*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,126 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SouthTex99 said:

Is Thrawn force sensitive? Doesn't seem so. What makes him such a baddy?

He's a blue Lex Luthor with storm troopers and star destroyers instead of a global conglomerate.
Dro07
AG
Can't remember but how many years do we have before the possibly uncannoned sequels? 20 years?
Red Five
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I demand a blue star if you're a Zahn reader and you questioned last night if that was really Thrawn, or perhaps, only Flim in disguise?
Would that mean that Enoch is Major Tierce in disguise?
jeffk
AG
Dro07 said:

He learns about cultures and different peoples to exploit their weaknesses and is ruthless and methodical when doing so

He's a diabolical art historian.
redline248
AG
Finally got to watch this morning. While the episode was a sloooooow burn, it was a good one. For me, it doesn't matter how natural the makeup, hair or physique are for Thrawn. It is all about his words and delivery. I thought the actor did a great job pulling off just how menacing and in control of everything he is.

My first thought on seeing the Stormtroopers with the various red paint (or was it cloth wrapping) on the armor was that there is some serious Nightsister work going on. I did think it could be zombie-type stuff, but maybe it's just something to help keep them alive and fit in a world with limited resources to sustain an army.

The arrival of the star destroyer was dope af.

I thought the "it reeks of Jedi" was going to be a misdirect and have the witches call out Baylan, but I do like the idea of them being wrong when they assumed it was Sabine they felt.

I agree about the Sabine/crabs being a parallel to Leia/Wicket. I don't have an immediate opinion on Ezra, other than it didn't make me say it was a miss. I was trying to decide if he came across ok, but since it's been a long time since I watched Rebels, and he's supposed to be so much older I figured it doesn't matter.

Baylan's motivations are really interesting, but I kind of don't like that he's seemingly keeping Shin in the dark only because the show wants to keep the audience in the dark. Shin is the classic side kick that only sort of questions what the show thinks the audience will question, and has no real thoughts or motivations of her own. At least with Darth Maul you knew he just wanted to kill Jedi and you didn't need him to think. Shin needs some fleshing out, imo.

That episode, again while slow, I think is building up the steam for an exciting finish.
Flashdiaz
AG
He also knows not to come out of Hyperspace too close to enemy bases.
jeffk
AG
As others have said, the visuals in this episode were top-notch. The night troopers blend of Dathomir and aged Empire motifs was really cool. Patched up Star Destroyer too. Love the Henson-esque dog thing and the crab people (and their little MOBILE HOMES).

The music was also perfectly off-putting as well. Very foreign and non-traditional Star Wars sounding.

I do wonder how they're going to make this show about Ahsoka again... it's always been a Rebels sequel, but maybe something about Baylan's quest is directly related to her past or future? IDK, but there has to be a way to tie this back into her arc more distinctly.
jabberwalkie09
AG

7) Baylan's Quest - As much of a Thrawn worshipper as I am, this is what really dialed the episode up for me and if you've read the Thrawn original three novels, I suspect that you also are seeing the increasing parallels between Baylan's character here and Joruus C'baoth's in those novels. Actually, Baylan and the Night Mothers both play C'baoth's role it appears. C'Baoth was a clone of a Jedi who had fallen to the dark side if you haven't read them. Thrawn asking the Night Sisters for the use of their magick - love the 'k' is very reminiscent of him asking C'Baoth to use the Force to do some very intricate deceptions. But as we would find out near the end of The Last Command novel, even being crazy didn't stop C'baoth from having a plan of his own, which he nearly accomplished and which was quite different than Thrawn's plan.

There was even a fairly similar conversation there, and yes I have gotten my copy of The Last Command off the shelf to share it.

In tonight's episode, when Baylon and Shin are talking, he speaks of a power greater than anything else, I believe he calls it "The Source" - which for us means the Source of the Living Force, but his conversation is very similar to one that C'Baoth has with an Imperial officer whose mind he has possessed. The "him" he refers to in the first part is Thrawn.

From The Last Command - dialogue only

"Is it about power, Master C'aboth?" Covell asked.
"It is indeed, General Covell," C'baoth said. "I told him at the very beginning that true power didn't lie in the conquering of distant worlds. Or in battles and war and the crushing of faceless rebellions.

