***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,399 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeesh, Chani looks gross.

Give me Ray Finkel any day.

Oh and THIS is how you rip off Star Wars for your movie poster.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess I'll be the one guy who likes the poster. Simple, clean, and I like the color. Little derivative, but not a huge problem for me.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Easy, Rod said:

I will pay good money for this poster in English....
PatAg
AG
hunter2012 said:

TCTTS said:

The character posters were great, but the IMAX teaser poster has been the best yet...

This, Dune is as large scale as a space opera can get. If I recall correctly humanity has spread across the known universe so anything that can show such a massive scale is for the better(don't worry that's no spoiler).
This poster is so perfect, that it is crazy to me they felt they need to make a generic boring one instead.
TCTTS
AG
With a cast this great, I get the desire to want to highlight it in a poster. When you have this many stars, it would almost be malpractice not to. But they certainly could have done it in more creative ways.
TCTTS
AG
Slightly better...

PatAg
AG
It just feels like the "montage of faces looking different directions" is played out.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Easy, Rod said:

Yeesh, Chani looks gross.

Oh and THIS is how you rip off Star Wars for your movie poster.

For some reason, looking at this poster, my brain decided to imagine sting singing "I'll cut Paul Atreides." to the same tune as "I want my mtv" from "Money for Nothing".

Money for nothing spice for free.
TCTTS
AG
Valid arguments on both sides between these two threads...

PatAg
AG
I feel like its just the production company having data that suggests "putting the faces of big actors = big box office", and the ROI and having your art team development something iconic is not very good.

As a fan, I want the iconic art and despise lazy and generic posters. Im not under any delusion posters "used to be better", and there have always been posters like this. I'm saying we should have that expectation of new films.
Duncan Idaho
Yes the complaints about this poster are very "abe Simpson". But to me it is just testament to how fantastic everything else we have seen related to this movie is.

This is literally the first thing related to this film that has caused people to say "Meh." Not "what the eff were they thinking?" Not "man they ****ed up there" not "this movie looks terrible"

But
"Meh. I expected more."
bearamedic99
AG
Dammit, now stuck in my head is

I'll cut Paul,
I'll cut Paul,
I'll cut Paul 'treidis

We've got to fight for the house Harkonnen.
Eliminate Atreideeeeeeeeze
PatAg
AG
The good thing is I am fairly certain no one actually involved with making the movie is usually involved with making the poster.

Could be wrong, that is just my understanding.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That is far worse imho.
YouBet
AG
Yes, she's not attractive at all, but she's also probably too young for me to even be commenting on it.
Bird Poo
AG
PatAg said:

I feel like its just the production company having data that suggests "putting the faces of big actors = big box office", and the ROI and having your art team development something iconic is not very good.

As a fan, I want the iconic art and despise lazy and generic posters. Im not under any delusion posters "used to be better", and there have always been posters like this. I'm saying we should have that expectation of new films.
Agreed.

The production company should know the story will sell itself--the actors are a bonus. There are so many fans of the book that are looking forward to the iconic art more than the actors themselves. I hope this movie brings the story ALIVE. The space ports, the spice, the worms. I cannot wait to see how the Bene Gesserit are portrayed.

I haven't looked forward to a movie like this in a long time. I think the LOTR was the last time I was excited to drop everything and go to a theatre.
The Debt
"I need to recognize the actors" posters are cringe. No intrigue. No submersion. No art. Just "setting with human commodities."

Unless you're Nolan you get low-brow posters.

Just look at that cast list from margin to margin. It's like reading the damn matrix
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
PearlJammin said:

PatAg said:

Agreed.

The production company should know the story will sell itself--the actors are a bonus. There are so many fans of the book that are looking forward to the iconic art more than the actors themselves. I hope this movie brings the story ALIVE. The space ports, the spice, the worms. I cannot wait to see how the Bene Gesserit are portrayed.

I haven't looked forward to a movie like this in a long time. I think the LOTR was the last time I was excited to drop everything and go to a theatre.

