***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

220,856 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PDWT_12 said:

No inside knowledge or anything but I would not be surprised if they're saving those three for the second movie.

I could see this for the emperor and the princess especially if they are just talked about by the Duke and Baron. But Feyd seems he would have too much interaction with the Baron and Beast since they are in the movie.
TexAgBolter
AG
So is the fat guy between the Duke and Paul the mentat, Thufir Hawat(sp?)?
Duncan Idaho
PatAg said:

I imagine him playing a similar style to his Stargate Atlantis character

Underrated show, imo

My second favorite stargate show.
Duncan Idaho
TexAgBolter said:

Can't see his lips on my phone
TCTTS
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Agreed. What do you think of your name sake? I think a lot of people had reservations on Mamoa but I might already be sold just on that one image. I couldn't picture Drogo or Aquaman as Idaho, but what we're getting appears to be a completely different version of him in my mind. Very cool.

Just FYI, this is also Mamoa here...

TCTTS
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not to mention these landscapes and cinematography are ON POINT. (By the guy who shot Rogue One, btw.)
Also worked on the Mandalorian and is working on the new Batman movie as well. Dude's been busy.

Love the set pics so far, and I just get the feeling that Denis is nailing it from the way he describes some of the characters and how the movie should feel. Don't really care a whole lot about the gender swapping of certain character, she looks cool in the pictures and I can see how it could work I guess.

So if TENET is going to hold to it's current date (and what a gamble that could pay off massively for them), and Dune is as well, will we be getting a trailer for it soon? Seems like those usually drop relatively quickly after these Vanity Fair pieces right?

It's so hard to tell. As for the timing of the Vanity Fair pics, for The Rise of Skywalker, they came a month or so after the first trailer, and for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the first trailer didn't come until two months after the first VF pics. But in general, yes, the first trailer usually follows shortly in the wake of the first official stills.

That said, this situation is obviously unique. My bet is that even Warner Bros. still doesn't know when they're going to release the first trailer. I'm sure they have multiple scenarios in place, but the Vanity Fair spread was likely already in motion before the virus hit, since these stills and the article will be in the print version as well. There are some things that just can't be reversed. For instance, there's a print clothing campaign with the director of No Time to Die that just hit, for the promotion of that movie, that couldn't be stopped despite the release date change. I have no idea if that's the case here, but it's a possibility.

Either way, even with WB's bold stance to keep Tenet in July as of now, as much as I want it to, I still don't see that happening. And as I've said previously, if Tenet moves, Dune likely moves as well. Tenet's final trailer was scheduled to hit with Black Widow the last week of April/the first weekend of May. So we'll know if WB holds to that trailer release window in a couple of weeks. If WB triples down, and does release the final Tenet trailer then, I would expect the first Dune to trailer to follow within a month or so after, but I would be shocked if it hits before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man, I almost can't remember life before covid.

We haven't had any major trailers in what, a month now?
PDWT_12
AG
That all makes perfect sense and it's not what I want to hear so I'm going to ignore it.

Thanks.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
TexAgBolter said:

Yes it is.
TCTTS
AG
New image of Zendaya/Chani...

(removed:110205)
Duncan Idaho said:

Is this where I am supposed to get triggered?

Because she looks bad ass. And that still suit is perfect.

At least its a relatively minor character. Shouldnt distract too much.
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So.... Brazil?
lurker76
Saw that on Reddit yesterday. The OP said it was Norway. He knew they were filming a movie, but had no idea what it was. Said he was too busy to take the time to go watch. Was very surprised when that shot popped up in the VF article.
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Can't wait for this movie!
TCTTS
AG
I'm so confused by some of these names. So in this world, there are people named "Paul," "Jessica," and "Wellington," but then also people named "Thufir Hawat" and "Liet Kynes" and the like?

On that note, I know it's a completely different solar system or galaxy or whatever, but are some/all of these people actual human beings, whose ancestors originated on Earth, and this is the far future, or is this more of a Star Wars kind of thing and it's just people who happen to look and act like Earthlings, but there's never mention of Earth, historically or otherwise?
PDWT_12
AG
Someone with more knowledge can speak about the names but I guess it's kind of along the same lines as a Luke character and a character named Obi-Wan.

As for the second question Earth is referenced in the books, it's in our "universe" or whatever you want to call it. Although I can't remember if it even is inhabited or exists by the time of the events in the first book.
TCTTS
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Someone with more knowledge can speak about the names but I guess it's kind of along the same lines as a Luke character and a character named Obi-Wan.

As for the second question Earth is referenced in the books, it's in our "universe" or whatever you want to call it. Although I can't remember if it even is inhabited or exists by the time of the events in the first book.

That's all I needed to hear. If Earth, at one point, was a thing in this universe, I can totally believe that "Paul"s and "Thufir"s exist together. Thanks for the explanation.
Claude!
1. Multiple cultures, multiple naming conventions
2. Far future humans
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
TCTTS said:

PDWT_12 said:

That's all I needed to hear. If Earth, at one point, was a thing in this universe, I can totally believe that "Paul"s and "Thufir"s exist together. Thanks for the explanation.

Earth has been lost, or at least is ignored, but everyone is "human" based. They used to travel by a more conventional method but when spice was discovered everything changed. The spice must flow.
TCTTS
AG
I guess I should have phrased my question not in relation to the more culturally diverse names, but rather if the existence of "Paul"s and "Jessica"s meant that Earth was part of these people's history. Makes sense.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know. It makes little difference ultimately, but I prefer sci-fi like this when it's technically "our" future, so I'm gad to hear.
Duncan Idaho
The story is set 10000 years after the founding of the spacing guild., Which is something like 20,000 BCE

Everyone is human. But some are for a lack of better word, more evolved. Then there are the navigators, which are human but transformed by the spice.

Jews are still a thing. But most other religions have changed with most merging.
TCTTS
AG
Wow, ok. That's pretty cool.
Quad Dog
AG
House Atreides claims their ancestry comes from a noble family in Greece, specifically Agamemnon. Without giving too much away their universe is set in our far far future with a major event in our future that creates their culture, politics, rules, etc. Each major house basically rules a different planet. Those planets can explain the different names and cultures, etc. Pretty similar to the Star Wars setup if set with Earth future, but not different aliens, all humans instead.
TCTTS
Duncan Idaho
It is almost perfect world building. Herbert explained just enough and left most unexplained.

Lynch's movie came with a one pager that they gave you when you went into the theater. It did an ok job of paying out the major background
Duncan Idaho
Here is an article about the band out

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/See-Original-Dune-Handout-Helped-Fans-Follow-Along-66855.html
TCTTS
AG
Everything about that is wild.
Duncan Idaho
It is impossible for me to recommend reading the book enough. I get wanting to see the movie clean but definitely read it afterwards.
TCTTS
AG
I will for sure (after).
The Debt
Duncan Idaho said:

Here is an article about the band out

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/See-Original-Dune-Handout-Helped-Fans-Follow-Along-66855.html

Many of those can be understood by the context clues.

They said "carryall" and showed an aircraft picking up a harvester. Gee...what are they referring to?
Duncan Idaho
Yeah it wasn't as insightful as I remembered
AliasMan02
AG
Others have done a good job explaining the culture, but a simpler answer is that almost everyone has vaguely alien sounding names except the characters who serve as the vessels for the reader... Jessica largely at first and then Paul. A couple of other relatively familiar "Earth names" might even be viewed as fake outs because it ties them to the most important characters in kind of a subliminal way and then subverts your expectations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.