.

But after 1 and 2, i didnt even bother to watch 3, probably will tonight, but i honestly wasnt really excited about it anymore.

i dont know how they can **** that up so badly to make a 'meh' show with such a resource.

They don't seem to be DELIBERATELY making garbage content like the sequels or obi wan at least. But it sure seems 'meh' and i really can't comprehend that.
I watched this over Justified: City Primeval last night and I was a big fan of Justified. Primeval just didn't hold a candle to what came before it. However, Ahsoka has exceeded Book of Boba Fett and Mando season 3 which are all set in the same continuity from different directors and writers.

As far as dropping the ball Star Wars wise, I'll point you to TLJ but really the entire Sequel Trilogy. So many missed moments and so many missed opportunities that led to the franchise bascially ****ting the bed. It's honestly a surprise that people outside of hardliner fans are continuing to watch the franchise after so many misteps that came before it. At least this show is understanding the heritage of the franchise to some degree considering OT, PT, TCW, and Rebels.
jabberwalkie09
AG
jeffk said:

KCup17 said:

Most recent experience with this was 1923. Took me about 3/4 of the season before I realized the event I was waiting to happen wasn't happening until season two.
Paramount+ but really Paramount/CBS just can't get the formula right. They setup 1923 early on to be great but seemingly decided they needed to string people along to the next season.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
NSFcbr

An L of an Ag
AG
Flame away, but purposefully didn't read **** until catching up through episode three yesterday and today. Takeaways in order:

1) love the pacing! This action is very well done so far! Other shows in this genre take note: looking at YOU Mandalorian and Boba Fett.
2) Didn't realize Hera was Mrs. Ewan McGregor - way to outkick your coverage Obi-Wan!
3) I'm WAY behind on my Rebels/Clone Wars (the NEW one)/other animated series.. but I don't care.
4) Space battles/scenes appear to be much more polished than the other recent series. Probably because this is a personal sticking point of Filoni's, but I really hone in on this aspect of Star Wars stuff.
The Porkchop Express
An L of an Ag said:

Flame away, but purposefully didn't read **** until catching up through episode three yesterday and today. Takeaways in order:

1) love the pacing! This action is very well done so far! Other shows in this genre take note: looking at YOU Mandalorian and Boba Fett.
2) Didn't realize Hera was Mrs. Ewan McGregor - way to outkick your coverage Obi-Wan!
3) I'm WAY behind on my Rebels/Clone Wars (the NEW one)/other animated series.. but I don't care.
4) Space battles/scenes appear to be much more polished than the other recent series. Probably because this is a personal sticking point of Filoni's, but I really hone in on this aspect of Star Wars stuff.
Flames not incoming, most of the board is enjoying the hell out of this series. Glad you are too.
TXAG 05
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Before I forget, I am going to assume you are right there with me that Sabine in the sleeveless training shirt was 100% en fuego.

Just not seeing it. Plus the short hair isn't doing her any favors.
AliasMan02
AG
Haven't read it all but wanted to give kudos on the fact they're talking about going to a whole other galaxy. That's out of the box Star Warsing.
TCTTS
AG
I do agree that's pretty cool, especially for a franchise so famously known for being set in "... a galaxy far, far away." I just wish they'd underline that idea a bit more.
The Porkchop Express
TXAG 05 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Before I forget, I am going to assume you are right there with me that Sabine in the sleeveless training shirt was 100% en fuego.

Just not seeing it. Plus the short hair isn't doing her any favors.
Well this is definitely the first time in the history of TexAgs that 2 people have disagreed about the attractiveness of a woman.
Moral High Horse
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Maybe I missed it. But have discussed the eye of scion and how it works?

Im leaning towards more of a wormhole rather than traditional hyperspace drive.

Something where they turn it on, and can see directly to the next galaxy and then cross over nearly instantly, or something like that.
The Porkchop Express
Moral High Horse said:

AliasMan02
AG
Approve of thicc Hera even though obviously none of the chicks on the show are hot.
Saxsoon
AG
I think it is a suped up version of the hyperspace ring that Obi Wan used in the prequels for his individual star fighter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.