No, General Covell, This - this is true power. Holding another's life in the palm of your hand. Having the power to choose his path, and his thoughts, and his feelings. To rule his life, and decree his death. To command his soul."

He interestingly goes on to compare Thrawn to Palpatine, saying that Palpatine saw power "only as how far outside himself he could reach." So while Thrawn wants conquest, C'Baoth wants something he believes is of greater power. Very much the way Skoll sounded tonight.

Really loved the episode, start to finish.
They've set the stage for Baylan's quest to be as important as Thrawn's return imo. Ezra has probably some knowledge on this since he's been there for so long. The discussion between Shin and Baylan in last night's episode mirrored their discussion on Seatos when Shin asked what would happend when they find Thrawn.

Perhaps, the last couple of episodes will deal with not the attempt to try and thwart Thrawn's return but also trying to stop whatever Baylan is seeking from either being used or returning with them.
Flashdiaz
AG
maybe Baylan is looking for either how to make Force sensitive clones (Snoke) or something related to Palpatine to answer the comical 'somehow Palpatine returned'.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Is "The Source" the true source and not the true power as opposed to the one power, right? [/ takes off wheel of time hat]
The Porkchop Express
Red Five said:

I demand a blue star if you're a Zahn reader and you questioned last night if that was really Thrawn, or perhaps, only Flim in disguise?
Would that mean that Enoch is Major Tierce in disguise?
I love those books, despite how convoluted they are, but somewhere along the way, Zahn fell in love with the phrase " And then __________ moved." to start off an action sequence. If those books were a drinking game, you'd be on the floor after 10 chapters.
hurleyag
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Baylan and Shinn are going to get caught in attack by Thrawn's squads when they are going after Sabine and Ezra.

Thrawn and crew will then jump back to their home Galaxy.

Baylan and Shinn will feel betrayed and accept, even if temporary, an offer of alliance with Sabine and Ezra.

Ahsoka and the whales will show up and give them a ride back to the home galaxy.

I took it that Thrawn was sending Baylan & Shinn to take out Sabine & Ezra, while the storm trooper squads were being sent to take out Baylan & Shinn.
The Porkchop Express
hurleyag said:

maroon barchetta said:

Baylan and Shinn are going to get caught in attack by Thrawn's squads when they are going after Sabine and Ezra.

Thrawn and crew will then jump back to their home Galaxy.

Baylan and Shinn will feel betrayed and accept, even if temporary, an offer of alliance with Sabine and Ezra.

Ahsoka and the whales will show up and give them a ride back to the home galaxy.

I took it that Thrawn was sending Baylan & Shinn to take out Sabine & Ezra, while the storm trooper squads were being sent to take out Baylan & Shinn.
I think Thrawn was kind of like "oh well" if Baylan and Shinn get taken out in the melee.

Much like in the books, Thrawn is pretty wary of anything he can't control. People with the Force definitely fall into that category.
Red Five
AG
Ysalamiri when
The Porkchop Express
Red Five said:

Ysalamiri when
Vornskrs?
kdm_01
AG
Baylon describes Ezra as coming from a "breed of Bokken Jedi trained in the wild after the temple fell".
Two thoughts.

Have we seen this terminology before?
And 'A breed of Bokken Jedi' definitely feels that it could refer to a group and not just a handful of scattered "new" Jedi.

Great episode - the remaining two episodes hold great potential!
kdm_01
AG
Oh, and Baylon questioning of the Night Sisters motives as "fleeing a greater power". Good stuff.
bobinator
AG
But Thrawn studies everything, it's like his whole bit. And she was beside Anakin, an extremely famous person, during some major battles. Not a huge deal, and the record keeping and what people know and don't know of major events in Star Wars has always just been whatever is most convenient to the plot at the time.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm not sure Thrawn would have made it a point to learn that much about Anakin because of what was kind of a passing meeting, especially since Anakin "died" not long after. A lot of things about the Jedi may have been destroyed or declared taboo after the fall of the order.
redline248
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I'm not sure Thrawn would have made it a point to learn that much about Anakin because of what was kind of a passing meeting, especially since Anakin "died" not long after. A lot of things about the Jedi may have been destroyed or declared taboo after the fall of the order.
I haven't read the newer Thrawn books, but if he encountered Vader and was left with a bruised windpipe, it would not be out of character for him to silently collect as much info as possible on Vader/Anakin in case there ever came a time they were true enemies.
redline248
AG
You know, I kind of expect Baylan to not want to fight Ezra at all. He is probably hoping he will share whatever secrets he's learned of the planet in order to find whatever he's looking for. Keeping his word to Sabine might come into play again.
fig96
AG
Star destroyers have incredible parking brakes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
bobinator said:

