Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Ski Season 2023 - 2024 ***

223,176 Views | 2446 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by RangerRick9211
smstork1007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
likely this one https://www.virtika.com/product/signature-jacket-backwoods/
JustPanda
AG
Virtika. Amazing w sleeves that zip off to turn it into a vest. Super warm.
JustPanda
AG
That's it!
Pahdz
Do all their jackets have that feature? I may have you buying me bibs AND a jacket for myself next year
JustPanda
AG
Yup. One of the best features.
Pahdz
BIG vest guy up here in MN
LRHF
AG
I want to know about the mini bar Panda is packing!
JustPanda
AG
Some new SICK setups that just came into the store.

Rossignol: Sender 104ti 186 on Look Pivot 15 Raw. $819 lower than MSRP + free binding mount

They've been out for 20 minutes and already have probs 1/2 a dozen compliments. SUCH A SICK SETUP.

Black Crows Atris 184 (105 waist) w Look Pivot 15 Forza. $818 off MSRP. LOVE the color combo between the bindings and the top sheet.

JustPanda
AG
Rumchada Coco and Bailey's first chair.
Hamms Second Chair
Jameson 3rd or 4th
Another Hamms for when I'm thirsty
Another Baileys on reserve if the day progresses and needs another kick.
Jock 07
AG
Ha, I used to pack a few cans of beer and would stick one in the show and then go rip a couple runs. I'd come back and it'd be nice and cold. Usually would do this near where the resorts had the beach chairs set up and I'd go hang out and drink a beer and eat my kind bar lunch.
JustPanda
AG
You can fit an egregious amount of booze in these jackets

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0JndmVuDpQ/?igsh=NmJiYWZiY2E0Mg==
jpb1999
AG
WC is reporting 24" in the last 24 hours. Still snowing and I think supposed to snow all night again.

How is everywhere else doing?
MAS444
AG
Looks like Telluride has only had an inch or two in last 24 - but it's been snowing pretty good for the last few hours and will supposedly pile up over the next day or so.
CavitationAG
AG
MAS444 said:

Looks like Telluride has only had an inch or two in last 24 - but it's been snowing pretty good for the last few hours and will supposedly pile up over the next day or so.
Yeah webcams at Telluride and Purg look like they're both getting dumped on pretty well right now.
JustPanda
AG
Finishing my shift and I'll post a report. Southern Colorado is getting slammed. Wife is in Ridgway and says it isn't snowing but WC is getting crushed. Curious on Purgatory.

Edit to add: Sneffels is catching snow. Supposed to snow all night into tomorrow. And then Tuesday night - next Monday morning. Hope she gets home…
RangerRick9211
AG
CREAg87 said:

I'll be staying in Hood River on Wednesday night. Looks like it has a ton of restaurants and breweries to choose from. Any favorites?

If coming from PDX, Thunder Island Brewing in Cascade Locks or Sugarpine Drive-In in Troutdale are awesome.

In HR, Pfriem and Ferment are heavy brewery hitters and both on the waterfront (if you have kidos, Pfriem has a to-go window so you can brew while your kids play at the waterfront park). Broder Soder in the Hood River Hotel for brunch.

Celilo for schwank.

Cross the river to White Salmon, WA for Henni's cocktails or Everybody's Brewery.

Solera Brewery is a cool one off 35 in Parkdale on the way to Meadows.

Meadows owns a small, single lift hill called Cooper Spur. 15 min from Hood River Meadows and the Crooked Tree Tavern is pretty awesome for the deep snow, mountain log cabin vibe. Really cool skinning from there too if you're into backcountry (Tilly Jane A-Frame).

Speaking of Hood River Meadows (HRM), you coming from HR is the hero move. Park there and take the HRM up. Closer and less lines compared to the main / Sunrise lots and you feed straight into Star/Heather/Private Reserve.
maroonpivo
AG
Need a new neck gaiter for a female- what's the best?
JustPanda
AG
Phunkshun or Locale are my favorites
C@LAg
NWS issued rare blizzard warning for Cascades for the next 48 hours.
RangerRick9211
AG
Wacky week. We've got the bomb cyclone hammering Vancouver Island and a tight gradient across WA/OR + cold air. My house is 60mph peak winds on Tuesday.

And then the Arctic air gets here. We'll see, but Meadows had 26" this weekend and 3-4' forecasted by Friday. Add 80mph winds and we'll see what spins early this week.
C@LAg
Looking forward to Tues and then Thurs.

Both the European and GFS models are converging that there is going to be some good surprises (cold, chill, maybe snow even in the metros) all across the areas, both lower and higher elevations.

RangerRick9211
AG
Where abouts are you? User leads CA, but you mention Cascades, NorCal?
C@LAg
RangerRick9211 said:

Where abouts are you? User leads CA, but you mention Cascades, NorCal?
seattle (C-@-L)
RangerRick9211
AG
Dope, got it now. I office at 5th and Pike. Take the train up once a month.

You guys have a better chance than us with metro snow. Good luck!
JustPanda
AG
Here's a really good chart for ski widths across conditions along w ski length by ski type and ability level along with a description of what I keep talking about w turn radiuses and ski profiles.

I thought you guys would find them interesting.

