***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,380 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Do we happen to know when advance tickets will go on sale?

Bond tickets went on sale today and that movie comes out October 8. Dune hits 14 days later, so I'd expect tickets to become available at some point in the next couple of weeks. Will definitely post something here the second I see any kind of announcement.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The soundtrack is out. I posted track titles and initial comments on the spoiler thread while i listen to it. If you haven't read the book, I don't think the track titles will spoil you, but if you love Zimmer (and if you don't, I don't like you), it is a phenomenal listen so far.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Is this a standalone movie or will it be multiple?
Sapper Redux
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Yes
Sea Speed
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Yes

Perfect answer
Quad Dog
AG
I think the perfect plan was a trilogy based on the first half of book one, second half of book one, and book two.

There's also an HBO series of a prequel based on Bene Gesserit.

All of that will depend on how well the first movie does.
TCTTS
AG
Even I stopped watching this one about a quarter of the way through, so as to not see any more new footage (of which this really does have a ton). But for those who still don't mind…

C@LAg
Visually, yeah, lots of new stuff.

Story wise, if you have seen Dune '84, you have seen 100% of everything in this trailer.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
My favorite tracks so far are

Leaving Caladan

and Armada, which literally sounds like a massive battle, which probably is the REDACTED going toe to toe with the REDACTED.

In Visions of Chani, pretty sure you hear Zendaya half-saying, half-moaning Paul's name, which if she was doing that with my name, would also make me feel like I was destined for greatness.

Need to listen to the second half of the soundtrack today. It is epic and intense. I can't believe Zimmer only has a lone Oscar and really can't believe he didn't win for Gladiator.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Looking back, that was a pretty solid year for the Oscars music nominations:

Quote:

WINNER
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
Tan Dun

NOMINEES
CHOCOLAT
Rachel Portman

GLADIATOR
Hans Zimmer

Ennio Morricone

THE PATRIOT
John Williams

What was Ennio Morricone nominated for? Pulled this straight from the Oscars site and there is no movie in the spot where there should be one.
wangus12
AG
Malena with Monica Bellucci.
Duncan Idaho
Has a toolish feel to it
TCTTS
AG
So many people have seen this by now, I can't believe we still have basically a month left…

TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Putting it on TV is a colossal mistake.
Madmarttigan
AG
They are overestimating how many true cinema people enjoy going to the theater.

I personally am fine chilling at home and I know millennials/gen z are more likely to do the same. I only ever go to the movies when a friend asks me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If they use box office performance to decide on doing the sequel or not, they better take HBO Max into account.

Cause that would be BS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

So many people have seen this by now, I can't believe we still have basically a month left…
To me the gap between Shang-Chi and Venom this week felt eternal. I'm not sure why they left such a wide open gap of no big movies and then threw everything into October.

I feel like one of those big ones could've been moved up by a month.

But, things are pedal to the metal for pretty much the rest of the year from here on out.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I plan on watching it once in theaters, then as many times at home as I want to.

It would be cool if HBO Max did some sort of partnership with future movies where they can somehow recognize that you bought a movie theater ticket, then you can stream as much as you want immediately. If not, you wait 45 days like how Disney is doing with Shang Chi.

No idea how you could make that work though.
YouBet
AG
I have no issues with the vast majority of movies being dual released to home. Dune happens to be a major motion event that I personally value that I will see in IMAX first. However, those types of movies are few and far between for me.

And that's the conundrum these studios face. 95% of movies are fine to release at home + theater because most people aren't going to care especially as the younger gens become the primary demographic.
TCTTS
AG
And now some people have even seen it three times…

AliasMan02
AG
The talking points seem to really be out. Studio is pushing audiences to theaters HARD.

Not that I doubt it, but the message seems very deliberate.
C@LAg
Lok forward to watching it from home.
PatAg
AG
This is definitely a movie to see in theaters, if that's the kind of thing you care about. Clearly a lot of people don't.
I used to see every movie in theater, that was I interested in seeing at some point. Some time over the last 5 years, it sort of transitioned into Marvel movies in theater and that was about it. Strange
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

This is definitely a movie to see in theaters, if that's the kind of thing you care about. Clearly a lot of people don't.
I used to see every movie in theater, that was I interested in seeing at some point. Some time over the last 5 years, it sort of transitioned into Marvel movies in theater and that was about it. Strange

Pretty much same for me. I think it must have been the rise of home theater and HD PQ which removed the desire and necessity for me to see anything but a big huge blockbuster movie at the theater.
C@LAg
Unlike a Marvel movie or the big action blockbusters, this is not the kind of movie that you feed off audience energy and enthusiasm throughout the movie.
TCTTS
AG
And?

Its cinematography and scale is what demands an IMAX showing, IMO.

To each his own, and I totally get the convenience factor, but I will never understand people seemingly being *proud* of not going to the movie theater. It's such a weird thing to hang your hat on.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

And?

Its cinematography and scale is what demands an IMAX showing, IMO.

To each his own, and I totally get the convenience factor, but I will never understand people seemingly being *proud* of not going to the movie theater. It's such a weird thing to hang your hat on.
you do realize the exact same thing applies to those who fetishize the theater-going experience in threads here.

people are seeing the same movie, regardless of where they see it.

as you said, to each his or her own.

TCTTS
AG
Fetishize? Really?

And sure, it's the same movie, but where it's seen ultimately affects not only the theater business but also what movies studios decide to make. Viewing behavior ends up having massive implications on the industry as whole.

Again, it's your choice. I'm merely commenting on the fact that you often make it a point of expressing that choice in somewhat obnoxious, unempathetic fashion.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Welll ESPN just showed me Devonta Smith and CeeDee Lamb as DUne characters, now I want to throw up.
TCTTS
AG
Was just coming here to post it. Anything to get people in theaters, I guess (and thus, a sequel), even if that means awkward tie-ins during one of the biggest Monday Night Football games of the season…

Madmarttigan
AG
I may not agree with his views often but fetishize actually doesn't feel like an inappropriate description for how some people on here romanticize and prop up the movie theater experience.

I get that there are huge implications on the industry as a whole, but doesn't mean that the industry can't evolve into a new and better model for the consumer where everyone gets to do what they enjoy whether it is hit the theater or lounge on their couch at home with their own setup.

Obviously a streaming service with a flat monthly fee like HBO max is a huge mistake on WB's part because movie releases on there give them very little. Disney is more on the right track charging 20-30 for a movie on release. Unfortunately both ways make it even easier to pirate and get for free somewhere immediately on release.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
C@LAg said:

Unlike a Marvel movie or the big action blockbusters, this is not the kind of movie that you feed off audience energy and enthusiasm throughout the movie.

Huh? What about the giant screen and sound system?

Nothing will ever beat IMAX when it comes to big, epic sci-fi such as this.
TCTTS
AG
I think my point here is getting lost. I totally get that the industry/viewing habits are in the midst of a seismic shift, and I'm not really arguing against change or whatever's coming. I'm simply saying, instead of being a proud assh*le that you don't go to the movie theater, have some awareness/humility that people are losing their jobs, not every theater is going to make it, movies may get worse because of it, etc. That's really my only point here, as C@LAg has a habit of needing everyone to know he doesn't go to movie theaters, and seemingly dislikes anyone expressing enjoyment for the theatrical experience.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

Huh? What about the giant screen and sound system?

Nothing will ever beat IMAX when it comes to big, epic sci-fi such as this.
I'm guessing his point being this is a much more cerebral than a big Marvel action movie.

I want to see it on IMAX primarily because I know it's going to have epic cinematography based on who the director is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.