***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,354 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed with TCTTS above, that it a pretty rapid turnaround.

They must have put Part 1 & 2 production timing, contract work, and script etc. all into a plan that was:

Part 1 - Certain
Option Part 2 - everything to be done pre-filming; and company will exercise continuation option based on performance of Part 1

Everyone committed to Part 1 and the Option for Part 2 as a contingency of success.

They got the green light now, and they can begin as soon as practicable.
HalifaxAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Just FYI, Dune leaves HBO Max this weekend. It sounds like it'll be available until end of day, Sunday the 21st, at 11:59 PM Pacific. And it won't be available to watch again at home - via digital rental (not HBO Max), digital purchase, or Blu-ray - until some point in January 2022 or so. Maybe late December. So get your rewatches in while you can...
It's the first movie in a while that I will consider buying
Cromagnum
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, I actually thought the exact opposite. This is an insane, record turnaround between franchise movies shot by the same director, that didn't shoot back-to-back/at the same time. To be able to release the Skywalker saga sequel trilogy movies at a two-year pace, they had to rotate directors and have one prepping the next movie while the other was being edited. So I'm still going to be pleasantly surprised if WB/Villeneuve actually make that October '23 release date, and it doesn't get pushed back to, say, summer '24.

swimmerbabe11
I feel like they didn't establish how much everyone trusted Yueh at first.. and they definitely didn't establish the distrust of Jessica among the council. ...which will be interesting how they use that going forward
Duncan Idaho
Agree that the shock of the Yueh betrayal wasn't conveyed well.

The Jessica thing, that don't know how they could have fit it in. Especially since they cut down the pre-invasion timeframe.
TCTTS
AG
Bird Poo
AG
If the Harkonens promised the Bene Geserit to not harm Paul and Jessica, why did they set up the hunter seeker to kill Paul?

Towards the end of the movie, why did Jessica sniff Stilgar's head when she had her blade to his throat? Was she using her Bene training to determine if he was sincere?

Just a couple of plot issues I noticed with the movie.
Sea Speed
AG
the harkonens promised not to kill paul and his mom after the hunter seeker thing. the guy with the drone had been in the wall like 6 weeks or something, and was left there when they vacated the planet. it was a booby trap so to speak. When the attack was being discussed was when they promised not to kill paul and jessica.

This is what i recall from one viewing, so others can tell me if that is indeed correct.
Quad Dog
AG
The Harkonens assumed the Hunter-seeker would fail. They knew the Duke expected a few traps, so they gave him some minor ones to appease his suspicions and distract him from the real upcoming trap.
TCTTS
AG
January 11, 2022

YouBet
AG
I missed my HBO Max rewatch. This will be the first Blu-ray I've purchased in probably almost 10 years.
schmendeler
AG
Do I buy this or wait for the epic combo pack in two years?
YouBet
AG
That lists Blu-ray separately from 4K. Is there a difference now? I just assumed all new blu-rays were automatically 4K by default now?
schmendeler
AG
Blu-ray is 1080p by default.
TCTTS
AG
"Blu-ray" is the 1080p version, usually paired with the DVD version in the same packaging.

"Ultra HD Blu-Ray" is the 4K version, usually paired with Blu-ray version in the same packaging.
YouBet
AG
Tells you how long it's been since I purchased one. Thanks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
How's the box office outlook for thanksgiving look for Dune?
TombstoneTex
AG
http://dlvr.it/SD6vfC?fbclid=IwAR374dNB6qj9PswH5E-TaoziKoUvleflZmAeT1m3KCjzy2ehWYbcAGdyROk

Looks like we'll get another shot to see dune in imax!
Scotts Tot
AG
I'm sure the visuals of this movie has already been discussed at length on this thread. I know that as a photographer, I left the movie thinking it was one of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen. This video came up on my YouTube feed and thought it was worth a share for anyone interested in this aspect of the movie.

MASAXET
AG
Scotts Tot said:

I'm sure the visuals of this movie has already been discussed at length on this thread. I know that as a photographer, I left the movie thinking it was one of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen. This video came up on my YouTube feed and thought it was worth a share for anyone interested in this aspect of the movie.

Thanks for sharing. This put into words and described what I have been unable to articulate to people about the visuals of the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Well this sucks. No IMAX aspect ratio, at least for this initial release. Hopefully down the line, on a special edition, before the sequel hits...

Quote:

While we're talking WBHE, we've also checked with them and confirmed that their forthcoming Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD release of Denis Villeneuve's Dune (2021) - due on 1/11/22 - will include the film in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio. In other words, it will not shift aspect ratios for IMAX scenes. That is official, so adjust your plans accordingly.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/112221-1500

YNWA_AG
AG
That's a bummer. Love what Nolan does with his physical releases and I was hoping for that.
TCTTS
AG
Same. No reason not to do that here. Can't understand this decision.
YouBet
AG
On this topic, were only certain scenes filmed in IMAX?

We watched the IMAX enhanced version of Shang-Chi on Disney+ and I never noticed a difference or change between IMAX and non-IMAX.
TCTTS
AG
Apparently only certain sequences were filmed in IMAX, but I swear the IMAX version I saw at the Chinese Theater (1.90, not the full 1.43) never changed, and retained the same IMAX ratio throughout the entire film.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I bet they could make a cool $25-50 MM extra dollars to re-release Part 1 about 45 days before Part 2 hits theaters
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Apparently only certain sequences were filmed IMAX, but I swear the IMAX version I saw at the Chinese Theater (1.90, not the full 1.43) never changed, and retained the same IMAX ratio throughout the entire film.
Same with us regarding Dune at the IMAX here in Dallas.

Again, IMAX remains the most confusing technical standard I've ever dealt with. No one really knows how and where to actually see it and what the true definition is.

According to IMAX.com, you and I and most everyone actually didn't see the Dune version with IMAX scenes anyway which is why we never noticed a ratio difference. I recall someone posting this and just went and found the link archived on imax.com. There was only theather in Texas showing Dune IMAX and three in California.

Neither of our theaters are on the list.

Proof: https://www.imax.com/news/dune-experience-up-to-40-percent-more-picture-only-in-select-imax-theatres
TCTTS
AG
It's super confusing. Best as I can tell, LieMAX theaters, like the ones you and and I saw it in, retained the 1.43:1 aspect ratio throughout. But then the theaters that showed it in true, 1.90:1 aspect ratio, for whatever reason, switched between 1.90:1 and the standard 2.39:1 aspect ratio depending on the sequence.
YouBet
AG
I don't understand the point in even filming in IMAX then if only a handful of theaters in the world can actually show it and if they aren't going to release it for in-home media. In other words, almost every IMAX theater out there is just stretching the film and isn't really IMAX.

What a colossal waste of money and time.

edit: the only theater in Texas that got it was a museum in Austin. Dumb.
akm91
AG
More Rebecca Ferguson please!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Sea Speed
AG
akm91 said:

That last Stephen King flick she was in she wears a lot of t shirts.
Quad Dog
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I bet they could make a cool $25-50 MM extra dollars to re-release Part 1 about 45 days before Part 2 hits theaters

I'd go again
TCTTS
AG
Friday.

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Yes! Must go
ChoppinDs40
AG
Sea Speed said:

akm91 said:

That last Stephen King flick she was in she wears a lot of t shirts.

Rose the Hat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.