*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,147 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

redline248 said:

TCTTS said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Writing: Dave Filoni is not only the showrunner, but also the sole writer of all eight episodes. This will be the first time Jon Favreau is not heavily involved in the writing of any of the New Republic-era shows, as he's only an executive producer.

On one hand, I'm nervous that they're giving yet another series to *one* writer, instead of utilizing a traditional writers' room, but at least Favreau isn't steering the ship this time, and is essentially sitting this one out.
I am a bit in the same boat as you. On one hand, I think he's earned this. At the same time he's still pretty new to live shows.

However, Ahsoka is his baby and I can't imagine a scenario where he f-cks up her story.

Yeah, hopefully the passion comes through and really focuses his writing, making up for his lack of live action showrunner experience. I'm optimistic for sure, and glad he's finally getting his big swing. It just couldn't have hurt to still let him be the showrunner, and have final authorship on all the scripts, while *also* having three or four other writers help out and to bounce ideas off of.
So there is no chance he has other writers due to interviewer stating he is the sole writer?
TCTTS
AG
I mean there's always a chance, or a story group or whatever to act as an element of quality control, but judging by how Lucasfilm lets Favrea run free and basically solo, I would assume they're doing the same here with Filoni.
Madmarttigan
AG
I've been someone who has really not felt like watching the animated stuff because it is a crap ton of material so I started watching the Ashoka essentials on clone wars then decided to watch all of rebels. I just finished season 2 and yeah while there is a lot of filler (to be expected in a snow like this) that season ending was great.

I think I'm a Filoni believer now. We might still get story fluff but he knows how to hit it when the time comes. The ending of clone wars and rebels season 2 ending were fantastic.
TCTTS
AG

maca1028
The last three episodes of clone wars is the best content outside of Rogue One and the original trilogy IMO.
cbr
AG
maca1028 said:

The last three episodes of clone wars is the best content outside of Rogue One and the original trilogy IMO.
Totally agree.
jokershady
AG
maca1028 said:

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
maca1028 said:

I would add Andor to the list.
Madmarttigan
AG
I also love how the obiwan show blatantly ripped off of the showdown at the end of season 2 of rebels (the mask breaking)
TCTTS
AG
We finally have a date...

C@LAg
i really want to be excited by this since I love Rebels (best non OT content in my opinion) and used to be a HUGE Filoni homer... but i have set my expectations really really low and hope to be pleasantly surprised
TCTTS
AG
Madmarttigan
AG
C@LAg said:

i really want to be excited by this since I love Rebels (best non OT content in my opinion) and used to be a HUGE Filoni homer... but i have set my expectations really really low and hope to be pleasantly surprised

I just burned through the Ashoka essentials and rebels and I am incredibly overhyped for Ashoka now.

My expectations are probably too high, but more excited for this than any other Star Wars right now (yes even Andor because I just don't care about that storyline)
Formerly tv1113
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Man I have high hopes for this
bluefire579
AG
I'm excited

Was Sabine said to be force sensitive in Rebels? I remember her training on using the darksaber with Kanan, but that spoke more about technique than any force training, but it has been a while, so I might just be forgetting.
Madmarttigan
AG
No force sensitivity that I recall but trained with lightsabers and dark saber
Formerly tv1113
jabberwalkie09
AG
Ray Stevenson's voice over is pretty awesome. I get that in Rebels that Kanan helped teach Sabine how to fight with a lightsaber before her duel with Gar Saxon over the Darksaber but her referring to Ahsoka as Master is.... interesting while talking about Ahsoka and Anakin's relationship as padawan and master. Then later in the trailer we have Shin saying she has no power. Did Ahsoka take over her lightsaber training? Is Sabine perhaps more tuned into the force than we thought? Are they setting her up to be the first force sensitive Mandalorian since Tarre Viszla? Lots of questions there, probably some misdirection though.

The "We are no Jedi," said by Baylon echoes back to when Ahsoka said "I am no Jedi," in Rebels.

