*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,137 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly what I thought of
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Alright Filoni.

The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ok so what was up with those giant statues at the end?

Baylan is straight up in Lord of the Rings, and I loved it.

I said out loud in our media room, "Spilner's going to love this" and my daughter said, "Who is Spilner?" and I was like uhhhh, it's a long story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, are we all in agreement they Baylan Skoll wins the season? Easily my favorite character in the season.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean let's be honest, Filoni was not shy with the LOTR homages. Ahsoka the White, the Eye of Scion/Sauron, the fortress being Minas Tirith, the Argonath, hell, even those zombie troopers looked like orcs under their helmets.
Flashdiaz
AG
Ezra had too hard of a time against those big troopers… why not force push them off the ledge?

Ashoka v Morgan was good as others have stated.
Interesting thought that they may have had to cut Baylans scenes since he is sadly no longer with us and can't expand on his arc much. I suspect the character will die trying to get whatever that light was and Shin will pick up where her master left off.
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So, are we all in agreement they Baylan Skoll wins the season? Easily my favorite character in the season.
Baylan might honestly be one of the best star wars characters ever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I was more disappointed that we learn absolutely nothing of what happens to Ahsoka after she and Ezra escape Palpatine in the World between Worlds. That whole gap of time is missing from right before the Battle of Lothal until she shows up in Mando. If she and Sabine were together and training when the Empire turned Mandalore into a dumpster fire, why wasn't she actively helping the Rebellion anymore?

And where was she in the Battle of Endor? How did she meet Luke?

Hopefully we get some flashbacks in S2.
jabberwalkie09
AG
This should have been a 90-95 minute episode. The fight choreography was great, probably the best on this show we have had in awhile, but the fights took up most of the run time. This felt like we were missing gaps in the story overall that could have otherwise been filled in. Baylan or Shin's story could have been expanded on more than a few seconds of scenes for them. While I think the reunion of Hera and Ezra is very much in character for Ezra, I don't know if it landed as well as it could have with more reaction from Hera.

I like the idea of nightsister magick in Star Wars and really I would have liked to have seen it it earlier in the season. Would have given it a little more depth. People have asked in the past for more force usage beyond just Jedi and Sith. Between night sister and Baylan/Shin, the series delivered.

The end of Sabine, Ahsoka, and Huyang being stuck in the other galaxy felt like the right ending. I watched on my phone so I couldn't really tell for sure, but was that Morai at the end? Perhaps, the World Between Worlds might make a future appearance…

They really give the impression that whatever is going on with Baylan's story is heavily intertwined with the gods of Mortis. Perhaps the theories surrounding Abeloth carry more weight now. However with Ray Stevenson's passing, to properly continue that story I don't see much other way forward than recasting. It's disappointing because they obviously had more story there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If they do recast Baylan, you obviously get Liam Cunningham, right?

jabberwalkie09
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I was more disappointed that we learn absolutely nothing of what happens to Ahsoka after she and Ezra escape Palpatine in the World between Worlds. That whole gap of time is missing from right before the Battle of Lothal until she shows up in Mando. If she and Sabine were together and training when the Empire turned Mandalore into a dumpster fire, why wasn't she actively helping the Rebellion anymore?

I don't think I would expect that time to be fully explained. If we get anything, probably be an info/exposition dump.
C@LAg
huge disappointment end-to-end , sprinkled with enough fan service to keep you watching.

not sure what Filoni's problem was here. He managed 4 solid seasons of Rebels, and was able to handle both the serialized and episodic nature of it to tell a good, solid story each season, and show growth across all 4 seasons.

This was not that. Very unsatisfying overall.

And yes, Liam Cunningham or Richard Dormer if they need a Baylan going forward.

wish they would stop trying to fix all the problems with the sequel trilogy with the D+ shows and just tell good stories.
wangus12
AG
I'd go Liam Cunningham or Liev Schrieber
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If they do recast Baylan, you obviously get Liam Cunningham, right?

Not big and bulky enough. Liv Schreiber makes more sense, although he's probably too famous for it.

or go full on TOlkien with Graham McTavish

wangus12
AG
Fairly disappointed in the finale.

Hate that they ended up letting Sabine have force abilities and then make her immediately powerful enough to throw Ezra across the gap. I thinking making her a Jedi out of nowhere going into this season was a big misstep.

I don't like that they used the finale as a set up episode. Too many questions and cliffhangers. The big glaring whole of how do you recast Baylon moving forward.

Just a very meh ending to the season. I really want to like, but I hate that they took a character that we've seen grow over multiple seasons of Rebels and then boom now she is force capable
wangus12
AG
That would actually be a great recast
Sea Speed
AG
That was lame. The fight between Morgan and ahsoka seems like it was in slow mo.

