*****Star Wars: Ahsoka*****

171,165 Views | 2193 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by double aught
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lots of World Between Worlds symbols in both episodes.
TXAG 05
AG
Both episodes were great. Can't wait to see where this goes. Just hope the Eye of Scion isn't another Death Star type weapon.
Madmarttigan
AG
So all of this Ashoka/Sabine stuff happened somewhere between rebels and now right?

Solid start but they could have explained this whole tension between those two a little better. Also feels like they are making up Mumbo jumbo about another alien race to find a convenient way to locate thrawn.

Thrawn was teleported out by purgils to a completely random location how would any ancient map know where the hell he went?
Formerly tv1113
Saxsoon
AG
Purgills were studied very closely to develop the hyperspace lines. Not saying one way of the other but maybe the situation around the Battle of Lothal led to a specific hyperspace line to a new galaxy the nightsisters mapped
gougler08
AG
This was the complete opposite of most of the Star Wars shows put out recently, which is great news. Loved it with all the ties back to Rebels and excited to see where it goes
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah I'm fine if that's the case just give a better explanation than ancient race jibberish. If purgils can be tracked or have a known nesting ground in other galaxies it's far more understandable.

Feels like the sith wayfinder garbage from the sequels again. As a casual Star Wars fan who just watches movies and shows I have no idea what the Nightsisters are and it feels a little out of place like they are making up random stuff to move the story along.
Formerly tv1113
Mathguy64
AG
This was night and day over BoBF and Obi Wan.

So did they rebuild the Phantom?
Sq1dvm
AG
Solid start. I was surprisingly jacked about the live action lothcat, homey was cool.
The Porkchop Express
Madmarttigan said:

Yeah I'm fine if that's the case just give a better explanation than ancient race jibberish. If purgils can be tracked or have a known nesting ground in other galaxies it's far more understandable.

Feels like the sith wayfinder garbage from the sequels again. As a casual Star Wars fan who just watches movies and shows I have no idea what the Nightsisters are and it feels a little out of place like they are making up random stuff to move the story along.

The nightsisters were introduced in a book in 1994 and have been a consistent presence in books, games, and the clone wars cartoon over the last few decades. Maul is from Dathomir among others.

The ancient race is possibly the Rakatans who feature heavily in KOTOR games, comics and books. There is a reference to them in Andor as well. The Star map that Sabine opens is a direct reference to the first KOTOR game and its subsequent ancillary media.
themadmatter
I don't remember Sabine being that bratty in Rebels. She got worse as she grew older?

Small family vibe: aloof Dad (Ashoka), let's all get along Mom (Hera), the difficult child (Sabine), and wise Grandpa (Ashoka's droid).

My wife's reaction: "this show is kinda girly."

Loved the scenery and action scenes.
Madmarttigan
AG
I mean I hate to nitpick I really enjoyed the episodes but how would they be involved in tracking thrawn if he was sent into hyperspace to a random location? Just assume the Nightsisters knew purgil travel patterns?
Formerly tv1113
jabberwalkie09
AG
The number of themes call backs in musical themes is stunning. I think Kevin Kiner has possibly present us one of the more solid musical performances in recent canon.

It seems pretty obvious to me that this series isn't going to be about trying to find Thrawn or avert a war for the characters from Rebels but finding Ezra. Hera basically stated that she had expected Ezra to be dead but she was already to go searching for him at the of Rebels. A bit of an odd shift that she apparently just gave up on him being alive. I'm sure that we will find out that the Inquisitor is someone we have met before.
The Porkchop Express
Madmarttigan said:

I mean I hate to nitpick I really enjoyed the episodes but how would they be involved in tracking thrawn if he was sent into hyperspace to a random location? Just assume the Nightsisters knew purgil travel patterns?

Well it sounds like Thrawn has managed to communicate with Morgan Elsbeth somehow and she knows that that the Nightsisters had some sort of ancient way of charting paths between galaxies. The purgils haven't been mentioned in this show at all so far.
Mathguy64
AG
My only quibble is Ahsoka is too laid back. By the time CW ends and the last short we see her in she is decisive and energetic. And Hera needs to be a bit "wider".
jabberwalkie09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

This was night and day over BoBF and Obi Wan.

