*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,155 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SORRY, NO SCREENINGS IN YOUR AREA.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing I was kind of hoping to see, or at least learn, was how Ahsoka and Luke initially met. I imagine the legend of Luke Skywalker made it pretty obvious to Ahsoka who he was, but it's still something I'd like to get a little more on at some point.
Mathguy64
AG
Ahsoka to Luke: "Hey kid. When you see your dad tell him Snips says "hi"."
redline248
AG
Couple more random things I thought while watching:

Droid fight! Huyang has some moves

Hera's squad upon realizing the big ring is about to jump to hyperspace and just keeps flying straight at it...
The Porkchop Express
Mathguy64 said:

What If the next episode opens with Ahsoka saying " HI, sky guy!" And he takes out a red lightsaber and cuts her head off?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lot of people seem to be thinking she's already dead.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mathguy64 said:

What If the next episode opens with Ahsoka saying " HI, sky guy!" And he takes out a red lightsaber and cuts her head off?
Well then she'll either wake up from a dream or the show will abruptly end and get a name change. Like that one Bingo episode of Bluey.
This episode of Ahsoka is called 'Sabine!'
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lot of people seem to be thinking she's already dead.
Weren't we told after Rise of Skywalker that she wasn't dead? I mean, I get that that was an out of universe comment by Disney and they could change it, but still.
LB12Diamond
AG
Not dramatic enough
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Episode five in theaters next Tuesday...

Considering the number of people who have said that episode is the favorite of multiple actors, episode 5 may be the peak for the season. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

Considering the number of people who have said that episode is the favorite of multiple actors, episode 5 may be the peak for the season. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Same. They're pretty heavily underlining that this is THE episode of the season.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

Same. They're pretty heavily underlining that this is THE episode of the season.

This just cements the idea that we aren't seeing Thrawn or Ezra until the final 2 episodes. They're setting this up for a season 2 imo. Or a crossover with Skeleton Crew (which has been rumored) for later. In for a penny, in for a pound, let's make this happen LFL/Disney. Make it quality is my only request.
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

This just cements the idea that we aren't seeing Thrawn or Ezra until the final 2 episodes. They're setting this up for a season 2 imo. Or a crossover with Skeleton Crew (which has been rumored) for later. In for a penny, in for a pound, let's make this happen LFL/Disney. Make it quality is my only request.

If I had to guess, I think we see Thrawn at either the end of the next episode, or at some point in episode six. So potentially two-and-a-half total episodes with him. Either way, yeah, it's obvious they're now setting up for a second season or a crossover, before the eventual Avengers-style movie. There's just no way we get this entire thing wrapped up in four episodes.
twilly
AG
Didn't get enough sleep to see it was already posted. I'll try harder.
Madmarttigan
AG
To be fair it might be my fault I brought up the slow dialogue first after this episode. Once you hear/see it it's like the glass shattering in the HIMYM episode and it's all you focus on.

TC is giving the show its fair praise too, it's not as bad as his Mando hate. (Which after watching some CW/rebels and I get further away from season 3 I kind of agree that it was pretty bad)

Cbr is like purposely watching a show he hates just to tell us it's garbage.
gougler08
AG
TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

If I had to guess, I think we see Thrawn at either the end of the next episode, or at some point in episode six. So potentially two-and-a-half total episodes with him. Either way, yeah, it's obvious they're now setting up for a second season or a crossover, before the eventual Avengers-style movie. There's just no way we get this entire thing wrapped up in four episodes.

Feels like somehow we get Thrawn and/or Ezra shown at the end of the episode to setup the last 3
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

It does feel at times that Filoni is trying to make a live action Samurai Jack.

This feels spot on.

I enjoyed this episode the most. Sure the show is flawed and it highlights Filoni's weaknesses as a live action show runner, but at least I like the mysteries and story they have set up and look forward to the pay offs.
jeffk
AG
They've gotta at least give us a glimpse of the new galaxy this next episode, right? Maybe the wrecked SSD?
SantaLucia
Really boring to me. I like Rosario Dawson so I gave this a try.

