***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,400 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bonfarr said:

I generally like Mamoa when he is kicking ass and not expected to talk.much similar to Arnold in the Conan movies. I was at Celebrity Fan Fest in SA after the Game of Thrones finale and in a panel discussion someone asked him if he would consider doing a remake of the Schwarzenegger/DeVito "Twins" movie with him and Peter Dinklage in the starring role and he said "**** yeah". I would love to see that.
Ha! That would be awesome!
Claude!
YouBet said:

bonfarr said:

I generally like Mamoa when he is kicking ass and not expected to talk.much similar to Arnold in the Conan movies. I was at Celebrity Fan Fest in SA after the Game of Thrones finale and in a panel discussion someone asked him if he would consider doing a remake of the Schwarzenegger/DeVito "Twins" movie with him and Peter Dinklage in the starring role and he said "**** yeah". I would love to see that.
Except Dinklage needs to be the hyper-competent fish out of water, and Momoa should be the sleazy failure.
TCTTS
AG
November 22.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Hmm. What part of the movie is that still from in the tweet? Don't recognize it off the bat.

I did have to get up at one point to take a leak, so maybe it was then.
TCTTS
AG
I think from or having to do with one of his visions.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

I think from or having to do with one of his visions.
I figured so. And who knows which one even, there were many and some of them were cut quickly, so a still can be tough to place a week after the fact.
NE PA Ag
Finally went and saw the movie last night and as a long time fan of the books and someone who can't look away from the 1984 movie when I run across it, despite its many well known flaws, I say bravo!!!

Right out of the gate in the opening scene, so much is explained by Chani in a few lines about what's happening. Awesome job taking a very complex story and piecing it together in a way that can be followed. Leaving out certain details that a fan of the book might find annoying (what's a Mentat exactly??) actually helps smooth it out in my opinion. I only wish a better understanding of the absence of "thinking machines" was presented, but this is a minor quibble.

Most important for anyone reading this who is not familiar with the story and is trying to decide about seeing it. I took my wife and she really was only going because she knows how excited I was to see it. She's not the biggest Sci Fi fan and can easily lose attention if a film is confusing and too hard to follow. I gave her a thin overview of the background of Herbert's universe, but she otherwise had no knowledge of the story. She absolutely loved it and is totally in, can't wait for the second movie

Carlo4
AG
Claude! said:

YouBet said:

bonfarr said:

Except Dinklage needs to be the hyper-competent fish out of water, and Momoa should be the sleazy failure.
Shut up and take my money!
mazag08
AG
I'm almost starting to think this should have been a tv show. They could have had a first season similar to the Witcher where they set up the plot of the actual show by doing some the world and character building.
The Porkchop Express
In one of the most random coincidences of my entire life, my daughter had asked to see one of my old high school yearbooks today, so I dug one out and we were thumbing through it. On this random page, a particular name popped out at me. Enjoy.

C@LAg
YOU KNOW ORIT ARAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
schmidthead
Good god where did you go to school?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
schmidthead said:

Good god where did you go to school?
Caladan High?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
C@LAg said:

YOU KNOW ORIT ARAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better not tell Aviv.
DallasTeleAg
I thought it was... good. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

One of my biggest complaints is I think it suffers from filmmaking that makes at least 30% of the movie hard to even understand. When your blasting your score at me, along with all the sounds in the movie, and your characters are mumbling things, I just can't freaking understand it.

Sometimes I think i'm just getting old, but then there are plenty of other movies I don't have any problems hearing.

Obviously, the visuals, sets, CGI, etc are all top notch. Not a single complaint on any of that. I also personally didn't have a problem with Mamoa, at all. Most of the casting I felt was very good.

I guess one of my problems with the movie is also one of my problems with the book. I find a lot about the story to be a little messy and not giving enough description, for my liking. I'm not asking for a huge exposition dump, but I just think the story could be told better. I don't think Dune would even crack into my top 20 fantasy/sci-fi novels list.

Hopefully, one of these days we can see another great fantasy novel brought to the screen with the same level of visuals
Chipotlemonger
AG
Maybe this should be another thread, but please feel free to list your top 20 sci-fi/fantasy novels then.
DallasTeleAg
Chipotlemonger said:

Maybe this should be another thread, but please feel free to list your top 20 sci-fi/fantasy novels then.
That would definitely be another thread. Not starting a fantasy novel debate in the Dune thread.
Chipotlemonger
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

That would definitely be another thread. Not starting a fantasy novel debate in the Dune thread.

Consider the gauntlet thrown then. Go make a thread with your top 20.
DallasTeleAg
Chipotlemonger said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

The "gauntlet"?

Enjoyment of stories is about personal preference. We all generally tend to prefer certain types of stories or certain authors' "voices". Frank Herbert just is not my favorite writer.