So did they rebuild the Phantom?

This is the Separatist shuttle I think which was the Phantom II. We haven't seen the Ghost yet so they're saving that obviously.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

My only quibble is Ahsoka is too laid back. By the time CW ends and the last short we see her in she is decisive and energetic. And Hera needs to be a bit "wider".

But her recklessness also landed her in some tight spots. Even in Rebels she was more pragmatic. Perhaps after Ezra pulled her back and saved her with the help of the World Between Worlds she became more methodical?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ahsoka's T6 reminded me of an episode of either TCW or Rebels where the protagonists go visit some reclusive starfighter designer who has developed some super badass prototype ship. Any idea what episode/ship that was that I'm remembering?
The Porkchop Express
Mathguy64 said:

I had the exact opposite reaction, I thought she was behaving the way I think a true Jedi would, doing lots of observing and letting everyone else talk while she lays back. It reminded me of Alec Guinness in the original film - sort of seeing what all happens before deciding to say anything.
cbr
AG
Holy **** the opening scenes are so bad they look like a Saturday night live skit. Maybe just because my stream keeps locking up, but the set of that repub ship looked like a high school play, and that crew looks like they found janitorial staff of a motel 6 and gave them 24 hours to make their own costumes out of the drapes and practice acting.

They even cheaped out on the special effects and saber cuts.

Off to the weakest start ever. Hopefully the plot and main characters turn in a good performance. I'll have plenty of time to think about it while my little Disney 'doing nothing' circle keeps spinning.

Update- the rest is very much rebels. Pretty good and the cheap **** faded.

I was never as huge a rebels fan, but then again it was more of an afternoon kids/teen show and a good one, but I am not that audience anymore.

For that tone it is well cast and good entertainment
redline248
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Ahsoka's T6 reminded me of an episode of either TCW or Rebels where the protagonists go visit some reclusive starfighter designer who has developed some super badass prototype ship. Any idea what episode/ship that was that I'm remembering?
Rebels episode they go get the B-Wing fighters, I don't know which season or the name of the ep
wangus12
AG
Damn that's more like it compared to the other recent SW shows. Lots of callbacks across the board.

Very curious to see what they do with the Ahsoka-Sabine Master-Padawan relationship. She never showed any force sensitivity that I recall and i hope it stays that way. The Droid also said she was incredibly lacking when compared to other young lines he'd seen.

Also they better show an HK show up and kick ass as some point. Also needs to say meatbags.

I like the rogue Jedi so far. Curious to hear more back story there
Madmarttigan
AG
The costumes were cheap looking but what the hell are you talking about on special effects, thought it was great and thought the opening of them slaughtering the ship was great.

You are on crack. Looked better than every marvel show cgi by a mile.
Formerly tv1113
redline248
AG
Man, I don't know how many times I caught myself saying "this is amazing." All the stuff from Rebels in live action. I'm just blown away and giddy over it.

I think the actress playing Sabine has nailed the character and the mannerisms. It's incredible. Hera is pretty good but seems maybe a little too optimistic/perky, or something. It's been a while since I've watched a lot of Rebels, and I do remember her usually being the one to do the smoothing between characters...but maybe not as upbeat all the time? IDK, not a huge deal, just a thought.

Chopper going "shoot it down!" and then when Hera says it'll crash into the city he 100% said "so?"

