***DUNE*** (Denis Villeneuve)

221,304 Views | 2442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bird Poo
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dune-prequel-house-atreides-comic-adaptation-works-1294026
TCTTS
AG
Question... how "physical" is Paul's character supposed to be? Is he ultimately supposed to be a *leader* and that's it or is he supposed to be some kind of fierce warrior as well?

I like Timothee Chalamet, and I think he'll do great regardless, but looking at some of these picks, he still looks so slight and small. Are we too believe this kid can actually fight or is he just more of an inspirational figure?

powerbelly
AG
He isn't a physically imposing character.
The Debt
TCTTS said:

Question... how "physical" is Paul's character supposed to be? Is he ultimately supposed to be a *leader* and that's it or is he supposed to be some kind of fierce warrior as well?

I like Timothee Chalamet, and I think he'll do great regardless, but looking at some of these picks, he still looks so slight and small. Are we too believe this kid can actually fight or is he just more of an inspirational figure?

He is a young man, pre adult. But the fighting style in the universe isn't MMA. The weirding way, the fighting style, allows the fighters mind to bend reality and space-time.
TCTTS
AG
Good to hear. Thanks.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. That sounds awesome.
YouBet
AG
It finally hit me that Timothee Chalamet is King Henry in The King. I started that movie but haven't finished it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So they're Jedi. Neat.
Cromagnum
AG
The Debt said:

TCTTS said:

He is a young man, pre adult. But the fighting style in the universe isn't MMA. The weirding way, the fighting style, allows the fighters mind to bend reality and space-time.

As long as they stick to the weirding way as a fighting style and stay away from hate weirding module from the 1984 movie.
The Debt
Jedi dont actually bend time or space....they harness the hidden spirit inside the material world. Jedi obey the laws of nature and in order to harness the tangible world.

Dune is more like the vampires from ann rice. But rather than being undead, its spice-induced evolution of man's mind. To the attacker it is a series of simple gestures (to paraphrase brad pitt) to everyone else its WTF just happened.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So they're Jedi. Neat.
So can you level up in the Wierding Way by infusing midichlorians and spice?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So they're Jedi. Neat.
I guess that explains why Kylo Ren was so powerful.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didnt you do the same thing?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The josh brolin and jason momoa characters are real "fighters," one from a slave pit and one from the ultimate sun tzu acadamy, and have taught their Duke's son all they know. But what the spice and the Freman on Dune teach him is each is also just, if not more important.
YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So they're Jedi. Neat.
Which skill tree gets you dual wield?
The Debt
Yep. The scifi channel miniseries did it more along the book.
Al Bula
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dune-prequel-house-atreides-comic-adaptation-works-1294026
abort abort abort!

This is garbage written by frank herbert's son and Kevin j Anderson. Complete fan fiction legitimized by the creator's son to make money. Should not be taken seriously due to it being complete slig (look it up) excrement.
Max Power
AG
I'm almost done with the book. He's never discussed as a large or imposing. When the book starts he's 15 and the family is talked about as being late bloomers. But he's a talented fighter beyond his years as he's been trained from a young age. Specifically they fight with knives, but wearing body shields. Wearing shields forces the fighter to be very technical as you can't get through it with blunt force. Later in the book, I'm guessing where the second film will take place, he's 18.

Paul has to be a young man with an air of confidence, a natural leader of men. The Fremen settle disputes via challenges to the death, so he has to be able to handle himself in a fight with grown men. He's not as large as them but way faster, the type of fighter the Fremen do not have. So Chalamet's size and boyish looks play into the look of Paul, but they'd have to put in time to get him skilled at close combat with a knife to pull it off in the film.
(removed:110205)
The Weirding Way is the name the Fremen give to the Atreides style of fighting. Jessica had helped train some Atreides troops to the level of taking on Sardaukar. It involves the BG training, but not the "ability to bend space and time"...that's the Guild pilot's ability.

Of course, if Liet Kynes is from Wakanda, I suppose the Weirding Way can become teleportation.
AliasMan02
AG
Shife said:

TCTTS said:

abort abort abort!

This is garbage written by frank herbert's son and Kevin j Anderson. Complete fan fiction legitimized by the creator's son to make money. Should not be taken seriously due to it being complete slig (look it up) excrement.

That's the only of the prequels I read, but it will be a way better graphic novel than an actual novel.
The Debt
After thinking on it for a bit, probably the best parallel to cinematography of a Dune-weirding fight would be Jet Lis One. Everyone else is moving in real time, he is able to move independent of that reality.

Start at 2:10

Then imagine a knife fight
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CAD5dIWh1Cs
Al Bula
AG
This is amazing.

TCTTS
AG

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/dune-denis-villeneuve-compares-paul-atreides-to-michael-corleone-exclusive-image/
TCTTS
AG
Btw, we have to be getting close to a trailer at this point. They're releasing images like crazy, and promotional articles are popping up all the time now, it seems. It sounds like Warner Bros is releasing a new Tenet trailer in the next week or two, and then I bet Dune isn't far behind. Maybe the first week of June or so?
PatAg
AG
I saw this on my phone first and was wondering why he was wearing jeans.
TCTTS
AG
That would actually be kind of awesome.
rfvgy12
AG
Shield on the back of his hand
“If one side is protesting racism, then the other side is counter protesting racism.” @thekellenmond
In response to pro Sul Ross statue protesters and fellow Aggies.
Quad Dog
AG
Same thing on the back of his dad's hand.
YouBet
AG
They actually kind of look like one another.
PatAg
AG
So our first shot of the sandworms will 100% be at the end of the first trailer right?

Maybe early on in the trailer we will get a shot of the displaced sand, showing that a worm had come through, and at the end we physically see it.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.slashfilm.com/dune-sandworms-design-denis-villeneuve/#more-618223
BigBrother
AG
Spoiler Golden path discussion:

This isn't meant to be political, but I recently reread the Dune books. They're actually quite brilliant. As I understand it, Leto's Golden Path was many things, among them was a centuries-long effort to remove human patterns and apathy from the human race so we don't' render ourselves extinct.

He essentially "trapped" generations of people in a stale existence that chafed at who we are as warm-blooded animals. He didn't allow violence (except by him) and made the entire human race realize that peace was, in many respects, not what people truly wanted. They wanted good. They wanted bad. They wanted struggle. This is what gives us purpose as opposed to mere existence.

When he was killed, the human race expanded, and became more violent than ever before because of the cycles in human behavior Leto broke, right?

(Again, not trying to be political) I observe today how people are being asked to stay home, and no matter what side you're on regarding that issue, everyone seems to be seeking out the conflict. Everyone is looking for purpose and struggle, even when we could be relaxing about our homes in "peace". Many of us are really having a tough time for various reasons after 2-3 months of quarantine. Imagine the ramifications of being forcefully kept this way for a millennia?! It would definitely take an emperor to force that to happen, though I'm not sure that we'd branch out afterwards, or just be mindless drones.

TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.