Honestly, all the Star Wars shows have been pretty poor outside of Rogue One and Andor. Outside of those two, I guess the SW universe just isn't for me.
Legal Custodian
AG
SantaLucia said:

Honestly, all the Star Wars shows have been pretty poor outside of Rogue One and Andor. Outside of those two, I guess the SW universe just isn't for me.
Not for everyone, but at least you gave it a shot and continue to do so.
SantaLucia
Legal Custodian said:

SantaLucia said:

Not for everyone, but at least you gave it a shot and continue to do so.
On a positive note, Andor is amazing. Truly.
jabberwalkie09
AG
gougler08 said:

TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

Feels like somehow we get Thrawn and/or Ezra shown at the end of the episode to setup the last 3

Maybe. I think it's pretty much a given the next episode is going to be focusing on Anakin and Ahsoka. I'm thinking that TCTTS' idea is likely assuming Elsbeth arrives at her destination at the end of next episode.
Koldus131
AG
SantaLucia said:

I'm assuming you haven't seen Clone Wars or Rebels. Which would make complete sense.

I don't know how anyone could possibly understand or greatly enjoy this show without seeing at least one of those two series. Makes me wonder how well it's performing, because it just seems like the audience capture potential is pretty limited.
Madmarttigan
AG
I was so intrigued by her awesome appearance in Mando that I watched The Ahsoka essentials CW episodes and all of rebels, but even without that it's highly likely I would have watched this because that Mando episode was one of the best ones to me.
bobinator
AG
redline248 said:

Hera's squad upon realizing the big ring is about to jump to hyperspace and just keeps flying straight at it...

The blocking of this sequence, where they were in relation to Baylon's shuttle and why they weren't tying to stop it or whatever was a tad confusing to me.
Mathguy64
AG
So this was the first real shot of the Ghost right?
LB12Diamond
AG
So that's why they had some extra X-Wings with nobodies to be sacrificed.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
On a slight tangent. But I think Disney Star Wars as a whole is deciding where to strike the balance between fantasy and science fiction elements. I think Ahsoka as a series tends to highlight these issues.

Andor worked because it minimized the fantasy elements and focused on telling a more traditional military sci-if story so it made paid off is issues with solutions that matched the genre conventions.

In Ahsoka, I see the balance problem as follows:

The central problem for the characters is getting one group of characters from one galaxy to another galaxy to rescue their comrade. Bad guys to Thrawn. Good guys to Ezra.

On the sci-fi front, we have the bad guys using their shell company inside the New Republic to smuggle out hyperdrives to build a giant space engines to fly to the far off galaxy. There is definitely an Andor style story to be told there. With spies and traitors and clandestine missions.

On the fantasy front the same bad guys have to build a space map that needs to be put together using magic that involves space whales who naturally can do this and force magic.

So, the story is requiring people to buy both the sci-fi elements and the fantasy elements to accomplish the task which makes it feel disjointed. Crossing genres is pretty hard.

The good guys, have a conflict where the sci-fi character archetype (Space Pirate) Sabine, wants to use practical solutions to the problem. Fantasy archetype character (Space Wizard) wants to use magic the solve the problems.

Each character wants the other to be more like them. But the conflict has a genre problem in that it is generally accepted in every magic system that not everyone can use magic. So it makes Ahsoka seem unreasonable to try to make Sabine a Jedi if she has limited force abilities.

Sabine also seems unreasonable because she ignores the "wisdom" of the character who is suppose to provide "wisdom". I.E. Ahsoka is trying to teach Sabine to see the universe from a different perspective without providing a basis other than agnsty young adulthood.

So, the latest episode ends with the bad guys using space magic to make their ship go and the sci-if character makes a sci-fi choice to work with the bad guys to get on their ship. While the fantasy character ends up in a fantasy realm to presumably accomplish the same task.

So in four episodes, neither good guy character has grown. And the bad guys have to wait for computers to do math calculations off of magic that takes some amount of time for reasons.

