*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,135 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
V8Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe I need to rewatch. Just kept getting evil vibes from him.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
You can add an ominous sound track to a tv show that you can't get in a book, so it could be the music talking.
jokershady
AG
The music that played with his introduction was pretty awesome
LB12Diamond
AG
How did you leave out the word.

"Inevitable"
TooTall 06
AG
I'm this way too. I never saw Thrawn as Evil…more of using the Empire as a path to order.

It seems odd that he would align with the Night Sisters and he is portrayed as having evil intentions in this show. It'll be interesting to see where they take it.
jeffk
AG
Have the Night Sisters done anything "evil?" They oppose the Jedi, but they also opposed Palpatine and Dooku back in the day.
Sea Speed
AG
Is order so bad?
Sea Speed
AG
Or rather, at what level does order become bad? I would imagine we all want order in our households. Do you live in a neighborhood with an HOA? what about a master planned community? Singapore has pretty good order and is a great country to spend time in but definitely has a heavy hand. I guess it probably boils down to whether you willingly signed up for the 'order' or not.
BQRyno
AG
This is begging for a sidebar into Jordan Peterson and chaos vs order lol
Sea Speed
AG
BQRyno said:

This is begging for a sidebar into Jordan Peterson and chaos vs order lol

I'm not familiar with his stances on that. I've not spent any time listening to him
ABATTBQ11
AG
Quote:

Freedom is a pure idea. It occurs spontaneously and without instruction. Random acts of insurrection are occurring constantly throughout the galaxy. There are whole armies, battalions that have no idea that they've already enlisted in the cause. Remember that the frontier of the Rebellion is everywhere. And even the smallest act of insurrection pushes our lines forward.

And then remember this. The Imperial need for control is so desperate because it is so unnatural. Tyranny requires constant effort. It breaks, it leaks. Authority is brittle. Oppression is the mask of fear.

I think this perfectly encapsulates it. The right amount of order is what people spontaneously default to. The kind of control desired by the Empire and Thrawn are unnatural and become oppressive because of their artificiality. There are many on the side of the Empire thinking they're doing the right thing, or at least that they're going a good thing, because understand the suffering that chaos can bring, but I think Nemik really nails the demarcation line between good, healthy order and bad, oppressive order. Freedom is spontaneous, and people will naturally self order when given freedom. When order is artificially created and forced onto people, it requires work to maintain and eventually collapses under the strain of its own attempts at self-preservation, but good, natural order does not require anything to maintain because people naturally seek it and acquiesce to it.
The Porkchop Express
jeffk said:

Have the Night Sisters done anything "evil?" They oppose the Jedi, but they also opposed Palpatine and Dooku back in the day.
They are sort of in the middle in that they are ultimately self-serving, but used the Dark Side as a tool to whatever ends is necessary to ensure their own survival, or whatever their goal is. they don't get lost in it, like Crazy Lightning Hands Shiv repeatedly did, but they're definitely willing to raise the dead, kill anyone in their way, manipulate, enslave, etc. to get to their objective.
jeffk
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

jeffk said:

They are sort of in the middle in that they are ultimately self-serving, but used the Dark Side as a tool to whatever ends is necessary to ensure their own survival, or whatever their goal is. they don't get lost in it, like Crazy Lightning Hands Shiv repeatedly did, but they're definitely willing to raise the dead, kill anyone in their way, manipulate, enslave, etc. to get to their objective.

I guess that's illustrating why I ask the question. They're just trying to practice their own unique "religion" and working to ensure their own people/culture survives. They're not out trying to conquer other worlds or bring other civilizations under their reign/control like the Sith/Empire or the Jedi/Republic. They've been cast as "baddies" but I'm only remembering them reacting to the encroachment of other groups in previous SW materials, but I haven't read a ton of the books.
The Porkchop Express
In interesting idea from the later Thrawn books is that the insinuation was there that Palpatine knew he was still loyal to the Chiss and was planning a "Come to Satan" meeting with him. After he finished wiping out the rebels on Lothaal, Thrawn was supposed to go see Palps for a "very long talk" about his future with the Empire, which was probably - either you're loyal to me or you're dead. So from a certain point of view (you're welcome), Ezra pulling the Purgil Maneuver might have saved Thrawn's life.

If you haven't read this book, it's pretty strong for tying together Rebels, this series, the OT, and Rogue One, as Thrawn is put into direct competition with Director Krennic by Tarkin for which leader will get their big military project approved. Thrawn is promoting the use of TIE Defenders - TIEs with hyperdrives, deflectors, missiles, an ion cannon, etc. and obviously Krennic had Giant Laser Ball.

This book comes right after Hera is promoted to General in the Rebel Alliance and leads a strikeforce to try and blow up Thrawn's TIE Defender factory on Lothaal. Hera gets captured by Thrawn, and then rescued by the others, although it costs Kanan his life.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TooTall 06 said:

I'm this way too. I never saw Thrawn as Evil…more of using the Empire as a path to order.