Not trying to get in a pissing match with Dune fanboys by accepting a "gauntlet". Suffice it to say, I would rather reread about 90% of Sanderson and Butcher before Dune... that would get me over 20 books. My love of a story tends to have a lot to do with my love of the characters. I really am not that attached to any of the characters in Dune. I find several to be fairly bland, including Paul.

Dune as a book is okay. Glad I read it because of its importance to the sci-fi genre, but will probably never reread it.

Dune the movie was good. It kept my attention for the entire run time, for the most part. However, I have my issues with it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Post it here then, everyone loves when this thread gets bumped:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2328229
The Porkchop Express
DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Chipotlemonger said:

The "gauntlet"?

Enjoyment of stories is about personal preference. We all generally tend to prefer certain types of stories or certain authors' "voices". Frank Herbert just is not my favorite writer.

Not trying to get in a pissing match with Dune fanboys by accepting a "gauntlet". Suffice it to say, I would rather reread about 90% of Sanderson and Butcher before Dune... that would get me over 20 books. My love of a story tends to have a lot to do with my love of the characters. I really am not that attached to any of the characters in Dune. I find several to be fairly bland, including Paul.

Dune as a book is okay. Glad I read it because of its importance to the sci-fi genre, but will probably never reread it.

Dune the movie was good. It kept my attention for the entire run time, for the most part. However, I have my issues with it.
If you got that upset about it, definitely don't make your list.
DallasTeleAg
Lol, upset? Texags and its trolling.
Chipotlemonger
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

It's not a pissing match. I think me and everyone else is legitimately curious what you would fill your top 20 with. If you don't feel like doing that, then maybe don't use such hyperbole in your post.
schmendeler
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Dune is considered one of if not the best sci fi novel ever. I think it's fair to ask on a discussion board for some of the ones you think are better. It would be like saying you can think of 20 better NBA players than Michael Jordan. It's quite an opinion that needs further explanation!
DallasTeleAg
Chipotlemonger said:

DallasTeleAg said:

It's not a pissing match. I think me and everyone else is legitimately curious what you would fill your top 20 with. If you don't feel like doing that, then maybe don't use such hyperbole in your post.
You literally said "Consider the gauntlet thrown". Hyperbole that immediately takes an antagonistic stand against anything I would say. And I doubt anyone on the Dune thread cares what my favorite 20 fantasy/sci-fi novels are.

No, i'm not going to jump when you say jump. I will state my opinion on an opinion board and go back to enjoying my day.
ord89
AG
Why was it raining on Selusa Secundus?
Ord89
Chipotlemonger
AG
Alright, I'll just ignore your baseless opinion then!

(Agreed that it's like saying Jordan isn't a top 20 player all time then just walking away)
SpreadsheetAg
AG
ord89 said:

Why not? It's described as a "Harsh" planet known for being the former seat of House Corrino, now a prison planet, and breeding ground for the hardy Sardaukar warriors used by the Imperial Military.

Harsh to me means terrible storms, hotter highs, lower lows, long droughts, etc... not necessarily barren.
ord89
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

ord89 said:

Why not? It's k oh described as a "Harsh" planet known for being the former seat of House Corrino, now a orison planet, and breeding ground for the hardy Sardaukar warriors used by the Imperial Military.

Harsh to me means terrible storms, hotter highs, lower lows, long droughts, etc... not necessarily barren.

I will have to go look, but I recall it being described as Arakis Lite.
Ord89
Chipotlemonger
AG
ord89 said:

I starred this post just for the randomness and timing
Bird Poo
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

ord89 said:

Why not? It's described as a "Harsh" planet known for being the former seat of House Corrino, now a prison planet, and breeding ground for the hardy Sardaukar warriors used by the Imperial Military.

Who were the dudes hanging upside-down in the Sulsa scene?
Claude!
PearlJammin said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

ord89 said:

Who were the dudes hanging upside-down in the Sulsa scene?
I don't think it's ever spelled out, but I took them to be prisoners or failed Sardaukar.
Duncan Idaho
Since they were being ritually bleed and using the blood to mark the Sardaukar, I dont like the idea of failed Sardaukar.

Prisoners makes more sense but the idea I like (because of how absolutely brutal and cultish it is), is that they are sacrificed Sardaukar like Lief in the first season of Vikings.
Bird Poo
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Since they were being ritually bleed and using the blood to mark the Sardaukar, I dont like the idea of failed Sardaukar.

Prisoners makes more sense but the idea I like (because of how absolutely brutal and cultish it is), is that they are sacrificed Sardaukar like Lief in the first season of Vikings.

It did seem like they were crucified upside-down, which is apparently more painful then the other way.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
In the book, they think the Sardaukar are a mix of prisoners and the Emperor's levies from the Great Houses. I think it would be creepy cool if the sacrifices are the levies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.