This show is off to a roaring start
ChipFTAC01
AG
redline248 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Rebels episode they go get the B-Wing fighters, I don't know which season or the name of the ep

I thought it was a b wing (which is why the t6 reminded me of it). Thanks.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mathguy64 said:

I had the exact opposite reaction, I thought she was behaving the way I think a true Jedi would, doing lots of observing and letting everyone else talk while she lays back. It reminded me of Alec Guinness in the original film - sort of seeing what all happens before deciding to say anything.
I am in agreement here. The wiser, completely in control of the situation Jedi. She's been through and seen a lot. Casually taking out that droid in Sabine's Ezra's tower and saying she hoped it was still there was pretty classic Ahsoka, too.
The Porkchop Express
Best cameo of the night was Clancy Brown, reprising his voice actor role from Rebels as Rtder Azadi, former (and apparently future) Governor of Lothal.In the animated show, he's the one who reveals to Ezra that his parents had died fighting the Empire and also has dealings with a teenage Princess Leia at one point.

This is Clancy Brown's 4th appearance in Star Wars media. The animated character looked pretty much like Clancy Brown, so that was easy enough.

He was also Burg he giant Twilek in the Prison Ship episode of Mando Season 1

and way back, he was the voice of a Mandalorian named Montross, Jango Fett's chief rival in the game Jango Fett for PS2 that I played 60 million times.

That game has a fantastic blooper reel featuring Clancy Brown complaining that if George Lucas would have made the prequels right after the OT, that he would have been perfect for Anakin.

redline248
AG
Quote:

I like the rogue Jedi so far. Curious to hear more back story there
Yeah, so I wonder if he went into the service of Palpatine, or just stayed hidden and became a mercenary of sorts. Seems like Vader wouldn't have put up with a sort of Jedi running around.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Although you counted it, you didn't me tion that he was the voice for Savage Opress.
redline248
AG
Some final thoughts about some of the earlier discussion.

I doubt the Scion thing is a weapon. It reminds me of the hyperspace rings the Jedi starfighters needed to hop around the galaxy (the thing Obi-Wan docks with in Episode 2 to go to Kamino). Since it's so big, my guess is it's going to make a Stargate hyperspace gateway connecting the galaxies.

As to why they have a map...it's possible that the race from An Even Longer Time Ago came to the Star Wars galaxy and left their maps around, and the nightsisters found one along the way. I don't think they are particularly important to anything other than giving Morgan an interesting backstory. A way to explain her Force power without having her be another Jedi survivor or something. I would be surprised if we get any explanation of the map or about purgils, either.

Here's a question for everyone to ponder. What was Morgan doing on that planet in Mando if it wasn't tracking down that map? Like, she waits to get broken out of jail to go get it when she knew where it was all the time?
The Porkchop Express
ChipFTAC01 said:

Although you counted it, you didn't me tion that he was the voice for Savage Opress.
Good callback, I totally forgot that part. That guy is all kinds of awesome.

ALthough Savage Opress might not be the dumbest of all dumb STar Wars names
wangus12
AG

Madmarttigan said:

The nightsisters were introduced in a book in 1994 and have been a consistent presence in books, games, and the clone wars cartoon over the last few decades. Maul is from Dathomir among others.

The ancient race is possibly the Rakatans who feature heavily in KOTOR games, comics and books. There is a reference to them in Andor as well. The Star map that Sabine opens is a direct reference to the first KOTOR game and its subsequent ancillary media.

What if they pull in the Yuuzhan Vong has the race in the other galaxy
wangus12
AG
It's definitely a giant hyperspace ring.
The Porkchop Express
Couple of more deep cuts / references

The ship they're building is the Eye of Sion

Darth Sion was one of many Sith Lords in KOTOR II, seen here looking gross. He is already dead in the game but rises from the dead through the power of the Dark Side or something like that. That game was kind of all over the place.

There have been a lot of "Eye of" things in Star Wars lately, in the Vader comics and especially in the High Republic stuff with the Nihl.
The Porkchop Express
wangus12 said:

Madmarttigan said:

What if they pull in the Yuuzhan Vong has the race in the other galaxy
Wasn't Thrawn's whole problem with the Chiss that he was preparing for a Vong invasion (aka the Far Outsiders?)
redline248
AG
Ok, so this show is like 5 years after Jedi, right? We can't get something like the Vong in this show, b/c here pretty quick the dumbass New Republic starts disarming the military

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.