It seems odd that he would align with the Night Sisters and he is portrayed as having evil intentions in this show. It'll be interesting to see where they take it.
My impression is that Thrawn's alliance with the Great Mothers is one of mutual benefit. Clearly whatever happened in the years since the Battle of Lothal, it hasn't necessarily been kind to Thrawn when you look at the state of him, his Chimera, and troops. They're more of a means to an end but their involvement was conditional apparently.

After giving it some thought, I think we are all assuming that Ezra mentioning that they don't stay in one place too long is because of Thrawn tracking him and I think that may be part of it but the other part might be whatever Baylan is seeking. That "beginning" Baylan is seeking also might be why Thrawn wasn't present when Elsbeth arrived but on his ship.

Just spitballing though.
maroon barchetta
Why do Thrawn and the Sisters want to go back to the other galaxy?

What's wrong with trying to be Empire tyrants or mass enslavers or whatever they want to be in the Galaxy where they were banished? Is it just for revenge?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I wonder if anyone has told Thrawn the empire has fallen yet.
maroon barchetta
Only if he speaks whale.
ABATTBQ11
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Why do Thrawn and the Sisters want to go back to the other galaxy?

What's wrong with trying to be Empire tyrants or mass enslavers or whatever they want to be in the Galaxy where they were banished? Is it just for revenge?

They're not starting from scratch in the other galaxy. In the one they were banished to, all Thrawn has is a Star Destroyer and storm troopers. That's probably nothing compared to the worlds and factions that already exist there, and they're a very small fish in a very large pond. Back home, there's imperial remnants willing to rally around Thrawn and the New Republic has already been infiltrated.
redline248
AG
In Thrawn's mind it doesn't matter what has happened, as long as he is alive the Empire exists. Plus, we know the shadow council is active including Paleon (however it's spelled).

Maybe the Chimera hasn't been able to explore this new galaxy, or maybe it's desolate and that is why the nightsisters left in the 1st place.
AgDC
Well, the little turtle dudes do kinda sorta look like Bendu
The Porkchop Express
I watched it again last night. Ezra says they don't stay in one place for too long, but he doesn't say because of Thrawn, which would suggest those raiders or maybe something else.

Other 2nd time observations:

Thrawn says to Morgan Elsbeth that Jedi and Night Sisters both can imitate life and death, which would seem to be a dead giveaway to the Night Troopers.

Baylan appears to sense whatever "it is" when they are en route to the Nightsister landing platform. He sort of stops and starts and then takes a long look at Morgan Elsbeth almost like checking if she notices it too.

Thrawn was on a mission to crush the Rebellion when he got sent off to deep space. In the original books, he got exiled, although he was really doing some anti-Star Trek explore and conquer. When he returns in the books, it is to pick up where he left off, wiping out the Rebellion. I have no doubt his mindset is the same now, and I will bet money that he will call it the Rebellion instead of the New Republic at some point.
Sea Speed
AG
Good staff
maroon barchetta
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I don't think Star Wars would do this, but there's a part of me that wonders if the night troopers, Ezra and Thrawn are all dead and reanimated by the same night sister spell.

Which would force Sabine into a dilemma of letting go of Ezra to defeat Thrawn.

Yes, it's basically WW1984, but better executed.

I don't think they'll go that route, but it would force some interesting character dilemmas.
The Porkchop Express
About the only things we have left from the trailer are the shot of Thrawn walking on the Eye of Sion, Anakin's voice over from Tales of the Jedi, and Ahsoka saying "Something's coming, something dark." - I wonder if she's referring to the Night Troopers when she says that, or perhaps to whatever power Baylan is after?

Regardless I'm all in tonight for a Sabine/Ezra/Ahsoka vs. Baylan/Shin/Dark Troopers throw down!

Also probably just reading into looks too much, but when they're flying down to Peridea, Shin is looking at Sabine much differently, almost like she's baffled by the emotional choice she made. Very different from the pure hate in the first few episodes.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Also probably just reading into looks too much, but when they're flying down to Peridea, Shin is looking at Sabine much differently, almost like she's baffled by the emotional choice she made. Very different from the pure hate in the first few episodes.
I like this thought, b/c I noticed it, too, but didn't really invest any time thinking about it. These sorts of things are usually intentional, but I wonder if it will actually be explored. One of the benefits of having a script or book is getting inner monolog from characters. There is more to Shin, but with so little dialogue we may never know
KCup17
AG
I think the red thread that we saw on the storm troopers was a hint that these troopers have been reanimated by the night sisters. Guess we fine out more tonight!
The Porkchop Express

ja86
AG
only thing missing is the vespas......
KCup17
AG
So they essentially remade the Ewoks with shells
LB12Diamond
AG
Need some Forrest's to help them out!
Legal Custodian
AG
KCup17 said:

Definitely poking fun a little bit at the Ewoks handling the empire so well with rudimentary weapons.
jabberwalkie09
AG
KCup17 said:

Ewoks? They're in the trees! THEY'RE IN THE TREES!!!
The Porkchop Express
Serious concern: Who is going to take TC's place at 1 a.m. - ish and post the Hollywood-slanted review that the episode, no matter how good it was, was actually only "fine", and that it really should have catered more to people who didn't watch the animated shows?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.