***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,363 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
G Martin 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FalconAg06 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

FalconAg06 said:

Guys, can someone in the know give me the recommended dune reading order? I read the first book and loved it years ago, but didn't know it was part of a HUGE number of other books.
As Ocean of Funk recommended, just pay attention to these and read them in this order:

Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune

(But honestly you can stop after God Emperor of Dune if you so desire, unless you're just really, super interested in the Bene Gesserit and didn't get enough through the original four books.)
Duncan Idaho
MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

As for the music, I respect the choice, and understand its significance/what they're going for, but agree that it doesn't quite work here. It's the kind of choice you'd find in a third or fourth trailer that's dropped like a week before the film's release - not in the first trailer meant to (re)introduce this franchise to the world.
I took a stab at a more "Hollywood / General Audience" song for the trailer. Interested in you guys' opinion.

10/10 Would watch
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The shields is a great look, a really original take on a scifi staple. I dont think jason momoa is a very good actor but the likelihood of an onscreen fight between his character and Dave Bautista seems pretty incredible. One of the things that always gets me excited about a movie is a lot of great actors in supporting roles , Brolin and poe Dameron and Bardem is crazy good. Now if they can only work in a scene where stilgar flips a coin in the air and tells gurney that he has to call it ..
SNES Chalmers
needs more kyle maclachlan whispering
Render
AG
Why is a spacefaring country using swords?
DVC2010
AG
Render said:

Why is a spacefaring country using swords?

They wear shields that stop any object moving too fast, including a quick thrust of a knife. Projectile weapons are essentially obsolete.
Render
AG
Now I know where Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast got it's idea for Kyle Katarn's personal energy shield.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Knowing nothing about Dune, like at all, the trailer looks like something the Wachowksi's released back in 2007, i.e. it looks bat sh*t crazy.

But I'm there opening weekend since Villeneuve is involved.
PatAg
AG
Max Power
AG
Great trailer, I'm pumped. As others have already said, the music is...lacking. I would have preferred no music, that track just didn't fit.

My main concern with Chalamet was whether he was going to be able to pull off the scenes where he's got to engage in knife fights, the brief glimpse they showed of him and Gurney looked solid. He looked fast, which is what Paul needs to be since he isn't going to overpower anyone, speed and technique. I didn't even think we'd get worms this early, if at all, I think they look rad.
TCTTS
AG
Higher-quality 1080p version from Apple, not the super-compressed YouTube 1080p...

https://trailers.apple.com/movies/wb/dune/dune-trailer-1_h1080p.mov
Sex Panther
AG
Should've used this for the trailer music:

Duncan Idaho
Am I the only person in the world that doesn't like that song?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

Never ever pick up those Dune fanfic novels written by Herbert's son.

True words of wisdom
Solo Tetherball Champ
TCTTS said:

nailed it.
redd38
AG
That trailer didn't do much for me. I haven't read the books or seen original movie, so I'm gonna need more than that to sell me. I'll probably catch this one on Netflix unless they can do a lot better in the next trailer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How many times is it for Tenet now?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Chase McGuire
That cast with that director and that budget should sell you regardless of what you know about Dune. But it's also one of the most revered sci-fi novels of all time. Not sure what more you could want from it at this point.
Al Bula
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Am I the only person in the world that doesn't like that song?
nah Leonard Cohen's voice is what it sounds like when you scrape dog sh t off your shoes.

I like that Trump used the song at the RNC and it triggered the ever living f ck outta libs though!
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. I don't care what the movie's about, you show me THAT cast - in an IMAX blockbuster, no less - and I'm in regardless.
Al Bula
AG
C@LAg said:

my problem is that Chalamet just has no charisma whatsoever in the trailer.
wow, well put. This is what i was looking for but you put it way better than I could.

Chalamet could be the new Armie Hammer: overrated and very blah.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Funny you say that cause the movie they did together is one of the best movies of the decade.
redd38
AG
Chase McGuire said:

That cast with that director and that budget should sell you regardless of what you know about Dune. But it's also one of the most revered sci-fi novels of all time. Not sure what more you could want from it at this point.

That attitude is why people think Texas is "back" every year
Chase McGuire
Except this movie has the recruiting, facilities and coaching history to back it up.
TCTTS
AG
redd38 said:

Chase McGuire said:

That attitude is why people think Texas is "back" every year

Denis Villeneuve:

- Prisoners
- Sicario
- Arrival
- Blade Runner 2049

Tom Herman:

-
TCTTS
AG
A decent chunk of additional footage here...

Chase McGuire
He doesn't miss.
Mathguy64
AG
To be fair, if you know the source material you can tell that the trailer really hits the look and tone of the characters. But you have to know the source material. If you have never read the book it was just random snippets of unconnected shots. They gave nothing of the story away in those 3 minutes. You couldn't tell who any of the characters were or what they have to do with any part of the story. You don't see Baron Harkonnen, Feyd or even the Emperor. No Thufir.

That trailer was made for the fans of the book, not for the general moviegoer.
Fenrir
I know almost nothing of dune. I'm down with anything this director makes, especially with a cast that solid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Thanos
Aquaman
Drax the Destroyer
Mary Jane Watson
Poe Dameron

In the same movie.
Duncan Idaho
Mathguy64 said:

To be fair, if you know the source material you can tell that the trailer really hits the look and tone of the characters. But you have to know the source material. If you have never read the book it was just random snippets of unconnected shots. They gave nothing of the story away in those 3 minutes. You couldn't tell who any of the characters were or what they have to do with any part of the story. You don't see Baron Harkonnen, Feyd or even the Emperor. No Thufir.

That trailer was made for the fans of the book, not for the general moviegoer.

The baron is in there twice

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.