***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,377 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, this place is PACKED. Most people I've been around indoors in nearly two years…
Carlo4
AG
Am I the only one that doesn't like how they say Harkonnen?

So far I'm 20 min in and loving it!
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Are they saying Harkuhnnin or HarKOnen?
Decay
AG
Get off your phone!
A is A
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Are they saying Harkuhnnin or HarKOnen?

Needs answers to this
schmendeler
AG
Harkie-ninn
NC2001
AG
Just got back from the theater, and my wife and I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to part 2.
Bunk Moreland
Dune meets Gladiator meets Batman Begins.

Absolutely wonderful.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That met my expectations. No wait, that actually blew my expectations away. And my expectations were lofty.

I dare to say that this is one of the most beautiful looking films I have ever seen. There is a depth to just about every scene in the movie that I don't always gets out of movies such as this. The score stand-alone didn't really move the needle for me during my several listens over the last couple of weeks, but when placed over these images, this story, Zimmer's score makes perfect sense. No gripes about any of the actors in this (and yeah, I admit to thinking, well, there is Thanos walking along with Aquaman and Poe Dameron). Tim whatever his last name is did a fantastic job as Paul Atreides, but I was blown away by Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica. She looked the part to me, and it didn't hurt that I find her to be one of the most gorgeous ladies out there.

Will watch again Sunday night on my TV.
YouBet
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Settling in!

Hey Michael Scott!
YouBet
AG
Carlo4 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like how they say Harkonnen?

So far I'm 20 min in and loving it!
PDWT_12
AG
My review:

That **** ruled.
wangus12
AG
Damn that was fantastic. Definitely gonna go see it again
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

All your phones and TVs and HBO Max subscriptions can suck it.

Time to Dune this for real…

Don't you need kids to do Dad Jokes?
FtWorthHorn
I echo all of the comments so far, it was fantastic, and it was obviously half of a much bigger story.

What's most striking to me was how, 70 years after the novel and untold sci-fi properties, the look of this movie is really unique. So much sci-fi kinda looks like Star Wars or Star Trek...and this just doesn't at all.
aTmLoKi
AG
The movie went way beyond expectations! Can't wait for Part 2.
BudFox7
WOW
Faustus
TCTTS said:

Man, this place is PACKED. Most people I've been around indoors in nearly two years…

Hopefully no coughing or sneezing during the flick.
TCTTS
AG
I posted my main reaction in the spoiler thread, so all I'm going to say here is this…

Watch this movie in a damn theater.

IMAX, preferably.

Because afterward, when I got home, I rewatched a couple scenes on HBO Max, and it doesn't even remotely come close to the theatrical experience. To the point where it almost looks/feels like a different movie. And this is coming from someone who has a big ass, perfectly calibrated 4K TV.

This is an experiences that DEMANDS to be seen on the biggest possible screen you can find.

Seriously, do yourself that favor. You won't regret it.

Admittedly, it helped that the sold-out crowd tonight went nuts for it - cheering multiple times throughout and applauding at the end - but even still, it's the utter scale and jaw-dropping cinematography that is never not overwhelming, in the best possible way.
TCTTS
AG
And when I say crowd, I mean crowd. It felt like a lot of people, but I had no idea that place seats 850…

TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

TCTTS said:

All your phones and TVs and HBO Max subscriptions can suck it.

Time to Dune this for real…

Don't you need kids to do Dad Jokes?

Each and every one of you are *my* children.

TCTTS
AG
Also, it bugs me to no end that the 2.35:1 aspect ratio version, with the black bars on top and bottom, is the version on HBO Max. When a 1.90:1 IMAX version exists, that has more picture vertically, and will fill up our TV screens completely. Compared to the IMAX version, it feels like I'm watching the movie through horizontal window blinds on HBO Max. I understand that they need to do something to entice people to go to the theater, and thus the theater gets "more" movie, but still. Yet another reason to see this on the big screen.

(For my breakdown on aspect ratios, with examples, check page 50 of this thread.)
StinkyPinky
AG
So, I went ahead and started the book in advance of the movie to see if I want to get half way through in advance of an Imax sitting on Sunday. Lots of detail in the book that seems like it will aid in the world and character building in the movie. Any additional thoughts after seeing the movie? Book or movie first?
Decay
AG
Bonzer103 said:

So, I went ahead and started the book in advance of the movie to see if I want to get half way through in advance of an Imax sitting on Sunday. Lots of detail in the book that seems like it will aid in the world and character building in the movie. Any additional thoughts after seeing the movie? Book or movie first?
Frankly I'm mixed. I read the book last week and I'm not sure I needed to. I think you'd catch enough from the movie to be alright. A lot of the movie was straight from the book, so a few times it felt like I'd read the script or something which was a little distracting.

But then again, there's some detail you're just not going to know without the book which was nice to have.
Cromagnum
AG
Bonzer103 said:

I'll let you know soon. I've read the book and seen the 1984 movie. The wife is going into it completely blind. We will see who likes it more.
A is A
AG
TCTTS said:

One other quick note...

