***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,386 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The baron is in there twice
Yeah, I missed him the first time. I only caught him the second time by recognizing Skarsgaard's voice. The shot of his face was so fast and hazy you would have no clue. I still only found the one shot and that was unrecognizable as the Baron.

ETA I don't blame them for hiding him. His look would be a big deal. I was surprised they showed as much of the worm as they did.
YouBet
AG
Mathguy64 said:

To be fair, if you know the source material you can tell that the trailer really hits the look and tone of the characters. But you have to know the source material. If you have never read the book it was just random snippets of unconnected shots. They gave nothing of the story away in those 3 minutes. You couldn't tell who any of the characters were or what they have to do with any part of the story. You don't see Baron Harkonnen, Feyd or even the Emperor. No Thufir.

That trailer was made for the fans of the book, not for the general moviegoer.

They actually kind of did, but I'm not going to say how to protect the virgins.
YouBet
AG
C@LAg said:

Max Power said:

My main concern with Chalamet was whether
my problem is that Chalamet just has no charisma whatsoever in the trailer.

I hope it is just that they cut it that way to give it an overall tone... but he was mostly monotone with minimal facial expressions, in spite of everything else that was going on.

everything else looks rock solid, he just comes off as... bland.

May be irrelevant at this point, but Kyle Maclachlan was the same way in the Lynch movie.
Ornithopter
AG
YouBet said:

C@LAg said:

Max Power said:

I hope it is just that they cut it that way to give it an overall tone... but he was mostly monotone with minimal facial expressions, in spite of everything else that was going on.

May be irrelevant at this point, but Kyle Maclachlan was the same way in the Lynch movie.

I think it lines up with the Mental/Bene Gesserit training where the human mind is turned into a type of computer completely in control of emotion.

I wonder if it was an influence for Spock?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Render said:

Now I know where Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast got it's idea for Kyle Katarn's personal energy shield.
In Jedi Academy they straight up rip off Dune in one of the mission levels.

RichardSplet
Is the emperor supposed to appear in this movie or is he only in the second half of the book?
HalifaxAg
AG
Loved the trailer, looks like they did the remake justice...

shields had a fantastic effect
Shai Hulud looks scary
Harkonnens and presumably Sardurkar look impressive
love the Atreides symbol

can't wait to see a chrys-knife

I was mildly disappointed in the blue within blue eyes, I was hoping for something more dramatic there
YouBet
AG
DubFalls said:

YouBet said:

C@LAg said:

Max Power said:

I think it lines up with the Mental/Bene Gesserit training where the human mind is turned into a type of computer completely in control of emotion.

I wonder if it was an influence for Spock?

Agreed.

Admittedly, I need to go back and read the book. It's been many years since I've read it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
RichardSplet said:

Is the emperor supposed to appear in this movie or is he only in the second half of the book?
The Emperor and another major "bad" character are not listed anywhere in the IMDB cast listing and the director has said it's split into 2 movies so they don't have to sacrifice any of the story.

The end of the book seems really fast to me after hundreds of pages of methodical, but interesting, things happening in the desert. Interesting to see what all they do to balance them out.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

RichardSplet said:

The Emperor and another major "bad" character are not listed anywhere in the IMDB cast listing and the director has said it's split into 2 movies so they don't have to sacrifice any of the story.

The end of the book seems really fast to me after hundreds of pages of methodical, but interesting, things happening in the desert. Interesting to see what all they do to balance them out.

I can't wait for this because the Lynch movie left out some major plot lines from the back half of the novel.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
No princess Irulan was cast either. And the other look i am waiting for is a guild navigator.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

As for the music, I respect the choice, and understand its significance/what they're going for, but agree that it doesn't quite work here. It's the kind of choice you'd find in a third or fourth trailer that's dropped like a week before the film's release - not in the first trailer meant to (re)introduce this franchise to the world.
I took a stab at a more "Hollywood / General Audience" song for the trailer. Interested in you guys' opinion.

Reminds me of this, and now I want to see a Dune 2020 VHS intro:
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

As for the music, I respect the choice, and understand its significance/what they're going for, but agree that it doesn't quite work here. It's the kind of choice you'd find in a third or fourth trailer that's dropped like a week before the film's release - not in the first trailer meant to (re)introduce this franchise to the world.
I took a stab at a more "Hollywood / General Audience" song for the trailer. Interested in you guys' opinion.