Then the climax of the episode involves a bunch of good guy spaceships trying to stop the bad guy spaceship, but they don't use any actual space tactics. So it feels odd. How much better would it have felt if the good guys at least fired on the ship? Or the Bad guy ship fired ion beams to disable the good guy ships. Instead we got the bad guy space witch "foreseeing" they could just jump.

I just think the show would be better if they matched up problems and solutions within the same genre conventions.

Ultimately, I am intrigued by both the sci-fi and fantasy elements of Star Wars. So I am happy enough to watch both play out. But I can appreciate why others may not find it satisfying or wish for more consistency.
Madmarttigan
AG
Your post is really confusing when space magic and military sci-fi have been blended in Star Wars for 5 decades now.
redline248
AG
You raise some interesting points, and I want to add that in the OT we had a mostly sci-fi story in which 99% of the characters were with the audience in not understanding the fantasy side of things. It was mysterious for everyone, so it was easier to get down with. I think you might be onto something with the idea of opposing genres/character philosophies muddling the story a bit.

Now...
Quote:

So in four episodes, neither good guy character has grown.

I don't know if I completely agree, here. As discussed a little today, Ahsoka may have let some cracks show up in her stoic appearance. Also, there was a lingering shot of Sabine's helmet lying on the ground as she was fighting or running after the villain. I can't help but wonder if that is an indication of her moving on from (or growing past) her Mandalorian background.

The other possibility is that leaving it behind is symbolic of losing herself in her quest for Ezra. She's basically defied Ahsoka's plan/direction/orders - whatever you want to call it - twice. How often did she do that, even when disagreeing, with Hera or Kanan. (referencing Rebels, here).

I do think you are right in the sense that something has to give between the 2 differing character philosophies.
bobinator
AG
The magic stuff vs the grounded stuff is like a core thread of Star Wars. Has been since the beginning. When it's done well, it's a strength, when it's done poorly, it's a weakness.

Han and Luke had the same dynamic.
redline248
AG
bobinator said:

The magic stuff vs the grounded stuff is like a core thread of Star Wars. Has been since the beginning. When it's done well, it's a strength, when it's done poorly, it's a weakness.

Han and Luke had the same dynamic.
The difference, for me, is that dynamic was Han being like "this is nonsense." Also, he was the older, experienced one in that relationship.

Sabine is fully aware of the force and what it can do. Either the show should have never tried to have her learn to use the force, or she should have been resentful toward Ahsoka for ever trying to teach her to use it. It could have been a key character arc for Ahsoka, really.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Your post is really confusing when space magic and military sci-fi have been blended in Star Wars for 5 decades now.

Has it? I think most of the fan issues are related to the blend.

In, 4-6 there is almost zero military science fiction elements. There is no explanation on how the ships, government, logistics, tactics, or how anything works. The EU has been trying to fill this in for decades.

In Empire Strikes back, it is unclear how many days Luke spends with Yoda.

At the end of 6, the entire Empire is defeated because one giant fortress was blown up, the emperor died, and a small contingent of their army was defeated by teddy bears on a "forest moon". Why is it a moon and not a planet? Who knows. 4-6 don't explain it. 4-6 is almost pure fantasy. Things work because they work.

1-3 start blending in more military sci-fi elements such as midiclorians, trade wars, raising armies, and "bringing balance to the force" and the conflict in the fandom has been raging ever since. Heck, it wasn't until Episode 8 that it was decided a ship could ram a ship with their hyperdrive. Which then immediately called into question the main story arcs of 4-6.

Sure, maybe the blending issue pre-dates Disney, but Disney is a lot worse about it than George was in 1-3.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As far as Ahsoka's stoicism, I fully believe that it's been a very deliberate choice, as that facade is about to come crashing down now that Anakin is in the mix.

Edit: Facade is probably not the right word, as I don't think it's "false" in any way. But simply she won't have that same control over her emotions in the same way. Someone help me out with the word.
LB12Diamond
AG
I figured it was just to show her actions aligned with an experienced jedi. Even though she states she's not a Jedi. She is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.