*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,138 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
GreasenUSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the record, watching 5 minutes of a show and then coming to the thread full blasters blazing with over the top complaining - that is absolutely trolling.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Why are imperial uniforms sharp and tailored but new republic looks like it came freshly pressed from Walmart

Empire's got that dry cleaning budget. New Republic leans heavy into the 70s polyester and sansabelt slacks.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

https://instagr.am/p/CvnpaYtNVba
Nah, it's the desert that made you look like this. I mean, look what that desert did to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Aunt Beru as a youngster was not bad looking, but just a few years were not really kind to her by the time we catch up with her in Episode IV.
#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Staph.

maroon barchetta
ChipFTAC01 said:

Madmarttigan said:

Why are imperial uniforms sharp and tailored but new republic looks like it came freshly pressed from Walmart

Empire's got that dry cleaning budget. New Republic leans heavy into the 70s polyester and sansabelt slacks.

Andor and crew were on the "build components for the Death Star" floating prison.

Somewhere there is a make/clean/repair uniforms prison on the water. We just haven't seen it because it is boring.
maroon barchetta
The Porkchop Express said:

Madmarttigan said:

Somebody cleaned house, didn't even think it got that bad

is it though.gif
powerbelly
AG
Ray's portrayal of Baylan makes me want much more of him in books or cartoons. Something from him leaving the jedi to the show.

It also makes me sad we are only getting one season.
The Porkchop Express
It's kind of nuts how much the YouTuber named Kyle Katarn looks like the real Kyle Katarn.
The Collective
AG
Disney + feel like doing an early Ahsoka episode release for Aggie / Star Wars fans. We enjoy pain more than most.
Madmarttigan
AG
I need something to entertain me on Saturdays for the foreseeable future now, that was embarrassing. We can't even buy wins.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS
AG
So many years now of being irrationally stoked for the season, only to trade excitement for embarrassment a couple weeks in, then have to put all my entertainment hope for the coming months in movies, TV, and the Cowboys. Then the Cowboys inevitably sh*t the bed and suddenly it's down to just movies and TV again. I don't know why I even bother anymore.

All I know is episode five better deliver come Tuesday.
maroon barchetta
Have you considered the teachings of the Church of the Texas Rangers?
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

So many years now of being irrationally stoked for the season, only to trade excitement for embarrassment a couple weeks in, then have to put all my entertainment hope for the coming months in movies, TV, and the Cowboys. Then the Cowboys inevitably sh*t the bed and suddenly it's down to just movies and TV again. I don't know why I even bother anymore.

Brandon Sanderson is your friend

Journey before Destination Radiant

Shameful plug for a great fantasy novelist
redline248
AG
I'm not bailing on the season yet, but that defense better figure something out
Orome
AG
Pretty sure the 4th ideal is about Aggies
CAR96
AG
I like the show...I like the character just not as much as I enjoyed Rebels and Clone Wars. Rosario Dawson (or what ever her name is) does not play this character well in my opinion. She plays Ahsoka way to stoic and reserved almost aloof at times....very dead pan and lack of emotion.

I watch it every week and will continue to do so. I like the casting of Sabine Wren....curious to see who portrays Esra.
An L of an Ag
AG
All y'all take heart: episode 5 is supposed to be "a ****ing banger" according to my good friend and the only bigger Star Wars nerd than me that I know.

As for the Cowboys, all I gotta say is we've owned the Giants in the last few years. All we've done since last season is IMPROVE that badass defense, and get some WR help. Oh, and all those empty Zeke play calls? NOT OUR PROBLEM anymore!

Buck up folks, the future is..well..for entertainment and NFL, not too shabby!
PatAg
AG
CAR96 said:

I like the show...I like the character just not as much as I enjoyed Rebels and Clone Wars. Rosario Dawson (or what ever her name is) does not play this character well in my opinion. She plays Ahsoka way to stoic and reserved almost aloof at times....very dead pan and lack of emotion.

I watch it every week and will continue to do so. I like the casting of Sabine Wren....curious to see who portrays Esra.
I have to assume this is direction/writing of the character from Filoni, because she is too good of an actress otherwise. I'm expecting it to fall away through the course of the season, but maybe its just "now she is a jedi, so emotions are gone".
She's also generally NOT the reserved character in just about every role I remember her in, either, so it's not like it's her default setting.
The Porkchop Express
For me, it makes total sense that she's stoic. She's trapped somewhat by her decades of experience as a survivor and as someone who had gone through incredible pain. At this point in her life, the only other person in the galaxy she knows for sure follows the Jedi teachings is the son of her former Master and arguably best friend, who she walked away from, only to have him fall and betray everything she believed in, and that she thought he believed in.

She rightfully walked away from the Jedi and while she was away, her Master as a child - Plo Koon died - and her master as a teenager - Anakin - seemingly died, and the clones that were so loyal to her and had such a great relationship with her, turn on her, with Rex the only one to fight off the effects of Order 66.

