*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,158 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
Yoda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May I ask, has it been established in the animated content that Ahsoka's species breathes differently than a human? She appeared to have been floating 15 feet deep in the ocean for some time.
Madmarttigan
AG
If Leia can survive space because of the force what is a little water
LB12Diamond
AG
I think she also had to accept Anikan for what he became as well to come at peace.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Yoda said:

May I ask, has it been established in the animated content that Ahsoka's species breathes differently than a human? She appeared to have been floating 15 feet deep in the ocean for some time.

I took it that Ahsoka was "phasing" in and out of the world into the World Betwen Worlds. So she was not really in the water for the entire time. Which is why Chopper and the X-Wings couldn't find her on the scanners at first.

Jacen could hear her through the Force when she was in the World between Worlds and as she choose life and phased back into our world then Chopper's sensors could find her when she appeared.

Add in some Force Coma powers. Bish bam boom she only needed to survive a few minutes in the ocean.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Yeah, I'm the books Luke can go into a super deep sleep and basically require no oxygen.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Yeah, I'm the books Luke can go into a super deep sleep and basically require no oxygen.

Yeah. I think in the original Thrawn books Luke would do this in the X-Wing so he could travel long distance on the ships limited life support.
The Porkchop Express
Dekker_Lentz said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Yeah. I think in the original Thrawn books Luke would do this in the X-Wing so he could travel long distance on the ships limited life support.
I was thinking the same thing. He's in the hibernation trance when Thrawn almost gets him in Dark Force Rising, and then he and Mara both go into a similar trance while in the water at the end of Vision of the Future - all Zahn/ Thrawn books so definitely some influence.
OKCAg2002
AG
That's a really good summary. I would add that Ahsoka seems to carry guilt associated with Anakin's fall to the dark side, too. She can't help to think that she could have prevented his path, and it was caused in part to her leaving the order.

So, in a way, she feels guilty for the entire failure of the Jedi order, rise of the Empire, and Palpatine's ascent into true power. That guilt, whether really or just assumed, would drive anyone to despair and depression.
jeffk
AG
We also got to see the first live-action use of the Force echo ability (Ashoka hearing the actions of Sabine by holding the broken map orb thingy). Prior to this, was the only instance of this skill from the Fallen Order video game series?
The Porkchop Express
And really, upon watching some of it again this morning, it really spells it out if you haven't watched her other appearances. Anakin tells her she'll die if she decides she doesn't want to fight anymore. She then watches him march on into the fog of war and sees him become Vader. It's about as strong of a metaphor as you can get - if she continues to follow his teachings, she'll end up just like he did, falling to the dark side and becoming the monster despite thinking she was right the whole time.

If we think about Empire when Luke fights the Vader apparition in the cave on Dagobah, we the audience have a lot less information about Vader's past at that point, but we know from the visuals that if Luke continues to be reckless and brings his weapons when he's told he doesn't need them, he'll turn into another Vader himself.

I haven't watched the whole thing again to confirm, but I think another key point is that after Ahoska reawakens, she doesn't mention Thrawn one time, she only talks about finding Ezra as the mission.
jabberwalkie09
AG
jeffk said:

We also got to see the first live-action use of the Force echo ability (Ashoka hearing the actions of Sabine by holding the broken map orb thingy). Prior to this, was the only instance of this skill from the Fallen Order video game series?

Ahsoka used it a bit after Sabine and Shin's initial fight on Lothal, when Ahsoka went back to the comm tower. This was a bit more in depth/detail use of that ability though imo.
jeffk
AG
Ah, yeah, forgot about that little moment earlier.
jokershady
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

jeffk said:

Ahsoka used it a bit after Sabine and Shin's initial fight on Lothal, when Ahsoka went back to the comm tower. This was a bit more in depth/detail use of that ability though imo.
if you've played the game there's a little "BING!" noise after doing this and I swear I heard that after Ashoka had completed listening to the memory
benMath08
AG
This exchange:

It could go anywhere!
I know, but it's better than going nowhere.

felt like a Dave Filoni meta commentary on Star Wars over the last decade.
KCup17
AG
I have a feeling that by the end of this season Ahsoka may take Jacen on as her Padawan.
bobinator
AG
This is the first time where I think there's really going to be a huge gap in the experience of this show for people who watched the animated shows and those that didn't.

Previously the animated shows gave some added context and background, but weren't really vital to understanding this show, but there's just no way to understand the depth of what Ahsoka has been through and thus the emotional impact of this episode without that knowledge.

That they chose to package it all in one 'Ahsoka's emotional journey' episode even sort of indicates to me that they know that.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I never watched the animated shows. However, I really enjoyed the episode. I wasn't completely lost. There was enough clues and context to wow me. Probably not at the depth of the rest of y'all, but it was still good.
bobinator
AG
This may be too philosophical and into the weeds for a day after post and maybe I should wait until like Friday during the standard "everyone fighting with cbr" period of the week, but I think there's something to be said for how they chose to portray young Ahsoka.

One thing that came through last night WAY more than it ever could in an animated show is just how young Ahsoka was when she got into this life. It's one thing to know an animated character is young, but to see her in live action looking like a child on a Clone Wars battlefield was pretty crazy.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I don't think anyone would be lost at all, i just don't think the emotional impact of the character is the same unless you've really followed her whole journey.
powerbelly
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah I don't think anyone would be lost at all, i just don't think the emotional impact of the character is the same unless you've really followed her whole journey.