I'm 172.8 cm and my all mountain skis are 181s, my middle all mountain POW set is a 184, and my POW setup is a 188. So that's charts pretty damn accurate.

Edited to add: for the side cut, when it uses hourglass, you can substitute parabolic if you remember those days. More parabolic, tighter TR, less parabolic = longer.
JustPanda
AG
Roads in Glenwood are slicker than owl ***** Be careful driving out there today. 18mph winds expected today in Vail as the next system starts to move in for tomorrow afternoon/night.

Snow totals across the state are increasing. Sumco expected 15 over 10 (both hills)

Eagle CO - 27 over 10

Snowmass - 22 over 10

Telly & Purg: 29 over 10

WC: 34!

SS: 48!

So yeah Sumco needs it bad and Eagle does too after skiing yesterday. BUT, should be back to average after this storm or below for Sumco but way less below:

Steamboats ripping, WC, ripping, Sun Juan's doing there thing.

Hopefully we can build on this on 70 corridor because we still need 3-4ft in spots but this will help fill things in after the snow received the last 5 days. We were saying we needed 2-3 2-3ft dumps and this is shaping up as two of those for Eagle county and like 1-1.5 for Sumco. So, big help but some more would be great.
MAS444
AG
Very helpful and timely for me as I'm planning on buying my first skis this year in Telluride. Any advice or recommendations? I'm 6'1 and a very intermediate skier. I mainly ski blue groomers but would like to possibly push it just a little bit as I start to ski more (didn't really ski growing up)....and try to keep up with our kids as they pass us up (we started them very early). This will be my only pair of skis for now so will use them in powder, ice, etc...whatever the conditions may be. But will mainly be used in Telluride and nearby.

Any recs on brands, models, size, shape, etc.?

Will be purchasing at Bootdoctors/Christies in MV.
txam92
AG
JustPanda said:

Here's a really good chart for ski widths across conditions along w ski length by ski type and ability level along with a description of what I keep talking about w turn radiuses and ski profiles.

I thought you guys would find them interesting.

I'm 172.8 cm and my all mountain skis are 181s, my middle all mountain POW set is a 184, and my POW setup is a 188. So that's charts pretty damn accurate.

Edited to add: for the side cut, when it uses hourglass, you can substitute parabolic if you remember those days. More parabolic, tighter TR, less parabolic = longer.
Thanks for posting. This is very helpful.
LRHF
AG
Good morning! This is from my place overlooking the Animas just North of Durango. Hard to keep track of the total snow with compaction but pretty sure we've had 18" from this storm.

Schools are closed today and working to see what time wife wants to open our small business (if at all). Lots more snow blowing to be done!

MAS444
AG
Nice! Yall've got a ton more than Telluride has just up the road. Crazy how that works.
LRHF
AG
MAS444 said:

Nice! Yall've got a ton more than Telluride has just up the road. Crazy how that works.

I think the main snowbands missed us. It snowed all day and last night but very small crystals. Radar didn't snow any moisture…. I think These clouds just parked on top of us and puked all night.
JustPanda
AG
Boot Drs! Love them! Let me think on that one. Those are my guys.

Back of the envelope I'd say a partial TT anywhere from 174-180.
rather be fishing
AG
JP, any more thoughts on those goggles?
MAS444
AG
What does TT mean?
h1ag
AG
MAS444 said:

Very helpful and timely for me as I'm planning on buying my first skis this year in Telluride. Any advice or recommendations? I'm 6'1 and a very intermediate skier. I mainly ski blue groomers but would like to possibly push it just a little bit as I start to ski more (didn't really ski growing up)....and try to keep up with our kids as they pass us up (we started them very early). This will be my only pair of skis for now so will use them in powder, ice, etc...whatever the conditions may be. But will mainly be used in Telluride and nearby.

Any recs on brands, models, size, shape, etc.?

Will be purchasing at Bootdoctors/Christies in MV.
My old man yells at clouds soapbox for one second: all ski marketing nowadays says bigger is better. People who ski once every other year getting pushed into big mountain, great fat powder skis, and I'd venture to guess that at least 75% of the people I know and see on mountain have skis for the conditions they want rather than what they actually see. The other 25% are race kids.

My daily driver is a 76 waist, and I can take those into any terrain I know I hit, including trees and some limited side country. I take them out west, and if we get a massive dump, I just know I'll demo something fat for that day.

My first skis were awesome when I was just about in your category, and about your height: Rossignol Experience 88s. If you end up riding a lot, you'll get to the point where you'll want more of a hard-charger, but maybe not if you're going out occasionally, zooming around the front side with family.

Personally, I think 93 is about as wide as you want if you're sticking to groomers and maybe other conditions now and again. I've demoed the Head Kores, Nordica Enforcers, Volkl Mantras that are all really highly thought of in that 93 category, and they were all fun and a little different in their own ways.

Disclaimer: I'm an east coast mogul enthusiast (masochist anyone?), I look at most ungroomed, chopped up stuff as bump practice, and I detune the back 1/3 of my skis to get the tail release I want. The conditions and 21M turn radius are mitigated by my personal style preference and ski set up. It's probably a safe bet that my background is definitely more front-side focused than the folks here huckin double backflips off big cliffs in Little Cottonwood Canyon (although I am super jealous of them).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.