Reminds me of this, and now I want to see a Dune 2020 VHS intro:

Everything is better with music/themes from the 1980s

Al Bula
AG
Sarduakar said:

And the other look i am waiting for is a guild navaigator.
im super curious to see the interpretation of a guild navigator. I don't know what the folks who haven't read dune even know about navigators so I won't post a pic (from previous movies) in case people don't want that concept spoiled but it could be the hardest thing to nail in this movie.
amercer
AG
I thought the music was the best part of the trailer.

I read the book 25 years ago, and saw the first movie at some point probably that long ago as well. Remember the story as being good, but zero details.

The shots in the trailer jogged some memories, but the music gave it the epic feeling.
Duncan Idaho
The idea of getting the navigators right is so daunting that I am not sure I would even try.

There is no reason for them to be on screen for Dune. If I remember right, one isn't even seen by another character until Children of Dune
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The idea of getting the navigators right is so daunting that I am not sure I would even try.

There is no reason for them to be on screen for Dune. If I remember right, one isn't even seen by another character until Children of Dune
There are 2 navigators from the guild near the end of the novel when Paul confronts the emperor and fights the Harkonnenn champion
Max Power
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

There are 2 navigators from the guild near the end of the novel when Paul confronts the emperor and fights the Harkonnenn champion
I think they reference them, but they don't describe them. They do describe the navigators in detail in Dune Messiah though. After finally reading Dune recently and rewatching the Lynch movie on HBO it's pretty easy to see how Villeneuve won't be making an identical film to Lynch, there's a lot of room to be more faithful to the original book alone. Lots of things on screen that weren't in the book, maybe they're in future books, but definitely not the first one.
G Martin 87
AG
The Dune Encyclopedia has this under the "Spacing Guild, Operations" entry:

So well protected were the details of Spacing Guild techniques that for thousands of years, not a single person outside the Guild realized that Steersmen had their peculiar form because they had been bred to be, in essence, marine mammals. ... Princess Irulan described Steersman Edric as having a "fish mouth"; even Muad'Dib called Edric a "man-fish."
ag88man
AG
Max Power said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I think they reference them, but they don't describe them. They do describe the navigators in detail in Dune Messiah though. After finally reading Dune recently and rewatching the Lynch movie on HBO it's pretty easy to see how Villeneuve won't be making an identical film to Lynch, there's a lot of room to be more faithful to the original book alone. Lots of things on screen that weren't in the book, maybe they're in future books, but definitely not the first one.
I think two Guild representatives are in the end of the first book, but they only describe them as a taller one and a shorter one. Also, if I remember correctly, one of their contacts slip and the true nature of their eyes is revealed to Paul. I don't know if they are considered navigators or not.
YouBet
AG
ag88man said:

Max Power said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

I think two Guild representatives are in the end of the first book, but they only describe them as a taller one and a shorter one. Also, if I remember correctly, one of their contacts slip and the true nature of their eyes is revealed to Paul. I don't know if they are considered navigators or not.

TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
ag88man said:

Max Power said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Duncan I said:

I think the Guild representatives are not Navigators. They are just normal spice-addicted humans. Probably addicted because of their close interaction with the Navigators or because they only got partially through the testing/training to be a Navigator.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

ag88man said:

Max Power said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

1980s Jane Badler. Wood.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TrustTheAwesomeness said:

ag88man said:

Max Power said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Duncan I said:

I think the Guild representatives are not Navigators. They are just normal spice-addicted humans. Probably addicted because of their close interaction with the Navigators or because they only got partially through the testing/training to be a Navigator.

This. There are Guild Representatives (Guildsmen?) and Navigators (Edric from Book 2 is one) and they live an a tank and have developed flippers for hand and feet and fishlike mouths.
Fenrir
MuckRaker96 said:

YouBet said:

ag88man said:

Max Power said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

1980s Jane Badler. Wood.

I don't have a thing for lizard people in human suits but you do you.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Cromagnum
AG
C@LAg said:

Max Power said:

Did you read the book? Thats a pretty good fit for Paul.
Cromagnum
AG
We have come a long way graphically. Now I know where Minecraft came from.

Cromagnum
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Yeah, it's not in the books until way later. 1980's dune hit you with one in the opening scene.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cromagnum said:

Wow ...
That is horrifying.

I was told during the 1980s movie tournament that this is better than The Terminator?
Cromagnum
AG
The story is better, but parts of the movie (as you saw) leave much to be desired.
PatAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Cromagnum said:

Wow ...
That is horrifying.

I was told during the 1980s movie tournament that this is better than The Terminator?
People confused how good the book is with the quality of the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great watch.

PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Great watch.

Damn, Rebecca Ferguson is visually striking
TCTTS
AG
Was thinking the exact same thing.

Great video, overall, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.