Agree. I loved it, but I have watched the animated shows multiple times.
The Porkchop Express
I rewatched the scene where Jacen figures out about the waves/lightsabers. That is a really great scene that I didn't pay that much attention to the first time because I was so eager to have it shift back to Anakin/Ahsoka. Some notes:

It pushes back against the universal movie plot device of "no one listens to kid who has all the answers and is smarter than the adults." Hera initially tells him to wait, but when he mentions it's something more than what scanners could tell, she stops her convo with Carson and immediately focuses on him. She knows he's gifted and takes it seriously.

The kid's a better actor than I gave him credit for. It's hard being a Star Wars kid - Jake Loyd, Daniel Logan, etc. - and having your big feature being green hair isn't exactly doing him any favors. But he was very believable in the "use the Force scene" scene, and definitely seemed to have the power to pass what he was hearing onto Hera.

Kevin Kiner's use of the Force theme kills it when it swells up in his tone. They've used it sparingly on the Disney+ shows - when Luke pulls off his hood in Mando Season 2's finale, when Luke shows Grogu the view of the balley in BOBF, when Obi-Wan unlocks his full potential and starts beating the **** out of Vader with the rocks, I'm sure I'm missing a couple of others, but that music is like the secret sauce of Star Wars - when you put it in the right mix, it's the best thing.

Carson Teyva: Maybe the most underrated thing about this episode is his reaction to Huyyang saying, "His father was Kanan Jarrus, a Jedi Knight. He has abilities." Even though he's risking a court martial and all kinds of crap, and he's really concerned about military protocol, he IMMEDIATELY shifts gears and says "OK, let's go then." I LOVE how much the weight of a connection to the Jedi has on him. His type of character was something both the prequels and the sequels missed, a Wedge Antilles-glue guy in a supporting role to the heroes.

bobinator
AG
I read the Teyva part slightly differently though I guess the outcome is the same. I thought his reaction was supposed to be a bit of comic relief where it's like "I've been around a long time and seen some weird stuff, so sure, this makes sense."
The Porkchop Express
bobinator said:

I read the Teyva part slightly differently though I guess the outcome is the same. I thought his reaction was supposed to be a bit of comic relief where it's like "I've been around a long time and seen some weird stuff, so sure, this makes sense."
His stalling of the ships that showed up had a lot of Han Solo in the prison block vibes.
bobinator
AG
I know it's against the rules to mention the sequels but i felt "Poe talking to Hux" vibes also.
LB12Diamond
AG
I'm catching up on Clone Wars essential episodes. Where's the bikini top now a days?
bluefire579
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I'm catching up on Clone Wars essential episodes. Where's the bikini top now a days?
https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/how-old-is-ahsoka-age-star-wars-timeline-explained-2291178/

The Porkchop Express
bobinator said:

I know it's against the rules to mention the sequels but i felt "Poe talking to Hux" vibes also.
Not my rules, brother. I love the sequels, and that's a better reference than mine!
lunchbox
KCup17 said:

I have a feeling that by the end of this season Ahsoka may take Jacen on as her Padawan.
Agree.

I also think that earlier in the season, there is no way she would have hugged and thanked him like she did at the end of this episode.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
jeffk said:

I think it is also in KOTOR games. Especially KOTOR2
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good post from Reddit...

Quote:

Man, Anakin coming back for one more lesson with Snips ... and he teaches her something he learned from his SON.

Ahsoka disarms VADER, and could kill him. She could be a warrior and fight like she was taught. She could choose death.

Just like Luke on the Death Star. He's gotten angry, he's pummeling his father who has forced him to fight. Luke chops off his father's hand, and disarms him. He can choose death for his father. Luke looks at his own hand - and says no. "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." Luke chooses LIFE, and chooses to sacrifice himself rather than fight - and this brings about the return of Anakin Skywalker.

And then, Anakin Skywalker, jedi master, comes back and does his best to teach this lesson to Ahsoka. He's terrible with words. All he can do is fight. So he fights. And the moment comes, she's dueling Vader, she's disarmed Vader, she could kill him ... but she says no. She chooses life, and throws away the saber. And she watches the hatred literally disappear from her beloved sky-guy's eyes.

Incredible. I love all of this.
The Porkchop Express

Not sure how long this link will last, but had to make it.
redline248
AG
Just the f-cking coolest.
jeffk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Good post from Reddit...

Quote:

Man, Anakin coming back for one more lesson with Snips ... and he teaches her something he learned from his SON.

Ahsoka disarms VADER, and could kill him. She could be a warrior and fight like she was taught. She could choose death.

Just like Luke on the Death Star. He's gotten angry, he's pummeling his father who has forced him to fight. Luke chops off his father's hand, and disarms him. He can choose death for his father. Luke looks at his own hand - and says no. "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." Luke chooses LIFE, and chooses to sacrifice himself rather than fight - and this brings about the return of Anakin Skywalker.

And then, Anakin Skywalker, jedi master, comes back and does his best to teach this lesson to Ahsoka. He's terrible with words. All he can do is fight. So he fights. And the moment comes, she's dueling Vader, she's disarmed Vader, she could kill him ... but she says no. She chooses life, and throws away the saber. And she watches the hatred literally disappear from her beloved sky-guy's eyes.

Incredible. I love all of this.

That's pretty much what I was trying to get at earlier this morning.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I loved seeing Anakin fighting with his Vader lightsaber.

It really drives home that it was Anakin who fell to the dark side, the same Jedi we spent three movies with, and not two separate entities.
The Porkchop Express
One more. Then I probably need to close TexAgs for a while.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.