She goes into hiding but she can't escape being a Jedi so eventually she gets back into the game, aligns with Bail Organa, and finds that the Jedi aren't all gone, because there is Kanan and bonafide Padawan in Ezra. They do great work together for a bit, until she realizes the monstrous truth that Anakin is still alive. She has to confront and fight him, barely escapes with her life, has to deal with Maul yet again, and then whatever happens in the WBW causes her to not be there when Kanan dies and Ezra vanishes. She feels like she's failed again.

Then it seems like she's keeping Sabine from being on Mandalore during the Purge, and has failed another friend/student. And while she's gone from the galaxy doing who knows what, Yoda and Obi-Wan and Anakin all die, and Bail Organa dies as does all of Alderaan.

I would love even a short story from Yoda or Obi or Bail's POV during the OT, haunted by their thoughts of how close they were to Palpatine, how many times they shared the room, and never realized what was going on, and what a weight that must be. Ditto for Ahsoka. It must have a Dumbledore / Tom Riddle level of guilt to it.

Baylan is right, death and destruction follow her, even when she tries to do good.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

I've never had more faith that an episode of Star Wars will deliver.

Also, boy am I glad I didn't make the drive to Miami today.
C@LAg
any of you losers get tickets to see Ahsoka episode 5 in a theater, where showing?

https://gofobo.com/main/blp/QWhzb2thTWlkU2Vhc29uRmFuQ2VsZWJyYXRpb24=
Saxsoon
AG
Orome said:

Pretty sure the 4th ideal is about Aggies
Pretty sure it is the third
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Staph.

what happened?
The Porkchop Express
Saxsoon said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Staph.

what happened?

Told in gif form - CBR's decided to cut Ahsoka to shreds for the 50th time.

In a rare moment of unity, long-term members of the board and our allies in the Outer Rim teamed up for a common cause.

It quickly escalated into a wild series of accusations and finger-pointing , and lots of statements that made no sense and you still wonder why they were in the movie thread.

I wasn't there, but i heard Palpatine just friggin' loved it.

Staff decided it was too much, and surprised us all with their FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL KILL SWITCH.

The next morning, it was like it had all just been a dream, a dream that still makes no sense 5 years later.

jokershady
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

For me, it makes total sense that she's stoic. She's trapped somewhat by her decades of experience as a survivor and as someone who had gone through incredible pain. At this point in her life, the only other person in the galaxy she knows for sure follows the Jedi teachings is the son of her former Master and arguably best friend, who she walked away from, only to have him fall and betray everything she believed in, and that she thought he believed in.

She rightfully walked away from the Jedi and while she was away, her Master as a child - Plo Koon died - and her master as a teenager - Anakin - seemingly died, and the clones that were so loyal to her and had such a great relationship with her, turn on her, with Rex the only one to fight off the effects of Order 66.

She goes into hiding but she can't escape being a Jedi so eventually she gets back into the game, aligns with Bail Organa, and finds that the Jedi aren't all gone, because there is Kanan and bonafide Padawan in Ezra. They do great work together for a bit, until she realizes the monstrous truth that Anakin is still alive. She has to confront and fight him, barely escapes with her life, has to deal with Maul yet again, and then whatever happens in the WBW causes her to not be there when Kanan dies and Ezra vanishes. She feels like she's failed again.

Then it seems like she's keeping Sabine from being on Mandalore during the Purge, and has failed another friend/student. And while she's gone from the galaxy doing who knows what, Yoda and Obi-Wan and Anakin all die, and Bail Organa dies as does all of Alderaan.

I would love even a short story from Yoda or Obi or Bail's POV during the OT, haunted by their thoughts of how close they were to Palpatine, how many times they shared the room, and never realized what was going on, and what a weight that must be. Ditto for Ahsoka. It must have a Dumbledore / Tom Riddle level of guilt to it.

Baylan is right, death and destruction follow her, even when she tries to do good.

Thats a really interesting idea and would be awesome if Andor S2 went in to this a bit.
Ornithopter
AG
Yoda going through therapy with a Qui-Gonn force ghost would be wild.
cbr
AG
Well, the cubs went what 80 years? Then they got it done. Someday. Someday the aggies, cowboys, and disney will all be good together!

Madmarttigan
AG
cbr said:

Well, the cubs went what 80 years? Then they got it done. Someday. Someday the aggies, cowboys, and disney will all be good together!

I'm pretty sure nuclear holocaust will come first
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My favorite bit in these is Qui-gon stuffing his face the whole time.
LeonardSkinner
Madmarttigan said:

cbr said:

I'm pretty sure nuclear holocaust will come first

Can we just get out over with then? One, if the nukes hit all the big cities, A&M, Tech, and Baylor might be the only FBS schools left in Texas. Two, I'd prefer that all those hours I've spent on Fallout not go to waste.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was just talking about this with a buddy of mine. I feel like a partnership between Favreau/Filoni and Gilroy would be perfect for the eventual "Avengers" movie as a capstone to the SW TV universe.

Their strengths and weaknesses complement each other perfectly. Filoni for the lore and overarching story, Gilroy for all the technical stuff and dialogue, and Favreau producing it.