Excited to see that it is a 2 episode premier though.
wangus12
AG
There is plenty that Ahsoka could teach Sabina and be her "Master" but I really hope they don't make her force sensitive all of sudden.
jabberwalkie09
AG
wangus12 said:

There is plenty that Ahsoka could teach Sabina and be her "Master" but I really hope they don't make her force sensitive all of sudden.
I don't think she needs to be force sensitive given how strong her character overall. However, this is something people have kicked around on social media for discussion for some time. Plus in a Filoni and Favreau interview for Mandalorian, Favreau apparently hinted at Grogu not being the first Mandalorian/Jedi mentioning Sabine by name and her being "a bit of both."

I'm leaning towards this being misdirection to generate hype for the show personally but wouldn't be surprised to find out if she has some affinity but isn't able to manipulate anything. Like being able to intuit or anticipate things beyond just having combat experience. You could argue that Chirrut Imwe had some affinity, whether it was just faith or otherwise, but was not given his martial combat skills. Given that Filoni has in the past pulled from EU/Legends continuity, I'm sure there's some ideas for him to draw from for this. The Inquisitors, TIE Defender, and Thrawn are examples that were not in canon until Rebels but did exist in Legends.

Though, that doesn't mean it has been done or is received well. The reaction by fans of the Zahn novels to Thrawn in Rebels, which I admittedly have not read, being one of them.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Am I the only person having a hard time not seeing Blue Elon Musk?

redline248
AG
Ok, so we have a former Jedi temple guard that became grand inquisitor and now this Baylon guy appears to also be a former Jedi? How did these people escape Order 66? Not just survive, but become aligned with the Empire.

I don't remember if a similar conversation was had when Rebels was going. Maybe this is the first time I've thought about it.

Anyway, I'm excited for this show so much.
jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248 said:

Ok, so we have a former Jedi temple guard that became grand inquisitor and now this Baylon guy appears to also be a former Jedi? How did these people escape Order 66? Not just survive, but become aligned with the Empire.

I don't remember if a similar conversation was had when Rebels was going. Maybe this is the first time I've thought about it.

Anyway, I'm excited for this show so much.
I can't really remember all the reasons but some of the survivors were tortured/given little choice to become inquisitors. I think quite a few of the inquisitors in Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor were former Jedi. Some who survived had left the Order before the purge as well but some of these would come to work for the Empire due to disastisfaction with the Jedi like The Grand Inquisitor (from I recall anwyays). Some others like Quinlan Vos basically disappeared.

I think people had conversations in other forums regarding survivors of Order 66 but I don't remember if we discussed it here on TexAgs. Jedi surviving the purge who were off planet or sent to distant planets on special missions is pretty reasonable IMO. Though at the time of Rebels the pool of Jedi who had survived the purge was much smaller than what we have now. Even though some of those survivors were hunted down by either inquisitors or Vader himself.

At least for Ahsoka we've been shown her story over the years so we can understand how she ended up where she did to some degree.
Garrelli 5000
AG
F me I can't keep up w/all of the canon. Same with all of the MCU stuff. We made it a mission to watch all of the MCU movies at some point in Covid using a recommended/at or near chronological order.

My old brain can't keep up.

I often say "Just do it again - start at the beginning" but damn that means I need to watch Attack of the Clones again? We also haven't done any of the side cartoons.

We'll still watch this of course. I pretty much have to treat things as a 1 off in the galaxy at this point and not worry how it all fits together.
Staff - take out the trash.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, they've had to continually ret-con the events of Order 66 because "there are no more Jedi" leaves them with very few stories to tell. So now we have some younglings/apprentices that were captured and turned to the dark side, we have some older Jedi who escaped or were in deep cover and weren't killed, we have others who took a long time to hunt down, etc.
Flashdiaz
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, they've had to continually ret-con the events of Order 66 because "there are no more Jedi" leaves them with very few stories to tell. So now we have some younglings/apprentices that were captured and turned to the dark side, we have some older Jedi who escaped or were in deep cover and weren't killed, we have others who took a long time to hunt down, etc.