I'm wondering how much exposition is added to explain all the terminology. The book gives you a terminology guide for reference, but the actual story pretty much just drops you into the world.
Duncan Idaho
Lynch's dune came with a cheat sheet when you bought your ticket

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/dune-confusing-1984-audiences-universal-handed-cheat-sheets.html
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet said:

Yes, she's not attractive at all, but she's also probably too young for me to even be commenting on it.
Yeah well she's a man.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Lynch's dune came with a cheat sheet when you bought your ticket

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/dune-confusing-1984-audiences-universal-handed-cheat-sheets.html

That was a big knock on the theatrical movie cut. If you hadn't read the book, you had no idea who people's characters were. There was.an almost 2 more hour cut that I have seen on TV that fixed this. I just have never seen that cut in. U.S region DVD.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I liked the SyFy Dune miniseries

Chani had some Tig Ol' Bitties
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
That's wild.
Duncan Idaho
Champ Bailey said:

That's wild.

When I went to see the lunch movie, the cashier gave me the sheet. My buddy that read the book grabbed it looked it over real quick and said "yeah. That's not good sign. You're gonna want to read that."
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Champ Bailey said:

That's wild.

When I went to see the lunch movie, the cashier gave me the sheet. My buddy that read the book grabbed it looked it over real quick and said "yeah. That's not good sign. You're gonna want to read that."

Haha and the article talks about how you had all these people squinting in the dark trying to read definitions during the movie. Hopefully they come up with a better way this go around.
YouBet
AG
It's way less complex than Game of Thrones and people got through that just fine.

Not sure why they need to do anything here.
Whos Juan
AG
YouBet said:

It's way less complex than Game of Thrones and people got through that just fine.

Apples and oranges.

With GoT you had a week to look up anything you didn't understand.

2 1/2 hours in a dark theater doesn't give you that opportunity.

I could see a LOTR style prologue to help with world building and historical context.
Bird Poo
AG
I'm wondering how the internal thoughts of Paul will be communicated to the audience. Will there be a voice-over like the first movie?

There is a ton of that in the book and it was very important for the readers to know WTF was going on the entire time.
Decay
AG
I've been interested in this mostly because of Villeneuve and knowing that Dune is a cornerstone of sci-fi, but reading that pamphlet made me wonder if it really is time to read the book. I just bought it but I'm going back and forth if I'd rather see the movie or just knock this book out first. Thoughts?
Whos Juan
AG
PearlJammin said:

I'm wondering how the internal thoughts of Paul will be communicated to the audience. Will there be a voice-over like the first movie?

There is a ton of that in the book and it was very important for the readers to know WTF was going on the entire time.
record scratch + freeze frame.
YouBet
AG
Whos Juan said:

YouBet said:

Apples and oranges.

With GoT you had a week to look up anything you didn't understand.

2 1/2 hours in a dark theater doesn't give you that opportunity.

I could see a LOTR style prologue to help with world building and historical context.
Yes, but LOTR is also a great example. I just don't see this as any more complex than numerous other big cast/big theme movies that have come out since 1984 though.

The internal dialogue deal is a challenge. I will say I'm about to start my re-read and maybe I'll change my opinion after I get into it.

To me, though, it just feels like people have adjusted to "big" movies like this and it won't be the detriment that everyone thinks it is.
AliasMan02
AG
YouBet said:

Well especially in the Lynch version you get dropped right into the middle. "Hi I'm Princess Irulan. Here's three minutes of exposition. See you again when I reappear in 2.5 hours. Good luck!"
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

You must have forgotten the early season non-Spoiler threads on this board full of whiners complaining there were too many guys with beards to tell apart.
Claude!
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

YouBet said:

You must have forgotten the early season non-Spoiler threads on this board full of whiners complaining there were too many guys with beards to tell apart.
I feel the same way at the Orthodox Jewish Convention every year.
bobinator
AG
I assume there will probably be some kind of stage-setting cold open like LOTR.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.