But Thrawn studies everything, it's like his whole bit. And she was beside Anakin, an extremely famous person, during some major battles. Not a huge deal, and the record keeping and what people know and don't know of major events in Star Wars has always just been whatever is most convenient to the plot at the time.
But you could argue that Palpatine made sure the Jedi records were uttterly destroyed after the purge, so all those battle records might have vanished. And he'd probably be particularly careful wiping out Anakin's stuff. . That was in 19 BBY. Thrawn doesn't even become part of the Empire until 15 BBY and isn't in command of his own ship until some time after that. I'm sure Vader fascinated him, but the window of time to gather that information between their working together on Batu and Thrawn being exiled is incredibly small.

I want the series to end with Thrawn getting back to the galaxy, he heads for Planet Mexico and find Gillad Pelleaon working out on his boat for this scene.

KCup17
AG
redline248 said:

You know, I kind of expect Baylan to not want to fight Ezra at all. He is probably hoping he will share whatever secrets he's learned of the planet in order to find whatever he's looking for. Keeping his word to Sabine might come into play again.

I kind of feel like he will end up aiding Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka in some fashion. Lots of things pointing to that he could be a wild card flipping allegiances depending on his own interests.
ski-man
AG
KCup17 said:

redline248 said:

I kind of feel like he will end up aiding Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka in some fashion. Lots of things pointing to that he could be a wild card flipping allegiances depending on his own interests.

I felt like at the end of this past episode Thrawn made it sound like he was going to sacrifice him to get what Thrawn wants.
Let's go ski-man!
StinkyPinky
AG
jeffk said:

As others have said, the visuals in this episode were top-notch. The night troopers blend of Dathomir and aged Empire motifs was really cool. Patched up Star Destroyer too. Love the Henson-esque dog thing and the crab people (and their little MOBILE HOMES).

The music was also perfectly off-putting as well. Very foreign and non-traditional Star Wars sounding.

I do wonder how they're going to make this show about Ahsoka again... it's always been a Rebels sequel, but maybe something about Baylan's quest is directly related to her past or future? IDK, but there has to be a way to tie this back into her arc more distinctly.
Only flaw I saw is when they arrived in Peridea. During the trip the shots of inside the ship with Sabine, Morgan, Baylon....looked huge. When they landed on Peridea and walking off the ship it looked like it wouldn't even accommodate 4 people standing side by side. Was a weird CGI perspective. Seems like it wouldn't have been hard to fix in post.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Tardis Tech
KCup17
AG
Sacrifice Baylon or Ezra?
powerbelly
AG
I do not care for beer belly Thrawn
redline248
AG
StinkyPinky said:

jeffk said:

Only flaw I saw is when they arrived in Peridea. During the trip the shots of inside the ship with Sabine, Morgan, Baylon....looked huge. When they landed on Peridea and walking off the ship it looked like it wouldn't even accommodate 4 people standing side by side. Was a weird CGI perspective. Seems like it wouldn't have been hard to fix in post.
They switched from the huge star ring to a small shuttle
Mathguy64
AG
powerbelly said:

I do not care for beer belly Thrawn
Yeah, especially given his workouts in martial arts in Rebels. That was one of his traits. Mads needed to work out with a trainer for 2 months before filming.
bobinator
AG
Yeah this normally doesn't bother me, but it was part of Thrawn's character.
KCup17
AG
Needs more powerbelly instead
Mathguy64
AG
I'm assuming it was a conscious choice by Filoni. The passage of time and being isolated affected even Thrawn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.