The 1.43:1 full/true IMAX format basically only pertains to Nolan movies, Villeneuve movies, and Mission: Impossible movies, with rare exceptions. Because Marvel movies "shot on IMAX" only shoot in the 1.9:1 LieMAX aspect ratio, and the same goes for the upcoming Top Gun: Maverick. Neither go full 1.43:1, nor do most blockbusters shot on IMAX. At least up until now. Villeneuve will probably change that, as I *think* he was the first to shoot IMAX digitally in 1.43:1, though I could be wrong. I just know he had access to brand new, state-of-the-art IMAX cameras no one else had used before.

Regardless, up until now, it's been a rarity that you even had to seek out full/true IMAX, as most "shot on IMAX" movies shot in the 1.9:1 aspect ratio, so the type of IMAX theater you saw it in - LieMAX or the real deal - hasn't mattered as much. Again, I imagine that's about to change going forward, though.

All that said, most movies shown in IMAX aren't even "shot on IMAX," a la the Star Wars movies, the Fast & Furious movies, Free Guy, etc. Those are simply 2:39:1 aspect ratio movies being projected onto an IMAX screen. So there's no version where you get more picture vertically depending on the type of IMAX theater you see it in. You're getting the exact same aspect ratio wherever/however you see it.
Thanks for your post here.

So according to IMAX - only Austin has a tru 1.43:1 experience.

https://www.imax.com/news/dune-experience-up-to-40-percent-more-picture-only-in-select-imax-theatres

I noticed your post in the Chinese Theatre - is that a lieMax, too? It is not listed in IMAX's list? Or is there more to this list that I am missing.

I have tickets for Regal Lone Star IMAX in Houston - as this thread has directed me there. Should I call the establishment to confirm? in a later post on Pg 50 you mention MarqE as being true. There is a MarqE in downtown Hoston, again, not listed on Imax's link above about 40% more.
YouBet
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

One other quick note...

The 1.43:1 full/true IMAX format basically only pertains to Nolan movies, Villeneuve movies, and Mission: Impossible movies, with rare exceptions. Because Marvel movies "shot on IMAX" only shoot in the 1.9:1 LieMAX aspect ratio, and the same goes for the upcoming Top Gun: Maverick. Neither go full 1.43:1, nor do most blockbusters shot on IMAX. At least up until now. Villeneuve will probably change that, as I *think* he was the first to shoot IMAX digitally in 1.43:1, though I could be wrong. I just know he had access to brand new, state-of-the-art IMAX cameras no one else had used before.

Regardless, up until now, it's been a rarity that you even had to seek out full/true IMAX, as most "shot on IMAX" movies shot in the 1.9:1 aspect ratio, so the type of IMAX theater you saw it in - LieMAX or the real deal - hasn't mattered as much. Again, I imagine that's about to change going forward, though.

All that said, most movies shown in IMAX aren't even "shot on IMAX," a la the Star Wars movies, the Fast & Furious movies, Free Guy, etc. Those are simply 2:39:1 aspect ratio movies being projected onto an IMAX screen. So there's no version where you get more picture vertically depending on the type of IMAX theater you see it in. You're getting the exact same aspect ratio wherever/however you see it.

https://www.imax.com/news/dune-experience-up-to-40-percent-more-picture-only-in-select-imax-theatres

I noticed your post in the Chinese Theatre - is that a lieMax, too? It is not listed in IMAX's list? Or is there more to this list that I am missing.

I have tickets for Regal Lone Star IMAX in Houston - as this thread has directed me there. Should I call the establishment to confirm? in a later post on Pg 50 you mention MarqE as being true. There is a MarqE in downtown Hoston, again, not listed on Imax's link above about 40% more.
Well, this is confusing. This suggests 3 different picture views then. Your IMAX link>what we thought were true IMAX theaters>HBO MAX.

WTH?
YouBet
AG
And yet if you search for the movie on the IMAX website itself it shows Dune at all of the IMAX theaters and they all say "IMAX 2D" even with the theater you are going to.

I'm not sure there is a more confusing and misrepresented standard than IMAX. It's massively infuriating.
A is A
AG
It's massively confusing. But maybe those theaters paid extra to IMAX to be listed? Who knows - I am just trying to get the best experience for my group that never wants to go to theatres and rather just be comfy at home on a 70"

I'm gonna start call some theatres after lunch today.
birdman
I am the kwisatz haberdach
Faustus
The shortening of the haberdach.
DVC2010
AG
A is A said:

TCTTS said:

One other quick note...

I saw No Time to Die at Lonestar last weekend and Dune at MarqE last night. It certainly looked like MarqE had a more vertical aspect ratio.
Claude!
birdman said:

I'm just the kwisatz haberdasher. I make hats for the product of thousands of years of human breeding programs. Not much of a living.
birdman
Claude! said:

birdman said:

I'm just the kwisatz haberdasher. I make hats for the product of thousands of years of human breeding programs. Not much of a living.
As the kwisatz haderach, I have many powers. Typing isn't one of them.
Faustus
Try looking into that Chakobsa dictionary where you dare not look! You'll find me there, staring out at you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.