***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,384 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HYC_AG said:

I'm seriously considering hibernation until 10/22. This is a much better poster than the floating heads. I'm hyped.

Dune: The Search for Paul's Car Keys
Claude!
YouBet said:

AgLaw said:

YouBet said:

I started my first re-read of Dune last night ahead of the movie. Originally read it 30+ years ago so it's like new to me again.
I have never read any of the Dune franchise and started it last week. Such a great story, and you can see how influential it has been on sci fi over the past 50 years (film and literature) - from Star Wars to Brandon Sanderson.

Maybe the most influential sci fi book of all time?
Absolutely.
Counterpoint: Asimov's Foundation series. Kind of real spoilers in here for both series: Dune was written in part as a commentary/counterpoint to the Foundation books, except with the Mule, in the form of Paul Atreides, being the hero.
TombstoneTex
AG
He's doomed!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
HYC_AG said:

He's doomed!
"OK ... I know I left them at the base of a sand dune..."
YouBet
AG
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

AgLaw said:

YouBet said:

I started my first re-read of Dune last night ahead of the movie. Originally read it 30+ years ago so it's like new to me again.
I have never read any of the Dune franchise and started it last week. Such a great story, and you can see how influential it has been on sci fi over the past 50 years (film and literature) - from Star Wars to Brandon Sanderson.

Maybe the most influential sci fi book of all time?
Absolutely.
Counterpoint: Asimov's Foundation series. Kind of real spoilers in here for both series: Dune was written in part as a commentary/counterpoint to the Foundation books, except with the Mule, in the form of Paul Atreides, being the hero.
I did not know that. I attempted to read Foundation a few years ago and I could not get into it. It felt dated and did not draw me in.

Conversely, I was immediately sucked into Dune again.
Mathguy64
AG
YouBet said:

I attempted to read Foundation a few years ago and I could not get into it. It felt dated and did not draw me in.

Interesting. I have read the Foundation trilogy (and the 4th book but not the 2 prequels) a couple of times. It was a little dated and dragged but wasnt bad. I just finished rereading Dune and found it to be really dated. But the first time I ready it was 35 years ago or more. It just didnt stand up to me. Maybe I should say that it wasnt as good as I remembered it to be. Contrast that with LOTR. Every time I read that I find something else that I had not thought about. I used to hate Bombadil and the endless slog in the TT book IV. Hate it so much I skipped them. Now not so much.
YouBet
AG
Mathguy64 said:

YouBet said:

I attempted to read Foundation a few years ago and I could not get into it. It felt dated and did not draw me in.

Interesting. I have read the Foundation trilogy (and the 4th book but not the 2 prequels) a couple of times. It was a little dated and dragged but wasnt bad. I just finished rereading Dune and found it to be really dated. But the first time I ready it was 35 years ago or more. It just didnt stand up to me. Maybe I should say that it wasnt as good as I remembered it to be. Contrast that with LOTR. Every time I read that I find something else that I had not thought about. I used to hate Bombadil and the endless slog in the TT book IV. Hate it so much I skipped them. Now not so much.
Simarillion and LOTR are my next reads after Dune and then Shogun. Tackling all the classics at once.
Claude!
YouBet said:

Mathguy64 said:

YouBet said:

Simarillion and LOTR are my next reads after Dune and then Shogun. Tackling all the classics at once.
I'm going through the Foundation trilogy again right now on audiobook. I think I would've struggled with the actual text, though. It's not nearly as dynamic a story as Dune, I think partly because the Foundation series, especially the first book and a half, is really an anthology of loosely-connected plot threads, whereas in Dune, we are largely just following Paul's story.
YouBet
AG
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

Mathguy64 said:

YouBet said:

I'm going through the Foundation trilogy again right now on audiobook. I think I would've struggled with the actual text, though. It's not nearly as dynamic a story as Dune, I think partly because the Foundation series, especially the first book and a half, is really an anthology of loosely-connected plot threads, whereas in Dune, we are largely just following Paul's story.
So, if I try again you would recommend audiobook over written? My only hesitation there is that I have personally found complex scifi books are better enjoyed if written simply, so I can page back and forth and reread stuff as I see fit.

Granted, that is mostly in scifi books that are hard science and describe the science to the nth degree like in some of Peter F Hamilton's books. I really don't care about the detailed reaction of atoms as they pass through the solar winds and are then impacted by the Aurora Borealis effect as they travel at 0.9 light speed therefore causing a mini temporal void effect across 8.4 sq meters of space that could open up time and dimension to alternate paths of life that may or may not be able to then come through to this dimension and time travel back to the year 2346 and stop the Pax Romana space faring people from Earth from discovering portal technology that will allow them to transport anywhere in the known galaxy by stepping through portals which then leads to development of planet busting weaponry that produce localized black holes based on an altered version of Einstein's Theory that incorporates previously unknown matter that operates in a 7th dimension that they will use in the year 3583 to annihilate a genocidal, murdering alien species that they don't yet know about.
Claude!
I don't think the complexity of Foundation really lies in the science, for which Asimov does a lot of hand-waving. We don't need to know how psycho-history comes to its conclusions - we just accept it as the basis for the story, and it's almost indistinguishable from magic. What's really important is the Big Idea of psycho-history and how we get from Point A to Point B in Seldon's hypothesis.
The Dog Lord
AG
Quad Dog said:

Book 4, God Emperor of Dune is very different. It is definitely love it or hate it type thing. A lot more philosophical and thought provoking than action.
I always say that if you want to fully understand the Golden Path and what Paul was so scared of, then you have to read God Emperor.
The fifth and sixth books are a pretty different story and focus more on different character farther into the future dealing with the outcomes of book 4. Both good, but pretty different from the first 4.
I'm almost done with #5 (Heretics of Dune), and I'd currently rank the books as

Dune

Children of Dune
Heretics of Dune

God Emperor of Dune

Dune Messiah

I'd love to see them continue the story, but I'm not sure the general audience would be as interested once it starts slowing down and getting weirder. One thing that could help bring a little continuity is that Duncan Idaho is in every book (at least through #5).
SpreadsheetAg
AG
But it's not REALLY Duncan, is it...
The Dog Lord
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

But it's not REALLY Duncan, is it...
Or is it?....What makes one truly Duncan?....Am I Duncan?!....
hunter2012
AG
Spoiler meme, avert your eyes!

israeliag
AG
Interesting. I loved Dune Messiah. Turning the hero journey on its head like it did came as a huge surprise to me that I thought was brilliant. I know Dune alludes to the horrible and huge amounts of violence that Paul could introduce, I just didn't think it would happen.
The Dog Lord
AG
israeliag said:

Interesting. I loved Dune Messiah. Turning the hero journey on its head like it did came as a huge surprise to me that I thought was brilliant. I know Dune alludes to the horrible and huge amounts of violence that Paul could introduce, I just didn't think it would happen.
I liked it okay, especially once finished, but it was a struggle to read for some reason. I just wasn't eager to pick it up like I was with some of the others. This year has been a slow reading year for me in general though because I've been exhausted with other things. This series isn't really light reading, so I don't necessarily dive in if I'm tired like I would with another book.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The Dog Lord said:

israeliag said:

I liked it okay, especially once finished, but it was a struggle to read for some reason. I just wasn't eager to pick it up like I was with some of the others. This year has been a slow reading year for me in general though because I've been exhausted with other things. This series isn't really light reading, so I don't necessarily dive in if I'm tired like I would with another book.

But I would like to see grown Alia fighting the training drone on level 11 in full nude... just sayin'
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I blame the Foundation series for every bad movie sequel ever made. As much as I love Asimov, it's like he was sitting there and decided the sequels would be, "Hey, you know that one of a kind thing at the far end of the universe that everyone in the galaxy knows about? Oh, there's another one on the other end of the universe."

Pretty sure that's where "Site B" came from in Jurassic Park.
Claude!
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I blame the Foundation series for every bad movie sequel ever made. As much as I love Asimov, it's like he was sitting there and decided the sequels would be, "Hey, you know that one of a kind thing at the far end of the universe that everyone in the galaxy knows about? Oh, there's another one on the other end of the universe."

Pretty sure that's where "Site B" came from in Jurassic Park.
Have to disagree - I'm pretty sure that the second Foundation was mentioned in the first book, though it obviously wasn't highlighted.

That being said, Asimov was a great world-builder, but not really a gripping writer.
TCTTS
AG
I'm hearing that some of the first critic screenings are tonight, September 1st, at least here in LA, ahead the first public/festival screenings this Friday at the Venice Film Festival in Italy. No idea if critics will be allowed to tweet reactions tonight, but critics will no doubt be tweeting immediately after Friday's premiere.
TCTTS
AG
Did some digging and it seems there *is* a reaction embargo that lifts at 5:45 PM on Friday, but I think that's Venice time, though I can't tell for sure. If so, that would mean no reactions tonight, but that we'll be getting reactions around 10:45 AM Central Friday. Will post when/if I find out more...
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The reviews must flow
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
What a world we live in where the term "reaction emabargo" is a thing.
TCTTS
AG
Duncan Idaho
Mood's a thing for love play and cattle. Not fighting!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Cool stuff. That's the scene right before Paul's Thopter gets hit by lightning and he travels back in time and accidentally takes his mother to the Enchantment Under the Sand dance.
jenn96
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

Cool stuff. That's the scene right before Paul's Thopter gets hit by lightning and he travels back in time and accidentally takes his mother to the Enchantment Under the Sand dance.
Spoiler tags!!!!
Duncan Idaho
The lynch version of the same scene

I can not say enough how excited I am for this movie
YouBet
AG
Was curious about Kyle Maclachlan and Timothy Chalamet's ages playing Paul and they are almost the exact same age in real life (25 or 26) playing a 15 yr old Paul Atreides in the book.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
YouBet said:

Was curious about Kyle Maclachlan and Timothy Chalamet's ages playing Paul and they are almost the exact same age in real life (25 or 26) playing a 15 yr old Paul Atreides in the book.

Yeah but Chalamet can pass for a 15 year old.
PatAg
AG
ACTING!
TCTTS
AG
Earlier than expected, as this was two hours ago. So I might actually still be up when these hit, and will post if so...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.