***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,402 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HYC_AG said:

The Hobbit is a children's book and not difficult…

I did an oral book report on the Hobbit in 5th grade. Let's be honest though, it was more based around my having listened to this record a few hundred times.

TombstoneTex
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I haven't read this thread or watched any media on this in weeks but am just here to say I am ****ing stoked.

I'm sorry - this is "The Hobbit" thread now. Please stay on topic!
powerbelly
AG
c-jags said:

C@LAg said:

PatAg said:

This is a sidebar, but are you saying you had to read The Hobbit in school for a class? That's crazy.
Honors English Lit class

My 6th grader had to read it last year. I was all "dude I barely made it through the The Hobbit in HS and I was a fantasy nerd."

I let him watch the movies as he got through that part of the book so it was a little broken up.

Classical school.
chilidogfood
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah I'm a bit confused. I read The Hobbit in one sitting at a B&N.
Unpossible. This book was obviously so incredibly deep as to require (3) full length movies to cover.
Philip J Fry
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Philip J Fry said:

Hunt for red October
Gotta disagree. The movie was good but there was so much more in the book. No Clancy-based movie has ever been better than the books IMO, although THFRO was easily the most crowd-pleasing.

Hi blew it when he had the alpha melt down on the way to the fight, IMHO.
The Collective
AG
Let's get this back on topic...

TCTTS - I'm planning to watch Dune on my bedroom's 32 inch screen TV streaming under semi-rural bandwidth limitations, so it will be heavily compressed. Do you have any thoughts?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
chilidogfood said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah I'm a bit confused. I read The Hobbit in one sitting at a B&N.
Unpossible. This book was obviously so incredibly deep as to require (3) 3+hour full length movies to cover.
YouBet
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

I was referring to everyone having read The Hobbit in school, not LOTR. And because of The Hobbit, so many people already knew what hobbits were, what the general setting was, etc. In that sense, I would say more people were familiar with The Hobbit/LOTR going into those movies than are with Dune going into this movie.

Regardless, the LOTR movies were four quadrant family affairs that basically defined Christmas, pop-culture-wise, for thee straight years. Dune doesn't have that four quadrant family vibe, nor has it planted its flag as some kind of massive release that defines a particular season.

I know my friends and I were there opening day for Fellowship, and we talked people who had not heard of it into going to see it with us. There were a lot more people in my social group that had not read the books than people who had but still saw it opening weekend.

I wonder if Dune, as a book and culturally relevant touchstone, just hasn't stayed as relevant with the middle school-college age crowd as time passes by?

This is a sidebar, but are you saying you had to read The Hobbit in school for a class? That's crazy.
I think one difference is that The Hobbit/LOTR effectively started an entire genre of books: Fantasy. Even if it technically didn't it's considered the Father of Fantasy. So, it will always have that first mover advantage whereas Dune isn't considered the Father of SciFi. SciFi has been in the public conscious for longer even if it was a bunch of campy movies and non-serious subject matter.

Dune was probably one of the first serious sci-fi novels that incorporated grand political and class themes. And it came out in the '60s during a turbulent point in American history. It's considered one of the seminal works of sci-fi but not the beginning of it like Tolkien was for Fantasy.

Plus, the output of novels and breadth of ideas within sci-fi is much more vast and deep than fantasy that there has subsequently been a lot books and authors for Dune to compete with over the years.
Red Five
AG
I Have Spoken said:

TCTTS - I'm planning to watch Dune on my bedroom's 32 inch screen TV streaming under semi-rural bandwidth limitations, so it will be heavily compressed. Do you have any thoughts?

TCTTS, probably
Duncan Idaho
This is a good watch

StinkyPinky
AG
Here's the question. How many people with HBOMax will watch on the streaming service, or will instead go the cinematic route (Imax?)?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have HBO Max here. Never even entered my brain to watch it at home.

IMAX tonight at 6 pm.
powerbelly
AG
Bonzer103 said:

Here's the question. How many people with HBOMax will watch on the streaming service, or will instead go the cinematic route (Imax?)?
I am going to watch it at home and if it is good I will find a time to go to the imax.
PDWT_12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

IMAX tonight at 6 pm.
Yep. Tickets at 7 for IMAX tonight. I may watch it again at home, but honestly if I love it as much as I'm hoping, I may do a second watch in theaters before it leaves which I almost never do.
A is A
AG
I Have Spoken said:

I have thoughts - but cannot express them because of texags TOS.
Decay
AG
Watching a pirated copy on a second monitor while focusing on work or nothing
StinkyPinky
AG
Thinking I may do a Sunday afternoon Imax (Cowboys bye, wife working). Was going to do it in reverse and watch at home first and then theatre if it delivers, but have too many good things since the UK release and critic pre-watches that it sounds lime it delivers.
Claude!
Streaming. I have no special affinity for the theater experience.
Cromagnum
AG
Thanos and Apocalypse join forces at last to put an end to the Avengers and the X-Men.
Decay
AG
Shield belts are now wrist watches? Am I just now hearing about this?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
#notmydune
Faustus
Decay said:

The fanny pack shield belts didn't test well with audiences.
Duncan Idaho
Faustus said:

Decay said:

The fanny pack shield belts didn't test well with audiences.

Rumor is this is why The Rock wouldn't attach to the project.

https://imgur.com/t/funny/wqH71aD

YouBet
AG
Decay said:

I had Pac Man on my watch in mid 80s. This is thousands of years into mankind's future. Watches are easier than belts.

Granted, a pac man watch would have been outlawed during the Butlerian Jihad.
The Dog Lord
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

IMAX tonight at 6 pm.
Same. This is the kind of movie that needs to be seen in IMAX even though I would prefer to be more comfortable at home.
PatAg
AG
Streaming tonight, Imax on the weekend with friends.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
After where this thread turned, if Paul doesn't have large hairy feet I may feel disappointed
YouBet
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

After where this thread turned, if Paul doesn't have large hairy feet I may feel disappointed

We will need overwhelming gay undertones with his fellow Fremen as well.
javajaws
AG
You'll are giving TCTTS too much ammo for his Spice Girls sequel script!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
C@LAg
YouBet said:

We will need overwhelming gay undertones with his fellow Fremen as well.
Wish granted: Timothy Chalewhatevers permanent emo-face means every look at any other character is a half-lidded longing gaze.
chilidogfood
AG
If Orion's Belt is a belt, than I dont have a problem with a bracelet being a belt. Carry on.

PDWT_12
AG
Also wanted to say, Prisoners (2013) is one of the only DV movies I hadn't seen yet so I watched it yesterday.

Dark and intense, but awesome. Incredible performance by the entire cast really, but Jackman especially. Easily one of my favorite working directors right now.
wangus12
AG
javajaws said:

You'll are giving TCTTS too much ammo for his Spice Girls sequel script!

I mean now due to recent changes on TexAgs, TC has to write, direct and produce the TexAgs Eboard original movie
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

Hairy feet do hold more moisture.
C@LAg
Champ Bailey said:

Hairy feet do hold more moisture.
or maybe they sweat more because they get too hot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.