***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,088 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
AGC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
powerbelly said:

I think he is correct on many points. The main problem I have is not that a woman was cast, but rather the bull**** reasons why they wanted a woman. If he had said that she nailed the role and deserved to be cast there would be no issue from many.

Can you walk me through which parts you agree with? I hear a lot of stuff that seems surface level without fleshing out the entirety of the world (full disclosure I've only read the first three books but read them several times over 20 years including just re-reading them within the past three weeks). For example he calls fremen utilitarians so they would accept kynes as a woman. Yet the Naibs are all men and many have multiple wives and win them through combat, no? Would they accept a woman's ruling or direction (even if she went native)? Her own freedom to come and go as she pleases? Would a fremen man accept that and have a child with her? Yes they accept Jessica but the book talks a lot about seeding the idea of prophecy and the bene gesserit have their own place in fremen society via the reverend mother through advanced planning. How would kynes achieve the same status that they'd just accept it? Tying Jessica to the argument makes it just more obvious that it's a reach for the role and doesn't fit. The bene gesserit are a unique force in the universe as are the offspring. Jessica and Alia split, chani dies in childbirth. What mother daughter emphasis is there in the books beyond those who are pre-born? And doesn't that actually impact the dynamic, repelling Jessica?

He also talks about mother daughter themes as being why this could work. Aren't all of the relationships with those themes created via selective breeding? Of which kynes would not be a part? Chani becomes a part later but it is defiance of breeding that leads there.

I ask these questions out of curiosity as much as anything else. I don't have any friends here that have read the book that I can discuss it with. It's probable that I'm forgetting or leaving out a lot of detail but this is what comes to mind when engaging with the idea of the gender switch. I don't care about skin tone as most of the fremen have dark skin and features in descriptions I recall.
powerbelly
AG
I think he is correct that many people complaining (not here, but on the internet) either haven't read the book or are basing their opinion on the previous movie. I also don't think the race and gender matter that much to the role if the person they ended up casting really nails it. I do have a problem if they cast a black female for demographic reasons only.

I don't agree with all his interpretations.It has been awhile since I read the books and would need to refresh to address those points.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

maca1028 said:

Where do I start if I know nothing about Dune?
Contact YouBet, he'll act it out for you in your front yard.
I'm ready so y'all just let me know. Send address in PM.
YouBet
AG
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/david-lynch-zero-interest-villeneuve-dune-1202225984/

Just some perspective from Lynch on his own movie.

Quote:

"I always say, 'Dune' is a huge gigantic sadness in my life," Lynch said last summer during the opening night of his art exhibition in the United Kingdom, "I did not have final cut on that film. Total creative control, I didn't have it. The film is not the film I would've made had I had that final control. It's a bit of a sadness."

PatAg
AG
I dont think it would matter
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
YouBet said:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/david-lynch-zero-interest-villeneuve-dune-1202225984/

Just some perspective from Lynch on his own movie.

Quote:

"I always say, 'Dune' is a huge gigantic sadness in my life," Lynch said last summer during the opening night of his art exhibition in the United Kingdom, "I did not have final cut on that film. Total creative control, I didn't have it. The film is not the film I would've made had I had that final control. It's a bit of a sadness."

I have seen the much longer version of this movie, probably an hour to hour 1/2 of extra footage. It used to come on channels in a 2 part 4 hour miniseries type. I thought it was 100 times better, although it still have the weirdinf modules with the killing words..... i wish i could find a DVD of that one.
Duncan Idaho
The intro voice over in the longest version is pretty handy for getting people up to speed

I will say that lynch got all of the worlds, sets and costumes right.

I also loved his navigator.
YouBet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The intro voice over in the longest version is pretty handy for getting people up to speed

I will say that lynch got all of the worlds, sets and costumes right.

I also loved his navigator.

I think I was mostly disappointed your golem version wasn't in the movie, but I still loved it.
TCTTS
AG
Great, extensive rundown...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-guide-to-dune-s-gargantuan-cast-of-characters-1842923126
amercer
AG
Which of the other Dune books are worth reading?

I read the original 20ish years ago, and my vague memory of the major plot points will probably be helpful for the movie. They are doing the first book in two movies?
YouBet
AG
amercer said:

I read the original 20ish years ago, and my vague memory of the major plot points will probably be helpful for the movie. They are doing the first book in two movies?
Extraordinarily unpopular opinion but I actually enjoyed his son's prequels. They aren't literary masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination but they fed my SciFi appetite at the time.

I attempted to read the immediate Dune sequel - Children of Dune? - but it was so very different than Dune that I abandoned it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
YouBet said:

amercer said:

Extraordinarily unpopular opinion but I actually enjoyed his son's prequels. They aren't literary masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination but they fed my SciFi appetite at the time.