And this show ended the exact way it started, the new republic letting people board their vessels when they had absolutely no idea who they are. Typical government morons.
Sea Speed
AG
wangus12 said:

Fairly disappointed in the finale.

Hate that they ended up letting Sabine have force abilities and then make her immediately powerful enough to throw Ezra across the gap. I thinking making her a Jedi out of nowhere going into this season was a big misstep.

I don't like that they used the finale as a set up episode. Too many questions and cliffhangers. The big glaring whole of how do you recast Baylon moving forward.

Just a very meh ending to the season

Seriously. She goes from Lightsaber to throwing a guy 100+ feet inside of minutes. Gmafb.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Girl Jedis learn everything in 1 min. ( Sabine, Rey)

Boy Jedis take years and then turn into idiots ( Luke,Ezra)
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
gougler08
AG
So with the owl showing up we have to get world between worlds again next season / probably their way back right?
Flashdiaz
AG
Sabine having the force was a mistake. She should have been a regular that the audience could relate to.

I did like Thrawn messing with Ashoka about Anakin and his turn to the dark side.
Sea Speed
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

He is absolutely the best character. I actually liked the dynamic between him and shin. They were more likeable than basically all of the other characters in the show to me. Everyone else just seemed corny.
Mathguy64
AG
So Baylan is standing on the statue of the Father. To his side is the Son (dark side) and the statue of Daughter is broken.

The Force is out of balance.
wangus12
AG
Ahsoka is the Daughter
PatAg
AG
I think the root cause for anything that wasnt great, is as simple as leaving too much story to tell in one story. Still really enjoyed it, and agree with most of the shortcomings mentioned in regards to fight choreography and story beats hit.

I've always really liked Baylan ever since he played Titus Pullo in Rome, and its interesting the level of gravitas and nobility he brings to this role. Imo, its just a role you obviously recast, and you just have to find a way to match the casting. I dont even know that he HAS to look exactly like him, but he needs to 'feel' like the same character. If he has to visually look different to get someone with the acting chops, you do it because it sure seems like they had a lot planned for his character. If they didnt have a lot more planned, then after that ifnale I dont even know what the point was of having his charcter exist at all.

I have this series in the 'good' category and much higher above everything that isnt Andor, and season 1 and 2 of mando. I do feel like there was an opportunity to make a better show, but not disappointed either. Some great moments this season.
Urban Ag
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So Baylan is standing on the statue of the Father. To his side is the Son (dark side) and the statue of Daughter is broken.

The Force is out of balance.
the Force has been in a never ending menstrual cycle since 2015

Marsh
AG
Lots of shoutouts to LOTR. The one that caught my eye immediately was the title of the episode.

The jedi, the witch and the warlord.

AKA, Narnia. The lion the witch and the wardrobe.
jeffk
AG
I was a bit underwhelmed by the finale. Some cool moments but too many loose plot strings for my liking. I get leaving a bit of mystery for a key character as a jumping off point but there wasn't enough resolution to balance those out here. For me anyway.

Maybe they underestimated how much folks would care about Baylan and blonde multipass?
Madmarttigan
AG
Despite a lot of meh things I did tear up at the Ezra Chopper interaction, and also despite the stupidity of walking off an imperial shuttle with your helmet still on.

Also if they took out the awkward pauses between dialogue they might have had another hour to fill in story gaps.
Belton Ag
AG
jeffk said:

I was a bit underwhelmed by the finale. Some cool moments but too many loose plot strings for my liking. I get leaving a bit of mystery for a key character as a jumping off point but there wasn't enough resolution to balance those out here. For me anyway.

Maybe they underestimated how much folks would care about Baylan and blonde multipass?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Let's at least tie up some loose ends so we can get some payoff. Ezra getting home was it.

Saxsoon
AG
Except Sabine is called the biggest loser on multiple occasions and has in fact been training for 10 years
jeffk
AG
Saxsoon said:

Except Sabine is called the biggest loser on multiple occasions and has in fact been training for 10 years

And I was confused by the whole "Ashoka was worried Sabine would be evil" thing. Did she sabotage her training? Just give up on her? Or was she just not talented? Some combination of all of those? Too much happening with the "is Sabine force-attune" storyline.
wangus12
AG
Saxsoon said:

Has she? It was pretty clear at the beginning of the show that she had not been keeping up with her training in the absence of her master
jbryan10
AG
For BES and others out there, I love nod to Rebels: "the blade emitter is too narrow"
Saxsoon
AG
wangus12 said:

Saxsoon said:

Has she? It was pretty clear at the beginning of the show that she had not been keeping up with her training in the absence of her master

Trained longer than Luke's time on Dagobah

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.