***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,382 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
TombstoneTex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I am reading Dune for the first time and enjoying it a lot. In looking for books 2-6, I am seeing all kinds of stuff about some of them having portions edited out, different editions, etc. I am really looking for a set of the 6 as simple and as close to the original as possible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I don't buy some heavily edited cheap garbage?
I don't know anything about books being heavily edited but barnes and nobles sells a set of the first 3... many people will say to stop reading after that point anyway.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Redstone said:

please use spoiler tags

Says the guy who knows everything already
The Debt
hunter2012 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Is the natural stopping point:

A) when Paul kills Jameis and joins Seitch Tabor as Usul?

Or

B) when Paul drinks the Water of Life /cliffhanger ending?
I find B to be the natural stopping point, the second movie they can focus on the insurrection and the ascension of Muad'Dib, besides the difference between the 2 storyboard wise is maybe a 2-3 of scenes. They leave the cave to go to the nearest hidden settlement. where they drink the water of life

the insurrection was nearly over by the time Paul takes the water of life. The reason he takes it is because he has been extremely successful and they want him to kill Stilgar so he can take control of the siche. Paul refuses by becoming the uberbeing and declaring himself duke of the arrakis. The harkonen continue to flail, Raban is losing control, emperor steps in...voila final confrontation.
BenFiasco14
AG
TCTTS said:

*masturbates furiously*
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Redstone
AG
The Lynch extended cut is fine. What's with all the Hollywood remakes?
AliasMan02
AG
The Debt said:

How much happens after B? A few more skirmishes, a ride in the sand, and then the big battle?

The movie will get WAY more into major events that get a little glossed over during the time jump in the book, I think. Creation of the Fedaykin, the recovery of a certain relic, more about the workings of the politics at the highest level as power transitions, the Emperor's efforts to get a worm offworld etc.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS, and co., hope y'all heeded advice from a week or two ago to steer clear of all Dune stuff now. Spoilers are going to be abound.
TCTTS
AG
Are you talking about in general or in this thread? If the latter, and people want to talk Dune spoilers, someone should go ahead and start the Dune spoiler thread. Otherwise, I don't see why this particular situation should be any different than any other movie thread or any other movie based on a book. Those of us who haven't yet read the book should be able to talk about and anticipate the movie here in this thread without fear of spoilers for the next couple of months.
Redstone
AG
TNNCS is absolutely correct: no spoilers.
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Are you talking about in general or in this thread? If the latter, and people want to talk Dune spoilers, someone should go ahead and start the Dune spoiler thread. Otherwise, I don't see why this particular situation should be any different than any other movie thread or any other movie based on a book. Those of us who haven't yet read the book should be able to talk about and anticipate the movie here in this thread without fear of spoilers for the next couple of months.
Next time there's a movie about the Bible, I hope you're going to make a spoilers thread for it.
Decay
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

Next time there's a movie about the Bible, I hope you're going to make a spoilers thread for it.

That part where Jesus [spoiler]fights Satan on top of the runaway subway train[/spoiler] is so important to my faith that I'd hate for someone to spoil it for me.
Redstone
AG
I'm fine with 2 threads, spoiler and non. It's probably a good idea.
YouBet
AG
Decay said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

That part where Jesus [spoiler]fights Satan on top of the runaway subway train[/spoiler] is so important to my faith that I'd hate for someone to spoil it for me.
What book is that in?! Can't wait to get to that. I'm still in Genesis so I have a long ways to go. OT God is about the most "f^ck around and find out" entity I've ever seen.

Subway fights with Jesus will not surprise me!
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Thats just not a good poster. I have been into every promotional thing they've put out until this. It just feels...lazy?
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I get that they were likely going for clean and minimalist, but it just comes off as simplistic and derivative instead. This movie deserves better than floating heads on a poster.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Especially since they've had FOREVER to be able to come up with something much more inspiring.
Sea Speed
AG
Was going to say the same thing. That poster is awful. It looks like a bush league fan made poster.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
At a glance, it looked like a lazy Star Wars poster.
Thanks and gig'em
Decay
AG
Does anyone else keep reading "DUNC"? It's driving me crazy.
jeffk
AG
What should the tag line be?
I don't know. I never read the book or anything.
Isn't this the first movie in a series?
Yeah! How about "It Begins?"
Perfect! Print it!
TCTTS
AG
The character posters were great, but the IMAX teaser poster has been the best yet...

hunter2012
AG
TCTTS said:

The character posters were great, but the IMAX teaser poster has been the best yet...

This, Dune is as large scale as a space opera can get. If I recall correctly humanity has spread across the known universe so anything that can show such a massive scale is for the better(don't worry that's no spoiler).
snowdog90
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

It's not even September!! How can I wait until October 22?!
TCTTS
AG
Duncan Idaho
TCTTS said:

Meh. The minimalist poster was better.

This is looks like a generic star wars rip off poster
The Devil
YouBet said:

Decay said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

What book is that in?! Can't wait to get to that. I'm still in Genesis so I have a long ways to go. OT God is about the most "f^ck around and find out" entity I've ever seen.

New Testament: Endgame
Duncan Idaho
The Devil said:

YouBet said:

Decay said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

TCTTS said:

New Testament: Endgame

Book of Mormon
Quad Dog
AG
It can refer to many things, like jihad or Golden Path.
BenFiasco14
AG
Yeah, I wish they could've come up with something better than, "It Begins".

All that makes me think of is King Theoden from LOTR
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
YouBet
AG
Glad I'm not the only one not digging that poster. Definitely lazy.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That poster blows.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
How about "The Spice Must Flow..."

I mean that's a BIG PART of all the books (IIRC)

Or, "Fear is the Mindkiller"
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Instead of "It Begins"... should say "He Abides"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.