I attempted to read the immediate Dune sequel - Children of Dune? - but it was so very different than Dune that I abandoned it.
you of all people like the prequels but didn't like Children of Dune? hmmm. Will you act out the Butlerian Jihad in my yard?

I read the first set of prequels and what I dislike the most ( and Duncan on here said it I believe ) it ruined my perception of what Gurney and others were like before Dune. I thought the Gurney in the slave pits should have been a LOT more.

I never read the 2nd set. Is it better for you than the first?
YouBet
AG
Sarduakar said:

YouBet said:

amercer said:

you of all people like the prequels but didn't like Children of Dune? hmmm. Will you act out the Butlerian Jihad in my yard?

I read the first set of prequels and what I dislike the most ( and Duncan on here said it I believe ) it ruined my perception of what Gurney and others were like before Dune. I thought the Gurney in the slave pits should have been a LOT more.

I never read the 2nd set. Is it better for you than the first?

Frankly, I don't recall on the prequels. I read all of them when they came out which was several years ago now. I remember liking them fine but I don't remember any details other than an antagonist who essentially had his head or brain integrated with a robot body. Lol.

I'm going to give the Dune sequels another shot. It's literally been 30 years or so when I attempted to read it.
Duncan Idaho
I "enjoyed" the prequels for a similar reason. I was traveling a lot and it was something to read.

But they were not good books and pretty much **** on his father's legacy.

They were bad fanfic written by someone that didn't really understand the source material and what made it so great.
Cromagnum
AG
The casting is insane. Hope it doesn't flop because I don't even want to imagine what they are spending on it.
TCTTS
AG
I read that peice and multiple times thought to myself, "Oh yeah, he's in this too! And her!" It's crazy.
TCTTS
AG
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I need a trailer. Now.
TCTTS
AG
I'd put money on June.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I may go see this movie alone because even my Star Wars supernerd boy has never heard of Dune. I'm about to buy him a copy on Amazon and see what happens. I don't known what happened to my physical copy. Actually, I don't know what happened to all of it, through the hardback copy of Chapterhouse Dune. Where's my books go?
PatAg
AG
Thomas Ford 91 said:

I may go see this movie alone because even my Star Wars supernerd boy has never heard of Dune. I'm about to buy him a copy on Amazon and see what happens. I don't known what happened to my physical copy. Actually, I don't know what happened to all of it, through the hardback copy of Chapterhouse Dune. Where's my books go?
I probably own 3 copies of Dune due to losing it and buying a replacement at Half-Price Books
claym711
AG
Next up on my audible list
rfvgy12
AG
My non sci-fi daughter is my new Dune partner because of Paul Atreides casting.
“If one side is protesting racism, then the other side is counter protesting racism.” @thekellenmond
In response to pro Sul Ross statue protesters and fellow Aggies.
KALALL
AG
I read Dune the other day and was enjoying it then it all of a sudden ended. I wish there had been about 200 more pages of Paul with the Fremen. It goes from him showing up to being their leader in no time flat. I'll watch the movie but I don't think I'll read the other books.
AliasMan02
AG
kaleb_allison said:

I read Dune the other day and was enjoying it then it all of a sudden ended. I wish there had been about 200 more pages of Paul with the Fremen. It goes from him showing up to being their leader in no time flat. I'll watch the movie but I don't think I'll read the other books.

I think we'll see more of what you're referring to in the movie. There are some battles and things alluded to or mentioned in the book that I think will play out on screen over two films.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I seriously doubt this is for a trailer - it's most likely for some kind of ancillary book or graphic novel series or something along those lines - but who knows...
Al Bula
AG
I would not piss on Brian Herbert if he was on fire.

In the middle of Dune Messiah for the umpteenth time and it is definitely weirder. It also seems like there are lots of words but nothing happens. But it is not necessarily a bad thing.

I think the lack of details in Paul living with the Fremen and the jihad stuff creates a strangely satisfying mystique. If you read any of the BH novels you will experience the complete opposite.

Less is more with Frank Herbert.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
By the way, if you want to check out Rebecca Ferguson ... I watched Mission Impossible: Fallout last night and she's the actor playing Ilsa. So fine.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

By the way, if you want to check out Rebecca Ferguson ... I watched Mission Impossible: Fallout last night and she's the actor playing Ilsa. So fine.
Just watched Doctor Sleep last night, in which she plays Rose the Hat. I concur, she is drop-dead gorgeous.
Rocagnante
AG
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/dune-timothee-chalamet-action-scene-1202230502/

chipotle
So after years of not knowing what the movie Dune was all about(having seen it like two times) I watched a couple 5 minute youtube videos splaining it all. Ok, now it makes sense. Except why the hell is everyone always whispering to themselves?
TCTTS
AG

Chipotlemonger
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.