Seems like it would be a good show to actually see Vader hunting down Jedi. Admittingly sounds depressing since there's no good guy hero but it would be interesting.
ChipFTAC01
AG
When is Ahsoka supposed to be set? After Rebels and before Rogue One?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

F me I can't keep up w/all of the canon. Same with all of the MCU stuff. We made it a mission to watch all of the MCU movies at some point in Covid using a recommended/at or near chronological order.

My old brain can't keep up.

I often say "Just do it again - start at the beginning" but damn that means I need to watch Attack of the Clones again? We also haven't done any of the side cartoons.

We'll still watch this of course. I pretty much have to treat things as a 1 off in the galaxy at this point and not worry how it all fits together.
If you're intested in diving deeper into the world outside of the movies and live action shows, TCW and Rebels I believe are on Disney+. There used to be a suggestion lsit for Ahsoka essential episodes. Not really sure those will be required viewing though (Filoni has said they're not). TCW honestly changed how I viewed Anakin Skywalker in III though.

Though if you have a good enough understanding of the Star Wars galaxy throughout the movies, I think you're pretty good to piece things together. TCW does do a bit of a little bit of a recap of what is going on so you wouldn't be completely out of the loop. I thought that the movies can generally be viewed by themselves without any understanding of the TV shows. The TV shows are largely just building out the universe with the exception of Rogue One that fed directly into IV.

That being said, we know that Mandalorian and Ahsoka will be leading to an eventual movie. Knowing the backstory of Bo-Katan and Ahsoka definitely helped bridge some stuff for me in Mando but I thought Ahsoka's introduction in season 3 was fine.
bobinator
AG
No, as timelines go this one is actually fairly easy, it's the most recent thing except for the sequel trilogy. Though I imagine it runs somewhat concurrently to season 3 of The Mandalorian.

Edit: I should probably clarify this, because there's probably a decent chance this show starts in the past. However, I would expect that the main arc of the plot (anything involving Thrawn/Ezra) is taking place around the same time as Mando S3.
jabberwalkie09
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

When is Ahsoka supposed to be set? After Rebels and before Rogue One?
Around the same time as Mandalorian, post Endor. I don't remember the exact amount of time post Endor.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Flashdiaz said:

jeffk said:

Seems like it would be a good show to actually see Vader hunting down Jedi. Admittingly sounds depressing since there's no good guy hero but it would be interesting.
This is what a lot of people were asking for after we saw Vader's hall scene in Rogue One when he boarded the Profundity.
bobinator
AG
Every episode is basically the gay couple episode of The Last of Us. We start with a different Jedi on the run and eventually see how they die. Every episode just brutally depressing. This is def what the Star Wars fandom needs.
jabberwalkie09
AG
bobinator said:

Every episode is basically the gay couple episode of The Last of Us. We start with a different Jedi on the run and eventually see how they die. Every episode just brutally depressing. This is def what the Star Wars fandom needs.
LOL... I skipped on the tv show for that but have read enough to understand the reference. I just don't see the longevity to it unless you wanted to show Vader trying to fully close himself off after III but I think that has been shown in the comics already.

Ironically, Andor seemed to be the non-force user show that the people were looking for. Granted we already know how the title character's journey ends but it's been interesting to see the journey. IMO this shows that there is enough interest to showing the larger galaxy and the struggle of non-force users plight and fight against the Empire. Lucasfilm just has to come up with something equally as interesting to make it work. But the attempt with Resistance was not it IMO.
bobinator
AG
Without getting into the same arguments about why some of the Star Wars shows/movies have failed, I think there's interest for any kind of show that's good. I think there's too much excuse-making for what is ultimately just bad writing and directing when these shows fail.

Watching Andor just makes you furious about everything else that's been attempted not even being in the same ballpark.
jeffk
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Flashdiaz said:

jeffk said:

This is what a lot of people were asking for after we saw Vader's hall scene in Rogue One when he boarded the Profundity.

And we actually get some of that in the two Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor games that came out. Vader and his inquisitors are pretty badass.
redline248
AG
jeffk said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Flashdiaz said:

jeffk said:

And we actually get some of that in the two Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor games that came out. Vader and his inquisitors are pretty badass.
Which is why it is awesome every time Ahsoka takes one down. An episode of Rebels, and then an Episode of Tales of the Jedi

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.