All three can co-write, but have Gilroy actually direct it.

I just don't see a way that doesn't turn out great with those guys in those roles.
The Porkchop Express
In the hopes of keeping the thread's good relations going, I'm going to say upfront that I'm not trying to knock anyone for not watching Rebels or Clone Wars or anything else. This post is 100% for people like me who have consumed Star Wars media in most forms (books, comics, animation) going back three decades. I am not trying to insult or make light of any other person, just a bit of extra celebration for the ones who celebrate the galaxy's entire catalog.

I watched the last episode again this afternoon with my daughter who had missed it because she was grounded and didn't get to see it Tuesday and since she's 11, there's plenty of pause-and-explain moments for her, which is no big deal. And because she's awesome and loves a good story, she was appropriately awestruck and scared and dazzled by some of the plot points. But even though she's seen most of the movies and all of BOBF, Mando, and Obi-Wan, she's not read any books or seen more than a few episodes of Rebels, and that's the rub. The emotional connection that Star Wars builds in you over years.

And obviously it's not just Star Wars that does this. If you sat in the theater in 2008 and watched Downey Jr. close with "I am Iron Man" and then saw him do it again at the end of Endgame in 2019, you felt it. If you watched Samwise Gamgee be ever so excited to see life outside the Shire at the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring in 2001, and then so bittersweet yet grateful to return home to his family after seeing Frodo and Bilbo and Gandalf off on the ship across the sea, you get it. When I watched Spiderman: No Way Home in the theaters almost 2 years ago and saw the fantastic acting of Tobey McGuire when his eyes light up and he finishes Tom Holland's "With great power comes great possibility," it made me start crying at that powerful link-up to the 2002(?) film, which I didn't even love particularly much, but appreciate the symmetry and how true that statement is over time.

And now here's Favreau and Filoni who get what the emotional connection is for SW fans like me. Who understand there's a group of fans who makes no distinction between books and comics and TV and movies and animation. It's not for everyone. I get it. But for those of us who dove all the way in a long time ago, Mara Jade and Talon Karrde and Corran Horn and a hundred other people are just as real as Cassian Andor and Din Djarin,

Rebels was a hell of an ambitious show. It started with all original characters - a Jedi in hiding, a female Mandalorian with a troubled past, a heart-of-gold tough female pilot, a big scary monster who wasn't that scary, an insane astromech, and Space Aladdin. That was a pretty good mix, especially that moment in the opening 3 episodes where Kanan lit up his saber with the heroic flourish, but instead of telling just a whole new story of Rebellion, they were able to weave their tale into the existing cannon without it feeling too much like "Guest Star of the Week Theater."

And because it was once a week over 4 years, we kept building those connections. We got out first real glimpse of post-Order 66 life for a Jedi who avoided the Purge. We got Ezra finding a way to connect to animals through the Force. We stumbled upon Leia and Lando and the droids, and then felt the threat of Tarkin and Vader.

And on this board, we discussed who the secret Rebel agent Fulcrum might be - young Leia, Bail Organa, Wedge, Garm Bel Iblis? And we talked about Ahsoka, but surely it couldn't be Ahsoka, and then when it was her, the joy of that moment in the moment is hard to describe. I remember rushing to my computer to get on and shout about it right here on this board.

At Celebration 2015, beyond the fervor of the TFA trailer, there was one for the second season of Rebels, featuring Ian McDiarmid and James Earl Jones, and something else. If you don't think the cartoons are special to people, tune in to 1:45 of this trailer when you hear four marvelously simple words that begin a crescendo of applause.

"My name is Rex."

The big beats from there - Twilight of the Apprentice, the World between Worlds, the ending battle of Lothal, all huge events that we built up to week by week, brick by brick. Bo Katan's reappearance and the Dark Saber, the Obi-Wan vs. Maul final showdown, the rescue of Mon Mothma, all of it coloring in these big blank spaces in the lore.

Bringing in Thrawn was unbelievable, especially if you read his brilliant books back in the 1990s as you found yourself rooting for him in spite of the fact that you were solidly on the side of Luke, Han, and Leia.

And now, here they all are with life breathed into them again. And those emotional beats and little references that most people read about on Screen Rant or Twitter, those are the connective tissue that speaks to us and makes us continually feel like part of something special. In this last episode, when Carson (aka Disney+ Wedge) acknowledges Hera as Phoenix Leader, that really means something to me. When Ahsoka directly references Thrawn as "Heir to the Empire" that's a shiver down my spine that's 30+ years in the making.

Knowing that I'm going to see Thrawn and surely Gillead Pellaeon with him, in a few days or a few weeks, as real characters is just amazing. Knowing that a Sabine / Ahsoka/ Ezra / Hera reunion is coming up as well is beyond what I ever thought I'd get for those characters. I figured a Disney+ 90-minute animated movie at some point; nothing like this, with Anakin thrown in as the cherry on top.

It's the heart of Star Wars that keeps beating through that makes it all special to me, and I'm certain to some of you as well. Man, do I love this stuff.

The Collective
AG
Nm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.